PDA

View Full Version : Are you excited about hiring Hermiel?

the Talking Can
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm not.

Are you?

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Excited? No.

Resigned to the fact? Long ago.

Open-minded? Yes.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 06:00 PM
No.

But after the initial "Oh fuuuudge! Thanks, Carl", I'll be in his corner.

the Talking Can
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
yeah, I'll root for the home team...I'm just saying, it reeks of Carl playing it safe...

keep Gun, let AS go...doesn't make sense to me....

Rausch
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I'd be orgasmic if we landed Capers as DC...

Nick Athan
01-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh; wow. I wish we at www.warfieldillustrated.com had thought for that. Hermeil; man; you our clever.

DaWolf
01-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Frankly there weren't many names I would have been "excited" about hiring. If I'm a Vikings fan, I wouldn't say I'd be "excited" over Brad Childress. If I'm a Jets fan, I'm not "excited" about the Jim Haslett rumors. I'd be "excited" if Jimmy Johnson were coming in. I'd be intruiged if Butch Davis were taking over based on his Miami days. I'd be very fascinated if a college coach like Stoops were taking over, only because of the unknown factor.

Like SK said, excited no, open minded yes...

Herzig
01-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I am...he was defensive coordinator of the 2000 Ravens Superbowl defense..he didn't have much to work with in New Jersey. I'll give him a chance.

tk13
01-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't know if I'm excited. I'm optimistic. I think Herm's a good fit for the team we have. I've always been a big Herm fan, but I think he fits what we have, a veteran team with some good young defensive players, and a running back that's about to destroy the NFL.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Maybe not being excited is a good thing for you guys. I look at and think ... hmmm, if they could retain Al for the offense, sure go for it. But, Herm is a defensive guy and you have Gunther, will they clash? Is Gunther out?

Was it Gunther that didn't make the defense special? Was it again the talent? I dunno... like many here in the preseason, I thought the offseason defensive additions were good and I was fearful. However, they were hit and miss most of the season...

I dunno, as a rival fan... I'm optimistic that it will be more of the same, but it all rides on the offseason. Will they keep the guys they have or overhaul 2-3 positions?

I don't look at Herm as being any better of a HC than Vermeil. I rank him outside the top 10 HC candidates that I'd like to have for my team, but who knows.

I think KC has had enough of hiring from within the "family" if you know what I mean. I think KC would have been better served going outside their comfort zone, but this is how CP operates.

Do you guys get a new 5-year plan with each new HC? Honestly, for you guys... I do hope they figure this shit out. KC fans are incredibly faithful and you deserve postseason glory.

the Talking Can
01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
I think KC has had enough of hiring from within the "family" if you know what I mean. I think KC would have been better served going outside their comfort zone, but this is how CP operates.

that's my opinion exactly...we'd never hire the next Fox or Lewis or Gruden or Reid...too risky

RealSNR
01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
Maybe not being excited is a good thing for you guys. I look at and think ... hmmm, if they could retain Al for the offense, sure go for it. But, Herm is a defensive guy and you have Gunther, will they clash? Is Gunther out?

Was it Gunther that didn't make the defense special? Was it again the talent? I dunno... like many here in the preseason, I thought the offseason defensive additions were good and I was fearful. However, they were hit and miss most of the season...

I dunno, as a rival fan... I'm optimistic that it will be more of the same, but it all rides on the offseason. Will they keep the guys they have or overhaul 2-3 positions?

I don't look at Herm as being any better of a HC than Vermeil. I rank him outside the top 10 HC candidates that I'd like to have for my team, but who knows.

Do you guys get a new 5-year plan with each new HC? Honestly, for you guys... I do hope they figure this shit out. KC fans are incredibly faithful and you deserve postseason glory.Wow... that's a really classy post.

You've got to be a Chiefs fan. Seriously.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow... that's a really classy post.

No. :) As a rival fan, I :clap: the hire for the reasons I posted. However, as a football fan, I can feel your pain. I think CP continually dicks the organization and until he is gone or a miracle happens, I just can't see anything changing.

Shanahan gets laughed at and questioned by everyone (esp reasonable Broncos' fans) for some of his moves, yet they pan out more often than not. He takes chances and isn't afraid to get burned. KC needed to do that this time, in my opinion.

The offense is great, but it's getting really old... KC is the offense and it has about a year left when you look at that Oline. Who knows what happens after that.

Dayze
01-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I can't stand 90% of Denver fans.

MHM isn't in that category. Nice post.

stevieray
01-06-2006, 06:29 PM
No. :)

The offense is great, but it's getting really old... KC is the offense and it has about a year left when you look at that Oline. Who knows what happens after that.

Disagree.

HemiEd
01-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Excited? No.

Open-minded? Yes.

what he said.

Dayze
01-06-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm excited. Sounds like I'm in the minority.
If he/the Chiefs tank, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

I guess stopping by the "Head Coach Store" isn't an option, contrary to popular belief.

Frankie
01-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow... that's a really classy post.

MHM is about the only Broncos fan I consider an honorary Chiefs fan. He's been pretty classy as long as I remember. :thumb:

Nzoner
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Excited,no,however,I'll try and stay optimistic,I still won't be renewing my season tickets though.

Frankie
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm excited. Sounds like I'm in the minority.
If he/the Chiefs tank, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

I guess stopping by the "Head Coach Store" isn't an option, contrary to popular belief.
This was going to be MY post AFTER we had hired Al Saunders.

the Talking Can
01-06-2006, 06:35 PM

me too

jAZ
01-06-2006, 06:36 PM
It seems the posters with long names agree, Hermy sucks!

YES [ 11 ] * 47.83%
Archie Bunker, Bwana, DaFace, Herzig, icepick64, jAZ, PriestMVP31, Rausch, SLAG02
NO [ 12 ] 52.17%
Cochise, Dave Lane, FloridaChief, HemiEd, KCFalcon59, Laz, Mile High Mania, Nzoner 338, oaklandhater, steelyeyed57, the Talking Can, WilliamTheIrish

Dayze
01-06-2006, 06:37 PM

That's fair.

I'm also just excited for somewhat of a change. The DV time was great at times, and fun but it's definately time to move on. At least our off-season/next year will be interesting to say the least.

VonneMarie
01-06-2006, 06:39 PM
I voted yeah. What the hell...

Mr. Laz
01-06-2006, 06:41 PM
they didn't have to go a head coaching store, contrary to your smartass remark ... there were many,many candidates available.

Carl chose his friend ........ period

the success or failure of that pick is all on him

Frankie
01-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I can't stand 90% of Denver fans.

MHM isn't in that category. Nice post.
Are you saying MHM is 10% of their fan base? Let's see... :hmmm: ...That puts the total of their fans at 10. Chargers category. No. You're wrong. The Donks have at least twice that number of fans.

Archie Bunker
01-06-2006, 06:47 PM
I think he is a perfect fit. I think the offense will survive without Al and Herm should improve the D. I am interested to see what kind of coaching staff he brings in and what changes he makes.

Herm was the coach I wanted from the start and I am glad that the Chiefs got him.

milkman
01-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I believe William the Irish said it best.

I wish Carl a long life of erectile dysfunction.

Biggs
01-06-2006, 06:51 PM
I'm very excited Herm is going to the Chiefs. I was afraid he would end up in the NFC.

RedandGold
01-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Count me in with the "excited" group. Considering the other HC options that were available (Capers, Haslett, Fassel, Stoops, Saunders), I believe that we ended up with the coach that was the best fit for the direction we needed after the Vermeil era.

We needed a coach with a sense for defense, but still had the charisma and character that Vermiel displayed.

I believe that it will be a seamless transition, and I am definitely more optimistic about our chances next season than I would have been if we ended up with one of the other HC options.

Frankie
01-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Carl chose his friend ........ period

the success or failure of that pick is all on him

Exactly my sentiment.

Herm seems to be a good guy and I have never disliked him. But I would have been excited had Carl taken a pill for his ego and hired the obvious choice, Al Saunders. In fact a couple of candidates of unknown HC potential (Cameron, Rivera) would have excited me more than this hire.

KChiefs1
01-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Excited is a strong word.

I'm happy with the hiring...I believe the Chiefs could have hired a lot worse than Herm. I've watched several former NFL players(Kevin Porter, Neil Smith, Rod Woodson, Terrell Davis, Mark Schlereth, Ron Jaworski) & current/former NFL coaches(Tony Dungy, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka) say it was a fantastic hire. I just think it was the best move on the Chiefs part.

Who would have been a better hire? Haslett? Tice? Martz? Fassell?

Last year at this very same time....the Chiefs couldn't have gotten Herm because he was one of the hottest head coaches around...he had been to the playoffs 3/4 years in his first head coaching job. Belichick couldn't have said that....

irishjayhawk
01-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Rivera or Ferenz may have been better picks in the long run, but outside Saunders, I don't see a better choice.

My list had Herm second, behind Al Saunders. Rivera or Ferenz seems like a Marvin Lewis like signing but with the age of our team, I think we needed someone with experience. Someone young needs to inherit a young team so they can "grow up together" so to say.

Since Al is probably gone, we need Mike Solari to be retained and possibly OC. We could also let, as someone else mentioned, Trent call the plays. The RB coaches need to be retained as well.

As far as defense goes, we need some people to be cut. Both players and coaches should fear for their jobs. Kendrell Bell doesn't top my list unless it is certain Gunther will be retained, as Gunther has yet to use him correctly (either that or he is and just sucks).

Personally, I am neutral on the Gunther bashing. On one hand, it really isn't his fault, given just two years to overhaul a defense. He did a good job on the running side but the passing side has yet to come around. Perhaps the third year is the year for this to gel together. Plus, Vermiel wasn't defensive minded anyway.

On the other hand, he certainly hasn't learned to fit his scheme to the defenders he had. He has done a flat out mediocre job. Nothing can deny this. Sometimes we're hot and sometimes we're just pitiful.

Mile High Mania
01-06-2006, 07:11 PM
MHM is about the only Broncos fan I consider an honorary Chiefs fan. He's been pretty classy as long as I remember. :thumb:

You suck.

Stevieray... do you not think the OL is getting old? I believe LJ is a badass, and that great OL isn't hurting him. There are a couple of guys on the OL that are on their last legs, right? Green is mid 30s, which is where QBs start to go downhill, but I think he has at least 2 really good years in him. I think Kennison has over achieved (and he's up there in years) and has done well, but he's the perfect #2 in this offense. I think Gonzo could be used better.

I know that Green has had a couple of great years passing, but stats can be skewed. We all know that. I think the offense could use a youth injection and defensively, I'm not sure what is the best fix.

I really don't know why Sherman didn't get a look from KC, or a younger "up and comer" talent.

Then again, what do I know... I'm a Broncos' fan. All I know is I hope NE goes to Indy in R2 and wins.

Hammock Parties
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
No. It's an awful hiring. Carl didn't even shop around.

Herm Edwards is the "foot-shuffling porter" of head coaches.

Eleazar
01-06-2006, 07:26 PM
He's not a great coach, he's not a terrible one. Maybe not the best guy out there but let's face it, there wasn't exactly a Bill Belichick out there waiting in the wings.

Do players respond to him? Yes. Has he done well in seasons where he's had consistent quarterbacking? Yes. Do we have more talent in place than maybe he's ever had with the Jets? Probably.

The debating's over, he's our coach, therefore he's got me behind him as a fan.

acasas4
01-06-2006, 07:26 PM
No. I said before IMO Herm will give us more of the same team mediocrity we have become accustomed to. He's in Carl"s good ole boys club. That's why Carl chose him over the others. I hope Herm proves me wrong, I really do and I will support him and the Chiefs now that it's a done deal.

Hammock Parties
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
The debating's over, he's our coach, therefore he's got me behind him as a fan.

Wow. So you would be behind Gunther if he was the new head coach?

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 07:28 PM
It seems the posters with long names agree, Hermy sucks!

Now wait a second.

I don't think I've ever said "Hermy sucks."

For once, I just wanted to get away from the "comfy" Carl pick. (that cost a draft pick.-which I really, really, really dislike)

He's here and I'm helpless to do otherwise. I'll support him.

Also, if he fails to get us to the SB, I will not be pointing fingers and gloating. I'll only be disappointed.

Eleazar
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM

This is my team, I'm here for life, what's done is done, so why not just give him a chance and support him? He's in a better situation now, let's see what he can do with it.

WilliamTheIrish
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I believe William the Irish said it best.

I wish Carl a long life of erectile dysfunction.

Incurable erectile dysfunction.

B2chiefsfan
01-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I'll let you know around week 12 of the 2006 season..............give or take.......

Seriously.........

Bwana
01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
First Choice.........................NO

Will I give him a chance.........YES

Frazod
01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
He's not Vermeil. He may not be my first choice, but not being Vermeil is an excellent start.

brent102fire
01-06-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't know if I'm excited. I'm optimistic. I think Herm's a good fit for the team we have. I've always been a big Herm fan, but I think he fits what we have, a veteran team with some good young defensive players, and a running back that's about to destroy the NFL.
I think Herm Edwards is the cream of the crop in regards to the prospects that are available. I would have to say I'm optimistic. Seems that most of the media here in So Cal think it's a good choice. Guess we'll see over the next year. :toast: :clap: :thumb:

tommykat
01-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm happy with this......heck just wish Vermeil would have stayed 1 more year!!!!

This was probably posted but I found this......http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2282716

Frankie
01-06-2006, 08:06 PM
You suck.
Did I say classy? I was typing fast and typed the extra 'c' and 'l' :p

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 08:11 PM
I'll give him a chance if he can bring John Abraham with him . That would help me deal with Gun still being the DC.

Frankie
01-06-2006, 08:11 PM
I'll let you know around week 12 of the 2006 season..............give or take.......

Seriously.........
Is that good or bad? :shrug:

Frankie
01-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Is that good or bad? :shrug:
Never mind. I thought you were sarcastically prophesizing on Herman as a good or bad coach. I got it now.

milkman
01-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Incurable erectile dysfunction.

Yeah, that.

Ultra Peanut
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Excited? No.

Open-minded? Yes.Well said.

AirForceChief
01-06-2006, 09:27 PM

Just like Bill Murray's character in Stripes: every step of the way...

the Talking Can
01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Rivera or Ferenz may have been better picks in the long run, but outside Saunders, I don't see a better choice.

My list had Herm second, behind Al Saunders. Rivera or Ferenz seems like a Marvin Lewis like signing but with the age of our team, I think we needed someone with experience. Someone young needs to inherit a young team so they can "grow up together" so to say.

Since Al is probably gone, we need Mike Solari to be retained and possibly OC. We could also let, as someone else mentioned, Trent call the plays. The RB coaches need to be retained as well.

As far as defense goes, we need some people to be cut. Both players and coaches should fear for their jobs. Kendrell Bell doesn't top my list unless it is certain Gunther will be retained, as Gunther has yet to use him correctly (either that or he is and just sucks).

Personally, I am neutral on the Gunther bashing. On one hand, it really isn't his fault, given just two years to overhaul a defense. He did a good job on the running side but the passing side has yet to come around. Perhaps the third year is the year for this to gel together. Plus, Vermiel wasn't defensive minded anyway.

On the other hand, he certainly hasn't learned to fit his scheme to the defenders he had. He has done a flat out mediocre job. Nothing can deny this. Sometimes we're hot and sometimes we're just pitiful.

nice post...my hope was Saunders or take a risk (Rivera/Ferentz)...but I can see Edwards being right in the short term (1-2 years)...I'm not sure he was the best long term option (post-Trent/Roaf/Shields)...we'll see

ROYC75
01-06-2006, 10:11 PM
First Choice.........................NO

Will I give him a chance.........YES

Ditto ...... BTW, he was probally my 3rd or 4th choice.

Logical
01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Meh:shrug:

Truth is not excited or displeased. I will be incredibly displeased if Guinta is kept and somewhat displeased if Gunther is kept.

cdcox
01-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I feel more like I did with Gunther than I did with Shottenheimer or Vermiel. With the latter 2 I thought, we had an exciting coach. With Gun I thought, is that really the best we can do? Well, let's wait and see.

Logical
01-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Disagree.I am not sure how you can disagree based on our backups, given that Shields will almost certainly retire this year, Roaf next year, and possibly Wiegman who is 32 (old for a center). Added that are backups have shown they are deplorable I just do not follow your optimism for our o-line beyond next year.

Miles
01-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Not excited but not really opposed to it either. IMO he was one of the better options out there but I'm not exactly enthusiastic about giving up a pick to get him.

I think it will end up being a positive move, but that will depend largely on who the rest of the coaching staff is.

Frankie
01-06-2006, 10:26 PM
I feel more like I did with Gunther than I did with Shottenheimer or Vermiel. With the latter 2 I thought, we had an exciting coach. With Gun I thought, is that really the best we can do? Well, let's wait and see.
Before Carl hired Gun he went after Joe Gibbs and from what I've heard he almost convinced him to come out of retirement.

Miles
01-06-2006, 10:28 PM
I am not sure how you can disagree based on our backups, given that Shields will almost certainly retire this year, Roaf next year, and possibly Wiegman who is 32 (old for a center). Added that are backups have shown they are deplorable I just do not follow your optimism for our o-line beyond next year.

I would have to agree. Like you, I'm just not seeing the depth in our line. Really hoping that Roaf doesn't call it a carreer along with Shields at this point.

Logical
01-06-2006, 10:29 PM
No. It's an awful hiring. Carl didn't even shop around.

Herm Edwards is the "foot-shuffling porter" of head coaches.

Let me just remind you Herm is not Gunther Cunningham, count your blessings.

Logical
01-06-2006, 10:33 PM
I'll give him a chance if he can bring John Abraham with him . That would help me deal with Gun still being the DC.

Is that a fact or is that just a strong rumor, God please let Gun be gone.:grovel:

Tribal Warfare
01-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Is that a fact or is that just a strong rumor, God please let Gun be gone.http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133154

It's still a rumor, but it's probably true:banghead:

Herzig
01-06-2006, 11:24 PM

Of course he is...he's from Arkansas!

D-Day
01-06-2006, 11:31 PM
"I am...he was defensive coordinator of the 2000 Ravens Superbowl defense..he didn't have much to work with in New Jersey. I'll give him a chance."

Shhh. Don't tell him that was Marvin Lewis.

listopencil
01-07-2006, 02:09 AM
I'm surprised that it happened so quickly. I found the process itself exciting so I voted yes. The man hasn't made any impression on me whatsoever as far as coaching ability, but I've seen some entertaining press conferences. He seems fairly hard-nosed and prone to the occasional outburst. That should be interesting.

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2006, 02:13 AM
I'm surprised that it happened so quickly. I found the process itself exciting so I voted yes. ROFL