PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards is a crappier version of Dick Vermiel

Jim Jones
01-06-2006, 07:17 PM
What exactly are we getting with Herm that we didn't already have in Dick Vermiel? Both are nice guys that are "buddy buddy" with players, neither have been known as real "X's and O's" guys, they rely on a lot of inspirational speeches, trying to motivate players that way. Vermiel has a much better career record including Superbowl Rings, and seems to have associated himself with much better assistants over his career then Herm has.

Herm was so loyal to Paul Hackett that the owner had to beg and convince him to let Hackett go.

I just don't see where we are improving at all, we're keeping Gunther and probably losing Al Saunders, and there isn't an OC out there as good as Al. We're replacing one motivational nice guy with a motivational nice guy who isn't as good as the one we had.

Ugh, this is so aggrivating. Can someone who actually likes this move please tell me how it helps us at all? Seems like two steps back to me.

elvomito
01-06-2006, 07:24 PM
his specialty seems to be pass defense

In 1995, he worked as a scout in the pro personnel department and from 1992-94 he served as the Chiefs' defensive backs coach and was credited with the development of CB Dale Carter, the AFC's Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1992 and S Charles Mincy, while also coaching Pro Bowlers S Kevin Ross and CB Albert Lewis. In each of his three seasons as the Chiefs' defensive backfield coach, KC ranked in the NFL's top three in take-aways and in the top 10 in pass defense. The 1992 season saw the Chiefs lead the AFC, and finish second in the NFL, in pass defense, surrendering a mere 158.6 yards per game.

In 1990-91, Edwards was a talent scout for the Chiefs while also serving as an assistant to Tony Dungy, then the Chiefs' defensive backs coach.

Edwards had a major hand in overseeing the NFL's second ranked pass defenses in both 1998 and 1999.
Under Edwards' mentoring Lynch earned three Pro Bowl berths (2000, 1999 and 1998) and Abraham earned one (2000), thus marking the first Pro Bowl appearances by a member of the Tampa Bay defensive backfield since Wayne Haddix in 1990.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/coaches/index.php?coaches_id=3

SLAG
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
I see it more as a Laterial Move, Not a Demotion not a promotion.

But I feel Herms youth will Prove to be the deciding factor.

I just hope he doesnt get us one and done and I pray that between here and NY herm Grows Some balls to go for it on 4th down

LiL stumppy
01-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Herm had a better attitude then Dick.Hes a good coach and can get the players excited.

Taco John
01-06-2006, 07:44 PM
I think Herm will be good for a wild card or two...

nychief
01-06-2006, 07:48 PM
I think Herm will be good for a wild card or two...

shut it.

KChiefs1
01-06-2006, 07:53 PM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-01/21313700.jpg

kcxiv
01-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I am ok with it. I dont mind this at all. first thing we need to do is sniff the damn play offs, then worry about what happens after that. We havent been sniffing shit but everyone elses ass. I think its a good move.

4th and Long
01-06-2006, 07:58 PM
Top Ten Reasons Herm Is Better Than Dick

10. Finally, a coach that isn't 60+ years old.

9. His wife won't interrupt important training camp exercises to deliver a new car.

8. Doesn't have a love thing for some of our crappier players.

7. No running back by committee.

6. Won't break down into tears at the drop of a hat ... any body's hat.

5. Might actually draft a QBOTF.

4. Only cost us a 4th round draft pick ... so far anyway.

3. Won't spit out useless statistics prior to and after each game to defend his position.

2. Won't use phrases like, "Unless he's a turd bird," "It's a gift from Santi Clause," or, "Craphonso's got a boo-boo."

1. Won't make that sucking/inhaling noise during press conferences trying to keep his false teeth in.

Hammock Parties
01-06-2006, 08:05 PM
2. Won't use phrases like, "Unless he's a turd bird," "It's a gift from Santi Clause," or, "Craphonso's got a boo-boo."

Heh. Germ Edwards is a walking dictionary of useless crap like that.

kcfanintitanhell
01-06-2006, 08:11 PM
The thing is, when I'm trying to figure out if he's going to be successful as the HC of the Chiefs, is that he's a cog (granted, a big cog) in a wheel that consists of well over 100 cogs, some bigger than others, but all part of a big wheel. To try and speculate how that wheel is gonna turn before it's even put into gear.....
Tell me, honestly, how does one do it?
I'll wait for awhile.

harpes
01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
There isnt a HC out there that half the football coach wanna B's or Al Bundys out wouldnt hate. If you dont like it get over it and now lets build a championship. I hope Al hangs around but if not we will survive. What we needed was a defensive minded coach that hasnt had a history of doing things only his way and thats what we now have herm

FAX
01-06-2006, 08:28 PM
The thing is, when I'm trying to figure out if he's going to be successful as the HC of the Chiefs, is that he's a cog (granted, a big cog) in a wheel that consists of well over 100 cogs, some bigger than others, but all part of a big wheel. To try and speculate how that wheel is gonna turn before it's even put into gear.....
I'll wait for awhile.

simple.

one merely has to be cognisant of the other cogs and their cognitive process when confronted with cogent evidence that the cog's cognition is clogged or, for example, when the other cogs can't cognize.

FAX

FloridaMan88
01-06-2006, 09:04 PM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-01/21313700.jpg

ROFL ROFL ROFL

kcfanintitanhell
01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
simple.

one merely has to be cognisant of the other cogs and their cognitive process when confronted with cogent evidence that the cog's cognition is clogged or, for example, when the other cogs can't cognize.

FAX

cogentally speaking, ya know what I mean. Every individual can alter the chemistry. Forget the cogizms.

RealSNR
01-06-2006, 10:56 PM
http://www.bangcartoon.com/shorts.htm

milkman
01-06-2006, 11:16 PM
There isnt a HC out there that half the football coach wanna B's or Al Bundys out wouldnt hate. If you dont like it get over it and now lets wait five years till we can beigin to build a championship. I hope Al hangs around but if not we will survive. What we needed was a defensive minded coach that hasnt had a history of doing things only his way and thats what we now have herm

There, now your post is fixed.

milkman
01-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure that Hermie is a crappier version of Dick.

I think he's more like what I what would expect the love child of Dick and Marty would turn out to be.

siberian khatru
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure that Hermie is a crappier version of Dick.

I think he's more like what I what would expect the love child of Dick and Marty would turn out to be.

Heh. I think that's actually probably right.

Ultra Peanut
01-07-2006, 12:22 AM
CRAPPERS WE CRUSH

NJ Chief Fan
01-07-2006, 12:30 AM
herm>dungy

Frankie
01-07-2006, 12:33 AM
I see it more as a Laterial Move, Not a Demotion not a promotion.
What do y'all think? Shall we add "Laterial" to the Chiefs Planet dictionary? :p :p

Frankie
01-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Hes a good coach and can get the players excited.Like what? Does he do a strip tease in the locker room?

LiL stumppy
01-07-2006, 12:39 AM
Like what? Does he do a strip tease in the locker room?

Um,more like for a game.Gets them exctiing about playing football.Not exciting about have a coach as your best friend.

Frankie
01-07-2006, 12:40 AM
I'll wait for awhile.

Maybe it's my visualization, but the wheel you are describing is not round!
:hmmm:

Wa-Z
01-07-2006, 01:15 AM
He's went to 3 playoffs in 5 years!! COUNTING THIS YEAR!

Doesn't that speak for itself??? :cuss:

milkman
01-07-2006, 01:18 AM
He's went to 3 playoffs in 5 years!! COUNTING THIS YEAR!

Doesn't that speak for itself??? :cuss:

Yeah it does speak for itself, and it says..... no it screams "MARTY".

Rausch
01-07-2006, 01:20 AM

Herm didn't need the best QB of all time to win one...

J Diddy
01-07-2006, 01:22 AM

or delusional

Logical
01-07-2006, 01:28 AM
Herm didn't need the best QB of all time to win one...In all fairness Brad, Bernie Kosar probably was not the greatest QB of all time.;)

Rausch
01-07-2006, 01:32 AM
In all fairness Brad, Bernie Kosar probably was not the greatest QB of all time.;)

:hmmm:

Well, when Arrowhead allows us to toss huge dog bones as projectiles I'll consider it a level playing field...