View Full Version : Posnanski: Now it's Herm's turn

tk13
01-07-2006, 02:12 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13569922.htm

NOW IT’S HERM’S TURN
What’s all the fighting about?

JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

The question is: Why was this so hard? We’ve finally reached the predictable end of Herm Warfare Week. The Chiefs got Herman Edwards. The Jets got a draft pick. It really could not have ended any other way. But it was so much harder than necessary.

This was one ugly trip. There are battered carcasses and bloody New York tabloid back pages scattered along the road. Everybody took a beating this week, Jets, Chiefs, media types, Herm himself. Especially Herm. I thought at some point unnamed Jets sources were going to blame him for the Bird Flu.

What a week. It was like a John le Carre novel (I’m bluffing here; I’ve never read a John le Carre novel. He writes about espionage, right?). There were broken promises, spilled secrets, fantastic threats, car chases and unnamed sources galore. Herman Edwards probably had no idea that he has so many sources “close to him.” He should take half of his new salary and buy them all a drink.

Look, three things seemed pretty obvious at the start of this crazy week:

A. Herman Edwards wanted out of New York.
B. The New York Jets and their fans weren’t too crazy about him either.
C. Chiefs President/CEO/general manager/makeup artist Carl Peterson wanted very much to hire Edwards, an old friend and protégé.

Now, I was never much good at logic, but it seems to me that you take A+B+C and you’ve got a simple answer: The Jets trade Edwards to the Chiefs, right? Be honest, cut a quiet deal and move on.

Instead: Everybody denied everything.

A. Herman Edwards denied that he wanted out of New York. No, he loved New York. He was spotted ice skating at Rockefeller Center. “I’m happy to be coach here and I’m going to be coach here,” he told the New York Post. He told the other papers more or less the same thing. I’m guessing nobody believed him.

B. New York announced it loved Herman Edwards. No named person said this, of course — call the Jets the “No-Name Front Office” — but unnamed sources close to the situation wanted everyone to know they were dying to have Edwards back. They announced he was some cross between Lombardi and Landry. They would not give him up for anything (short of a third-round draft pick, of course).

C. Carl Peterson did not say anything at all. Give him that. He was quieter than western Kansas. Still, he went around interviewing perfectly fine candidates he had absolutely no intention of hiring — Ron Meeks, anyone? — and he gave every impression that he might not want Herman Edwards, that he had, in fact, never heard of Herman Edwards.

So it went. People were so busy denying truth and changing positions, that after a while everybody got confused, and Carl Peterson thought he was the Jets coach, two New York front-office people mistakenly gave their names out, and Herm Edwards briefly accepted the first-base coaching job with the New York Mets. It was mayhem.

Reporters in New York and Kansas City and across the Internet did not know which way to turn, so they turned inside out. They reported that Herm Edwards wanted a contract extension. They reported that the Jets were furious with Edwards and wanted him out. They reported the deal was done. They reported the deal was dead. They reported that Herm would get fired, he would come back, he would back into a fire. They reported he had cleaned out his office, they reported his office was already clean, they reported a maid service arrived, they reported he would be the Chiefs coach, the Jets coach, a stagecoach, the coach of a team with no name and that he would play Robert Langdon in the movie version of The Da Vinci Code.

Well, hey, it’s awfully hard to get at the truth in these confusing times. It is hard for me to understand why grown men couldn’t have just worked this deal out when the Chiefs, Jets and Edwards all wanted, more or less, the same thing.

It all comes back to one of my favorite sports lines, one I’ve written before, from Cincinnati Bengals president Mike Brown. He and an agent tangled for months over quarterback David Klingler (let’s hope Herm turns out a little better than that). It got nasty at times, and for a while it looked as if a deal might not get done. In the end, of course, the Bengals and Klingler worked it out. They signed a deal exactly in the middle.

When Brown was asked, “Couldn’t you guys have saved all this time and just met in the middle months ago?” he shrugged.

“It’s unfortunate,” Brown said. “But it’s the fact.”

And that’s the deal here. Unfortunate. And a fact. It’s done now. How did the Chiefs do? Well, that’s a mixed bag, too. Herman Edwards seems like a genuinely decent guy and fine coach. And Jets fans more or less were ready for him to go. He took the Jets to the playoffs three times in five years. He also coached the Jets to an injury-splattered 4-12 record last season. Players love playing for him. He has struggled at times with game management. He has a big heart. He’s thin-skinned. He’s won two playoff games. He hired Paul Hackett to be offensive coordinator. He built a good defense. He coaches conservatively enough that he should wear pinstriped suits on the sideline.

In other words: He’s got good and bad. He’s not a thrilling choice, but have you looked out there? It’s like Coaches of the Living Dead. There are a bunch of coaching openings and few good candidates. Bad combination. General managers are interviewing all the same coaching shlubs, and they’re all named Jim. Jim Haslett. Jim Fassel. Jim Hanifan. Jim Mora. Jim Belushi. Yeesh, it’s scary out there.

And so, in that environment, you can see why the Chiefs hired Edwards. He’s solid. Sure, a lot of us would have liked for Peterson to hire Al Saunders, a good man who has spent, altogether, 15 years in Kansas City. Saunders did coach the best offense in the NFL the last four years. He has been a head coach. But Peterson obviously wants to go in a different direction, a more defensive direction, and Edwards is his pride and joy.

I don’t know whether after this crazy week, the Chiefs are any closer to the Super Bowl. We’ll have to see how Herm coaches here, what kind of staff he hires, if Will Shields come back, etc. But I think the Chiefs are probably in pretty good hands. They should be a playoff team next year, anyway. And as for the Jets, well, they look to face a new future, probably with some coach named Jim. At least he will have a name.

Logical
01-07-2006, 02:20 AM
The question is: Why was this so hard? We’ve finally reached the predictable end of Herm Warfare Week.

Makes me wonder if JoPo has also been reading the board and just could not bring himself to blatantly plagiarize gochiefs?

Phobia
01-07-2006, 02:23 AM
I felt genuinely entertained by Joe on this one. He rarely cracks me up. I may have to shoot him an email.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 02:24 AM
We’ve finally reached the predictable end of Herm Warfare Week.

But GERM WARFARE IS JUST BEGINNING! :cuss:

Tactical Funky
01-07-2006, 03:10 AM
*crickets chirping*

:p

DenverChief
01-07-2006, 03:11 AM

:rolleyes:

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 03:21 AM
:rolleyes:

WE GAIN STRENGTH EVERYDAY!

grandllama
01-07-2006, 03:58 AM
I felt genuinely entertained by Joe on this one. He rarely cracks me up. I may have to shoot him an email.

I laughed out loud reading this one... quality entertainment...

Dave Lane
01-07-2006, 08:48 AM

Here here!

Dave

nychief
01-07-2006, 08:51 AM
worst writer in America.

KC Jones
01-07-2006, 10:01 AM
worst writer in America.

?

You know, he's won a few awards for his writing including best sports columnist in America. I'd say he's by far the best sports columnist at the star, and probably better than what a lot of other papers can offer.

BigRedChief
01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Makes me wonder if JoPo has also been reading the board and just could not bring himself to blatantly plagiarize gochiefs?

Of course they all come here from time to time. If your job is to cover the Chiefs and write about them wouldn't you want to know what the fans think besides the email that you get?

milkman
01-07-2006, 10:15 AM

Suck Up! :)

nychief
01-07-2006, 10:20 AM
?

You know, he's won a few awards for his writing including best sports columnist in America. I'd say he's by far the best sports columnist at the star, and probably better than what a lot of other papers can offer.

I was too harsh, indeed. I just personally find his sacrine aw' shuck routine to be silly and patronizing. I actually like his recent column on the first Royals General Manager. But in general I think he is a pretty poor columinst.

And his Buck O'Neil book might give the nation diabetes.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 10:24 AM
?

his articles are fluffy crap

don't get me wrong, he's a very good writer ... it's just that his stuff belongs in books or a creative writing class.

sports are an afterthought

mikey23545
01-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, he's no Jason Whitlock, that's for sure...

nychief
01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
whitlock is a better columnist - he at least has opinions - he dosen't ooze sentimentality.

shaneo69
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13569922.htm

NOW IT’S HERM’S TURN
What’s all the fighting about?

JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

The question is: Why was this so hard?

Now, I was never much good at logic, but it seems to me that you take A+B+C and you’ve got a simple answer: The Jets trade Edwards to the Chiefs, right? Be honest, cut a quiet deal and move on.

Instead: Everybody denied everything.

JoPo should know by now that Carl can't do anything the easy way. He has to turn everything into a major production. That's how he does business. He tampered with Vermiel. He tampered with Green. He tampered with Surtain. And now he's tampered with Herm. Congrats Carl.

Hammock Parties
his articles are fluffy crap

don't get me wrong, he's a very good writer ... it's just that his stuff belongs in books or a creative writing class.

sports are an afterthought

Bah...I disagree. He's tremendously entertaining, and he even brought me to tears a few times.

I have a small archive of old KC Star articles. Almost all of them are by Joe Posnanski.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 12:23 PM
whitlock is a better columnist - he at least has opinions - he dosen't ooze sentimentality.

Yeah Whitlock is awesome, I love it when he steals his best material off the internet.

nychief
01-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Yeah Whitlock is awesome, I love it when he steals his best material off the internet.

I didn't say he was great - just more interesting than Jopo.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I didn't say he was great - just more interesting than Jopo.

More controversial, perhaps. He's not a better writer.

nychief
01-07-2006, 12:32 PM

You are right, he gets all his best ideas from you and phil and Nick.

nychief
01-07-2006, 12:32 PM
More controversial, perhaps. He's not a better writer.

no he is.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 12:34 PM
no he is.

Actually I wouldn't call either better. I would say they are different and leave it at that.

Mr. Laz
01-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Bah...I disagree. He's tremendously entertaining, and he even brought me to tears a few times.
great ... like i said, he writes great entertaining/funny/fluffy crap

i think he should take up poetry and song lyrics

milkman
01-07-2006, 12:47 PM
JoPo should know by now that Carl can't do anything the easy way. He has to turn everything into a major production. That's how he does business. He tampered with Vermiel. He tampered with Green. He tampered with Surtain. And now he's tampered with Herm. Congrats Carl.

Explain to me how he tampered with Green and Surtain?

And where's any evidence that he tampered with Hermie?

beer bacon
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Sometimes I wonder how Carl finds time to commune with Satan at all with all the tampering he does.

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 12:50 PM
great ... like i said, he writes great entertaining/funny/fluffy crap

i think he should take up poetry and song lyrics

I think if you polled Kansas City Star readers the vast majority of them would say they enjoy Jo Po.

I see him as the "literary historian" of the Chiefs. When I yank out my archive 20 years from now for "THIS WEEK IN CHIEFS HISTORY 2025" I don't want to post an article by Adam Teicher.

VonneMarie
01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Explain to me how he tampered with Green and Surtain?

And where's any evidence that he tampered with Hermie?
Everyone says that because he had dinner with Herm the night before opening day. Go figure... I guess they must've plan this the entire season. :rolleyes:

Tribal Warfare
01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Sometimes I wonder how Carl finds time to commune with Satan at all with all the tampering he does.

Their is no interaction between him, and the Devil He's one of the same

Simplex3
01-07-2006, 01:03 PM
WE GAIN STRENGTH EVERYDAY!
Like it matters now. Where was this "strength" before the contract was signed?

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Like it matters now. Where was this "strength" before the contract was signed?

How can you have an anti-germ edwards group when he's not even on your team?

Simplex3
01-07-2006, 01:08 PM
How can you have an anti-germ edwards group when he's not even on your team?
Why try and stop the Russians BEFORE they're marching through every city in America?

Hammock Parties
01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Why try and stop the Russians BEFORE they're marching through every city in America?

I think you misunderstand the purpose of GERM WARFARE.

Logical
01-07-2006, 11:22 PM

I agree, in general I find JoPo has no depth on sports and not very interesting. He is best at baseball where there is nothing of interest worth commenting on in KC.

Logical
01-07-2006, 11:25 PM
More controversial, perhaps. He's not a better writer.Better overall sports journalist as well. Yes JoPo is a great writer, but he writes about subjects as if he had a ninth graders knowledge on sports. Again the exception is baseball.

kcfanXIII
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
i love jopo. his dry sense of humor far exceeds the negative (and fat) excuse for a sports writer that usually graces the front page of the sports section with him. he constantly makes me laugh, and although some of you might not think its best for the sports page, its better than the recycled crap that comes out of some sports writers mouth.
as for herm edwards, all of you need to get over it. he's our head coach, and his defensive mind is what the chiefs need. its not tough to see what kc's offensive game plan will be. larry left, larry right, and larry up the middle. mix in play action, pour over ice and serve.

Spicy McHaggis
01-08-2006, 12:56 AM
Better overall sports journalist as well. Yes JoPo is a great writer, but he writes about subjects as if he had a ninth graders knowledge on sports. Again the exception is baseball.

JoPo's first sports love is baseball and at times that shows. If the Royals were a first place team then I believe there wouldn't even be a debate to be had over JoPo > Whitlock. Regardless, I don't think it is fair though to call his column uninteresting as a blanket statement. You might not think the subject matter is intriguing but obviously to many it is.

I enjoy his pieces because they often show that there is more to the sport than just the box score. Many times the story behind that score is much more compelling.