PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Advice for Herm

tk13
01-08-2006, 02:14 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13575060.htm

Advice for Herm
Edwards needs to stand his ground, not be a gofer for Chiefs’ Peterson

JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Dear Herm Edwards:

I’m writing you this letter because I’m assuming there are a few things Carl Peterson might not have told you about the head-coaching opportunity with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Carl probably hasn’t completely leveled with you about what it’s like to work for him when he feels like you owe him. It’s not pretty. Just ask Gunther Cunningham. A respected NFL agent characterized Cunningham and his relationship with Peterson as a “foot-shuffling porter” during Cunningham’s two-year tenure as head coach.

Cunningham worked for cheap and did whatever Peterson instructed.
Did I mention that Peterson fired Cunningham on Christmas Day? Yeah, King Carl let one of his Internet media flunkies post it on a Web site, realizing Cunningham would read about his dismissal as he checked Internet message boards. I can’t remember which site posted Cunningham’s firing. But based on the Internet reporting of Carl’s pursuit of you, SportsLine.com’s Clark Judge would be the most likely candidate to post your firing. Judge seems to have a comfy spot in Carl’s hip pocket.

I mention all of this because I’m afraid that Carl is going to make you feel like he’s done you a favor. According to all of the experts, Peterson held the fork to the most appetizing coaching vacancy in the NFL. Teams that finish 10-6 usually aren’t looking for a new coach.

You, of course, finished 4-12 this year, all the New York sports writers are calling you a no-good liar because of the way you handled your departure, and Jets fans think you were lucky each year you advanced to the playoffs. Plus, in last year’s playoffs, you did have a classic Marty Schottenheimer moment.

To top things off, Peterson is allegedly going to double your salary.
Herm, I’m glad you’re coming to Kansas City. You’re a good hire. But you have to be your own man. You can’t be Peterson’s gofer.

Schottenheimer had success in KC because he stood his ground with Peterson. Vermeil had some success in KC because he did things his way.
I’m not saying be confrontational with Peterson just for the sake of being confrontational. Peterson does have a few good ideas. He can help you. But he can also make you look like a fool.

Again, I’ll point to Gunther Cunningham. Two years ago, Cunningham got hoodwinked into coming back to KC as defensive coordinator. I say “hoodwinked” because Cunningham bought Peterson’s story that the Chiefs didn’t need additional defensive personnel. Cunningham got talked into waging a gunfight with a bunch of butter knives. His first year back was a total embarrassment.

Herm, don’t you buy any hype.

The Chiefs have solid personnel, enough talent to win eight to 10 games. But no one is handing you the keys to a Super Bowl cruiser. And Chiefs fans are thirsting for a Super Bowl team. They’re going to be extremely disappointed if the Chiefs fail to reach the playoffs next season. Check that, they’re going to be extremely disappointed if the Chiefs don’t field a legitimate Super Bowl threat next season. Chiefs fans are tired of Peterson’s 17-year five-year plan.

You’re going to be judged on your ability to get this team deep into the playoffs, not on your ability to fix Peterson’s problem children.

You follow?

You need to push Carl to acquire replacements for Ryan Sims and Kendrell Bell. Sims is a bust. You can’t turn him into a player. Dick Vermeil, Greg Robinson and Gunther Cunningham have tried everything to get Sims to play at a consistent, average level. It’s time to move on.

No way Bell should be handed a starting job next season. I’d like to see the Chiefs add at least one big-ticket defensive free agent. There’s talk that Washington might cut ties with linebacker LaVar Arrington. He could solve a lot of problems. He had a spectacular game for Washington on Saturday. Washington doesn’t even let Arrington rush the passer.

The Chiefs obviously still need a No. 1 receiver. Eddie Kennison had a good year. But he’s 32 and bound to hit a wall next season.

My point is I hope you didn’t take the job without making a few demands, without making it clear that you don’t feel anyone has done you a favor by bailing you out of New York.

We need the arrogant, confident, bold Herman Edwards in Kansas City. We need the fiery, emotional Herm Edwards, a guy willing to push Peterson to greatness.

Sincerely, Jason

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:18 AM
Did I mention that Peterson fired Cunningham on Christmas Day? Yeah, King Carl let one of his Internet media flunkies post it on a Web site...

OH! Oh hell no!

No he dih-ent!

Logical
01-08-2006, 02:19 AM
SportsLine.com’s Clark Judge would be the most likely candidate to post your firing. Judge seems to have a comfy spot in Carl’s hip pocket.

LOL there is much truth in that statement. I love the way it slams both Carl and Judge simultaneously.

penguinz
01-08-2006, 02:21 AM
Why does whitlock have a job?

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:23 AM
This article is an embarrasment to Edwards.

I suspect it's due to Herm being 1/2 German, and Gunther....well...c'mon.

Nasty Jason, playing the race card.

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Kind of corny, an open letter has been done to death. But I agree on Simms, Bell, and needing a WR. Jeez give Trent a burner to go deep with. Someone with good hands. We drop too many Freakin passes-top five in the NFl in drops.

Redcoats58
01-08-2006, 02:24 AM
As backhanded as this article is, I would have to say I agree with him.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:24 AM
About 10 am tommorow morning there will be one ****ing livid planeteer...

Spicy McHaggis
01-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Kind of corny, an open letter has been done to death. But I agree on Simms, Bell, and needing a WR. Jeez give Trent a burner to go deep with. Someone with good hands. We drop too many Freakin passes-top five in the NFl in drops.

Sims will get paid I'm betting. If not here then somewhere, the FA DT market is that bad.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:25 AM
As backhanded as this article is, I would have to say I agree with him.

Then you don't understand the irony in it's idiocy...

Logical
01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Why does whitlock have a job?That is easy, because he writes columns that generate, interest, discussion, and readers. Exactly what the Star wants, exactly what any Newspaper wants.

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Why does whitlock have a job?

He is the black version of Jack Harry. A self-appointed know-it-all, that thinks its his personal mission to bust King Carls balls. He does say some funny shit. He has been reading the Planet for his material-you can tell, he actually ripped someone off this week with half a sense of humor.

Get it Half, oh never mind.

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Sims will get paid I'm betting. If not here then somewhere, the FA DT market is that bad.

You are soo right, we are screwed. Lets hope Herm can get his fat azz on a tread mill, so it won't take him half the year to slim down to his usual 30 pounds over playing weight.

Chiefs Pantalones
I agree with this article. Herm has to stand up to the King.

Simplex3
Let some other team burn cap money to let his fat lazy ass sit in the trainer's room.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:30 AM
He has been reading the Planet for his material-you can tell, he actually ripped someone off this week with half a sense of humor.

Get it Half, oh never mind.

That's old hat to Jason.

But what are we to do?

Sue for intellectual property rights on smart-ass?...

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:32 AM
It was well hidden, but you do understand that JW just called Herm a house-******, right?...

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:35 AM
house cat? Oh that is not enough letters.... lets see kitten?

Redcoats58
01-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Then you don't understand the irony in it's idiocy...
Oh I understand his idiocy, the things I agree with are the little gems about the fans being impatient and the players needed.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Oh I understand his idiocy, the things I agree with are the little gems about the fans being impatient and the players needed.

Supporting evidence to his main point.

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:42 AM

Yep, I am ready for at least a Division title, and first round bye, followed by an AFC Title game at Arrowhead.

Logical
01-08-2006, 02:44 AM
It was well hidden, but you do understand that JW just called Herm a house-******, right?...Well I believe he was telling him not to be, but I get your point.

Redcoats58
01-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Supporting evidence to his main point.
Oh I know Whitlock's shtick, he makes all these ridiculous statements and adds a couple of facts to get Chiefs fans on the hook. I don't fall for that sh*t. I know Whitlock is an idiot, he likes to be the Jerry Springer of KC media.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Oh I know Whitlock's shtick, he makes all these ridiculous statements and adds a couple of facts to get Chiefs fans on the hook. I don't fall for that sh*t. I know Whitlock is an idiot, he likes to be the Jerry Springer of KC media.

Never more brilliantly put.

Rep...

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:51 AM
Springer-more like a fat Arsenio Hall.

Redcoats58
01-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Springer-more like a fat Arsenio Hall.
Naw, Aresenio wasn't about shock value. He was just a prying sob.

01-08-2006, 02:57 AM
Yep, I am ready for at least a Division title, and first round bye, followed by an AFC Title game at Arrowhead.

Hell with the first-round bye. What good has it done us in the past... Oh yeah, we just need to finish anything but 13-3. Indy, Denver take note...ROFL

Halfcan
01-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Oh and to make the other team punt at least one Freaking time.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Oh and to make the other team punt at least one Freaking time.

Not to pick a fight, but once Gun took over we pushed the Colt's $#it in....

KCJake
01-08-2006, 03:28 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/13575060.htm

Chiefs fans are tired of Peterson’s 17-year five-year plan.

Yes we are!

pr_capone
01-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Not to pick a fight, but once Gun took over we pushed the Colt's $#it in....

Definately, along with a few other teams that I'm not sure we could have beaten without him.... like the Giants and the Cowgirls!

Oh... wait.

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 04:01 AM
Shit, I agree with the article. It is corny, but then again sometimes columnists though how worn out the sherade is it has to be a "eye catcher". It's his job for us to talk about his articles good or bad.

Rausch
01-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Shit, I agree with the article. It is corny, but then again sometimes columnists though how worn out the sherade is it has to be a "eye catcher". It's his job for us to talk about his articles good or bad.

What?

Tribal Warfare
01-08-2006, 04:32 AM
What?

He it on some truths their, not every article he writes I agree with. The fact is Peterson loves to tell is HCs what do, and Herm needs to lay the ground work for the defense to succeed. That costs money, and unforunately Carl's so tight it's like trying to get water up a dolphins ass.

Manila-Chief
01-08-2006, 07:53 AM

Chiefs fans are tired of Peterson’s 17-year five-year plan.

Yes we are!

I fully agree but would put it in different words ... I'm ready for a change. Kingless has sat on the throne long enough without producing. It is time for another GM to see what he can get done. Carl does want to win but I doubt if he really does want to win a championship.

I read Jason's articles. Most of the time I agree with them. I want the truth about the Chiefs (not idolized hoping or cheer leading) and since I have been serving half way around the world he has been one source. Course another major source is some of the guys on here...

I agree with him about Gun, but I wonder if maybe Kingless didn't give him enough time to develop as a head coach??? For the material Gun had he didn't do a bad job and especially since he was new at the job.

ChiefFripp
01-08-2006, 08:58 AM
Some hack writer telling a professional how to handle his job, that is f-ing funny. The only thing Whitless needs to advise Herm on is which McDonalds has the best service and hottest fries.

The Bad Guy
01-08-2006, 09:27 AM

Did I mention that Peterson fired Cunningham on Christmas Day? Yeah, King Carl let one of his Internet media flunkies post it on a Web site, realizing Cunningham would read about his dismissal as he checked Internet message boards. I can’t remember which site posted Cunningham’s firing. But based on the Internet reporting of Carl’s pursuit of you, SportsLine.com’s Clark Judge would be the most likely candidate to post your firing. Judge seems to have a comfy spot in Carl’s hip pocket.

I AM not an internet media flunkie, you fat tub of shit.

And it wasn't Christmas day either. It was around the middle of January.

kregger
01-08-2006, 09:41 AM
You need to push Carl to acquire replacements for Ryan Sims and Kendrell Bell. Sims is a bust. You can’t turn him into a player. Dick Vermeil, Greg Robinson and Gunther Cunningham have tried everything to get Sims to play at a consistent, average level. It’s time to move on.

Sincerely, Jason
JAson wants Sims gone because he has too much competition at the buffet table.

ChiefFripp
01-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Everyone:Advice for Whitllock

Go overdose on Cheez-Wiz you tub of lard!

Thig Lyfe
01-08-2006, 10:43 AM
LaVarr Arrington would be a fantastic pickup.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
01-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah, no shit. Come on Twitlock...check yer facts.

I AM not an internet media flunkie, you fat tub of shit.

And it wasn't Christmas day either. It was around the middle of January.

Katipan
01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
We need the arrogant, confident, bold Herman Edwards in Kansas City. We need the fiery, emotional Herm Edwards, a guy willing to push Peterson to greatness.

SEXY!

shaneo69
01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I didn't realize htismaqe was a respected NFL agent.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 11:20 AM
The first step is cutting ties with Gunther and all the other morons on defense.

jspchief
01-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I don't know about the rest of the article, but my boner hit my chin at the thought of Arrington in a Chiefs uniform.

Bowser
01-08-2006, 11:42 AM
LaVarr Arrington would be a fantastic pickup.

Albeit rediculusly(cps) expensive.

craneref
01-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I didn't realize htismaqe was a respected NFL agent.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ck_IN
01-08-2006, 12:34 PM
<i>don't know about the rest of the article, but my boner hit my chin at the thought of Arrington in a Chiefs uniform.</i>

An interesting reaction you have to the mention of a large black man. :hmmm:

ChiefsFan4Life
01-08-2006, 01:02 PM
That was a pretty good article

ArkansasChief
01-08-2006, 01:17 PM
For all of his mishaps, i'm happy to have big bad Carl as a GM. He always tries to put together a winner. Have the Chiefs ever had a "rebuilding year?" Herm does need to look at some of our personnel and go a seperate way (i.e. Simms, Hicks, Warfield, Mcleon). But let's not rip on Carl too hard ... we could have the Cardinals GM.

Coach
01-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Dear Herm Edwards:

I'm writing you this letter because I'm assuming there are a few things Carl Peterson might not have told you about the head-coaching opportunity with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Herm: Oh ya think?

Carl probably hasn't completely leveled with you about what it's like to work for him when he feels like you owe him. It's not pretty. Just ask Gunther Cunningham. A respected NFL agent characterized Cunningham and his relationship with Peterson as a foot-shuffling porter during Cunningham's two-year tenure as head coach.

Herm: Huh-huh?

Did I mention that Peterson fired Cunningham on Christmas Day? Yeah, King Carl let one of his Internet media flunkies post it on a Web site, realizing Cunningham would read about his dismissal as he checked Internet message boards. I can't remember which site posted Cunningham's firing. But based on the Internet reporting of Carl's pursuit of you, SportsLine.com's Clark Judge would be the most likely candidate to post your firing. Judge seems to have a comfy spot in Carl's hip pocket.

Herm: So you're saying that if I surfed on www.chiefsplanet.com and I could find out that I'm fired by just reading that site? Gotcha. I'll keep my eyes peeled on there.

I mention all of this because I'm afraid that Carl is going to make you feel like he's done you a favor. According to all of the experts, Peterson held the fork to the most appetizing coaching vacancy in the NFL. Teams that finish 10-6 usually aren't looking for a new coach.

You, of course, finished 4-12 this year, all the New York sports writers are calling you a no-good liar because of the way you handled your departure, and Jets fans think you were lucky each year you advanced to the playoffs. Plus, in last year's playoffs, you did have a classic Marty Schottenheimer moment.

Herm: Me? Finishing 4-12? Well crap, I didn't know that I even played a single snap on the field. Of course, the playoffs thing. Well, I can't help it. I have what we'd call "Schottenheimer Snydrome."

To top things off, Peterson is allegedly going to double your salary.

Herm: Yep, bringing in the big bucks baby, you know it. It's called "Job Security" moron.

Herm, I'm glad you're coming to Kansas City. You're a good hire. But you have to be your own man. You can't be Peterson's gofer. Schottenheimer had success in KC because he stood his ground with Peterson. Vermeil had some success in KC because he did things his way.

I'm not saying be confrontational with Peterson just for the sake of being confrontational. Peterson does have a few good ideas. He can help you. But he can also make you look like a fool.

Herm: Well, I thought Peterson was a fool for standing pat in 2004? Or raising ticket prices after missing out the playoffs again?

Again, I'll point to Gunther Cunningham. Two years ago, Cunningham got hoodwinked into coming back to KC as defensive coordinator. I say "hoodwinked" because Cunningham bought Peterson's story that the Chiefs didn't need additional defensive personnel. Cunningham got talked into waging a gunfight with a bunch of butter knives. His first year back was a total embarrassment.

Herm: So you're saying, if I go to war with them, I'd immediately get killed?

Herm, don't you buy any hype.

The Chiefs have solid personnel, enough talent to win eight to 10 games. But no one is handing you the keys to a Super Bowl cruiser. And Chiefs fans are thirsting for a Super Bowl team. They're going to be extremely disappointed if the Chiefs fail to reach the playoffs next season. Check that, they're going to be extremely disappointed if the Chiefs don't field a legitimate Super Bowl threat next season.

Herm: Actually, you can apply that to any NFL team, minus the Patriots. Everybody is going to be extremely disappointed if their favorate team doesn't make it to the playoffs. Again, you're a moron.

Chiefs fans are tired of Peterson's 17-year five-year plan.

You're going to be judged on your ability to get this team deep into the playoffs, not on your ability to fix Peterson's problem children.

You follow?

Herm: Yeah, I can follow just fine without even needing to understand your jabber jabber.

You need to push Carl to acquire replacements for Ryan Sims and Kendrell Bell. Sims is a bust. You can't turn him into a player. Dick Vermeil, Greg Robinson and Gunther Cunningham have tried everything to get Sims to play at a consistent, average level.

It's time to move on.

Herm: So Ryan Sims and Bell should be let go? Ok. What about Eric Hicks? I hear he sucks pretty bad, unless he's your personal lap buddy or something. Or are you just jealous that Ryan Sims makes a hell alot more money than you would in your entire lifetime? Bitter much?

No way Bell should be handed a starting job next season. I'd like to see the Chiefs add at least one big-ticket defensive free agent. There's talk that Washington might cut ties with linebacker LaVar Arrington. He could solve a lot of problems. He had a spectacular game for Washington on Saturday. Washington doesn't even let Arrington rush the passer.

Herm: And that's why you're a moron squared. Nothing is wrong with the LB' corps, minus Bell. Mitchell and Derrick Johnson did all right last time I checked. Besides, it all starts up front. Other than Jared Allen, anyone on that Defensive Line isn't worth a damn.

The Chiefs obviously still need a No. 1 receiver. Eddie Kennison had a good year. But he's 32 and bound to hit a wall next season.

Herm: Ever hear Samie Parker? Again, you're a moron cubed.

My point is I hope you didn't take the job without making a few demands, without making it clear that you don't feel anyone has done you a favor by bailing you out of New York.

Sincerely, Jason

Herm: And I hope that I can take this job without your big fat-assed mouth running on the newspaper. Hey, I got something for you. You aren't worth a damn at all either. Ever wrote for NY Times? If not, then just STFU and GTFO.

Sincerely, Herm.

Bob Dole
01-12-2006, 05:54 AM

The "fans being impatient" part is funny.

Has Edwards won KC any games yet?

KCTitus
01-12-2006, 08:55 AM
I havent read the threads, yet, but just from the first 3 sentences of Jason's cute little article, I guess he doesnt realize that Edwards has known and worked with Peterson in some fashion for 30 some years.

I think, maybe, Herm knows Carl Peterson.