PDA

View Full Version : Vermiel back to the Rams?

shaneo69
01-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Vermeil back in St. Louis?
By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
01/08/2006

The Rams, of course, are looking for a new head coach. And just in case you were wondering, Dick Vermeil says. . . .

"No. I know it's time."

As in time to retire. Vermeil announced his retirement Monday from the Kansas City Chiefs, and from coaching. This time, it sounds like he means it.

So nothing about a return to St. Louis sounds appealing?

"St. Louis is always appealing," Vermeil said. "But not at this stage of my life."

At age 69, Vermeil looks fit. Certainly fit enough to keep coaching.

"I feel good," he said. "Physically, I feel good. But emotionally, I get drained and that doesn't show."

As he looks around the NFL landscape, and sees all the coaching vacancies, Vermeil said he remains grateful for the chance he got in St. Louis.

"I'm looking at all the coaching changes here and wondering: Which one of these teams would call a guy after 14 years out of the game and give him a chance to kick-start his career again?" Vermeil said. "There isn't a person out there who would do it.

"To take a chance on someone like me, at a very critical time in a franchise's history, I can't tell you how indebted I am to Georgia (Frontiere) and John Shaw, and that organization."

As the Rams search for a new coach to replace Mike Martz - who was Vermeil's successor here - Vermeil wishes they'd give Al Saunders a call.

"He's going to be a head coach," Vermeil said. "I was hoping the Rams would be interested in him, but obviously they're not. But I was hoping they would be, because he loves St. Louis."

Saunders was wide receivers coach for Vermeil during the Rams' 1999 Super Bowl championship season, and added the title of associate head coach to those duties with the Rams in 2000 under Martz.

For the last five seasons, Saunders has been assistant head coach-offensive coordinator for Vermeil in Kansas City.

"Over the last four years, we're No. 1 in the NFL in yardage gained, and No. 2 in points scored," Vermeil said. "So that isn't too bad."

ChiefsfaninPA
01-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Not our problem anymore I could care less where he goes. While he was with us he was trying to win. Can't begrudge him if he does choose to coach elsewhere.

Gravedigger
01-08-2006, 03:12 PM
This sounds like someone is combining quotes that arent anything related to him joining the rams it just makes it look that way so they can make the St. Louis Rams fans have some hope that their team isnt terrible.

Frankie
01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Not our problem anymore I could care less where he goes. While he was with us he was trying to win. Can't begrudge him if he does choose to coach elsewhere.
If for some stupid reason DV and the Rams hookup, would Taggibooboo give us their 2nd and 3rd? :hmmm:

nascher
01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
no way he won't

ChiefsfaninPA
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Regardless they don't have much talent left on that team.

Frankie
01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
no way he won't
Do you mean "no way he won't," or "no way, he won't?"

ChiefsfaninPA
01-08-2006, 03:24 PM
If for some stupid reason DV and the Rams hookup, would Taggibooboo give us their 2nd and 3rd? :hmmm:

Probably not, was he in a current contract?

JBucc
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
He'll probably hire Al as OC, and take them to the SB, that'd be our luck.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Then we would know that it was Peterson hurting this franchise all along. Because that team has way less talent than our team.

siberian khatru
01-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Quick, Carl, sign DV to a "consulting" contract.

Frankie
01-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Probably not, was he in a current contract?
I believe so. He just retired like he did with the Rams.

Skip Towne
01-08-2006, 05:33 PM
How could anybody love the shithole that is St. Louis?

milkman
01-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Dick's contract expired this year (actually in Feb, I believe), so no.

ROYC75
01-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Then we would know that it was Peterson hurting this franchise all along. Because that team has way less talent than our team.

I'm not a CP backer ( lover ) but it wasn't Carl or DV out there missing tackles and letting Tiki set a franchise record on us.

01-08-2006, 07:00 PM

Actually, I could see Al goint to the Rams as HC. Win the SB and we can say, "Hey, we got our coach." LOL

I am not anti Herm, just wanted someone else. JEFF FISHER!!!!!