PDA

View Full Version : Broncos vs Patriots - Round 2

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
It should be a good game. I was hoping that NE would travel to Indy and end their season, but I'm fine with NE coming to town rather than Cincy.

Defeating NE will be tough, but... I believe the Broncos can and will do it.

SLAG
01-08-2006, 06:32 PM
tom brady in the Playoffs?

Nukka Please

VonneMarie
01-08-2006, 06:35 PM
GO PATRIOTS!

Joe Seahawk
01-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Bad break for the Broncos IMO.

Tom Brady against all those rookie Corners could be a problem for the Invesco fans..

milkman
01-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I guess NE ending the Donkey's season will be every bit as entertaining as ending the Colts season, if not more so.

Skip Towne
01-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Bad break for the Broncos IMO.

Tom Brady against all those rookie Corners could be a problem for the Invesco fans..
Yeah. Dontcha love it?

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 06:37 PM
I was hoping Manning would get to do it to them again.

Mr. Kotter
Good game....are you serious? ROFL

The Patriots will scorch the Donks....38-13, 41-24....something along those lines.

Think of the bright side: at least you won't have to go to Indy to get trashed 63-10 or some such.....heh. :)

;)

JBucc
I don't expect either team to be able to stop the other, so whoever has the ball last wins, and those Pats always seem to have the ball at the end of big games...

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Brady vs. Plummer.....heh-heh.

The Real Deal vs. The Wannabe-But-Neverwas.....heh. ROFL

;)

tk13
01-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I think we'll hear all week how New England is going to win, then everybody will be stunned when Denver knocks them off...

morphius
01-08-2006, 06:40 PM
This is the match up I was pretty much hoping for. A much healther Pats team, who has played pretty much lights out the last 5 games that they used their starters the entire game.

dirk digler
01-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Good game....are you serious? ROFL

The Patriots will scorch the Donks....38-13, 41-24....something along those lines.

Think of the bright side: at least you won't have to go to Indy to get trashed 63-10 or some such.....heh. :)

;)

Yep I think this will be a good game for a half.

This will be payback for the loss there early this year.

Pats 35-17

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 06:43 PM
I think we'll hear all week how New England is going to win, then everybody will be stunned when Denver knocks them off...

Bullshit.

Alot has changed since NE got beat out there.

#1 The Patriots found a run defense. It's like night and day.

#2 Richard Seymour. He didn't play in the first game. Neither did Teddy Bruschi.

#3 Corey Dillon. He also was absent.

I don't believe either club will have much success running it. That leaves Brady vs Plummer, and I'll take Brady.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 06:43 PM

I will actually be HOPING that Denver can somehow pull it out.

It will make the third straight embarrassment at the hands of Peyton all the more satisfying.... :)

Bwana
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Even if that happens, no way in hell the donks get past the Colts in the dome.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 06:44 PM
I will actually be HOPING that Denver can somehow pull it out.

It will make the third straight embarrassment at the hands of Peyton all the more satisfying.... :)

Bullshit. I want to see those bastards lose at home.

It will continue the Shanahan losing streak without Elway and drop Plummer's playoff record to 1-3.

01-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Yeah, I guess NE ending the Donkey's season will be every bit as entertaining as ending the Colts season, if not more so.

Yeah, what sucks is that NE beats Denver then most likely will have to beat Indy, then they are back in the damn SB again. Guess I will root for the NFC. NE is the lesser of the three evils for me in this group but I still don't want them getting number 4.:banghead:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Even if that happens, no way in hell the donks get past the Colts in the dome.

Yep. Either way, the Broncos won't be going to the Super Bowl...and that is good.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 06:48 PM

It will continue the Shanahan losing streak without Elway and drop Plummer's playoff record to 1-3.

You know, what....who am I foolin'. Heh.

I'm actually hoping they get scorched at home too. Just wondering if that Pat Bowlen has will be bribing the Zebras....again. That's my only doubt. :hmmm:

tk13
01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Bullshit.

Alot has changed since NE got beat out there.

#1 The Patriots found a run defense. It's like night and day.

#2 Richard Seymour. He didn't play in the first game. Neither did Teddy Bruschi.

#3 Corey Dillon. He also was absent.

I don't believe either club will have much success running it. That leaves Brady vs Plummer, and I'll take Brady.
They got slaughtered in that game. The final score was much closer but they totally dominated New England. I think New England will make it very difficult but I'd pick Denver. Shanahan with an extra week to prepare at home is gonna be tough to beat.

JBucc
01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
They got slaughtered in that game. The final score was much closer but they totally dominated New England. I think New England will make it very difficult but I'd pick Denver. Shanahan with an extra week to prepare at home is gonna be tough to beat.Belichick has been preparing for this since the day he was born

siberian khatru
01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Someone's gonna win 24-20.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Belichick has been preparing for this since the day he was born
ROFL

I'd choose Belichick over Shanahan. Belichick has won without Elway. hehehe :p

listopencil
01-08-2006, 06:58 PM
They got slaughtered in that game. The final score was much closer but they totally dominated New England. I think New England will make it very difficult but I'd pick Denver. Shanahan with an extra week to prepare at home is gonna be tough to beat.

Yep. Denver put up a bunch of points fairly quickly then locked down the O and played the clock for the rest of the game. I've seen Shanny do that against teams before when he thought they might meet in the playoffs, but it almost bit him in the ass. Speaking of rookie corners getting beat by Brady, our rookie Darrent Williams forced Brady into intentional grounding that cost them their last chance to come back when down by 8 points in the last game. Our other rookie sensation Dominique Foxworth has been starting opposite Bailey for a few weeks now as Williams has been out with a groin injury. Foxworth has been doing extremely well and Williams will be back next week. The defensive backfield isn't going to be a big weakness this time around.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Yep. Denver put up a bunch of points fairly quickly then locked down the O and played the clock for the rest of the game. I've seen Shanny do that against teams before when he thought they might meet in the playoffs, but it almost bit him in the ass. Speaking of rookie corners getting beat by Brady, our rookie Darrent Williams forced Brady into intentional grounding that cost them their last chance to come back when down by 8 points in the last game. Our other rookie sensation Dominique Foxworth has been starting opposite Bailey for a few weeks now as Williams has been out with a groin injury. Foxworth has been doing extremely well and Williams will be back next week. The defensive backfield isn't going to be a big weakness this time around.

Wanna bet that anything like that happens again? :)

Belichek will school Shanny. :D

tk13
01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
I didn't realize until the other day that this is gonna be Denver's first home playoff game since Elway's last home game... the 98 AFC title game. That's pretty hard to believe.

morphius
01-08-2006, 07:02 PM

That is my feeling, keep Shanhan looking clueless in the playoff's without Elway.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 07:03 PM
The defensive backfield isn't going to be a big weakness this time around.

ROFL

You guys have been saying that for the past two years.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Wanna bet that anything like that happens again? :)

Belichek will school Shanny. :D

I have tremendous respect for Belichek's coaching ability, especially game-time adjustments. He's made a few memorable decisons in games and some of them costs us. But Shanny's no slouch and the Broncos are pretty strong this year. They're not going to roll us.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
ROFL

You guys have been saying that for the past two years.

...and then we had debilitating injuries to our D backfield right before the playoffs. We even had a starting CB with a broken arm last year. This year they are getting healthy at the right time. We have three strong CB's going into this game. The question is more at Safety if anything.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Excellent weather next week.

Should be in the 50s and sunny.

Joe Seahawk
01-08-2006, 07:07 PM
I didn't realize until the other day that this is gonna be Denver's first home playoff game since Elway's last home game... the 98 AFC title game. That's pretty hard to believe.

Wow, really? Saturday will be our 3rd home playoff game since '99

:)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 07:08 PM
...and then we had debilitating injuries to our D backfield right before the playoffs. We even had a starting CB with a broken arm last year. This year they are getting healthy at the right time. We have three strong CB's going into this game. The question is more at Safety if anything.

Best of luck...

listopencil

How'd that work out for you?

Hammock Parties

You're a bastard.

Come play in the real man's conference. :)

Garcia Bronco
01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I mean...the PAts are going to kick ass....we have no shot at all.

Pat 46
Denver 6

1 TD...but Elam misses the extra point.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 07:10 PM

Pat 46
Denver 6

Dang it.

This pretty much seals it. The Broncos are going to win. :cuss:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 07:12 PM
The Pats have a weak secondary, too, IMO, but they have a stronger front than the Broncos do, when healthy and they are.

The question is who's QB is going to make the most mistakes? Duh. Plummer.

Joe Seahawk
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
How'd that work out for you?

Not good, we sucked in '99 with kINTa as QB, then we lost last year on a dropped end zone pass.. But this week will be a huge victory by 10 at least..

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Plus, the Pats have won on the road in the playoffs before too, so it will be nothing new.

Joe Seahawk
01-08-2006, 07:16 PM
BTW, I'd love to see a Bronco vs Seahawk Superbowl... That would be a blast!

Bowser
01-08-2006, 07:16 PM
BTW, I'd love to see a Bronco vs Seahawk Superbowl... That would be a blast!

Brings back memories of week 6 in 1994.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Not good, we sucked in '99 with kINTa as QB, then we lost last year on a dropped end zone pass.. But this week will be a huge victory by 10 at least..

Sea 24

Was 10

You're giving the Redskins offense too much credit. :p

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Bring it on! Jake has been a different player this year... the talent around him is very good and the defense has been much better than the last 2 seasons.

I think both teams will top 24 points in what should prove to be one of the best playoff games this season. In the end though, the home field advantage and rest will pay off for Denver.

The Pats are a very talented and well coached team and it will not be an easy win. Those of you that are pointing to Jake and laughing haven't watched a lot of Denver games this year, he's played much better.

The Pats only put up 21 points at home against a weak Jags' team... they'll need more than that to win at Denver. The Pats' defense will have to contain a very sound rushing attack from Denver, and that will be tough to do in Denver.

My prediction...

Denver 30
Patriots 24

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I think the Seahawks beat the Redskins 27 - 17.

Seattle will get it done.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 08:00 PM
BB will be able to find ways to bring out the Plummer in Plummer.

Pats are finally healthy again and resemble the team they had last year in the postseason.

Indy still has to be the favorite in the AFC, but I would not be in the least surprised to see the Patriots win the Super Bowl again.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:02 PM

Pats are finally healthy again and resemble the team they had last year in the postseason.

Indy still has to be the favorite in the AFC, but I would not be in the least surprised to see the Patriots win the Super Bowl again.

I understand the disrespect for Shanahan and the Broncos... but, c'mon... it really sounds like some of you simply give Denver zero chance of winning in Denver.

It's truly amazing... prepare to be shocked.

01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I understand the disrespect for Shanahan and the Broncos... but, c'mon... it really sounds like some of you simply give Denver zero chance of winning in Denver.

Actually, it is more like "please don't let Denver win this game."

You do realize that God is a NE fan.

Mr. Kotter

Pat 46
Denver 6

Pretty much my real thoughts; except the 6 pts will be two Elam FGs.

Mile High Mania
Actually, it is more like "please don't let Denver win this game."

You do realize that God is a NE fan.

I don't know about all that...

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:06 PM

I wouldn't say "Zero" chances....but if they played ten times, the Broncos would be lucky to win 2 or 3 times--and they've already wasted one of those this year.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't say "Zero" chances....but if they played ten times, the Broncos would be lucky to win 2 or 3 times--and they've already wasted one of those this year.

Lucky to win 2 or 3 out of 10? Ok...

meStevo
01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
New England will beat Denver and then the Colts.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:12 PM
NE should just listen to you guys and not the media... they keep crying about being disrespected. Hell, you guys have awarded them the SB title. Too funny.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 08:14 PM

I don't give Denver no chance, but I would be seriously surprised if they won.

New England is back. Everyone pronounced their reign over, when half the team was on the injury report, but now they haven't lost a meaningful game since losing in November at Arrowhead. It won't be the struggling Patriots team from earlier this year. It's more or less the playoff team from last year. Except for injury trouble earlier in the year, Denver might be going to New England and then you would really hear about "no chance"

Yeah, it's at Mile High, count that in your favor but it's not exactly crazy to think that a team that's won 10 playoff games in a row could win one against a team that's 7 years removed from their last playoff win.

Of course Denver could win, they should, they are the 2 seed at home coming off a bye week. But I think the Patriots will beat them.

VonneMarie
01-08-2006, 08:14 PM
NE should just listen to you guys and not the media... they keep crying about being disrespected. Hell, you guys have awarded them the SB title. Too funny.
NE makes NFL history. Back to back to back...

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I don't give Denver no chance, but I would be seriously surprised if they won.

New England is back. Everyone pronounced their reign over, when half the team was on the injury report, but now they haven't lost a meaningful game since losing in November at Arrowhead. It won't be the struggling Patriots team from earlier this year. It's more or less the playoff team from last year. Except for injury trouble earlier in the year, Denver might be going to New England and then you would really hear about "no chance"

Yeah, it's at Mile High, count that in your favor but it's not exactly crazy to think that a team that's won 10 playoff games in a row could win one against a team that's 7 years removed from their last playoff win.

Of course Denver could win, they should, they are the 2 seed at home coming off a bye week. But I think the Patriots will beat them.

No, it's not crazy at all to think that, but...

NE played in a division that was down aside from a Miami team that had a nice stretch towards the end.

NE was 5-3 at home and on the road. They were 5-1 within a weak division.

They were 7-5 vs the AFC. After they're bye week, they were 7-3... losing to Indy, KC and Miami. They beat the Bills, Dolphins, Saints, Jets, Bills, Bucs and Jets.

Pardon me if I don't bow dow at that record vs that schedule.

Again, they are still the Pats and they are healthy, but facing the Jags at home in R1 wasn't really a good test. Denver has a great chance of beating NE soundly on Saturday.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking the Seahawks beat the crap out of DC. WAS isn't going to be getting those defensive scores that they got from TB. I can see Alexander coming up huge for SEA.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Lucky to win 2 or 3 out of 10? Ok...

One reason: Shanahan vs. Belichek

Shanny is nothing, without Elway. Another Marty Schottenheimer-Tom Coughlin-Dick Vermiel, pedestrian, middle of the road coach....maybe a lot like Herman Edwards. We'll see if Herm can rise above that status. Shanny has had his chance, and hasn't.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:30 PM
One reason: Shanahan vs. Belichek

Shanny is nothing, without Elway. Another Marty Schottenheimer-Tom Coughlin-Dick Vermiel, pedestrian, middle of the road coach....maybe a lot like Herman Edwards. We'll see if Herm can rise above that status. Shanny has had his chance, and hasn't.

Now you're just being silly.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:32 PM

NE played in a division that was down aside from a Miami team that had a nice stretch towards the end.

They were 7-5 vs the AFC. After they're bye week, they were 7-3... losing to Indy, KC and Miami. They beat the Bills, Dolphins, Saints, Jets, Bills, Bucs and Jets.

Again, they are still the Pats and they are healthy, but facing the Jags at home in R1 wasn't really a good test. Denver has a great chance of beating NE soundly on Saturday.

If I was a Denver fan, I'd wanna think the same team that just wiped Jacksonsville home field with their team, was the same one you are talking about. Go ahead; everyone is entitled to dream. For you, the dream is that same Patriot team you just described is the one you will see next week. For us, it's that Herm is gonna make next year different for us.

Everyone should have a dream. :D

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Now you're just being silly.

Shanny has pissed more opportunities and talent down his leg since Elway retired, than any other coach in the league. Period.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Shanny has pissed more opportunities and talent down his leg since Elway retired, than any other coach in the league. Period.

You're not including Vermeil in this statement, right?

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:36 PM

Pat 46
Denver 6

Yep. We have no chance. I'm going to go ahead and call it...NE 78, DEN 2. Bellichek will give us a Safety at the end just because he feels sorry for Bronco fans. It will be a bloodbath.

You can't stop the power that is The Patroits...

Our players will be asking their players for autographs by the end of the third quarter..

Teddy Bruschi will save a drowning child while intercepting Plummer and returning it for a TD. They will just award him a two-point conversion on the spot in the feel-good story of round two...

Brady will send all ten other players out in pass patterrns at the same time. Not only will they score on the play but they will make sure that everyone on the field has a chance to carry the ball for a few seconds to demonstrate what teamwork is all about...

We have no chance.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:37 PM
You're not including Vermeil in this statement, right?

Vermiel had talent on one side of the ball; Shanny has had a minimum of 3-4 years with enough talent on both sides of the ball, that he should have another Superbowl appearance or two--but he doesn't. And it's because he doesn't have Elway to bail his azz out.

Of course, this year is different; Plummer is finally your new Elway, right? Heh. ;)

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Vermiel had talent on one side of the ball; Shanny has had a minimum of 3-4 years with enough talent on both sides of the ball, that he should have another Superbowl appearance or two--but he doesn't. And it's because he doesn't have Elway to bail his azz out.

Of course, this year is different; Plummer is finally your new Elway, right? Heh. ;)

So you're saying that the Broncos have been much better than the Chiefs for a substantial amount of time since Elway left? Wow. Fairly telling admission.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:39 PM

Oh, ok. So, if Vermeil had been a good enough head coach to field a decent defense he'd qualify for pissing the most talent down his leg. Good thing for you guys, I guess.

milkman
01-08-2006, 08:40 PM

BB will find a way to shut down the Donkeys ground game and put the game in the hands of Plumber.

Forced to actually have to make reads and decisions, Plumber looks like the Plumber Chiefs fans have come to know and...........well enjoy his mistake fest.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Denver had 178 yards rushing the first time around... Bell had 114 and a TD, looks good should he start again.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Denver had 178 yards rushing the first time around...

And NE had how many Defensive players out, or gimpy? :)

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:43 PM

Two. So...let's see...178 divided by 11 equals 16.18 so add those two guys back in and we only end up with 145.64 yards. I can live with that.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:43 PM
So you're saying that the Broncos have been much better than the Chiefs for a substantial amount of time since Elway left? Wow. Fairly telling admission.

I said, they've had better TALENT. The Chiefs have actually gotten more out of their talent....IMHO. Think of the Defensvie side of the ball, especially. :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Two.

Try again; I'm not doing your googling for you either. ;)

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:45 PM

I dunno you tell me. Is Bruschi playing this week... he didn't the first time around IIRC. Maybe Amnorix will show up and tell us defensively how they're different with starters.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:46 PM
I said, they've had better TALENT. The Chiefs have actually gotten more out of their talent....IMHO. Think of the Defensvie side of the ball, especially. :shrug:

So you're saying that the Broncos have been more talented than the Chiefs for a sustantial amount of the time since Elway left?

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:47 PM

I guess we need your definition of success or getting more from their talent... while they haven't won a playoff game since Elway retired, Shanahan has found the playoffs 4 times now since Elway retired.

How many times has KC found the playoffs since Elway retired?

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Serious, what are our respective records since Elway retired?

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Serious, what are our respective records since Elway retired?

All I know is that since Elway retired... Denver still has more total wins than any other team in the AFCW. Denver has more playoff appearances and they got their division title this season.

Now, it's time for the playoff win.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM

They can only beat the teams on their schedule. It's not their fault that the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills decided to suck so bad. You're absolutely right though - in another division, they probably wouldn't have been able to right the ship and make the playoffs.

But that is all in the past. Right now, do the Patriots line up more like earlier this year, when they went to Denver and only lost by 8, (when according to yahoo there were 18 players on their injury report) or more like at the start of last year's playoffs? Right now the only one listed on New England's injury report is Bruschi.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
All I know is that since Elway retired... Denver still has more total wins than any other team in the AFCW. Denver has more playoff appearances and they got their division title this season.

Sounds good. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I dunno you tell me. Is Bruschi playing this week... he didn't the first time around IIRC. Maybe Amnorix will show up and tell us defensively how they're different with starters.

I listened to the NE/Jax game on the radio, and they said he was dressed and was available as needed but didn't get any snaps as a precaution.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:52 PM
They can only beat the teams on their schedule. It's not their fault that the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills decided to suck so bad. You're absolutely right though - in another division, they probably wouldn't have been able to right the ship and make the playoffs.

But that is all in the past. Right now, do the Patriots line up more like earlier this year, when they went to Denver and only lost by 8, (when according to yahoo there were 18 players on their injury report) or more like at the start of last year's playoffs? Right now the only one listed on New England's injury report is Bruschi.

C'mon.. you're going to include injury reports? You've read Amnorix's comments about that... I think Brady was on the injury report this week. Get real.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM
I listened to the NE/Jax game on the radio, and they said he was dressed and was available as needed but didn't get any snaps as a precaution.

Ok, but had NE gone down 17-0 by the second quarter, I doubt he comes in...

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:53 PM

I watched quite a bit of it and the TV talking heads were saying that he was supposed to start this game but didn't play. I trust radio guys more on stuff like this.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 08:54 PM
C'mon.. you're going to include injury reports? You've read Amnorix's comments about that... I think Brady was on the injury report this week. Get real.

I don't know how else to quantify the state of injury from earlier in the season.

Do you at least acknowledge that they generally look a few notches better than when they lost by 8 points @Denver earlier this year?

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:54 PM
We'll find out next week... if Bruschi is healthy, he'll start.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't know how else to quantify the state of injury from earlier in the season.

Do you at least acknowledge that they generally look a few notches better than when they lost by 8 points @Denver earlier this year?

Yeah, but they were playing the Jaguars. The Jaguars. With a gimpy Byron Leftwich. Hard to say. They did look good, though.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 08:56 PM

I've already said that NE turns it up in the playoffs and have played very well. I've admitted it will be a damn tough game... but, 99% of the comments on here state that Denver doesn't even stand a chance and I think that's more bitterness than reality.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 08:57 PM

Sounds about right. Except, the playoff win part....and that's where Shanny comes in. Maybe that Brown's D-Line will key his turning it around; I doubt it though.

Denver has failed to meet expectations more than any other team I can think of over that time--since 1999. Coming from a Chief's fan, that should tell you something. We're not far behind, I'll concede.

But we didn't have a chance under Gun; and under Vermiel, this year was the most disappointing--because of the neglect on the Defensive side of the ball during previous seasons, we weren't going anywhere. 2003 was an illusion, of Hall kick-returns and an easy schedule making us appear as that year's version of this year's Bears.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Sounds about right. Except, the playoff win part....and that's where Shanny comes in. Maybe that Brown's D-Line will key his turning it around; I doubt it though.

Denver has failed to meet expectations more than any other team I can think of over that time--since 1999. Coming from a Chief's fan, that should tell you something. We're not far behind, I'll concede.

But we didn't have a chance under Gun; and under Vermiel, this year was the most disappointing--because of the neglect on the Defensive side of the ball during previous seasons, we weren't going anywhere. 2003 was an illusion, of Hall kick-returns and an easy schedule making us appear as that year's version of this year's Bears.

You're just making sad excuses for Vermeil.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Going to be a great, close, hard-fought game.

Denver has historically had the Patriots number. They never won at all during the Elway years, and even under Brady/Belichick they're something like 1-2 (Brady had a horrific game against them his first year starting).

Whether Bruschi plays or not is critical. Our defensive front 7 CAN shut down the Broncos running attack and make them one dimensional, IF he is healthy enough to play well. For those of you who remember the first game -- be aware that the Patriots in 2005 is a tale of two seasons. The first 8 or so games and the last 8 or so. In the first 8, we basically sucked. In the last 8, we led the league in run defense, among other things.

I think whoever manages to avoid turnovers the best and make one or two more key plays will win the game. I'll take Brady/Belichick over anybody else, so I'm fairly confident, but I could really wish that we either had Rodney Harrison back, or a running game. We have neither, unfortunately, but I'm sure it'll be a helluva lot more competitive than the pasting we took early in the season.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:01 PM
I've already said that NE turns it up in the playoffs and have played very well. I've admitted it will be a damn tough game... but, 99% of the comments on here state that Denver doesn't even stand a chance and I think that's more bitterness than reality.

Pssst. You think if the shoe were on the other foot, and this were a Chief's fan thread on the Mane....that the casting wouldn't be 180 degrees reversed? ;)

Most of us despise the Donks; and even if we didn't really think you guys were gonna get pounded by the Pats, we'd still SAY it....just to annoy you guys. Heh.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 09:02 PM

I would put the odds at about 60-40 in favor of New England, in my head.

I understand your surprise at one group of fans largely predicting a home loss by a team with a first round bye. But all I see is a team that has been playing well for the last month, who manhandled a playoff team this weekend, that has an all-time best playoff winning streak going, playing a team that has been snakebit in the postseason recently. It doesn't seem like a huge stretch to me. 60-40 :shrug:

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Going to be a great, close, hard-fought game....

Bullcrap. Quit being diplomatic. Belichek is gonna make Shanny his Tranny-bitch, just in time for Mardi Gras. ;)

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:03 PM

We were a pathetic, crippled unit that first game. Injuries and inconsistent play (especially with the Beisel/Brown ILB corp) killed us.

Now it's Colvin and Willie on the outside and Vrabel and (God-willing) Bruschi on the inside, and there isn't a linebacker group I'd rather have. Those 4 guys have 11 Super Bowl rings between 'em.

Unfortunately, some of our early season injuries became "permanent" with guys going to IR, like LT Matt Light. We apparently won't have the benefit of any kind of rushing attack this postseason, which doesn't make me too happy. 'course we won with Antowain freaking Smith a couple times, so I know it's not an insurmountable problem, necessarily.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:05 PM

I'm of two minds:

1. I heard that he ran around prior ot the game testing his leg, and walked off the field shaking his head, which suggests that he couldn't go except in an emergency.

2. the other possibility, VERY possible, is that the Pats determined they could almost definitely beat the weak offensive attack of the Jags without Bruschi, and therefore gave him another week to heal up.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:07 PM
... Our defensive front 7 CAN shut down the Broncos running attack and make them one dimensional...

And that dimension is Plummer gettin' picked at least twice, and probably three times before all is said and done....I'm giddy like a kid before Christmas. This playoff scenario couldn't have worked out any better--if you are a Donkey-hater. :D

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:09 PM
You're just making sad excuses for Vermeil.

Excuses? Hell, I've villified him for the last three years for not pulling his head out of his ass, as far as the Defense was concerned. Hell, I'm one of those who enjoyed and liked what he brought to KC, but am glad to see his ass ride into the sunset.

Chiefs Pantalones
Belichick does a great job of making an offense one dimensional, and if he does that to the Broncos and forces Plummer to beat them...the Broncos are toast, because Jake Plummer is no Brady or Manning.

teedubya

This is my thought as well... although, Im going to try to manifest a Patriots win. The Donx breaking the Pats 10 game playoff win streak would be unbearable.

Amnorix

This is what I said at the time:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126680&highlight=amnorix

I noted that the following were injured for that game:

"*This statement is limited to situations in which the Patriots are missing (1) their starting running back (Pro Bowl alternate Corey Dillon), (2) their 3rd down specialist running back (Kevin Faulk), (3) their starting left tackle (Matt Light), (4) their all-pro defensive lineman (Richard Seymour), (5) their pro bowl linebacker (Tedy Bruschi), (6) their other starting inside linebacker who retired unexpectedly just before the season started (Ted Johnson), (7) their pro bowl strong safety (Rodney Harrison), (8) their third WR (Troy Brown), (9), a starting cornerback (Tyrone Poole), and (10) the guy who replaced Rodney Harrison (Guss Scott) therefore leaving us with a rookie with 1 prior game of experience as starting SS."

NOW, we have the following guys back:

1. Corey Dillon
2. Kevin Faulk
3. Richard Seymour
4. Tedy Bruschi (I hope)
5. Troy Brown

Frankly, without Dillon and Faulk, we have no running game, and throw in Brown and suddenly we have no third down package.

We have at this point also adjusted to having lost Matt Light and Rodney Harrison for the season, so our replacements there are much better. Unfortunately, we also lost our starting center, Dan Koppen, for the season since that game, but his replacement is adequate at least (Russ Hochstein).

To say we were decimated that game is an understatement.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping for the double upset of Pittsburgh over a rusty Indy and Pats over Donx. Then Pats host Steelers for a third meeting of these two teams in the AFC Championship over the last 5 years ('01, '04, '05).

And the Steelers, of course, going home, AGAIN. :D

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:15 PM
For whatever it's worth, things to give the Pats hope against Dungver.

Brady: undefeated in playoffs (10-0). Best evah.

Belichick: 11-1 in playoffs, .917 win percentage is best evah.

Patriots have won 10 straight playoff games. NFL record.

Belichick has some kind of sick unbelievable record when playing a second game against a team that he lost to the last time around. Like 21-2 or something absolutely absurd.

Vinatieri is one of the few that can match Elam in Mile High.

Weather will be no factor at all for the Patriots. As for thin air, I have no idea how much that impacts anybody, but Belichick will know how best to work it.

Eleazar
01-08-2006, 09:15 PM
I think whoever manages to avoid turnovers the best and make one or two more key plays will win the game. I'll take Brady/Belichick over anybody else, so I'm fairly confident, but I could really wish that we either had Rodney Harrison back, or a running game. We have neither, unfortunately, but I'm sure it'll be a helluva lot more competitive than the pasting we took early in the season.

The object is to get Plummer in obvious passing situations, where the rollout action isn't protected much by the threat of the run, I don't think he will consistently make conversions. If New England can keep 3rd down yardage high and do a good job covering the backs in those situations - take away the safe passes - and keep Plummer behind the LOS, make him throw the ball down the field and win the game with his arm, good things will happen for NE.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
As I recall you had a RB (FB?) named Pass that looked pretty damn good last time at Mile High.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 09:19 PM
The object is to get Plummer in obvious passing situations, where the rollout action isn't protected much by the threat of the run, I don't think he will consistently make conversions. If New England can keep 3rd down yardage high and do a good job covering the backs in those situations - take away the safe passes - and keep Plummer behind the LOS, make him throw the ball down the field and win the game with his arm, good things will happen for NE.

Belichick isn't Goonther, I'm sure he'll be ready for the bootleg.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:21 PM
As I recall you had a RB (FB?) named Pass that looked pretty damn good last time at Mile High.

Patrick Pass. He's a fullback/halfback hybrid who is used in every conceivable situation. He's one of those "good at everything, great at nothing" type guys that the Patriots love. He's a blocking fullback, a punt/kick returner in an emergency, plays on all Pats special teams units, can play tailback in an emergency, can be third down back in an emergency, etc.

But he never, ever, EVER carries the ball in the regular offense if Dillon/Faulk are 100% healthy. He's a utility guy. A swiss-army knife for the team. He's not an NFL caliber tailback.

listopencil
01-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Patrick Pass. He's a fullback/halfback hybrid who is used in every conceivable situation. He's one of those "good at everything, great at nothing" type guys that the Patriots love. He's a blocking fullback, a punt/kick returner in an emergency, plays on all Pats special teams units, can play tailback in an emergency, can be third down back in an emergency, etc.

But he never, ever, EVER carries the ball in the regular offense if Dillon/Faulk are 100% healthy. He's a utility guy. A swiss-army knife for the team. He's not an NFL caliber tailback.

He looked alright last time around. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some carries. Dillon/Faulk didn't look especially effective, but it's hard to say because the Jag interior D-Line is really good. The strength of their D.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:26 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well.

When the Pats front 7 is healthy and clicking, they can shut down any running attack, including the zone blocking, multiple cutback lane approach of the Broncos. I've seen it against other teams. The defense just holds the point of attack, fills all gaps, and the RB just runs out of playing field and ends up with a gain of between -2 and +3 yards, usually because he's about to, or does, go out of bounds. It's beatiful to watch.

The problem, of course, is defending the run well when there's at least a semi-real QB at the helm. Plummer is no Brady/Manning, but he's not Chris Simms, Brooks Bollinger etc. either.

Pats have been two-gapping and staying within themselves VERY well since mid-November. LJ was the only guy to go over 100 yards on us over the last few months, and even he had only a 3.0 yards per carry average (I have no doubt that statistically that was his worst game of the year since he became the starter).

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:28 PM
He looked alright last time around. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some carries. Dillon/Faulk didn't look especially effective, but it's hard to say because the Jag interior D-Line is really good. The strength of their D.

Pats running attack has sucked all year. But yeah, against the Jags it looked even worse.

I was surprised we didn't do more swing passes and pitches to the edges, rather than Dillon up the middle stuff.

Let me say this -- as a running back, Faulk has it all over Pass. Much faster, shiftier and better vision. Pass doesn't bring it like Dillon either.

Let me put it this way -- if we can make YOUR rushing attack as mediocre as ours is almost certainly going to be, then we'll likely win because I'll take Brady and crew over Plummer and crew. THAT, plus critical turnovers and the like, is probably what decides the game.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:29 PM
For those of you who remember the first game -- be aware that the Patriots in 2005 is a tale of two seasons. The first 8 or so games and the last 8 or so. In the first 8, we basically sucked. In the last 8, we led the league in run defense, among other things.

Might this have anything to do with that statement?

NE - First 8 games:
Raiders/Panthers/Steelers/Chargers/Falcons/Broncos/Bills/ Colts

NE - Last 8 games:
Dolphins/Saints/Chiefs/Jets/Bills/Bucs/Jets/Dolphins

Saints - Jets X2 - Bills ... 4 of those last 8... kinda helps the production, wouldn't you say?

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Further to my last post -- this, by the way, is how we beat the Panthers in Super Bowl 38. We took away their running attack, and our passing attack was better than theirs.

Our running attack (that was Antowain Smith's last year) was nothing special, but against us, neither was theirs. Except for one great off-tackle run by, errr, either Davis or the other guy, that went for a 35 yard or so TD, they did nothing all day running the ball.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Further to my last post -- this, by the way, is how we beat the Panthers in Super Bowl 38. We took away their running attack, and our passing attack was better than theirs.

Our running attack (that was Antowain Smith's last year) was nothing special, but against us, neither was theirs. Except for one great off-tackle run by, errr, either Davis or the other guy, that went for a 35 yard or so TD, they did nothing all day running the ball.

Help me out here... what has changed defensively for NE compared to the last meeting? Denver put up 178 rushing yards in the victory.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:35 PM

NE - First 8 games:

NE - Last 8 games:

Saints - Jets X2 - Bills ... 4 of those last 8... kinda helps the production, wouldn't you say?

Sure, that's part of it. But not all of it. The Bills killed us on teh ground the first game, and could do nothing the second.

We went from like 29th in the NFL against the run to 4th before the meaningless Miami game. That had at least as much, if not more to do with getting Seymour and Bruschi back and moving Vrabel inside as it did the schedule.

If that doesn't convince you, how about this -- against the Chiefs mighty rushing attack, Larry Johnson averaged 3.8 yards, and the Chiefs 3.0 yards, per carrry against us.

That's somewhat deflated by the fact they ran alot the second half, but compared to what LJ did against EVERYBODY else (5.2 average for the year), that ain't bad at all. We consistently stopped them in the red zone as well, whereas in prior games, EVERYBODY who got to the red zoen scored TDs. Seriously.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Help me out here... what has changed defensively for NE compared to the last meeting? Denver put up 178 rushing yards in the victory.

1. All world defensive tackle Richard Seymour was out that game, and is now healthy.

2. our Inside Linebackers that game were Monty Beisel and Chad Brown, who frankly sucked. Since then, we have Bruschi back, and have moved Mike Vrabel (260 lbs.) into the inside as well.

3. Vince Wilfork was playing terrible early in the year. He had apparently forgotten how to two-gap. Now he's playing terrific.

So, basically, the entire heart of the Pats 3-4 defense -- the NG and the two ILBs, are playing MUCH better than they were. Also, our best defensive lineman was out that game and is now back.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Sure, that's part of it. But not all of it. The Bills killed us on teh ground the first game, and could do nothing the second.

We went from like 29th in the NFL against the run to 4th before the meaningless Miami game. That had at least as much, if not more to do with getting Seymour and Bruschi back and moving Vrabel inside as it did the schedule.

If that doesn't convince you, how about this -- against the Chiefs mighty rushing attack, Larry Johnson averaged 3.8 yards, and the Chiefs 3.0 yards, per carrry against us.

That's somewhat deflated by the fact they ran alot the second half, but compared to what LJ did against EVERYBODY else (5.2 average for the year), that ain't bad at all. We consistently stopped them in the red zone as well, whereas in prior games, EVERYBODY who got to the red zoen scored TDs. Seriously.

LJ had a low avg, but he still had 119 yards rushing and a TD on 31 carries .. in a KC win and they never trailed.

Bring it, big boy.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:39 PM

NE - First 8 games:

NE - Last 8 games:

Yeah, your second half schedule was even easier though....and you split your only two tough games.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 09:40 PM
LJ had a low avg, but he still had 119 yards rushing and a TD on 31 carries .. in a KC win and they never trailed.

Bring it, big boy.

You have no one even close to LJ.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:40 PM
1. All world defensive tackle Richard Seymour was out that game, and is now healthy.

2. our Inside Linebackers that game were Monty Beisel and Chad Brown, who frankly sucked. Since then, we have Bruschi back, and have moved Mike Vrabel (260 lbs.) into the inside as well.

3. Vince Wilfork was playing terrible early in the year. He had apparently forgotten how to two-gap. Now he's playing terrific.

So, basically, the entire heart of the Pats 3-4 defense -- the NG and the two ILBs, are playing MUCH better than they were. Also, our best defensive lineman was out that game and is now back.

Bruschi is likely out next week as well. Yes, you have Seymour back... but, this is in Denver against the #2 rushing attack in the entire league. It won't be easy, but Denver wins.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
You have no one even close to LJ.

I know... LJ got 119 on 31 carries with a TD. Bell got 114 and a TD on 13 carries.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Bruschi is likely out next week as well. Yes, you have Seymour back... but, this is in Denver against the #2 rushing attack in the entire league. It won't be easy, but Denver wins.

Bruschi was available yesterday, IF they had needed him; they chose to rest him, because they didn't need him.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
I know... LJ got 119 on 31 carries with a TD. Bell got 114 and a TD on 13 carries.

LJ would have gone off for 200 on that Pats D you faced.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
1st game against Buffalo:

McGahee: 31 carries for 136 yards

2nd game against Buffalo:

McGahee: 8 carries for 3 yards

Also, it'd take waaay too much time to research it, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that in the first 8 games, each primary RB for the opposing team ran for his season average per carry or better. In the last 7 (ignore the Miami game), he carried for worse than his seasonal average. We completely dominated the run. Sure, some of those teams sucked, but still...

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, your second half schedule was even easier though....and you split your only two tough games.

Easier? @Dallas/@KC/@SD - 3 very tough road games in the final 8... and to steal something from earlier, I guess Denver also can't be faulted for their schedule.

8-0 in Denver baby.

Amnorix
01-08-2006, 09:45 PM
LJ would have gone off for 200 on that Pats D you faced.

Exactly.

And MHM -- you can't be serious that you wouldn't trade Bell for LJ, right? So spare us the foolish comments.

Amnorix
Gotta hit the sack. g'night all.

Mile High Mania
Damn, I guess I'm sold... NE is on their way to another title. There's just simply no way this fully functional and highly talented team can be defeated.

This is good though.. when Denver defeats them we've essentially eliminated any possible excuse for a fluke win.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Easier? @Dallas/@KC/@SD - 3 very tough road games in the final 8... and to steal something from earlier, I guess Denver also can't be faulted for their schedule.

8-0 in Denver baby.

Yeah, 8-1 is gonna such that much more then, eh? :)

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
...This is good though.. when Denver defeats them we've essentially eliminated any possible excuse for a fluke win.

Don't worry; we won't need one. Bowlen is already sending cash to the Refs....his only hope.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Don't worry; we won't need one. Bowlen is already sending cash to the Refs....his only hope.

Thankfully, you still have that.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 09:57 PM
All I know is that if you stop the Broncos running game, you'll win.

It should be a great game. Two good teams. I would be surprised though if the Pats get upset. Too good of a team that is battle tested in the playoffs.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Thankfully, you still have that.

And chop-blocking, and Crisco, and cheating the salary cap.....but I honestly don't think we'll need 'em this year. ;)

cdcox
01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
I think NE will contain Denver's run. Good defenses do that in the playoffs. But NE is vulnerable in the secondary. The question is can Denver get their passing game working well enough to exploit that weakness?

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 10:00 PM
All I know is that if you stop the Broncos running game, you'll win.

It should be a great game. Two good teams. I would be surprised though if the Pats get upset. Too good of a team that is battle tested in the playoffs.

Actually, the Donks are 3 pt favorites at the moment....stupid Las Vegas bastards. :rolleyes:

teedubya
01-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Resize your avatar MileHighChief, its way past its limit of acceptability.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Actually, the Donks are 3 pt favorites at the moment....stupid Las Vegas bastards. :rolleyes:

Denver may win, but I wouldn't bet on it. Not a lot of money anyway.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Denver may win, but I wouldn't bet on it. Not a lot of money anyway.

Denver could win, but chances are not good....IMHO.

(Belichek + Brady) x (experience + kharma) > (Shanny + Plummer) x (homefield + Shanny w/o Elway)

;)

Chiefs Pantalones
01-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Denver could win, but chances are not good....IMHO.

(Belichek + Brady) x (experience + kharma) > (Shanny + Plummer) x ("homefield" + Shanny w/o Elway)

;)

I know, I'm not picking NE just becaues it's Denver. I'll always root against them, like they do us, but unbiasly, you have to pick the champs, home or away.

I predict two Plummer INTs, both crucial.

Mr. Kotter
01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
...I predict two Plummer INTs, both crucial.

I'll match yours, and up the ante to THREE Dummer picks. ;)

Nzoner
01-08-2006, 10:22 PM
The Pats only put up 21 points at home against a weak Jags' team... they'll need more than that to win at Denver.

Correction,28,their defense had a 70 yd int for a td.I'm pretty sure Jake ought to be good for a pick or two.

Hammock Parties
01-08-2006, 10:25 PM
The Jaguars defense isn't weak. It's better than Denver's for sure.

Kerberos
01-08-2006, 10:36 PM
But Shanny's no slouch.

Don't sell Shanny short....... He's a "Tremendous Slouch" !

:D

dirk digler
01-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Belichick has some kind of sick unbelievable record when playing a second game against a team that he lost to the last time around. Like 21-2 or something absolutely absurd.

This is the sole reason why I think the Pats will win. It has been very tough for teams to beat the Pats twice in 1 season, damn near impossible lately.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 06:31 AM

3.5 from what I heard on the radio this morning.

That means on a neutral field the Donx would be 0.5 favorites. That's not bad since Denver smacked us earlier this year and went 13-3 to our 10-6 and was 8-0 at home, etc.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 06:33 AM
The Jaguars defense isn't weak. It's better than Denver's for sure.

The Jags defense was really damn good. I knew about the run defense and the two big DTs, but those guys were terrific in coverage as well. I dunno if that's typical for them or if they were playing outside their own skin or what, but I was impressed.

Pats had the #2 (by yards) passing attack in the NFL this year, and it's rare to see Brady look as uncomfortable as he did against the Jags.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Correction,28,their defense had a 70 yd int for a td.I'm pretty sure Jake ought to be good for a pick or two.

I wasn't forgetting the defensive score... I was referring to the NE offense.

I can't wait for the game, especially since Denver has no chance of winning.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 06:56 AM
I wasn't forgetting the defensive score... I was referring to the NE offense.

I can't wait for the game, especially since Denver has no chance of winning.

Just for the record, I think it will be a close, hard-fought game with the margin of victory being less than 7, and most likely by 3 or 4. 28-24 or something in that range.

VonneMarie
01-09-2006, 07:04 AM
Just for the record, I think it will be a close, hard-fought game with the margin of victory being less than 7, and most likely by 3 or 4. 28-24 or something in that range.
Being modest will get you nowhere...

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 07:05 AM

I feel the same, I'm throwing Den 30 / NE 24 out there as a prediction. I do think it will be a good game. Denver needs their A game.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Being modest will get you nowhere...

:shrug: Although I'm generally optimistic, it's really rare that I just swagger around saying we'll kill these guys.

Maybe it's too many years of being a Patsies/Red Sox fan. Even if I see the glass as half full, I'm wondering if there isn't a small hole in the bottom or something...

Seriously, though, I was alot more confident last year in the playoffs, even when going up against Indy with no DBs to speak of, or going TO Pittsburgh. That team had proven it could beat anybody. Thsi year's team has been very inconsistent, and although that appears to be straightened out, I do worry about the poor competition the second half of the year.

VonneMarie
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
:shrug: Although I'm generally optimistic, it's really rare that I just swagger around saying we'll kill these guys.

Feel free, you're on a rival BB of the team you should OBILTERATE on Saturday...

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Their 10-0 playoff streak is a good one... 5-0 at home, 3-0 in the SB and 2 other road wins at the Steelers.

We'll find out very soon what happens when they come back to Denver for the rematch. I'm hoping Shannon Sharpe is standing on the sidelines near the phone, just in case he needs to call the National Guard again to help the Pats.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Feel free, you're on a rival BB of the team you should OBILTERATE on Saturday...

The Chiefs are playing?

VonneMarie
01-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Their 10-0 playoff streak is a good one... 5-0 at home, 3-0 in the SB and 2 other road wins at the Steelers.

We'll find out very soon what happens when they come back to Denver for the rematch. I'm hoping Shannon Sharpe is standing on the sidelines near the phone, just in case he needs to call the National Guard again to help the Pats.
That was one of the best things he ever said. Classic. ROFL

phxchief
01-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Some of you guys are on crack. Have you actually sat down and watched the Patriots as well as their opposition during this "hot streak"?

Tampa Bay? Buffalo? New York? Jacksonville? LOL

Get the f*ck outta here.

The Broncos are going to crush the Patriots, unfortunately, and they're going to make most experts and a lotta fans look all kinda silly.

Mr. Kotter -- what, what EXACTLY, is Bill Belichick without Tom Brady?

phxchief
01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
That means on a neutral field the Donx would be 0.5 favorites. That's not bad since Denver smacked us earlier this year and went 13-3 to our 10-6 and was 8-0 at home, etc.

What does going 8-0 at home have to do with anything if the game's on a neutral field? :p

King_Chief_Fan
01-09-2006, 12:24 PM

It makes him Mike Shanahan......w/o Elway

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Some of you guys are on crack. Have you actually sat down and watched the Patriots as well as their opposition during this "hot streak"?

Tampa Bay? Buffalo? New York? Jacksonville? LOL

Get the f*ck outta here.

The Broncos are going to crush the Patriots, unfortunately, and they're going to make most experts and a lotta fans look all kinda silly.

What is Joe Gibbs without the Hogs? What is Jimmy Johnson without the Big Three? What is Chuck Noll without Bradshaw and a defense full of HOFers? What is Tom Landry without Staubach and Dorsett.

And do the players make the coach, or does the coach make the players?

Is Brady better than Manning, or does Brady just have a better defense and coaching staff around him? Was Montana better than Marino, or was it that Montana had a running attack and a guy named Jerry Rice?

And how many, exactly, angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
The ride ends for NE this week... the playoff streak will come to an abrupt stop.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
The ride ends for NE this week... the playoff streak will come to an abrupt stop.

It would suck, but frankly the Patriots have already outperformed my expectations for them that I had after the midway point of the season (see my sig) so I won't cry.

Seriously, though, what hope do you have in Indy against the Colts that things will be any different than the last two years. I won't pretend that if the Pats win I have no fears of getting pasted by the Colts. If I was Denver, who seems to have a singularly horrendous match up against them, I really wouldn't feel good about it.

I guess you're rooting with all your might for the Steelers. I know I am if the Pats win Saturday. :D

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Fun with stats...

Since the bye week (w7), the Pats welcomed back a bunch of players and watched their defense become better at stopping the run. Or, did they? Teams NE beat and where they ranked rushing the ball:

Bills (#20)
Dolphins (#13)
Saints (#18)
Jets (#31)
Bills (#20)
Bucs (#14)
Jets (#31)

Lost to Indy (#16) and Miami (#13) in the final week.

They defeated the Jags in R1 and they ended the season ranked #10 in rushing offense.

Another look at those teams during that time when the Pats went 8-3 and where those teams ranked defensively in points allowed at season's end.

Bills (#20)
Dolphins (#15)
Saints (#14)
Jets (#23)
Bills (#20)
Bucs (#8)
Jets (#23)

Lost to Indy (#2) and Miami (#15) in the final week. The Jags were ranked #6.

Again, just fun with stats ... feel free to pick through the stats for your own enjoyment.

I just thought it was interesting to dig into this "resurgence" during the 2nd half of the season for NE.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
It would suck, but frankly the Patriots have already outperformed my expectations for them that I had after the midway point of the season (see my sig) so I won't cry.

Seriously, though, what hope do you have in Indy against the Colts that things will be any different than the last two years. I won't pretend that if the Pats win I have no fears of getting pasted by the Colts. If I was Denver, who seems to have a singularly horrendous match up against them, I really wouldn't feel good about it.

I guess you're rooting with all your might for the Steelers. I know I am if the Pats win Saturday. :D

I can't worry about Indy/Pitt until after Saturday's game... should Denver win and be forced to travel to Indy, so be it. Would I be thrilled? No.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Again, just fun with stats ... feel free to pick through the stats for your own enjoyment.

I just thought it was interesting to dig into this "resurgence" during the 2nd half of the season for NE.

Miami the last week is irrelevant. We had ALL second and third stringers in there starting halfway through the first quarter.

Why isn't the game against the Chiefs listed, where Larry Johnson, who averaged 5.2 yards per carry for the season, only ran for 3.8 against us?

Chiefs had the 5th best rushing attack this year by the end.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
I can't worry about Indy/Pitt until after Saturday's game... should Denver win and be forced to travel to Indy, so be it. Would I be thrilled? No.

Suffice to say that whoever goes to the SB out of the AFC will have earned it. I still think that whoever the NFC sends will get trounced by the AFC candidate.

Can't possibly be Pittsburgh either. No way that team wins three games on the road against the kind of opponents they'll have to face.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Miami the last week is irrelevant. We had ALL second and third stringers in there starting halfway through the first quarter.

Why isn't the game against the Chiefs listed, where Larry Johnson, who averaged 5.2 yards per carry for the season, only ran for 3.8 against us?

Chiefs had the 5th best rushing attack this year by the end.

I know Miami is irrelevant, and I didn't list the KC game by accident... but, it was still a loss and LJ still had 119 yards and scored. Yeah, his average was low, but he had 30+ carries ... they won by 10 and controlled the clock.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 02:07 PM
I agree on the AFC/NFC comment... but, on that same note ... the AFC team that advances could be dog ass whipped by that game.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:09 PM
I agree on the AFC/NFC comment... but, on that same note ... the AFC team that advances could be dog ass whipped by that game.

That's not usually the result. Usually the survivor from the stronger conference wins, apparently having become "battle hardened" or whatever. NFC dominance in the 80s, and AFC dominance in the late 90s into the new millenium.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I know Miami is irrelevant, and I didn't list the KC game by accident... but, it was still a loss and LJ still had 119 yards and scored. Yeah, his average was low, but he had 30+ carries ... they won by 10 and controlled the clock.

Yes, but it was at KC and we did have an absurd number of turnovers. Caused by an active defense to be sure, but still, 4 picks for Brady is uncharacteristic to say the least.

Let me put it this way -- Denver averaged 4.7 ypc this year, which is phenomenal. Against a bad run defense, at home, you'd expect to do at least that well, and probably alot better.

I'm betting you'll do worse than that.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes, but it was at KC and we did have an absurd number of turnovers. Caused by an active defense to be sure, but still, 4 picks for Brady is uncharacteristic to say the least.

Let me put it this way -- Denver averaged 4.7 ypc this year, which is phenomenal. Against a bad run defense, at home, you'd expect to do at least that well, and probably alot better.

I'm betting you'll do worse than that.

I think they'll at least averat 4.0 ypc on Saturday... on roughly 30 or so carries between the group. That should be enough.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I think they'll at least averat 4.0 ypc on Saturday... on roughly 30 or so carries between the group. That should be enough.

4.0 may or may not get it done. If you have 30 carries among your RBs, then that would tend to suggest a bad situation for the Patriots (i.e. Denver playing with the lead).

The most important statistics may well be the turnover differential. Dnever was second in the NFL with +20. Pats were -5 for the year, but in the last 8 games or whatever had a positive turnover differential.

Denver and NE were 3rd and 4th in completion percentage against, both in the low 56% range. Pats run defense ended at 3.6 ypc, with Denver having a 4.0 ypc. Denver had an NFL worst sacks per pass attempt percentage.

Denver had 4th best points per game defense at 16.1, while Pats were lower part of the middle of the pack at 20.1. Small caveat there for the Pats "tale of two seasons" issue that we've gone round and round on already.

Basically, if one team can leap ahead by 2 TDs under whatever circumstances, the other team will probably have a tough time catching up.

Absent that, I see it as a fairly close matchup of two good teams, with probably a handful of key plays, most importantly turnovers, deciding the matchup.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 02:26 PM
At the very least, we can keep discussion this here and hopefully drive a few KC fans insane.

And, I still say that NE is not the only team that is better now compared to when these 2 teams played in week 6. Denver has improved as well.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
And, I still say that NE is not the only team that is better now compared to when these 2 teams played in week 6. Denver has improved as well.

Sure. Every team improves from week to week, no doubt about it. Your playbook expands, the players timing gets better, etc.

But relatively speaking I have little doubt the Patriots have improved far more, relative to where they were earlier in the season, than just about anybody. Getting Bruschi, Seymour, Dillon, Faulk and Troy Brown back, moving Vrabel into the middle, and adjusting to the many losses we had due to injury across the team, has resulted in a nearly completely different team taking the field this week as compared to week 6.

tk13
01-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I think the matchup everyone is overlooking is Denver's D versus the New England offense. Have we even talked about that in this thread? Everyone just assumes New England is going to score enough points and their defense is going to shut them down. I guess that's a large part of it since it's Shanahan vs. Belichick, but I think the other side of that is important too. But I like the Denver D, that's how we should've been playing all year. Coyer will be bringing the heat I imagine.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I think the matchup everyone is overlooking is Denver's D versus the New England offense. Have we even talked about that in this thread? Everyone just assumes New England is going to score enough points and their defense is going to shut them down. I guess that's a large part of it since it's Shanahan vs. Belichick, but I think the other side of that is important too. Coyer will be bringing the heat I imagine.

I think NE is going to struggle to run the ball. Denver is good at stopping the run, but even if they were mediocre... Dillon isn't playing like he should and Faulk is a good second option, but Denver will focus on shutting them down on the run. Coyer brings some good schemes to the table and you can rest assured that Wilson, Williams and Lynch will be coming in for Brady early and often. I like the way Coyer hides things.

I'm sure Bailey will get torched once or twice while he tries to do too much, thinking his speed will make up for it. And, it will not shock me to see Brady have a 275 yard passing day with 2-3 TDs, but he'll have throw a pick, possibly two in that atmosphere.

The defense and the crowd will be en fuego.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:39 PM
I think the matchup everyone is overlooking is Denver's D versus the New England offense. Have we even talked about that in this thread? Everyone just assumes New England is going to score enough points and their defense is going to shut them down. I guess that's a large part of it since it's Shanahan vs. Belichick, but I think the other side of that is important too. But I like the Denver D, that's how we should've been playing all year. Coyer will be bringing the heat I imagine, .

Yeah, it's an interesting matchup. Pats have had trouble running the ball. Denver has an average run defense (4.0 ypc for the year), so at Denver the Pats probably figure to have trouble running it effectively.

Pass defense is interesting. Denver has the 3rd best in the NFL pass completion percentage against. Meanwhile, on the bare stats they seem to apply little pressure to opposing QBs, as they have the NFL's worse sack to pass attempts ratio. An odd combo.

Patriots, meanwhile, have a prolific passing attack. But as we all know, late in the year, in an opposing stadium, it's hard to generate good offensive rhythm just on the passing game.

Basically, for the Pats, I think what needs to happen is for our run defense to "reduce" the Denver rushing attack to the same mediocrity as our own, and then to outplay them in the passing game.

Amnorix
01-09-2006, 02:41 PM
I think NE is going to struggle to run the ball. Denver is good at stopping the run, but even if they were mediocre... Dillon isn't playing like he should and Faulk is a good second option, but Denver will focus on shutting them down on the run. Coyer brings some good schemes to the table and you can rest assured that Wilson, Williams and Lynch will be coming in for Brady early and often. I like the way Coyer hides things.

I'm sure Bailey will get torched once or twice while he tries to do too much, thinking his speed will make up for it. And, it will not shock me to see Brady have a 275 yard passing day with 2-3 TDs, but he'll have throw a pick, possibly two in that atmosphere.

The defense and the crowd will be en fuego.

Actually, I'd think Denver will ignore the run to stop the pass. If the Pats are to win, it will probably be through the air. I'd imagine that's what Denver is thinking, anyway.

these Pats aren't the '04 Pats with Dillon running like a locomotive. They're more ilke the '01-'03 Pats, with Antowain Smith and more reliance on a shorter passing game.

Mile High Mania
01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Denver's defense leads the league in pass attempts per game with 38.6. They have given up 20 passing TDs (20th overall) and have 20 INTs (6th overall).

The key is that Denver's defense ranks 4th overall in points allowed.

Bring on the Brady Bunch!

tk13
01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, it's an interesting matchup. Pats have had trouble running the ball. Denver has an average run defense (4.0 ypc for the year), so at Denver the Pats probably figure to have trouble running it effectively.

Pass defense is interesting. Denver has the 3rd best in the NFL pass completion percentage against. Meanwhile, on the bare stats they seem to apply little pressure to opposing QBs, as they have the NFL's worse sack to pass attempts ratio. An odd combo.

Patriots, meanwhile, have a prolific passing attack. But as we all know, late in the year, in an opposing stadium, it's hard to generate good offensive rhythm just on the passing game.

Basically, for the Pats, I think what needs to happen is for our run defense to "reduce" the Denver rushing attack to the same mediocrity as our own, and then to outplay them in the passing game.
They get a lot of pressure though. When Coyer has that defense humming, they'll line 6-7 guys up on the line and play like the old Buddy Ryan 46 defenses. You don't know who's coming and who isn't. It's fun to watch.

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2006, 02:46 PM
The coaches in the saturday games represent 1/4 of all super Bowls won....pretty amazing.

Gibbs 3
Shanahan 2
BB 3
MH 1

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Denver's defense leads the league in pass attempts per game with 38.6. They have given up 20 passing TDs (20th overall) and have 20 INTs (6th overall).

Bring on the Brady Bunch!

Our defense also causes the offense to commit more penalties than just about anybody in the league

InChiefsHeaven
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM

The only stat that matters, IMO.

I just don't see anyone beating the Donks in their own house. They are a much more solid team this season, Jake hasn't been his characteristic 3 pics a game self, and the Defense is just awesome. Couple that with the Mile High air and the FACT that nobody thinks they are going to win this game, and I think there is a good chance that the Donks lay some serious wood on the Chowdaheads...

...I'll be out trying to kill a deer and thinking about how Herm is going to save us...

...**** both teams!!
:cuss: