PDA

View Full Version : Tampa bay exodus?

Mr. Laz
01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
i wonder if the Bucs assistants got ticked off because the organization blocked so many promotion interviews?

=========================

Bucs Coaches Are In Demand
By: Scott Reynolds
January 8, 2006 10:34PM EST

-----------------------------------------------------
The contracts of at least nine Tampa Bay Buccaneers coaches expired at the end of the 2005 season, which means general manager Bruce Allen will be extremely busy this month trying to keep the team's coaching staff as intact as possible. However, assistant head coach/defensive line coach Rod Marinelli and defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin are in demand in a couple with a couple of NFL teams and may leave to become defensive coordinators – or in Marinell's case - possibly a head coach. Find out which coaches are free agents and where Marinelli and Tomlin might wind up in this PewterReport.com article.

Copyright 2006 PewterReport.com
-----------------------------------------------------

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have some big-name players who will become unrestricted free agents in 2006, such as nose tackle Chris Hovan, right tackle Kenyatta Walker and kicker Matt Bryant among others. But those free agents aren't the free agents who are occupying the mind of Tampa Bay general manager Bruce Allen right now.

With NFL free agency still roughly too months away, Allen is more concerned with trying to keep his free agent coaches from departing, but that could be difficult. Having already lost assistant defensive backs coach Raheem Morris to Kansas State University where he will be the Wildcats' defensive coordinator, Allen also faces the prospects of seeing several other coaches leave Tampa Bay.

The contracts of defensive line coach and assistant head coach Rod Marinelli, defensive backs coach Mike Tomlin, offensive line coach Bill Muir, wide receivers coach Richard Mann, running backs coach Art Valero, tight ends coach Ron Middleton, special teams coach Richard Bisaccia and assistant defensive coach Joe Woods have all expired, making them unrestricted free agent coaches.

Marinelli, who was hired by defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and head coach Tony Dungy in 1996, and Tomlin appear to be in greatest demand right now.

Tomlin, who signed a one-year deal with the Bucs last January after interviewing for the defensive coordinator job in Miami, has already been linked to Brad Childress' staff in Minnesota, although he has yet to interview, while Marinelli is expected to interview for head coaching vacancies with the St. Louis Rams and the New York Jets, according to a report on NFL Network on Sunday.

“There are a couple of our guys who could get the opportunity (to leave),” Kiffin said. “We could lose some people - no doubt about it. They are very deserving. They should (go). Rod is ready to be a head coach. Rod Marinelli can be a head coach or a coordinator. Mike Tomlin is also ready to step, as is Joe Barry. They could be coordinators. Raheem Morris is 29 years old and we lost him to be the defensive coordinator at Kansas State. This has been a great staff. Monte Kiffin gets too much credit. I hope they get the opportunities because they deserve it.”

Should Marinelli leave Tampa to become a head coach in 2006, one troublesome scenario that could present itself to the Buccaneers would be if he took Tomlin and Woods with him to be his defensive coordinator and linebackers coach, respectively. The Bucs could lose three valuable defensive coaches in one fell swoop.

If Marinelli fails to land a head coaching position, new Kansas City head coach Herman Edwards is looking for a defensive coordinator to run his version of the “Tampa 2” defense and is believed to have some interest in him and/or Tomlin. Edwards, who coached with Marinelli in Tampa Bay from 1996 to 2000, tried to lure Marinelli away from Tampa Bay a few years ago, but his permission to acquire the Bucs defensive line coach for the Jets vacant defensive coordinator position was denied.

Tomlin, who replaced Edwards in Tampa Bay in 2001 and has been a part of two number one-ranked Buccaneers defenses in 2002 and '05, could be an intriguing fit with the Chiefs, as well.

An additional defensive coordinator possibility exists in Chicago if current defensive coordinator Ron Rivera gets hired as a head coach, as has been speculated in the past few weeks. Chicago head coach Lovie Smith was Tampa Bay's linebackers coach from 1996-2000 and is great friends with Marinelli. In fact, Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo, who used to be Tampa Bay's director of player personnel until 2000, tried to bring Marinelli to the Bears to be the team's defensive coordinator two years ago, but were denied permission by the Buccaneers because Marinelli was still under contract.

Re-signing with Tampa Bay also remains a possibility for Marinelli, too, due to the fact that his daughter, Chris, who is married to Bucs linebackers coach Joe Barry, and her family also live in Tampa. Barry, along with senior assistant offensive line coach Aaron Kromer and Kiffin, who signed a lucrative contract extension this past summer, are all under contract with Tampa Bay.

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Monte Kiffin talks about himself in the 3rd person...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Monte Kiffin talks about himself in the 3rd person...

So, he and Bob Dole should get along fine. ;)

shaneo69
01-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I think I read somewhere that Tomlin has already been hired as Vikings DC.

Mr. Laz
01-09-2006, 12:27 PM
I think I read somewhere that Tomlin has already been hired as Vikings DC.

:hmmm: i heard that cottrell was fired as Vikes DC but didn't hear of a replacement yet.

jspchief
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
It looks like like Tampa is going to lose some guys. The price they pay for holding them down in the past.

But I'm not sure KC has a good enough job offer. Would you rather be DC of the Bears or KC? Would you rather be HC or DC? There's a lot greener grass out there than trying to right this ship.

jiveturkey
01-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I think I read somewhere that Tomlin has already been hired as Vikings DC.I think that he's more of a "front runner" at this point.