PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil on the Herm hire

FloridaMan88
01-09-2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/01/09/dick_vermeil_on_head_coach_herman_edwards/

DICK VERMEIL ON HEAD COACH HERMAN EDWARDS
Jan 09, 2006, 2:30:47 PM

Q: How tough is it to hire one friend (Edwards) as the head coach when you recommended somebody from your staff (Al Saunders)?

VERMEIL: “I have no control over who they hire. I made a recommendation and I think he would have been hired here if (President) Carl (Peterson) couldn’t get Herman (Edwards). When Carl had the opportunity to get Herman, he did something he has always wanted to do, have Herman be his head football coach. If he would not have been able to do that and the Jets would not have released him I think Al (Saunders) would have had a heck of a shot at the job. I said when I retired that Carl would do what he thinks is best for the organization. It may not go along with what I think. I think he has made a tremendous decision. I have tremendous respect for Herman.”

Q: Is today kind of a mixed blessing?

VERMEIL: “I talk to Herman every week. I have known him for a long time.”

Q: If Al (Saunders) does not get a head coaching job do you think he can still be the offensive coordinator here?

VERMEIL: “You would have to ask him. I think he could do it. He and Herman are friends. They have worked together.”

Q: How flattering is it to hear how Herman talks about you?

VERMEIL: “I am not a big ego guy. I know how Herman feels about me and he knows how I feel about him. There are no secrets. We talk all of the time. Sometimes you don’t always say it in front of large groups, but I do and have. He does and has. I have tremendous feelings for this young man. He is part of the Vermeil family.”

Q: How is retirement?

VERMEIL: “I have been trying to clean out my office. I did not realize how much stuff I accumulated.”

Q: How much longer do you think you will be around?

VERMEIL: “I will be here for another week and a half or so.”

Q: Are there any coaching candidates out there that you are rooting for to get one of the remaining spots?

VERMEIL: “I would like Al Saunders to get a head coaching job.”

Q: Any feel for where he may go?

VERMEIL: “I know he is still a candidate in Houston and he is being interviewed in Detroit. I don’t know anything more than that.”

Q: What was your reaction when you saw Herman today?

VERMEIL: “There are some things you say to people that you don’t what in the newspaper. It was special. It is like seeing your older son doing something he deserves the right to do. We know he will do it well. Will he please everybody? No, he won’t try to. He will do a helluva job.”

Q: As a new coach somewhere what is it like interviewing the current staff to see if you want to keep them?

VERMEIL: “It is uncomfortable. It is very uncomfortable. You as a head coach know you have some guys in mind that you would like to get if you can. You don’t know many guys on the staff. I have always kept guys off of the staff. I have always found out from people who is doing a good job. Sometimes I knew already. When I went to UCLA as my first major job I hired seven assistants right off of the staff, including Carl Peterson. If I had not done that I would not have been exposed to Terry Donahue, Dick Tomey, Lynn Stiles, Carl Peterson, great football coaches. Great football people. Sometimes you maintain continuity and they teach you what has been going on the last few years. They know the personnel and all of that. They know the strengths and weaknesses. It gives you a real jump. You have to have confidence in your own ability to make those kinds of decisions. I kept people when I came here. I kept Joe Vitt, I kept Bob Karmelowicz and Mike Solari. I sort of like to do that. Plus it takes you off the hook sometimes.”

Q: Would you recommend he keep the entire offensive staff?

VERMEIL: “It would be great, but I don’t think it will happen. Some of these people know other people that are going to be head coaches that have personal connections with like Herman has Tony Dungy. You want to work for them.”

Q: Is (offensive line coach) Mike Solari ready to be an offensive coordinator?

VERMEIL: “He is ready. If Mike did that he would have somebody with him that is involved deeply in the passing game. Mike has really been zeroed in on pass protections and the running game and not so much with pass patterns and the quarterback. Mike Solari is unlimited.”

Q: What struck you by what Herman said today?

VERMEIL: “I know what he thinks. I know what he believes. I know what he says. I have heard him say it before. I have heard him say it to me on the phone. I have heard him say it out having dinner. I know what goes through his mind, what he brings and where his priorities are. He did not say anything today that surprised me. He said it very well and very defined so he could not be misunderstood.”

Q: How closely does he mirror you in your relationship with his players?

VERMEIL: “Very close. First off it is a reflection that he enjoyed his relationship with me that we had when he was a player. He obviously feels that was important to him. When it was important to you as a player you normally bring that on to as being important as a coach.”

Q: What does the term players’ coach mean to you?

VERMEIL: “Number one they know you care. They are more than just a jersey number. They are more than just a position on the roster. They know you are trying to teach them to be better players and better people so they can make a better contribution to the football team. And last long and make more money.”

Q: Do you ever fear that may not play as hard for you?

VERMEIL: “I know this. I have been a protected person of the person I care for the most the hardest. I have always believed that. If you can move the commitment from the head to the heart you have a little better chance. Some people don’t even care. They are not wrong. They are not right. Nobody ever said this is the way you have to do it.”

siberian khatru
01-09-2006, 08:38 PM
VERMEIL: “I would like Al Saunders to get a head coaching job.”
Q: Any feel for where he may go?
VERMEIL: “All I know is what I read from Nick Athan at Warpaint Illustrated. Carol, my wife, bought me a gift subscription for Christmas and I tell ya, it's the best $79.95 we've ever spent, better than that 1996 St. Francis Reserve Zin she gave for my birthday a couple of years ago."

:hmmm:

unlurking
01-09-2006, 08:46 PM

VERMEIL: “He is ready. If Mike did that he would have somebody with him that is involved deeply in the passing game. Mike has really been zeroed in on pass protections and the running game and not so much with pass patterns and the quarterback. Mike Solari is unlimited.”

That's promising.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
01-09-2006, 08:57 PM
That's promising.

Coming from Vermeil........... I am not sure. Remember he thinks McCleon is a great player because he rarely makes mistakes. :shake:

Reaper16
01-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Coming from Vermeil........... I am not sure. Remember he thinks McCleon is a great player because he rarely makes mistakes. :shake:
Technically, if you're never in position to make a play, then you never make mistakes. :banghead:

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:08 PM

This answer makes no sense unless there is another Mike he is talking about to go with Solari. I really think DV does have somewhat of a memory problem at least with names.

milkman
01-09-2006, 09:11 PM
This answer makes no sense unless there is another Mike he is talking about to go with Solari. I really think DV does have somewhat of a memory problem at least with names.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, Jim.

Chan93lx50
01-09-2006, 09:15 PM

He sure does, I wonder how many times he called Trent, Kurt? He used to do that all the time.

Of course he is not a spring chicken anymore!

DTLB58
01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Technically, if you're never in position to make a play, then you never make mistakes. :banghead:

If you're never in position.....isn't THAT a mistake already? :p

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure what you're getting at, Jim.

If Mike did that he would have somebody with him that is involved deeply in the passing game. Assuming this Mike is Solari then who is the person DV is talking about?

Mike has really been zeroed in on pass protections and the running game and not so much with pass patterns and the quarterback. Mike Solari is unlimited How can he be unlimited if he is limited in the area of pass patterns and quarterbacks, that makes no sense. I am convinced DV is thinking and talking of two people and only naming one.

chief52
01-09-2006, 09:20 PM

I stumbled through that quote myself. Does he mean Herman in place of the first Mike?

Reaper16
01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Assuming this Mike is Solari then who is the person DV is talking about?

How can he be unlimited if he is limited in the area of pass patterns and quarterbacks, that makes no sense. I am convinced DV is thinking and talking of two people and only naming one.
I'm thinking that he meant "If Mike [was offensive coordinator] then [Herm]...

milkman
01-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Assuming this Mike is Solari then who is the person DV is talking about?

How can he be unlimited if he is limited in the area of pass patterns and quarterbacks, that makes no sense. I am convinced DV is thinking and talking of two people and only naming one.

I took it to mean that Mike Solari didn't get involved in coordinating the passing game, and that he is not limited in his ability to learn.

Reaper16
01-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Hmmm. I could have meant that Mike would "have to have" someone involved in the passing game with him. Shea, perhaps?

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:31 PM
I stumbled through that quote myself. Does he mean Herman in place of the first Mike?That is kind of what I am guessing but it sure is not definite.

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Hmmm. I could have meant that Mike would "have to have" someone involved in the passing game with him. Shea, perhaps?Leaving out key parts of sentences/thoughts is also something that DV is notorious for, so that is a possibility as well.

jAZ
01-09-2006, 09:35 PM

What does any of this mean? He sounds positive, but I can't tell what he's talking about specifically.

Is he saying Mike would suck as OC right now, unless he brings Shea with him to deal with the passing stuff? Who's the "somebody with him" he's talking about? What does it mean to be "unlimited"? Not being zeroed in with pass patterns and the QB seems like a bad thing to me.

I'm confused.

jAZ
01-09-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm confused.
I should read ahead.

tk13
Our offensive staff each had a role and worked together. Al Saunders and Terry Shea designed the passing attack each week, and Solari, Irv Eatman, James Saxon, etc. came up with the running attack. Then they'd meet and put their gameplan together. Solari really wouldn't have much experience with route running or designing passing plays part of it.

Frankie
How old is Solari?

milkman
01-09-2006, 09:43 PM
How old is Solari?

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Q: Do you ever fear that may not play as hard for you?

VERMEIL: “I know this. I have been a protected person of the person I care for the most the hardest. I have always believed that. If you can move the commitment from the head to the heart you have a little better chance. Some people don’t even care. They are not wrong. They are not right. Nobody ever said this is the way you have to do it.”
Jesus Christ I have no idea what the statement in bold means, but I am guessing it means I know Eric Hicks and Dexter McCleon suck but I was loyal to them anyway.

Mecca
01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
I guess Dick knows that some of the players he liked and protected that weren't very good, are likely to be cut now.

jAZ
01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Our offensive staff each had a role and worked together. Al Saunders and Terry Shea designed the passing attack each week, and Solari, Irv Eatman, James Saxon, etc. came up with the running attack. Then they'd meet and put their gameplan together. Solari really wouldn't have much experience with route running or designing passing plays part of it.
He'd need Terry Shea or Charlie Joiner or someone familar with the passing game. Maybe he's just saying that OC doesn't have to be a passing guy if he surrounds himself with the right passing minds who will game plan that passing game. My concern would be play calling. I'm guessing that's going to be an issue if we want to keep the style of our offense.

I'm pulling for him, but maybe Terry Shea is the guy who needs to be OC. Or even Charlie Joiner.

milkman
01-09-2006, 09:51 PM
He'd need Terry Shea or Charlie Joiner or someone familar with the passing game. Maybe he's just saying that OC doesn't have to be a passing guy if he surrounds himself with the right passing minds who will game plan that passing game. My concern would be play calling. I'm guessing that's going to be an issue if we want to keep the style of our offense.

I'm pulling for him, but maybe Terry Shea is the guy who needs to be OC. Or even Charlie Joiner.

Hell, Jason Veduzco is the only one that got involved in both aspects.

Mecca
01-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Oh, but he should be fired because he's an asshole according to some...... :rolleyes:

milkman
01-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Oh, but he should be fired because he's an asshole according to some...... :rolleyes:

I'm an asshole, so I don't have any prejudice toward assholes.

jAZ
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
He was a QB, and our QB coach last year. He was an OC (all be it at a small college) for 4 years. Huh.

I'm sure they will find someone. And after hearing tk's description of the game planning process, I could see a non-system guy coming in as OC and adapting to the existing system by keeping and using the position coaches to define the game plan.

As with Solari, my concern becomes play calling.

booger
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
I'd agree that DV's statement is Solari could develope on the run but it would be an asset to have someone on the staff with stong knowlege of the passing game as well. Maybe Joiner if he stays. Maybe someone like Steve Fairchild, the OC with the rams, if he would come over to coach WR's or QB's. Not sure about his contract status though. He would probably be a good option to stay on as OC for the next Rams HC.

I also would be shocked to see a situation where someone like Turner would come in and be the QB-ASST. HC. In this situation he would have a good past with trent and have input with the offense, just maybe not as OC. A stretch in most cases but I wouldn't discount it in ours.

Also a real unknown with Solari is his disire to be a OC. I am sure he would take it, but he also seems content with being OL coach. Not sure yet. Kinda like the situation with the tampa DL coach Rod Martianavratalova.

Chan93lx50
01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Was DV decision to retire his or his wife’s?

KcMizzou
01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Was DV decision to retire his or his wife’s?There's been speculation that it was Carl's.

Chan93lx50
01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
There's been speculation that it was Carl's.

I am gettin the vibe he wanted one more season, but hell he does get choked up all the time so it hard to get an emotional read on the guy.

The way he has been answering questions as of late has given me the feeling the guy is depressed! JMHO

Deberg_1990
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM
There's been speculation that it was Carl's.

Too bad Lamar doesnt recommend that to Carl