PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton on Herm's potential coaching staff

FloridaMan88
01-09-2006, 08:49 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2286222&name=clayton_john&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d2286222%26name%3dclay ton_john

Saunders twisting in wind: If Al Saunders leaves the Chiefs after not getting the nod to replace Dick Vermeil, watch for new coach Herman Edwards to try to coax Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger into joining his staff. Heimerdinger will stick around the Jets for a while because he's interviewing for the head coaching job. It's all but a lock that Edwards will keep Gunther Cunningham as the defensive coordinator.

Mecca
01-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I hope Claytons about as accurate on this one as he was on the fact that he didn't think there was any shot Edwards would be our coach.

sedated
01-09-2006, 08:54 PM
he also said Saunders was the front-runner for our HC job.

I pray he's wrong.

Come back, Al. You know KC is home.

nascher
01-09-2006, 09:00 PM
don't think Herm will replace at least some defensive assistants !!! And if AS leaves he will promote somebody like Solari or Shea to OC.

FringeNC
01-09-2006, 09:12 PM
It's all but a lock that Edwards will keep Gunther Cunningham as the defensive coordinator.

:cuss:

DTLB58
01-09-2006, 09:27 PM
I think if Clayton spent more time listening to most Chiefs fans he would have a better idea of what's going on.

He said after the Al interview with Carl that "it went really well" But he never said from whose standpoint. C'mon, we all knew Carl wasn't gonna hire Al. And as soon as the reports were out that Carl wanted Herm we knew that was as good as done. When Carl goes after his man ( :p ) he gets him. He got Marty,Gun,Dick and LJ.

VonneMarie
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2286222&name=clayton_john&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d2286222%26name%3dclay ton_john

Saunders twisting in wind: If Al Saunders leaves the Chiefs after not getting the nod to replace Dick Vermeil, watch for new coach Herman Edwards to try to coax Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger into joining his staff. Heimerdinger will stick around the Jets for a while because he's interviewing for the head coaching job. It's all but a lock that Edwards will keep Gunther Cunningham as the defensive coordinator.
Sigh.

FringeNC
01-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Sigh.

Yeah, so far it sounds like a nighmare: keeping Gunther and gutting our offense for an outdated West Coast scheme. I have to think that neither is probable, but who knows?

jettio
01-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Joe Pisarcik would be a natural fit for Offensive Coordinator

chrisdel
01-09-2006, 09:47 PM
...and the playoff drought continues...

I see nothing changing with Edwards here. Same old mediocrity.

VonneMarie
01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, so far it sounds like a nighmare: keeping Gunther and gutting our offense for an outdated West Coast scheme. I have to think that neither is probable, but who knows?
OMG... OMG! :cuss:

Mecca
01-09-2006, 09:50 PM
...and the playoff drought continues...

I see nothing changing with Edwards here. Same old mediocrity.

I love it, Edwards hasn't named the coaching staff or been the coach for a day. Yet you already know exactly what he will do here, how about you give me the powerball numbers.........

Logical
01-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I am really dissapointed in Clayton this offseason it seems he has converted to the Nick Athan school of Journalism.

milkman
01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I am really dissapointed in Clayton this offseason it seems he has converted to the Nick Athan school of Journalism.

Everyone has gone to that school now.

All we get anymore is rumor and speculation, with nothing to substantiate it.

chrisdel
01-09-2006, 09:55 PM
I love it, Edwards hasn't named the coaching staff or been the coach for a day. Yet you already know exactly what he will do here, how about you give me the powerball numbers.........

15 30 32 41 44 and 18

htismaqe
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
I sincerely hope this is another one of Clayton's BS stories.

I don't want Gunther back.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
15 30 32 41 44 and 18

Thanks. I just finished ordering my new home theater because of your numbers. Thanks again.

booger
01-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Another DC candidate to keep an eye on is Jerry Gray of Buffalo. His whole D staff in Buffalo got the ax. He will learn his fate soon as he had a interview with I believe the Texans. If he gets passed over for that job, which he likely will, he might get canned as well.

Two other coaches from the Bills that were fired could be good hires as well.

Don Blackmon LB coach. Has DC experience as well, would be a good option for our LB's.

Tim Krumrie DL coach. He coached on some poor teams in Cinci through the years but did well with Average DLinemen with the bills.

tommykat
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM

YOU FOOL........what the heck are you thinking/drinking?? I AM SO GLAD WE HAVE GUNN!!!! So BITE ME....Faulker

Deberg_1990
01-09-2006, 10:31 PM
I just cant see Green running anything other than the Norv Turner/Mike Martz/Al Saunders offense. Thats all the guy has ever run. Its like trying to take Joe Montana and Steve Young out of the West Coast offense.

tommykat
01-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I just cant see Green running anything other than the Norv Turner/Mike Martz/Al Saunders offense. Thats all the guy has ever run. Its like trying to take Joe Montana and Steve Young out of the West Coast offense.

I believe I read that the O-line would not change regardless...That works for me. :D

Rausch

Edwards make it pretty ****ing clear he wasn't going to dick around with the offense.

Of course, why listen to the man himself?...

KC Jones
I still think Gun is a fine DC. I realize that we didn't have the turnaround this year that everybody wanted but the defense made solid strides. I wonder how much Gun having to stick with Giunta and other Vermeil/Robinson hires hurt his ability to run his defense. With Herm as head coach I'm fine with Gun sticking around at DC. What I'm worried about is keeping continuity on offense.

Logical
01-09-2006, 10:35 PM
YOU FOOL........what the heck are you thinking/drinking?? I AM SO GLAD WE HAVE GUNN!!!! So BITE ME....FaulkerThere you have it, no arguing with that, chit.

tommykat
01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
There you have it, no arguing with that, chit.

:D

Logical
01-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Edwards make it pretty ****ing clear he wasn't going to dick around with the offense.

Of course, why listen to the man himself?...I am talking about the dissastrous idea of keeping Gun, Clayton is talking about bringing Heimerdinger (sp?) in, I don't see him running our offense.

Rausch
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I am talking about the dissastrous idea of keeping Gun, Clayton is talking about bringing Heimerdinger (sp?) in, I don't see him running our offense.

Clayton is FOS.

I'd say Gun staying is 50/50.

Edwards DID NOT make any comments about keeping anything intact on defense. In fact, he made a point of stating that it was too early to say who he'd keep and he planned to interview everyone himself.

I think you'd have to be nucking futs to think he's going to keep most the defensive staff intact...

chief118
01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
herm just said he is not changing the O so the chiefs will hire someone who will fit our high flying O the best. Clayton dont know what he is talking about. Clayton said herm and the chiefs wasn't going to happen and look what happen. F*** claton

milkman
01-09-2006, 10:53 PM

Of course, why listen to the man himself?...

He also said he was going to be the coach in NY next season.

Rausch
01-09-2006, 10:54 PM
He also said he was going to be the coach in NY next season.

Your dad also told you there was a Santa.

Rotten bastidge, lying to a child for 7 or 8 years... :shake:

Mecca
01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Another DC candidate to keep an eye on is Jerry Gray of Buffalo. His whole D staff in Buffalo got the ax. He will learn his fate soon as he had a interview with I believe the Texans. If he gets passed over for that job, which he likely will, he might get canned as well.

Two other coaches from the Bills that were fired could be good hires as well.

Don Blackmon LB coach. Has DC experience as well, would be a good option for our LB's.

Tim Krumrie DL coach. He coached on some poor teams in Cinci through the years but did well with Average DLinemen with the bills.

Jerry Gray did a horrible job in Buffalo this past year, that's why he got the axe. What he did is basically exactly what Gunther did. He would call an insane number of blitzes that never worked, use a really good man corner in Clements in soft zone, corners constantly lined up 10 yards off.

Why does all of this sounds very very familiar.........

Deberg_1990
01-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I think you'd have to be nucking futs to think he's going to keep most the defensive staff intact...

I sincerly hope that guys like Wesley, Sims, Browning, Hicks, Bartee, Woods, McCleon and Guntia are sweating it out now that their Daddy Vermeil is gone.

Halfcan
01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I sincerly hope that guys like Wesley, Sims, Browning, Hicks, Bartee, Woods, McCleon and Guntia are sweating it out now that their Daddy Vermeil is gone.

Yep time to clean house. You forgot Bell.

milkman
01-09-2006, 11:01 PM

My dad died when I was 4 years old, but his credibility is not the issue.

Hermie's is.

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 11:10 PM
If Cam Cameron gets hired away from SD, don't be surprise to see Marty hooking up with another old colleague - Al Saunders.

AS - might just go to SD to spike CP for passing him up. But if AL does not get hired as a HC, I am confident that Herm has the ability to talk some sense and persuade Al to ride with him to a championship as Chief.

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 11:13 PM

Yep time to clean house. You forgot Bell.Yep time to clean house. You forgot Bell.

I think Browning and Wesley were Gun's guys. Gun had a lot to do with Wesley's drafted that year. I remembered it well - Gun praised the kid back then that he's a pure hitter and loves to put a lick on players.

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
John Clayton is so historic these days. HE's got no more insight.

Has that guys ever played football at any level? Plus he lives in Seattle? WTF, Seattle isn't a place to be if you're into SPORTS...

milkman
01-09-2006, 11:19 PM
John Clayton is so historic these days. HE's got no more insight.

Has that guys ever played football at any level? Plus he lives in Seattle? WTF, Seattle isn't a place to be if you're into SPORTS...

Historic?

Rausch
01-09-2006, 11:19 PM
My dad died when I was 4 years old, but his credibility is not the issue.

Well, that little analogy went straight to the ****ing moon, now didn't it?...

:banghead:

Hermie's is.

During negotiations you have to lie, it's that simple.

As close as DV and Carl are to Herm OF COURSE he was a consideration. I don't doubt for a minute that Herm wanted to come here, but he planned on being the Jets HC until it happened.

Otherwise, you **** yourself out of a job for nothing...

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Historic?

yes. clayton WAS someone who could break some news back in the days.

Lately when watching and reading his stuff, its usually pure rumors or he's reporting stuff that's all over the internet hours ago.

Logical
01-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Clayton is FOS.

Edwards DID NOT make any comments about keeping anything intact on defense. In fact, he made a point of stating that it was too early to say who he'd keep and he planned to interview everyone himself.

Do you suppose there could be any correlation between what you just said, and what I said in post 13?:hmmm:

ChiefsCountry
01-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Hopefully he can Donnie Henderson here as DB's coach and his special teams coach, Mike Westoff.

milkman
01-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Well, that little analogy went straight to the ****ing moon, now didn't it?...

:banghead:

During negotiations you have to lie, it's that simple.

As close as DV and Carl are to Herm OF COURSE he was a consideration. I don't doubt for a minute that Herm wanted to come here, but he planned on being the Jets HC until it happened.

Otherwise, you **** yourself out of a job for nothing...

If those plans, with a contract, can change so easily, I see no reason the plans to leave the offense in tacked(sic) can't change just as easily.

milkman
01-09-2006, 11:47 PM
yes. clayton WAS someone who could break some news back in the days.

Lately when watching and reading his stuff, its usually pure rumors or he's reporting stuff that's all over the internet hours ago.

Patrick Henry was historic.
George Washington was historic.
Teddy Roosevelt was historic.

Somehow, Clayton just doesn't fit into that category.

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Patrick Henry was historic.
George Washington was historic.
Teddy Roosevelt was historic.

Somehow, Clayton just doesn't fit into that category.

Exactly.

Rausch
01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Do you suppose there could be any correlation between what you just said, and what I said in post 13?:hmmm:

Quite a bit.

Why?

Did you copyright "Athan is ****ing clown-shoes" smack?...

Rausch
01-09-2006, 11:52 PM
Exactly.

But he could be Dewey/Truman historic...

Tribal Warfare
01-09-2006, 11:53 PM

If he's on the staff put him back at LB coach, thats the only way he will be retained. I still could use those cyanide capsules held over if Butch Davis was to sign as DC, but it looks like their's use for them if Gun is still cemented in that position.

Johnson&Johnson
01-09-2006, 11:57 PM
If he's on the staff put him back at LB coach, thats the only way he will be retained. I still could use those cyanide capsules held over if Butch Davis was to sign as DC, but it looks like their's use for them if Gun is still cemented in that position.

TW. not sure why I always find to time to read your post regardless.

Your avatar alone deserves my 5 seconds... :clap:

Wile_E_Coyote
01-10-2006, 12:08 AM

on the evening news they showed Mitchell, Gammon & another Chief(don't remember, maybe Green or Kennison) setting together. Then they cut to a shot of Barber standing in the back by himself with his arms crossed

Logical
01-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Quite a bit.

Why?

Did you copyright "Athan is ****ing clown-shoes" smack?...Nah, you just seemed to be arguing with me when I was agreeing with you. I figured that would be the quickest way to point it out.

huskerdooz
01-10-2006, 12:56 AM

Apropos of nothing pertaining to Edwards hire, this reminded me of today when I was remarking to my son that I was going to try and take Thursday night (graveyard shift) off so that I could be better able to help him with a project on Thurs evening and Friday during the day without having to sleep during the day (no school on Friday). I made the mistake in saying that if I couldn't get someone to work for me I would have to call in sick.

His response to this was "So you're going to lie?".

After which I thought to myself, "Damn he got me there". Then I proceeded with my somewhat stammered reply, "Umm, Uhh, Yeah".

What else could I have said?

Simplex3
01-10-2006, 02:29 AM

I want Herm hiring his own coaches. If he wants Gunther, so be it. If he wants Norv, get that f**ker in here. I don't care who he picks. I'm just sick and f**king tired of coaches making excuses. I want a damn playoff win or two and I don't give a f**k who gets hired or fired in the process.

This team is really starting to piss me off. I've actually gotten to the point where LJ is pretty much the only thing of interrest on this team. Sadly, my interrest there is "will he be worth a damn when Shields and Roaf retire".

The Herm move was boring at best. Totally in the comfort zone, a typical Carl move. Herm will sell tickets. Whether or not he can win in the playoffs and take a team all the way is a question, but he'll keep the team good enough and sell tickets.

Hell, I'm going to start watching the Bucs more again. At least they have a young QB showing some promise and a decent young RB, plus a couple of young WRs. There are some interresting developmental stories there. Unlike the Chiefs where you sit around wondering which useless d**kbags can be fired without too much of a salary cap hit.

:cuss: Damnit Lamar!

htismaqe
01-10-2006, 07:31 AM
YOU FOOL........what the heck are you thinking/drinking?? I AM SO GLAD WE HAVE GUNN!!!! So BITE ME....Faulker

I'm so glad we still have a bottom five defense, despite bringing in one of the best CB's in the game and 2 former defensive RoY winners.

I'm so glad we still have a bottom five defense, despite giving Gun each and every player he asked for.

I'm so glad we have a coach that screams profanities, flips of officials, and fights with fans from the booth.

Yeah, I'm so glad.

htismaqe
01-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I want Herm hiring his own coaches. If he wants Gunther, so be it. If he wants Norv, get that f**ker in here. I don't care who he picks. I'm just sick and f**king tired of coaches making excuses. I want a damn playoff win or two and I don't give a f**k who gets hired or fired in the process.

This team is really starting to piss me off. I've actually gotten to the point where LJ is pretty much the only thing of interrest on this team. Sadly, my interrest there is "will he be worth a damn when Shields and Roaf retire".

The Herm move was boring at best. Totally in the comfort zone, a typical Carl move. Herm will sell tickets. Whether or not he can win in the playoffs and take a team all the way is a question, but he'll keep the team good enough and sell tickets.

Hell, I'm going to start watching the Bucs more again. At least they have a young QB showing some promise and a decent young RB, plus a couple of young WRs. There are some interresting developmental stories there. Unlike the Chiefs where you sit around wondering which useless d**kbags can be fired without too much of a salary cap hit.

I want Herm to have full control over the hiring and firing of assistants, too.

I just hope to God he doesn't pick Gunther.

Lurch
01-10-2006, 07:55 AM
I want Herm to have full control over the hiring and firing of assistants, too.

I just hope to God he doesn't pick Gunther.

For your sake, I hope you are a religiously prayerful man. Cause personally, my gut says your are fooked. :D

Chief Henry
01-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Welcome to the club Simplex....I've been so fugging pissed at this team
since we had two receivers stripped of the ball last year after long
pass catches and runs last season. Last season loss to New Orleans
blew my gasket.

I WANT TO SEE RESULTS ON THE :cuss: FOOTBALL FIELD...

jspchief
01-10-2006, 09:21 AM
If those plans, with a contract, can change so easily, I see no reason the plans to leave the offense in tacked(sic) can't change just as easily.I think there's a clear difference in motivation to lie about staying in NY. If he comes out and says he wants out, then the Jets don't work out compensation with KC, it creates a hell of a shit storm for him and the team that he's still coaching.

If you think he's lying about not changing the offense, what is his motivation for wanting to get away from it? It's the best offense in the league, a bumbling idiot would know better than to fug with it.