PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Herm saying the right things

tk13
01-10-2006, 02:47 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13588565.htm

No secret: He’s saying right things
JASON WHITLOCK
Kansas City Star

Monday afternoon at his introductory news conference as head coach of the Chiefs, Herm Edwards hid behind the constitutional rights granted to sports figures by Mark McGwire.

It’s called the 70-home-run amendment, and it states that high-profile sports figures don’t have to talk about their past if it makes them uncomfortable.

“I believe in family, and what happened in New York, it stays in New York,” Edwards said. “If you have any questions about what happened, I am going to tell you right now it stays in the family. I learned a lesson a long time ago what’s in your house stays in your house.

“When you ask questions, please ask about the Kansas City Chiefs, because I am the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, and that is all that matters.”

I’m one of the few sportswriters who support taking the 70th. It’s better to plead the 70th than entertain questions crafted to elicit an answer the inquirer knows you can’t give. Plus, Edwards’ refusal to talk about New York made it easier to focus on Kansas City and avoid getting caught up in a pointless, Big Apple soap opera.

How Herm Edwards ended up the 10th head coach in the history of the Chiefs franchise is quite possibly the most overhyped controversy in the history of New York sports.

There was no betrayal and even less real dishonesty. It was the typical breakup. The Jets had fallen out of love and were hanging on to the relationship solely because they weren’t prepared to start a new one. Edwards bolted to an old-new lover rather than wait to get dumped.

Good for Edwards. There’s nothing worse than hanging on to a relationship that has turned sour simply because you’re afraid of change or afraid of what your friends might think.

No, what’s relevant here is what Edwards has learned from his five-year New York romance and how those lessons will benefit our football franchise. Chiefs football fans have a right to expect a seasoned, skilled lover and a partner willing to be a bit more adventurous.

I went to Monday’s news conference looking for hints that Edwards understands exactly what he’s gotten himself into and exactly what is needed to push the Chiefs to the next level. On the surface, leading the 2006 Chiefs is an ideal situation for a talented, experienced, defensive-minded coach. A look beneath the surface exposes the considerable risks.

Edwards takes over the Chiefs at a time when the ownership is fighting for stadium renovations, when fan frustration with Carl Peterson’s 17-year reign is at its highest, when KC’s high-scoring offense is in decline and when season-ticket sales are continuing to soften.

The whole scenario reminds me of Suge Knight (Peterson) springing Tupac Shakur (Edwards) from Clinton Correctional Facility to save Death Row Records from the defections of Dr. Dre (Schottenheimer) and Snoop Dogg (Vermeil). It’s troublesome.

Suge’s plan worked (for a short time) because Tupac’s dedication, creativity and passion were unmatched in the rap game. Take away the immorality, the tattoos and the thuggery, and I see some Tupac in Herm Edwards. Seriously.

“I promise you this,” Edwards said, “I will give all my heart and my energy to this organization any way I can. That is how I am built. I believe that, and that is what I am going to do. I am excited about this football team and this organization, and I am excited about being back in Kansas City.”

Edwards, known as a conservative offensive coach, will coach differently here than how he did in New York. The Jets had a weak-armed quarterback and a Hall of Fame running back who lacked breakaway speed. Edwards was forced to move the football 4 and 5 yards a play. He was forced to rely totally on his defense.

Edwards will fall somewhere between Schottenheimer and Vermeil as an offensive coach. He talked on Monday about not changing things for the sake of change. He seemed to indicate he has no interest in tinkering with Kansas City’s offense. I hope he realizes he can tinker with the offense without changing it. Kansas City’s offense can better exploit the talents of Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez, KC’s two in-their-prime offensive playmakers.

“It sounds like I’m conservative, but as I keep saying, it’s the players you play with,” Edwards said. “It might look conservative at times, but I’m going to play to players’ strengths.”

Good enough.

Defensively, Edwards certainly said all of the right things. He preached the old football values that you throw to score points, run to win games and play defense to win championships. He talked about defense being an attitude, a mind-set he felt confident he could instill.

Most important, Edwards littered his Monday remarks with comments about the players being held “accountable” and realizing that winning is a product of commitment and sacrifice is evidence of commitment.

Herm Edwards talked about all the right things on Monday.

RedDread
01-10-2006, 02:55 AM
No, what’s relevant here is what Edwards has learned from his five-year New York romance and how those lessons will benefit our football franchise. Chiefs football fans have a right to expect a seasoned, skilled lover and a partner willing to be a bit more adventurous.

Comon Jason talk about something you know...maybe a comparison between Gates and Jack Stack?

Simplex3
01-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Can someone please tell me the time that a brand new coach said the WRONG things in his first press conference?