PDA

View Full Version : Eagles reportedly will let T.O. seek trade offers

B2chiefsfan
01-10-2006, 01:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5234334

The Philadelphia Eagles might decide to allow the agent for wide receiver Terrell Owens to orchestrate a trade to another team, according to a report in The Philadelphia Inquirer.
The newspaper, citing an unnamed league source, said the team, which had been considering releasing Owens, might instead give agent Drew Rosenhaus permission to hunt for a possible T.O. swap. Multiple teams are thought to have interest, including the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New York Jets. Owens infuriated the Eagles during his second season with the team when his attempt to renegotiate his seven-year contract was rejected. He was banished from the team in November by Andy Reid after well-documented run-ins with the veteran head coach, team management — and quarterback Donovan McNabb. Any team willing to trade for T.O. must also be willing to take on the remainder of his Eagles contract or work out a new deal with him. Owens has five seasons left on his current contract, and is due to receive a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $5 million roster bonus on March 1. He is due to earn $770,000 in base salary next season. If Rosenhaus is not able to find another team for Owens, it is thought that the Eagles will release him before the March 1 deadline — when the league begins its new calendar year. Owens received $8.5 million in bonus money after he joined the Eagles in 2004. His relationship with the team, however, turned sour in the off-season because he felt that his $3.25 million in salary was too low based on his caliber of play. T.O. fired agent David Joseph in late March and hired Rosenhaus, a move that triggered months of controversy, and eventually helped lead to his suspension without pay for the final five games. Despite playing in only seven games, Owens still led the Eagles with 763 receiving yards and six touchdown catches.

nascher
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
And nobody will trade something for him. He will be a FA after he is cut before March.

CanadianChief
01-10-2006, 02:13 PM
How about T.O for Priest?

patteeu
01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
And nobody will trade something for him. He will be a FA after he is cut before March.

Somebody might claim him off of waivers so anyone who waits for him to be cut could lose the chance at him. But I suspect you will be right anyway.

Amnorix
01-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Somebody might claim him off of waivers so anyone who waits for him to be cut could lose the chance at him. But I suspect you will be right anyway.

I don't think he hits waivers. He's just cut and immediately becomes a FA, no?

Hoover
01-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I swear to god I think TO will be a Chief in 2006.

One year deal, just the vide I get from Herm

Chiefnj
01-10-2006, 02:26 PM
He's worth a second day pick.

Hoover
01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
yes

Amnorix
01-10-2006, 02:27 PM
He's a turd. I wish to God nobody would pick him up, but I know that won't happen.

I'm figuring that the usual turd-collectors will step up -- Raiders, Donx or Ravens. Or else someone who thinks they're in imminent danger of losing their job. Millen in Detroit or something...

Kylo Ren
01-10-2006, 02:28 PM
We don't want him. No way. I'd rather have Tony the Tiger as our WR than T.O. He's a jackass.

chiefsfaninNC
01-10-2006, 02:29 PM
No way he hits waivers unless it is after June 1. The eagles have the cap hit to consider. Obviously they will accept a trade. I would bet at this point they would accept a 6th or 7th rounder. Something is better than nothing at this point.

Stinger
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Jackass or not I would be interested to see if we could get a incentive laden contract for one year.

The TO situation got ugly when no one stepped up and came to McNabb's defence. No way in the world would that happen in KC. I would say the team, front office, and city would ralley around early in Trent if that happened in KC.

Plus if TO does throw that hissy fit would it really be that big of news if it happened in KC? I can see the media picking it up for a week or so but no saga like you saw in Philidelpha.

JMO ....

jspchief
01-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Jackass or not I would be interested to see if we could get a incentive laden contract for one year.

The TO situation got ugly when no one stepped up and came to McNabb's defense. No way in the world would that happen in KC. I would say the team, front office, and city would ralley around early in Trent if that happened in KC.

Plus if TO does throw that hissy fit would it really be that big of news if it happened in KC? I can see the media picking it up for a week or so but no saga like you saw in Philidelpha.

JMO ....:spock:

DeepSouth
01-10-2006, 02:40 PM
No way he hits waivers unless it is after June 1. The eagles have the cap hit to consider. Obviously they will accept a trade. I would bet at this point they would accept a 6th or 7th rounder. Something is better than nothing at this point.
He's due a $5M bonus on March 1st. You think they'll pay him that just to keep him until June 1st?

nascher
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
No they already mad it clear he is gone this is a last ditch effort to get something but every teams knows that TO is gone anyway.

Mile High Mania
01-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Good lord, is there a team that has a QB that he would actually enjoy playing with and not bitch about all day? I really can't think of one.

He lives in Atlanta... maybe they'll take a flier on him, sure could use a receiver.

Warrior5
01-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Good lord, is there a team that has a QB that he would actually enjoy playing with and not bitch about all day? I really can't think of one.

Plummer.

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2006, 03:36 PM

Favre

mike_b_284
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't understand, wouldn't the eagles have to pay TO anyway. If they didn't wouldn't it be breech of contract? Someone please clarify.

trndobrd
01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I'll bet Drew Rosenhaus' phone is lighting up like the Maytag Repairman's

Amnorix
01-10-2006, 03:56 PM
I don't understand, wouldn't the eagles have to pay TO anyway. If they didn't wouldn't it be breech of contract? Someone please clarify.

errr...wow. :eek:

NFL contracts, unlike major league baseball, are NOT guaranteed. If they cut you, then the player keeps (1) the signing bonus he received when he signed the deal, and (2) whatever salary earned prior to being cut. The player will NOT get any future salary or bonuses that the contract calls for.

This is one of the fundamental reasons that the NFL, unlike the NBA and MLB, aren't full of completely self-centered, spoiled, lazy and utterly worthless jackasses. Not that there aren't some, but the percentage is FAR lower, because if you get cut, you don't get another dime from that club.

King_Chief_Fan
01-10-2006, 04:19 PM
He's a turd. I wish to God nobody would pick him up, but I know that won't happen.

I'm figuring that the usual turd-collectors will step up -- Raiders, Donx or Ravens. Or else someone who thinks they're in imminent danger of losing their job. Millen in Detroit or something...

poetic justice......end up in Baltimore and let Ray Lewis beat the shit out you in pracatice

HMc
01-10-2006, 05:21 PM
errr...wow. :eek:

NFL contracts, unlike major league baseball, are NOT guaranteed. If they cut you, then the player keeps (1) the signing bonus he received when he signed the deal, and (2) whatever salary earned prior to being cut. The player will NOT get any future salary or bonuses that the contract calls for.

This is one of the fundamental reasons that the NFL, unlike the NBA and MLB, aren't full of completely self-centered, spoiled, lazy and utterly worthless jackasses. Not that there aren't some, but the percentage is FAR lower, because if you get cut, you don't get another dime from that club.

I wouldn't be surprised that people don't naturally understand the structure of NFL contracts. It's hardly intuitive that the agreements are binding on one party but not another.

C-Mac
01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
He's a turd. I'm figuring that the usual turd-collectors will step up -- Raiders, Donx or Ravens....

ROFL

mike_b_284
01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
excuse my ignorance

so the team can fire the player but the player can't quit? And if he does, then what happens. Is that why ricky williams would have had to pay the dolphins back all that money they gave him?

chefsos
01-10-2006, 06:59 PM
excuse my ignorance

so the team can fire the player but the player can't quit? And if he does, then what happens. Is that why ricky williams would have had to pay the dolphins back all that money they gave him?

Right. You're not as ignorant as you thought you were. That's the NFL. It's why the signing bonus is important to the player; he keeps that if he's cut.

And getting the prorated bonus money back from someone like Ricky who voluntarily retires, is more about the team taking that amount off the salary cap money spent, than the actual dollars involved. I guess.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-10-2006, 07:01 PM
How about T.O for Priest?

that is the most disrespectful thing i have ever heard.

Halfcan
01-10-2006, 08:55 PM
I posted the TO question a while back, but my best guess would be

1. Atlanta-because of Vick
2. Faders-because they love azzholes like TO
3. Miami-the beach and high rollers down there
4. Giants-cause they got spanked in the Playoffs
5. Chiefs-because he would take us to the SB

How could he mouth off to Trent-the coolest guy in the league? Waters and Roaf would beat the living f#ck out of TO if he did. Jeez he could spread out the defenses, then let LJ run up the middle.

FRCDFED
01-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Having a WR that could run after the catch like TO would make the offense unstoppable and make Trent all-world. For those doubters out there compare McNabbs stats before-during-and after TO was on the field. McNabb is mediocre without TO. His TD-Int ratio is worlds apart!! You would be blind to say otherwise.

Frazod
01-10-2006, 09:06 PM
As much as I detest this asshat, just imagine what this offense could do with a REAL deep threat WR.

If we could sign him to a one-year deal.... he'd be auditioning for a long-term deal and would likely be on his best behavior....

But it'll never happen, so I'm not going to worry about it.

patteeu
01-11-2006, 07:24 AM

OK, I stand corrected.

Warrior5
01-11-2006, 07:33 AM
How could he mouth off to Trent-the coolest guy in the league? Waters and Roaf would beat the living f#ck out of TO if he did.

ROFL

Would love to see the contract language in Roaf's, Waters', and TO's contracts that would allow this.

patteeu
01-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Yesterday afternoon, Carl was interviewed on 610 AM here in KC. The drive-time hosts of that show had been debating whether or not the Chiefs should go after TO earlier in the show so the last question they asked him was whether or not there would be any interest. His unequivocal response was that he would have absolutely no interest in signing TO because of the manner in with TO had gone after his head coach and his WR publicly. When Andre Rison was mentioned as a "problem child" who had worked out well for the Chiefs in 1997, Carl's answer was that Andre Rison's problems didn't have anything to do with his relationship with his teammates or coaches and that seemed to make all the difference in the world to Carl. I think any thoughts of TO coming to KC can safely be abandoned at this point.