PDA

View Full Version : What made you become a Chiefs fan?

luv
01-10-2006, 02:29 PM
What made you become a Chiefs fan? Poll forthcoming...

I am a nerd. I admit it. I love writing. Lately, I haven't been writing as much. I usually write a poem here and there, or maybe try my hand at a short story or skit or something. I've decided to do a research type of paper. No, I'm not in school. No, I don't work for a newpaper/magazine (or research firm ;) ). I am just doing it to do it. As part of my effort, I am just curious to hear what made you a Chiefs fan. Stories are definitely welcome. They will help me out, plus I know I will enjoy reading them. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

nychief
01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
two words: Herman Heard.

siberian khatru
01-10-2006, 02:31 PM
The fact that Herman Edwards was not their coach.

Now that he is, I'm despondent, bitter, angry and in denial.

morphius
01-10-2006, 02:32 PM
proximity most likely.

chiefsfaninNC
I love to be tortured.

Rausch
two words: Herman Heard.

Christian Okoye...

ChiefsFan4Life
01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I was born here in the US pretty much right after my parents immigrated here from Egypt. I grew up in Kansas and for whatever reason at a young age became enamored with the sport of football and watching the Chiefs.

My dad didn't really understand football coming from Egypt but he used to watch it with me and we both fell in love with the Chiefs and have been following ever since.

nychief
01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
two more words: Carlos Carson.

jspchief
01-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Carl Peterson

Katipan
I grew up in Los Angeles where the Raiders logo and clothing was banned from every school I ever attended. My father and society taught me to hate them from almost birth. :P We'd cheer for the Chiefs out of spite.

The rest is all my husband's fault. 6? 7? years ago...
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2715322#post2715322

Hammock Parties
I can only reach orgasm when I'm bashing Germ Edwards.

B2chiefsfan
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
My Daddy is a Chiefs Fan.........

MOhillbilly
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
i asked myself. WWJD?

Lbedrock1
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Born and raise on the streets of KC.

journeyscarab
01-10-2006, 02:38 PM
What made me become a Chiefs fan?

Moving to Kansas City in 1998. I was not much of a football fan before I came here from Wichita and was sucked in by the excitement of the Red Wave that rolls over Kansas City during football season.

MVChiefFan
01-10-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm a second generation Chiefs fan. My dad is die hard and always has been. He says I would watch a WHOLE game with him when I was just two years old. I'm 30 now and I still travel an hour and a half every sunday to watch the game with him. I guess I always will. I suppose when/if they win the Super Bowl we will hug each other and cry and it will be a huge embarassment for all involved. :shake:

REDHOTGTO
01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
my dad used to get tickets from a trucking company and we would get to sit in the club section, out of the weather and with plenty of food!
i can remember watching joe namath play in the first years of the stadium being there. i wish i could afford those club seats now, my ticks are 3rd level, but im still going! :p

Sybil
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Chuck Norris.

CaptainMorgan
01-10-2006, 02:48 PM
the groupies...

Carlota69
01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
When I lived in Fresno CA, I became friends with Stephan Paige, and since I had no love for the LA Rams, the Raiders, or the Chargers, I became a fan of the Chiefs. This was back in 1991.

Baby Lee
01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
I didn't get into the Chiefs until HS. I was an inveterate soccer rat growing up. Played every second I could find a patch of land and either some opponents or a wall to kick against. Sports in KC was the Royals, . . George, Frank, UL, Willy 'faster than the ball' Wilson, big-azz Balboni, etc.
Probably the first thing I remember popping out at me was the play of Dino Hackett. Then along came Marty, DT, Neil, Deberg and Okoye in short order and my fandom was cemented.

Oh, and Pete 'Swede' Koch was too cool for school. Too bad he wasn't much of a FB player.

chiefsfaninNC
01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
When I lived in Fresno CA, I became friends with Stephan Paige, and since I had no love for the LA Rams, the Raiders, or the Chargers, I became a fan of the Chiefs. This was back in 1991.

Isn't that Jimmy's brother?

HemiEd
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
From Wichita Kansas, I was in the Navy overseas when they won SBIV. It was something to brag about to the other guys, like all military men did. Most of them replied that they did not give a shit about the super bowl. I have been on the bandwagon since.

Baby Lee
01-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Isn't that Jimmy's brother?
No, and no relation to Stephone, either. ;)

ceebz
01-10-2006, 02:55 PM
What made me a Chiefs fan?

Growing up in Denver had a lot to do with it. Realizing what morons donkey fans were, I knew I could never root for the home team.

That and Deron Cherry.

tomahawk kid
01-10-2006, 02:57 PM
My dad followed the Chiefs somewhat casually as I was growing up.

I developed an interest in the NFL in about '89-'90 and latched on the Chiefs due to my dad's interest.

Then came the Monday night trouncing of the Bills in 1991. That's where my love affair with this team really started.

I've been hooked ever since.

Baby Lee
01-10-2006, 02:59 PM
BTW - the poll is flawed. The player that started my interest in the Chiefs [Hackett] isn't my all-time fave [DT].

KCJake
01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
In 92/93, the 49ers traded me and Joe Montana to the Chiefs. I've been here ever since.

Nick Athan
01-10-2006, 03:02 PM

If you where really friends with him, you would have at least spelt his name correctly.

Sybil
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
i asked myself. WWJD?Did you hear the one about Mike Shannahan dying and going to heaven?

St. Peter meets him at the pearly gates, St. Peters wearing a Patriot jacket. Mike says, "Wow. Football fans in heaven too." St. Peter says, "Yeah, just like on earth. Follow me Mike, and I'll take you to your house." As they are walking down a street Mike notices a nice little Cape Cod style place trimmed and decorated in Oakland Raider colors. Mike asks, "Say, Peter who lives there?" St. Peter replies, "Oh there? That' Rich Gannon's place." A couple of more blocks down the street, he notices a nice large Southern style house with columns in front, trimmed and decorated in Bronco colors. Mike says, "Let me guess. Elway?" St. Peter responds, "Yup." After a couple of more blocks, he noticeds a huge castle off in the distance atop a huge mountain, completely trimmed and decorated in Chiefs colors." Mike says, "Wow. Is that Lenny Dawson's place? He must have done pretty well to deserve that." St. Peter says, "Dawson? Nah. That's God's house."

nychief
01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
two more words: Ed Hartwell.

I saw him during his tour of kansas city last year, and he told me he was going to sign with the chiefs, ever since then I have been a chiefs fan.

KCChiefsMan
01-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I was never really into sports until I was about 13 or so, I had just moved to Kansas and Joe Montana was traded to the Chiefs, then I started becoming a die hard fan. Joe Montana is probably what did it for me

penchief
01-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Christmas Day, 1971. I was a 10 year old having Christmas dinner at my grandmother's house. All of my uncle's were watching the game screaming and hollering. I went in to see what all of the excitement was about. I sat and watched the last half of the game with them. They were all rooting for the dolphins so naturally I decided I wanted the Chiefs to win.

I became a Chiefs fan and a football fan in the same day.

|Zach|
01-10-2006, 03:17 PM
How I was raised...I was actually at the last 2 Chiefs playoff wins. Not bad for a 22 year old.

*sigh*

chefsos
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I was just getting into watching sports when I was 12, and by chance caught the end of a Chiefs-Raiders game on TV at Municipal Stadium on a Sunday evening in 1971. Lenny drove 'em down the field late, and Stenerud won it.

The Eagles, Colts, and Redskins were the logical local choices around here, but that game hooked me.

Chief Faithful
01-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Grandpa would take me to the games in old municipal. Grown men playing tackle in the mud is good stuff to a kid.

Phobia
01-10-2006, 03:27 PM
When I was a very young man, I enjoyed wearing a costume for Halloween. We didn't have money for one of those high dollar Casper the Friendly Ghost or Batman costumes. I was always the kid dressed like a damned hobo. Mom wouldn't make me bathe for a couple weeks but this fact doesn't really have anything to do with my choice of halloween costume.

I'd go outside and retrieve a stick - then I'd pack my toy inside a white handkerchief borrowed from my old man. We didn't even have enough money to buy a red or blue paisley handkerchief so I could look like a legitimate hobo. A lot of people mistook me for a damned Frenchie walking around with a white hanky on a stick. They'd kick me and spit in my face. I don't know how many popcorn balls with razor blades I ate before I finally gave up trick or treating for good.... last year.

The point of this story is that I became a Chiefs fan because those damned popcorn balls were from a Raider fan. From that day forward I put baseballs through his windows, bullied his son, humped his daughter (in the butt), and became a Chiefs fan. When the Chiefs finally win the SuperBowl we'll be even. Dammit Carl!

CanadianChief
01-10-2006, 03:29 PM
The color of the jersey really compliments my blood shot eyes!!!

Rausch
01-10-2006, 03:31 PM
The point of this story is that I became a Chiefs fan because those damned popcorn balls were from a Raider fan. From that day forward I put baseballs through his windows, bullied his son, humped his daughter (in the butt), and became a Chiefs fan. When the Chiefs finally win the SuperBowl we'll be even. Dammit Carl!

Only he got the last laugh 'cause you married her... ROFL

jiveturkey
01-10-2006, 03:33 PM
I have a mullet and I drive a Camaro, was there another team accepting of my way of life that I am not aware of? It was Chiefs or hockey.

Rausch
01-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I have a mullet and I drive a Camaro, was there another team accepting of my way of life that I am not aware of? It was Chiefs or hockey.

Do you have a goatee?

:hmmm:

Rain Man
01-10-2006, 03:35 PM
I became a fan because I like associating myself with a winner.

jiveturkey
01-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Do you have a goatee?

:hmmm:I forgot about that rule. I'll get to work on that right now.

Rausch
01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
I forgot about that rule. I'll get to work on that right now.

It's not a must.

I decided to go with a handlebar mustache.

Dole is growing an eye-beard...

jiveturkey
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
It's not a must.

I decided to go with a handlebar mustache.

Dole is growing an eye-beard...That is excellent news. This means that my pork chop side burns qualify.

kcfanXIII
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I grew up in Los Angeles where the Raiders logo and clothing was banned from every school I ever attended. My father and society taught me to hate them from almost birth. :P We'd cheer for the Chiefs out of spite.

The rest is all my husband's fault. 6? 7? years ago...
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2715322#post2715322
you're husband is lucky.
anyways, i grew up here, and started watching in 1990, i can remember the steve deberg pinky in a cast shirts, and christian okoye, and losing to miami in the playoffs that year. i don't think i've ever forgiven miami for that, and still to this day take a little more pleasure in a win over the 'fins, even though they suck bawls now

Rausch
01-10-2006, 03:40 PM
That is excellent news. This means that my pork chop side burns qualify.

Hey, if it's good enough for FDE... :)

Carlota69
01-10-2006, 03:45 PM
If you where really friends with him, you would have at least spelt his name correctly.

Oops, you're right. I did spell his name wrong. Oh well Nick, you should know what that's like, right? Getting something wrong?

ChiefsCountry
01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Lets see my family had season tickets through the Dark Ages, 50 yard line plus they had yearly visit to the Gold Suite with Lamar Hunt and Co. Couldn't get rid of the damn things. So they quit buying advertising with the Chiefs, the year was 1989. And everyone knows what happened after that. Of course I was too young at the time, I wish we had those now.

But back to being a Chiefs fan. Family and demographics would do it. Actually I was more of a Royals fan, they were the team for me, until the strike, then the Chiefs took over as #1.

jiveturkey
01-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Oops, you're right. I did spell his name wrong. Oh well Nick, you should know what that's like, right? Getting something wrong?Boo Yaa!

Saulbadguy
01-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Demographics & my dad.

kcfanXIII
01-10-2006, 03:49 PM
sounds more like a bronco fan

jiveturkey
01-10-2006, 03:52 PM
sounds more like a bronco fanIt's an old joke. It will probably be funny to you in the future.

Stay tuned.

kcfanXIII
01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
ok, but i wanna know now.

JBucc
01-10-2006, 03:57 PM
My dad is a Chiefs fan

MOhillbilly
01-10-2006, 04:00 PM
I was born in KC,my family is from the KC area, it was a no brainer.

acasas4
01-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Born and raised in KC. My dad was and still is a rabid Chiefs fan. We've been watching the games together for about eleventymillion years now. Die hards.

wolfpack0735
01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
my dad and mom. they were fans when they were the texans. i remember,and its getting harder everyear,going to municipal stadium and watching lenny and the boys. when my sons were born and i bought them home from the hospital,there was a football with a chiefs emblem on it in their crib.so being a chief fan has been passed down.

Skip Towne
01-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a thread identical to this one. Go into my profile for more input for your story. I was a Cowboys fan when the Chiefs moved to KC. Then I liked them both till Jerry Jones showed up. I hate that bastard so now I'm just a Chiefs fan.

PastorMikH
01-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I got started following the Chiefs thanks to a friend in College back in the late 80s - just happened to be Marty's first year. Followed them ever since. Growing up, my mom wouldn't have anything to do with sports, when I moved in with my dad, we followed the Cardinals Baseball team and MU sprots. Until College, I really didn't even follow Pro Football outside of playoffs and the Superbowl.

Frosty
01-10-2006, 04:06 PM
My story is too lame to ever be told.

sd4chiefs
01-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I became a Chiefs fan on January 15th 1967.

mike_b_284
01-10-2006, 04:14 PM
because we got soul baby!

kc rush
01-10-2006, 04:22 PM
I grew up here, so the Chiefs are my team.

Defensive tackle Dino Mangiero was married to the sister of one of my classmates. He came to our classroom (probably in ’81 or ’82) and talked about football and planning for life after football. He also took us on a personal tour of Arrowhead. That is when my interest in the team started.

el borracho
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Marty Schottenheimer, all the big running backs and an ass-kicking defense made me a Chiefs fan (cerca 1990).

luv
01-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I've enjoyed reading through the posts. It would seem that demographics is the most dominant reason as to why people have become Chiefs fans. I wonder if that has to do with surroundings. More items are readily available. You hear more about what goes on with local teams. I wonder, if the Chiefs were to move somewhere else, and a new team ended up coming to KC, if people would remain Chiefs fans. Or would they become fans of the new team?

Crush
01-11-2006, 01:10 AM
During the Oilers-Chiefs playoff game in '93.

Crush
01-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Specifically when Keith Cash threw the ball at and spit on a giant poster of Buddy Ryan.

Dunit35
01-11-2006, 01:13 AM
My grandpa lives in Independence, so I travel there a lot.
My dad grew up in KC.
I love the Kansas City and the surrounding cities.
My dad has been a fan since the 60's.
I grew up watching them.
Anything my dad enjoyed when I was younger, I did.

greg63
01-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Alas; I was born into it.

Bugeater
01-11-2006, 01:15 AM
The smell of Arrowhead's parking lot.

J Diddy
01-11-2006, 01:16 AM
The first game I ever saw with the chiefs in it was DT's record game against the seahawks. It crushed me when Krieg got away from him. I have been following ever since.

Johnson&Johnson
01-11-2006, 01:20 AM
i went to cmsu 1989. and then i met DT58.

wasi
01-11-2006, 01:34 AM
I grew up near Vancouver, Canada when the Seahawks still played in the AFCWest. The region would get the division and I became a fan watching DT, Okoye, DeBerg.

chief118
01-11-2006, 01:39 AM
I became a Chiefs fan on christmas. My step dads friend got me a Chiefs helmet for christmas and then I started to watch the games and became a Die Hard Fan. That was in 1986. Not one regret. I love being a CHIEFS FAN!!!

|Zach|
01-11-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't quite remember the first game I went to...hmm.

picasso
01-11-2006, 01:47 AM
I used to collect footbal cards when I was around 5 years old. My next door neighbor used to be a Bills fan in the days of OJ and I was an avid collector of Bradshaw, Swan, Franco, Blount, Green all of the Steelers I could find. I had watched many games with my Dad. He didn't have a favorite team as much as he had admiration for players such as Brown, Sayers, etc.. My Dad used to play in HS and had an opportunity to enter the pros (wearing leather helmets) but Dad went to coaching instead. Not just football but basketball to. I can't remember the first time we watched a Chiefs game together but their were many. And afterwards he would always teach me the fundamentals and rules of the game in the front yard on a cold winter day. When I went to my first game I was 8 years old and I think I spent more time watching the cheerleaders than the game but it was magical to me setting there with my Steeler cards in my pocket. I started collecting Chiefs cards after that.

Halfcan
01-11-2006, 01:52 AM
What made you become a Chiefs fan? Poll forthcoming...

I am a nerd. I admit it. I love writing. Lately, I haven't been writing as much. I usually write a poem here and there, or maybe try my hand at a short story or skit or something. I've decided to do a research type of paper. No, I'm not in school. No, I don't work for a newpaper/magazine (or research firm ;) ). I am just doing it to do it. As part of my effort, I am just curious to hear what made you a Chiefs fan. Stories are definitely welcome. They will help me out, plus I know I will enjoy reading them. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Definately, our hot cheerleaders and the great teams of the 70's and 80's.

Actually KC Wolf.