PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: WHB/Chiefs feud heats up

tk13
01-11-2006, 02:20 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13596358.htm

Another feud brewing over radio rights at Arrowhead
JEFFREY FLANAGAN
Kansas City Star

That dirty little war between the Chiefs and WHB (810 AM) seems to be escalating.

The latest? WHB carried Monday’s Herm Edwards news conference from Arrowhead Stadium live when only KCFX (101.1 FM), the Chiefs’ radio rights holder, had the exclusive radio rights to do so.

Chiefs public relations director Bob Moore said he learned of the situation Monday afternoon. Asked if there would be any legal repercussions, Moore said, “It’s in the hands of other people right now.

“The bottom line is that KCFX is our rights holder and has the right of first refusal to carry these things exclusively, and KCFX exercised that right (Monday). We have an obligation to protect our rights holder.”

Gary Coleman, manager of the Chiefs Radio Network, said the network decided Monday morning to carry the Edwards news conference that afternoon and therefore contacted both WHB and KCSP (610 AM) to inform them not to broadcast the news conference live.

Coleman said he was driving in his car Monday afternoon when he switched on WHB and heard the Edwards news conference live.

“I would say my reaction was complete surprise, to say the least,” Coleman said. “At first I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“We’ve had this exclusive rights deal in our contract with the Chiefs for 16 years. It’s something we pay for.”

But WHB used the audio feed of the news conference through an arrangement with Channel 41, which carried a portion live on television. There are no exclusive television rights for news conferences at Arrowhead.

“We have a financial agreement with Channel 41 that allows us to simulcast any breaking news they broadcast,” said WHB’s Kevin Kietzman. “This news conference was breaking news.”

Whether this approach by WHB is a loophole in the exclusive radio rights agreement is up for debate.

“All I know is they (WHB) are a radio station, and we have exclusive radio rights,” Coleman said.

The issue of radio rights for carrying news conferences live became heated in late November when WHB, which had been running Dick Vermeil’s weekly news conferences live, received a letter from the Chiefs informing the station to cease doing so.

Also in the fall, the Chiefs and the Chiefs Radio Network struck a deal with KCSP so that KCSP could carry Vermeil’s weekly news conference live in the event that KCFX chose not to.

“But for this occasion on Monday, for the introduction of a new coach, we decided to carry it (on KCFX),” Coleman said. “That’s our right. We asked the other stations in town to comply, and they did, except (WHB).”

One of the more interesting quotes from the Edwards news conference Monday came from Herm when he seemed to voice his objection to journalists using unnamed sources.

“I just tell the truth,” Edwards said. “I always say if you write something just put your name on it. Just say it was me. Don’t say the source. Who was the source? Herman Edwards? Just put your name on it.”

Hmmm.

Wonder if the anonymous Rufus Dawes heard that one?

There’s another reason that Edwards and his wife, Lia, seemed so happy to be back in Kansas City.

They met here.

Well, actually, they met on an airplane on their way to San Francisco (they also were on the same return flight). Both were going home for the holidays in 1994. He was the defensive backs coach with the Chiefs, she was working for the NCAA.

They eventually married in 2000.

How did Herm propose?

“I came home one evening and just asked her in the dining room,” he told the New York Post last year. “The hard part was going to ask her father.”

Herm and Lia both have been active in charity foundations, especially the American Diabetes Association. Lia was diagnosed diabetic in her late 20s.

Halfcan
01-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Met on a plane huh? I wonder if Herm is in the mile high club?

|Zach|
01-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Met on a plane huh? I wonder if Herm can beat the mile high club?
I hope so.

Halfcan
01-11-2006, 02:31 AM
I hope so.

We are going to kick their asses this year. Get out the brooms-I see a sweep coming.

jAZ
01-11-2006, 02:56 AM
If anyone listened to 810am shortly after the press conference, you'd probably agree that (rather inadvertantly I think) the thread title is misleading.

The fued in this case is almost certainly only between 810 and 101.

KK was actually very excited about Herm and saying lots of very good things about the Chiefs and Carl Peterson.

The guy who had been on-site for the press conference (don't know his name) brought back audio interviews from the post press conference gaggle.

This 810 guy had quite a pleasant, candid and lengthy interview with Carl Peterson.

I was suprised and KK also seemed pleasantly suprised as well.

I didn't sense ANY feud at all at that time.

beavis
01-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Does anyone remember when journalists just reported the news instead of making it? I'm really sick off all this WHB vs the Chiefs bullshit.

htismaqe
01-11-2006, 06:54 AM
If anyone listened to 810am shortly after the press conference, you'd probably agree that (rather inadvertantly I think) the thread title is misleading.

KK was actually very excited about Herm and saying lots of very good things about the Chiefs and Carl Peterson.

The guy who had been on-site for the press conference (don't know his name) brought back audio interviews from the post press conference gaggle.

This 810 guy had quite a pleasant, candid and lengthy interview with Carl Peterson.

Yep.

The feud is between the Chiefs Radio Network and 810. The Chiefs are caught in the middle.

patteeu
01-11-2006, 07:57 AM

Yep.

The feud is between the Chiefs Radio Network and 810. The Chiefs are caught in the middle.

I don't agree. Certainly the legal issue is between CRN and 810, but Kevin Keitzman hates Carl Peterson and rarely overcomes that hatred to say positive things about the man (despite the fact that he apparently did on this occasion). Todd Leabo, the guy who I presume is the one who brought back the audio, is much more fair when it comes to issues involving Peterson and he has a very pleasant demeanor all the time. But KK is part of the station's ownership group so I think it's fair to say the station is feuding with the Chiefs.

Dartgod
01-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Gary Coleman, manager of the Chiefs Radio Network, said the network decided Monday morning to carry the Edwards news conference that afternoon and therefore contacted both WHB and KCSP (610 AM) to inform them not to broadcast the news conference live.

Coleman said he was driving in his car Monday afternoon when he switched on WHB and heard the Edwards news conference live.

“I would say my reaction was complete surprise, to say the least,” Coleman said. “At first I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.
Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.declicmag.com/html/28/file/f10.jpg

htismaqe
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't agree. Certainly the legal issue is between CRN and 810, but Kevin Keitzman hates Carl Peterson and rarely overcomes that hatred to say positive things about the man (despite the fact that he apparently did on this occasion). Todd Leabo, the guy who I presume is the one who brought back the audio, is much more fair when it comes to issues involving Peterson and he has a very pleasant demeanor all the time. But KK is part of the station's ownership group so I think it's fair to say the station is feuding with the Chiefs.

The station may THINK they're feuding with the Chiefs.

That wouldn't make them right.

redfan
01-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Gotta read them contracts. Prolly no stipulation regarding a simulcast of a TV broadcast. Oopsie!
Props to 810 for finding the loophole!

Eleazar
01-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Well, it sounds like a one shot deal.

Good luck convincing channel 41 to televise all the press conferences, Keitzman.

Bob Dole
01-11-2006, 10:09 AM
The whole thing is stupid.

Is a broadcast with a 10 second delay considered to be "live"? 30 seconds? 2 minutes?

Bob Dole is with beavis on this one.

(Good lord...does that make Bob Dole Butthead?)

jAZ
01-11-2006, 10:21 AM
I can't say for certain what goes on between KK, CP, 810 and the Chiefs. My most recent indication is that CP (who at one time refused to be interviewed on 810) was in fact interviewed by Lebo (thanks, you were correct). And the interview was a very good one. That combined with KK's fairly glowing comments suggested (though I don't know) that things seemed to be square between the men and groups.

That said, this article is (again inadvertantly) mis assigning the feud in this case. It is between 810 and 101 (and maybe CRN).

Mr. Laz
01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Yep.

BS

Eleazar
01-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I can't say for certain what goes on between KK, CP, 810 and the Chiefs. My most recent indication is that CP (who at one time refused to be interviewed on 810) was in fact interviewed by Lebo (thanks, you were correct). And the interview was a very good one. That combined with KK's fairly glowing comments suggested (though I don't know) that things seemed to be square between the men and groups.

Carl was on Whitlock's show once too, and I think it's safe to say there is still some animosity between the two.

HC_Chief
01-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Gotta read them contracts. Prolly no stipulation regarding a simulcast of a TV broadcast. Oopsie!
Props to 810 for finding the loophole!

That's what I thought as well, when reading the article.

That, and Bob Moore is an uberschmuck.

FAX
01-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a question.

I sometimes listen to 810 via the web (I have to use the Internet due to my location), but the strident views of Kleitsman (sp?) are becomming wearisome. Are there any other daily, local, radio sports talk shows that discuss the Chiefs available via Internet stream other than 810?

FAX

patteeu
01-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a question.

I sometimes listen to 810 via the web (I have to use the Internet due to my location), but the strident views of Kleitsman (sp?) are becomming wearisome. Are there any other daily, local, radio sports talk shows that discuss the Chiefs available via Internet stream other than 810?

FAX

No.

But if you can listen from 11a-2p (central) you can listen to Soren Petro on 810. His personality is different than Keitzman's so you might find it more enjoyable. He also doesn't have the grudge against Carl Peterson that KK holds (KK believes, probably accurately, that Carl Peterson tried to get him fired from a local TV station a long time ago). Additionally, you won't have to hear about the host's personal golfing experiences or incessant K-State homerism.

DTLB58
01-11-2006, 06:30 PM
No.

But if you can listen from 11a-2p (central) you can listen to Soren Petro on 810. His personality is different than Keitzman's so you might find it more enjoyable. He also doesn't have the grudge against Carl Peterson that KK holds (KK believes, probably accurately, that Carl Peterson tried to get him fired from a local TV station a long time ago). Additionally, you won't have to hear about the host's personal golfing experiences or incessant K-State homerism.

My thoughts exactly. :clap:

DomerNKC
01-11-2006, 06:33 PM
no wonder he has a problem with the chiefs...they dont wear purple and have a real schedule.

Halfcan
01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
This fued is out of control, Whitlock just did a drive by at Carls house. He didn't shoot a gun or anything-just ate everything out of his fridge and cabinets.

"You been Whitlocked Sucka"

HC_Chief
01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
No.

Plus Petro actually has a clue. KK is a pompous bloviating ass.

ChiefsFire
01-11-2006, 06:53 PM
i dont really care where the news conference is...I hate 610,but i did flip over long enough to catch DVs pressers...Im guessing theres alot of people doing that and what good does that do 610?they arent playing any commercials during the press conference...when its over i flip back to 810 big deal