PDA

View Full Version : Life Walt Disney World

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

JD10367
12-08-2019, 03:52 AM
I’m currently lying in bed in Animal Kingdom Lodge. I rode “Rise of the Resistance” earlier tonight. Holy ****balls. Isn’t Claynus a Star Wars fan? If he ever rides it he’ll probably ejaculate himself to death. It’s less a ride and more like being in a movie. The most ambitious, intricate, and involved ride I’ve ever been on.

Mr. Plow
05-18-2021, 01:46 PM
Boom. Almost a 2 year bump on a 15 year old thread.

Going to be in Orlando for a couple days next month and thinking about spending one day at a park. Wanting to do something different from Disney. We've never been to Universal Studios and was hoping to get some input from those of you that have.

I'm hoping to have one day at a park and one day of relaxing or doing something NOT park related - but it looks like to experience everything at Universal, you have to get through both Universal Studio's and Island of Adventure. Is that a 2 full day deal or is that something you can get through in one day?

If we ultimately decide to NOT do a park, what are some other things to do that teenagers will enjoy as much as teenagers can enjoy anything?

Any suggestions on good hotels to stay at?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bearcat
05-18-2021, 01:52 PM
what are some other things to do that teenagers will enjoy as much as teenagers can enjoy anything?

Epcot has a great interactive Stare at Your Phone exhibit that lasts all day, with Hot Pockets provided at lunchtime.

KCUnited
05-18-2021, 01:56 PM
Book an airboat ride through the wetlands to see some gators and other wildlife. Had a blast doing it a few years ago.

Dallas Chief
05-18-2021, 02:03 PM

Going to be in Orlando for a couple days next month and thinking about spending one day at a park. Wanting to do something different from Disney. We've never been to Universal Studios and was hoping to get some input from those of you that have.

I'm hoping to have one day at a park and one day of relaxing or doing something NOT park related - but it looks like to experience everything at Universal, you have to get through both Universal Studio's and Island of Adventure. Is that a 2 full day deal or is that something you can get through in one day?

If we ultimately decide to NOT do a park, what are some other things to do that teenagers will enjoy as much as teenagers can enjoy anything?

I like the Dolphin or Swan resorts. They are on the Disney boardwalk and have nice pools. I am staying over Memorial Day at the Dolphin with my kids. If you have wheels it’s a pretty easy one hour drive over to the Kennedy Space Center. Even better if there is a launch going on while you are there. Good luck!

Bearcat
05-18-2021, 02:07 PM
I'm sure it's mentioned in this thread somewhere, but the Whispering Canyon Cafe is great (or at least was years ago)... they had all you can eat meat platters that were really good and it's a fun place to have a meal. Ask for a straw, get a box of straws... ask for ketchup and kids from every other table bring you ketchup... and random broom/horse races, etc.

Mr. Plow
05-18-2021, 02:08 PM
Epcot has a great interactive Stare at Your Phone exhibit that lasts all day, with Hot Pockets provided at lunchtime.

So basically it's just like being at home.

Mr. Plow
05-18-2021, 02:09 PM
Book an airboat ride through the wetlands to see some gators and other wildlife. Had a blast doing it a few years ago.

Had a friend that did that a few years back. Looked like a blast. I'll put that down on my list.

JD10367
05-18-2021, 02:11 PM

That's a large question. People tend to forget how narrow Florida is. Do you have a rental car? Head east from Orlando and in an hour you're at Cape Canaveral; head west and in 90 minutes you're in Tampa (with everything from Busch Gardens to the Florida Aquarium to the Dali Museum in St. Pete).

Orlando itself is pretty much just a giant tourist trap, but you can be tourist-trapped in things other than the Big Three (Disney, Universal, Sea World). Tacky as they might be, on International Drive you can find things like Ripley's and Madame Tussaud's.

If you're sticking within the Disney perimeter, Disney Springs is the latest name for the shopping center that used to be Disney Village and Pleasure Island. Plenty of places to shop (including non-Disney high-end stores) and eat.

If you are interested in being in the Disney bubble but not getting ass-raped for a room, people tend to forget that the Dolphin and Swan are non-Disney properties on site. I know someone who uses their Marriott Rewards to stay there. It's as good as being in a Disney hotel; you can walk or boat from there to the Boardwalk resort, the entrance to Hollywood Studios, the back entrance to EPCOT, and you can even walk next door to Disney's Fantasia mini-golf.

Dallas Chief
05-18-2021, 02:13 PM
That's a large question. People tend to forget how narrow Florida is. Do you have a rental car? Head east from Orlando and in an hour you're at Cape Canaveral; head west and in 90 minutes you're in Tampa (with everything from Busch Gardens to the Florida Aquarium to the Dali Museum in St. Pete).

Orlando itself is pretty much just a giant tourist trap, but you can be tourist-trapped in things other than the Big Three (Disney, Universal, Sea World). Tacky as they might be, on International Drive you can find things like Ripley's and Madame Tussaud's.

If you're sticking within the Disney perimeter, Disney Springs is the latest name for the shopping center that used to be Disney Village and Pleasure Island. Plenty of places to shop (including non-Disney high-end stores) and eat.

If you are interested in being in the Disney bubble but not getting ass-raped for a room, people tend to forget that the Dolphin and Swan are non-Disney properties on site. I know someone who uses their Marriott Rewards to stay there. It's as good as being in a Disney hotel; you can walk or boat from there to the Boardwalk resort, the entrance to Hollywood Studios, the back entrance to EPCOT, and you can even walk next door to Disney's Fantasia mini-golf.

My man...

Scooter LaCanforno
05-18-2021, 02:18 PM

Gators are everywhere right now and you'd see plenty if you do an Airboat ride. Airboats rides can be found on Rt. 520 at the St. Johns River. About 45 minutes east of Orlando. From there you can go to Cocoa Beach or the Space Center.

Mr. Plow
05-18-2021, 02:24 PM

I knew I was asking a loaded question that could come with hundreds of answers. But, wanted to get some peoples "top choices" outside of Disney.

I love Disney. I've probably been 20-25 times in my life. With such a quick trip (get in on a Thursday morning, leaving Saturday morning), I wanted to get some ideas of things other than parks to do.

We're driving down to Miami for work and then stopping back in Orlando on the way home, so we'll have our own car to move about anywhere we please.

Does anyone know if the Harry Potter stuff is worth seeing at Universal? Wife is really interested in it.

Scooter LaCanforno
05-18-2021, 02:24 PM
There also might be a Rocket Launch during the time you're down here. Check the schedule.

Mr. Plow
05-18-2021, 02:26 PM
Oh, and I've stayed at the Swan waaaaaay back when it first opened. I'm definitely going to look into those hotels.

ThaVirus
05-18-2021, 02:28 PM

About Universal, it really depends on a lot of factors. They've got three parks now: Universal, Islands of Adventure and Volcano Bay (water park).

Are all of your kids teens? If so, you could probably skip Seuss Landing and Toon Lagoon in IoA. That'd leave you with Incredible Hulk (great coaster), Spider-Man (awesome simulator), Hagrid's (great coaster but seemingly always broken down), King Kong (simulator), Jurassic Park (low key water ride), Forbidden Journey (cool simulator kind of deal) and they'll open the new Velocicoaster on June 10th which is fucking awesome as well. Plus they've got the Hogwarts castle and Hogsmeade if you're into the sights.

In Universal, you'd be able to skip the kiddie area as well as Minions and Shrek so that'd leave you with Mummy (cool indoor coaster), Rip Ride Rock-It (great coaster), Transformers (simulator just like Spider-Man), Fast and Furious (would NOT recommend, it fucking sucks), Simpsons (simulator) and Gringott's (coaster/simulator). For sights, Universal also has Diagon Alley which is so cool to see for the first time.

Volcano Bay is just fucking awesome. For all teens/pre-teens, it might e your best bet. They've got this cool system where you wear this digital bracelet. You can walk up to a ride and swipe your bracelet and it'll keep you in a virtual line. When the time has passed and you're able to ride, it'll buzz and you just walk up and ride. It just makes it so much more chill. Instead of sitting in the heat in a long ass line for an hour like the other parks, your kids can hit the lazy river or the wave pool or grab something to eat.

The parks have been packed lately so understand that there will be long waits and it's Florida so it's hot as balls. I've been spoiled so going without an Express Pass is not an option for me. If you've got the money, id recommend staying at one of the premiere hotels on-site like Hard Rock or Portofino since they will give your whole family Express passes with the reservation. Plus, Hard Rock has a bitchin' ass pool.

Deberg_1990
05-18-2021, 02:33 PM
I’m headed to universal in June. Staying on property.

Been there before I and would say 2 days to do everything if your just doing Islands and Universal. 3 days if you want to add the water park.

I plan on getting the express passes as well, but they are expensive.

ThaVirus
05-18-2021, 02:34 PM
Does anyone know if the Harry Potter stuff is worth seeing at Universal? Wife is really interested in it.

Dude, it's fucking awesome.

ThaVirus
05-18-2021, 02:37 PM
I’m headed to universal in June. Staying on property.

Been there before I and would say 2 days to do everything if your just doing Islands and Universal. 3 days if you want to add the water park.

I plan on getting the express passes as well, but they are expensive.

I saw they were going for $300+ per person lol fuck all that!

That's why you're better off booking one of the premier resorts. $400-500 per night is expensive but Express Passes for your whole family kinda makes it worth while.

For Plow, I might also recommend staying at Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls or Endless Summer. Those are all pretty good. They're not premier so no Express but really great properties with awesome pools and amenities.

KCUnited
05-18-2021, 03:02 PM
Had a friend that did that a few years back. Looked like a blast. I'll put that down on my list.

Protip: find a smaller operation. we took one that was like a 4-6 seater from a local as opposed to the giant ones with like a dozen fatties from canada on it. smaller ones can get into spots the bigger ones can't.

arrowheadnation
05-18-2021, 03:13 PM

If you want to go Disney, for teenagers I'd stick to Hollywood Studios. It's a one day park with the most "teenager" type rides, plus it has Star Wars land.

If you want to stick with Universal, then yeah, you have to buy passes to both parks to "see it all." You won't be able to ride everything, but it's definitely more "teen" oriented than Disney. You don't have to do both parks, but if you want to see all of the Harry Potter stuff you will (Diagon Alley is in one park and Hogsmeade/Hogwarts are in the other).

If you don't want to pay to get into the parks, just go to Disney Springs and/or Universal Citywalk. These are the free dining and entertainment districts. You can easily spend a few hours at each of them.

As for hotels, definitely avoid the Disney bubble right now. Most of the perks you get from staying in the bubble aren't being offered due to Covid. You can stay at the Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria cheaper anyway, and they're literally right there on disney property.

Kellerfox
05-18-2021, 06:16 PM

Both Universal parks are great, and I’d argue more enjoyable than Disney for Teenagers. Island of Adventures has more of the big thrill rides (roller coasters, etc.) while the original park is more about 3D/4D/VR/AR effects incorporated into rides... but thematically enjoyable. My wife is also a Harry Potter addict (I hate everything to do with the stories). We both really enjoyed The Harry Potter zone and rides. Corny as hell, but my wife bought the $30 wand and ran around the zone doing all the magic tricks alongside the kids (they have dozens of interactive stations where you can use the wands). I’d recommend doing both parks, but you can still be happy doing one or the other. Just look at the ride list and go with the one that interests your kids more. You won’t be able to do both in 1 day.

As far as other things to do: NASA’s Kennedy Center was awesome... but I haven’t been in 15 years.

Spott
05-18-2021, 06:48 PM
If you get into Hollywood Studios, definitely do the new Rise of the Resistance and the Millennium Falcon rides. It’s tricky to get on Rise of the Resistance because you literally have to check in the second it opens up to get a slot on the ride. Both of the Universal parks are great. I assume the water park is a blast, too. The Harry Potter area at Universal is definitely worth it, and the new Hagrid’s ride has great reviews.

Delmonico’s has great authentic Italian food and it’s my favorite restaurant in Orlando. Via Napoli at Epcot is an excellent pizza place. Toothsomes Chocolate Factory at City Walk is pretty cool, too. If you are going to eat in Disney or Universal, you may want to check the hours of the restaurants because the Disney ones were all closed at 7:00 last weekend because of covid. They may be opening up more now with some of the restrictions being lifted but I would definitely check it out.

Mosbonian
05-18-2021, 06:58 PM
I love Disney. I've probably been 20-25 times in my life.

Amateur..... 😁....

I know everyone is telling you to avoid the Disney bubble, but I would disagree.

Also...I guess I am not as impressed with the Dolphin ir Swan as others.

If I was going to recommend anything other that Disney property I would say the hotels near Disney Springs. Let's you walk to Disney Springs but also have quick access to the Interstate to head to all the other attractions that have been mentioned.

Deberg_1990
05-18-2021, 07:17 PM
I saw they were going for $300+ per person lol **** all that!

That's why you're better off booking one of the premier resorts. $400-500 per night is expensive but Express Passes for your whole family kinda makes it worth while.

For Plow, I might also recommend staying at Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls or Endless Summer. Those are all pretty good. They're not premier so no Express but really great properties with awesome pools and amenities.

Yea. Stayed at Cabana Bay about 5 years ago. It was great. Staying at Sapphire Falls this trip.

mr. tegu
05-18-2021, 07:49 PM
I knew I was asking a loaded question that could come with hundreds of answers. But, wanted to get some peoples "top choices" outside of Disney.

I love Disney. I've probably been 20-25 times in my life. With such a quick trip (get in on a Thursday morning, leaving Saturday morning), I wanted to get some ideas of things other than parks to do.

We're driving down to Miami for work and then stopping back in Orlando on the way home, so we'll have our own car to move about anywhere we please.

If you are thinking of Universal on a one day option it can definitely be done if you get the park hopper option. No one will be able to do everything in one day but the teenagers can ride all the thrill rides and you and your wife could pick and choose some while still seeing all of Harry Potter world. Remember that Harry Potter is part of both parks so seeing it all needs either two park tickets or a park hopper, but it and Universal is small enough to have a good experience in one day.

Even non fans will enjoy it given the thorough theming and complete submersion into the world. They took every page out of Disney’s playbook creating it from the theming and experience but also in the line queues and rides in Harry Potter world. They are all very good. You can’t see any of the other parts of the park while in it. Every building and detail contributes to the feeling of being part of that world. The dragon shoots fire every so often which is cool. Just a lot of details you can otherwise only find in Disney.

I highly recommend the slushy style butter beer. We tried it, the ice cream, and the regular drink with the slushy version being by far the best.

In short, as a big Disney fan you are, you will both definitely find the appreciation, value, and enjoyment of Harry Potter alone given it’s Disney inspiration, but adding in the rest is just a nice bonus. There is plenty for others to do as well. The City Walk can be good as well with the Chocolate Emporium being a really cool place with good shakes, candies, and desserts.

As for where to stay, anywhere near Disney is too far from Universal. There are plenty of good options from reliable national chains along International Drive.

Mr. Plow
05-19-2021, 09:15 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. There is a LOT to digest. Going to re-read it all and then I'll ask all the kids what they want to do. Once I get the 3 "I don't care" answers from them, I'll make the decisions myself.

Mosbonian
05-19-2021, 10:45 AM
I agree with everything mr. tegu said save for one thing.....I am not a big fan of staying on International Drive. But that is more personal taste than anything else.

I agree that Universal went all Disney on Harry Potter and I am not a Potter fan and still enjoyed it.

alpha_omega
05-19-2021, 10:56 AM
What about the cable skiing (and whatever else they offer)? I always see the place right off the highway, but have never done it. Any good?

https://www.orlandowatersports.com/

Holladay
05-19-2021, 11:27 AM

This.

I find a hole in the wall out fit, not one that can seat 20 people. We found one that sat just our family (4). The guide was great. We went to an island and he wanted to find "Old Gatter". He did some sort of grunting, and this huge gatter popped up right in front of us. He was surprised, he hadn't seen Old Gatter for a number of years.

Scared the crap outta me and the kids, even though we were on a board walk of sorts.

jallmon
05-19-2021, 11:58 AM
We were there the weekend preceding the Challenger disaster. It sure a **** was cold then (late January, 1986). In the 20s, remember the seals on the solid fuel boosters got too cold. So, it can get down right frosty in Orlando in January. Don't know how rare it is for that to happen, but it sure did happen.

Deberg_1990
05-19-2021, 12:10 PM
I agree that Universal went all Disney on Harry Potter and I am not a Potter fan and still enjoyed it.

Yea, not a potter fan either, but the Potter stuff is pretty fantastic.

Universal has sort of evolved over the years for sure. It’s barely even a ‘studios’ anymore like it was originally intended. I guess they had to adapt or die.

arrowheadnation
05-19-2021, 02:31 PM
Cannot wait for the new Universal Park to complete in a couple years (Epic Universe)...specifically Super Nintendo World!

https://attractionsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Super-Nintendo-World-awaits-guests-main.jpg

*EDIT....ouch, looks like opening is delayed to 2025 due to Covid.

RedRaider56
05-19-2021, 03:03 PM
I took our family to both places about 5 years ago. Had a great time at both. Each park offers different things, so you don't get bored. (at least we didnt')
We used the park pass at Universal to go back and forth between the parks all the time. You really have to if you want the true Harry Potter experience (which our entire family enjoys)

At Disney World we purchased the Park Hopper pass and ended up never using it. We ended up spending the entire day at whatever park we started in.
Also paid the extra $$ for the Disney Photo Pass. Well worth the $$. Pictures were great and we were able to get into photo opportunities we never would have otherwises

Spott
05-19-2021, 04:40 PM
Cannot wait for the new Universal Park to complete in a couple years (Epic Universe)...specifically Super Nintendo World!

https://attractionsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Super-Nintendo-World-awaits-guests-main.jpg

*EDIT....ouch, looks like opening is delayed to 2025 due to Covid.

I had heard about that but hadn’t seen any visuals of it. That will be amazing.

mr. tegu
05-19-2021, 08:57 PM
Nintendo World is supposed to open at Universal Studios Hollywood first which is planned for ‘22 or ‘23. It just opened in Japan this year and you can see videos on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/63UtzXfN15s

Mr. Plow
05-20-2021, 07:32 AM
Also paid the extra $$ for the Disney Photo Pass. Well worth the $$. Pictures were great and we were able to get into photo opportunities we never would have otherwises

Last time we were at Disney was 2 years ago and I'll say that the photopass deal that Disney has is well worth the money. Took the entire family (around 18 of us). You can get tons of pics around the parks without having to worry about someone not being in the pic or asking someone to take one. Then you can download & save them when you get home.

RedRaider56
05-20-2021, 07:44 AM
Last time we were at Disney was 2 years ago and I'll say that the photopass deal that Disney has is well worth the money. Took the entire family (around 18 of us). You can get tons of pics around the parks without having to worry about someone not being in the pic or asking someone to take one. Then you can download & save them when you get home.

Agreed. Plus, they send you a bunch of other stock photos from around the park that you can use for scrapbooks, photo albums, etc.. Pictures of some of the key landmarks when the park is empty, no tourists etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosbonian
12-21-2021, 11:00 AM
Just spent a week at Disney World the first week of December...actually wasn't all that busy. Was able to ride most of the rides we wanted to at all the Parks.

There was a larger choice when it came to food options that last year. And 95% of the Cast Members were what you expected from Disney people.

They did a much better job getting people into the park quickly...no long lines checking every bag.

What was poor? The selection of merchandise and the prices for what merchandise was there. Quality of the merchandise was not there IMO

Anyone else been lately?

BWillie
12-21-2021, 11:03 AM
I went to Disney World for one day during Thanksgiving weekend. Was one of the worst days of my life. 1.5 to 2 hrs to wait for rides. We probably went to the wrong park since we don't have kids, but my GF wanted to see that castle.

If I ever do it again certainly going at a less busier time and going to Universal Park.

htismaqe
12-21-2021, 11:04 AM
Been there once.

Never again.

Mosbonian
12-21-2021, 11:11 AM
I went to Disney World for one day during Thanksgiving weekend. Was one of the worst days of my life. 1.5 to 2 hrs to wait for rides. We probably went to the wrong park since we don't have kids, but my GF wanted to see that castle.

If I ever do it again certainly going at a less busier time and going to Universal Park.

Magic Kingdom is always busy from 9 AM to 2 PM.....full of parents and kids. The parents take the kids back to the hotel for an afternoon break and the head back around 5/6 PM to finish the day.

NEVER, EVER go to Disney on Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve/Day. If you do you are just torturing yourself.

mr. tegu
12-21-2021, 11:17 AM
We were there for eight days ending the 12th. The genie + fast pass system is terrible and contributes to it feeling even more busy than normal. We didn’t use it our first two days but realized we had no choice if our 20 month old was going to be able to do anything besides get cranky in lines. And yes, the merchandise selection was awful, both in quality and quantity for all ages, but there was essentially nothing for young kids or toddlers, whether clothes or toys.

We had been wanting to go at Christmas but that was the most disappointing for us. It didn’t really add to the fun as it was hard to actually just admire decorations or scenery with giant crowds. It didn’t help that my wife couldn’t find any Christmas ears and in general the Christmas souvenir supply wasn’t good at all. I think we would actually just prefer the Disney music in the background like normal. The Epcot Christmas concert was good though.

I liked the new Epcot night show but the new Magic Kingdom show is just okay and the old one was much better.

HC_Chief
12-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Magic Kingdom is always busy from 9 AM to 2 PM.....full of parents and kids. The parents take the kids back to the hotel for an afternoon break and the head back around 5/6 PM to finish the day.

NEVER, EVER go to Disney on Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve/Day. If you do you are just torturing yourself.

Halloween as well. Brutal crowds.

Spott
12-21-2021, 11:33 AM

Going the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving is actually pretty nice, or at least it was when I did it a couple of years ago.

scho63
12-21-2021, 11:33 AM
I was a sophomore in High School the first and only time our family went to Disney World in Orlando.

Loved it.

MarkDavis'Haircut
12-21-2021, 12:17 PM
I went to WDW on Christmas Day once. Never again.

It was torture.

Spott
12-21-2021, 12:20 PM
I went to WDW on Christmas Day once. Never again.

It was torture.

The only day that might be worse is New Year’s Eve. I’ve never done it, but I have heard horror stories from people that have done it as well as from some employees at the park.

Mosbonian
12-21-2021, 05:40 PM
We were there for eight days ending the 12th. The genie + fast pass system is terrible and contributes to it feeling even more busy than normal. We didn’t use it our first two days but realized we had no choice if our 20 month old was going to be able to do anything besides get cranky in lines. And yes, the merchandise selection was awful, both in quality and quantity for all ages, but there was essentially nothing for young kids or toddlers, whether clothes or toys.

We had been wanting to go at Christmas but that was the most disappointing for us. It didn’t really add to the fun as it was hard to actually just admire decorations or scenery with giant crowds. It didn’t help that my wife couldn’t find any Christmas ears and in general the Christmas souvenir supply wasn’t good at all. I think we would actually just prefer the Disney music in the background like normal. The Epcot Christmas concert was good though.

I liked the new Epcot night show but the new Magic Kingdom show is just okay and the old one was much better.

We were actually there at the same time as you. I agree that Magic Kingdom was packed silly and it wasn't worth going to.

But we walked onto every ride we wanted to at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom save for Rise, Everest, Pandora and Slinky rides. Actually rode Soarin 3 times and didn't have but a 10 minute wait at the most.

The night show that was projected onto the Chinese Theater in Hollywood Studios was great. As was the light show and music that played on the EPCOT ball. The light show at the end of the night was enjoyable, but the Candlelight Procession was the best for me. There was one gal in the Cast Member choir whose voice you could hear above all was dynamite. Man...she could shatter glass.

Mosbonian
12-21-2021, 05:45 PM

Where did you guys stay? We were at the All Star Music in one of the refurbished rooms with the Murphy bed.

The downside of the stay....I felt I needed a Golf Cart to get to my room every night...man they stuck us at the furthest point from the Main building.

BWillie
12-21-2021, 06:09 PM
The only day that might be worse is New Year’s Eve. I’ve never done it, but I have heard horror stories from people that have done it as well as from some employees at the park.

Who the fuck would want to go to Disney World on New Years Eve? I don't get it.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Who the **** would want to go to Disney World on New Years Eve? I don't get it.

I wouldn’t, but millions would. I believe they typically reach max capacity on Christmas and New Years days.

Spott
12-21-2021, 06:31 PM
Who the fuck would want to go to Disney World on New Years Eve? I don't get it.

My brother-in-law, but he’s crazy into Disney. He said it took him like 3-4 hours to get from the Castle to the parking lot after the fireworks because it was so crowded.

mr. tegu
12-21-2021, 06:34 PM
Where did you guys stay? We were at the All Star Music in one of the refurbished rooms with the Murphy bed.

The downside of the stay....I felt I needed a Golf Cart to get to my room every night...man they stuck us at the furthest point from the Main building.

We stayed at the Dolphin. Over multiple trips prior we had never stayed anywhere but the Boardwalk using DVC rental points. Usually it is about half price of Disney prices but with the pandemic availability was a bit limited. We purchased through Costco and still saved quite a bit though.

However the Dolphin is definitely not as Disney and in general not what we are looking for in a Disney vacation. The lobby was packed with Baseball winter meetings people all week so it was noisy and busy. Also just not as convenient with bus transportation or using magic bands for room entry. We actually walked to Boardwalk buses for Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs because the Dolphin drop point recently changed at those places.

Honestly can’t see ever staying anywhere outside of the Epcot resorts area unless we decide we want to do the Grand Floridian. There’s it’s of good places but the convenience and amenities there is hard to beat.

wheeler08
12-21-2021, 06:38 PM
I’m going New Years Day. Hollywood studios or whatever it’s called. Pray for me

notorious
12-21-2021, 06:38 PM
Someone could pay for a trip for my family to Disney World and I'd decline.

mr. tegu
12-21-2021, 06:42 PM
We were actually there at the same time as you. I agree that Magic Kingdom was packed silly and it wasn't worth going to.

But we walked onto every ride we wanted to at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom save for Rise, Everest, Pandora and Slinky rides. Actually rode Soarin 3 times and didn't have but a 10 minute wait at the most.

The night show that was projected onto the Chinese Theater in Hollywood Studios was great. As was the light show and music that played on the EPCOT ball. The light show at the end of the night was enjoyable, but the Candlelight Procession was the best for me. There was one gal in the Cast Member choir whose voice you could hear above all was dynamite. Man...she could shatter glass.

Waits for things like Nemo, Little Mermaid, and Buzz Lightyear were routinely 30 minutes or more. Those waits aren’t worth it in general but especially not with a toddler. Once we decided to get genie + it was better but you can only use it on the same ride once which is awful.

BigRichard
12-21-2021, 06:52 PM
With all the technology we have now why is that no amusement park can make it so you don't have to wait in lines... have some sort of paging system and you only can queue for one or two rides... if you don't show up within 5 minutes your spot is gone and goes to the next lucky bunch. I see that as a win win for everyone... nobody has to wait in lines and it would allow parents more time to buy other shit that makes the park money.

Could you imagine a big name park stating that you never have to wait in lines anymore?

JD10367
12-21-2021, 06:56 PM
Just spent a week at Disney World the first week of December...actually wasn't all that busy. Was able to ride most of the rides we wanted to at all the Parks.

There was a larger choice when it came to food options that last year. And 95% of the Cast Members were what you expected from Disney people.

They did a much better job getting people into the park quickly...no long lines checking every bag.

What was poor? The selection of merchandise and the prices for what merchandise was there. Quality of the merchandise was not there IMO

Anyone else been lately?

I was there the same time as you (I went down on the 4th, came back on the 12th). It was pretty damn busy but unless you were lining up for the E-ticket rides it wasn't bad. (Things like Mine Train, Frozen, Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, Runaway Railway, and Slinky Dog usually had 60+ minute lines.) The trick to this new FastPass-free era is to treat Disney like it used to be in the summer: go in at rope drop, ride a few things until around 11am, then leave the park until early evening. (We didn't buy that stupid-ass Genie crap.) Every day we'd go off-property for lunch, or we'd do an escape room (we did four over the course of the week), and one day we trekked out to a big cat sanctuary. We never did get on Mine Train or Frozen, but we did Flight of Passage twice. We also did Soarin' three times, Toy Story four times, Haunted Mansion twice, and almost everything else once (Rise, Railway, Slinky, Peter Pan, Splash, Big Thunder, Test Track).

mr. tegu
12-21-2021, 07:12 PM
With all the technology we have now why is that no amusement park can make it so you don't have to wait in lines... have some sort of paging system and you only can queue for one or two rides... if you don't show up within 5 minutes your spot is gone and goes to the next lucky bunch. I see that as a win win for everyone... nobody has to wait in lines and it would allow parents more time to buy other shit that makes the park money.

Could you imagine a big name park stating that you never have to wait in lines anymore?

They are just starting to experiment with virtual queues and also with genie + lighting lanes having short waits for the exact reason you mention, sell other stuff, however by my estimation the way genie + is working thousands of people have no choice but to wait in regular lines so it’s not going to work as they hope. People who use their genie + reservation on a ride that has them return at 4 pm will and are waiting in regular lines.

I believe that’s why almost everything has very long waits. We waited 20 minutes for People Mover even. Clearly frequent visitors know how to get the most out of it and when to ride things, but the average Disney visitors aren’t doing that.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2021, 07:36 PM
I’ve been hearing nothing but bad about Genie+.

Why did they move to that? To make more money? People loved the old free fastpass system.

mr. tegu
12-21-2021, 07:53 PM
I’ve been hearing nothing but bad about Genie+.

Why did they move to that? To make more money? People loved the old free fastpass system.

Big thing clearly is just to charge for what was previously free. But there’s been lots of that such as no more free magic bands, no more free airport transport, or free resort parking. All those changes are fairly recent and huge added costs.

They sell it though as spend less time waiting in lines but that’s simply not reality as it’s worst for many people and at best the same for some people but now they have to pay. They also are pushing the genie + that will plan your day for you but it’s garbage, but in reality the people who would rely on that probably don’t know any better.

They also say it’s more in line with other places that do charge for fast ride access, such as Universal, but at Universal it’s still free for those at their resorts.

There also is a trend towards targeting guests who don’t go as often who will spend whatever is needed to have a good time. That’s why many of the perks I mentioned earlier are gone and why things like annual pass holders have been removed or greatly reduced. They believe the once every 5-10 year people, who do spend more money than frequent guests, will spend whatever they have to in order to get the most out of it. That’s the balance they have to work through because if those people stop coming and get priced out then Disney will really have to reconsider things.

ThaVirus
12-21-2021, 08:04 PM
They are just starting to experiment with virtual queues and also with genie + lighting lanes having short waits for the exact reason you mention, sell other stuff, however by my estimation the way genie + is working thousands of people have no choice but to wait in regular lines so it’s not going to work as they hope. People who use their genie + reservation on a ride that has them return at 4 pm will and are waiting in regular lines.

I believe that’s why almost everything has very long waits. We waited 20 minutes for People Mover even. Clearly frequent visitors know how to get the most out of it and when to ride things, but the average Disney visitors aren’t doing that.

Universal actually opened up a new water park called Volcano Bay a few years back and they have a virtual queue sort of deal.

Everyone who enters the park gets a watch. The watch is really just used to "check in" to virtual queues. So you'll walk up to a ride, say Krakatoa, and see how long the wait is. If it's 1 hour and you don't mind waiting, you swipe your watch over the sensor and it starts the countdown. You can head back to the wave pool or go grab some food. In an hour your watch will buzz and you can head up to the ride. You usually don't have to wait in line for any more than 5-10 minutes.

It's awesome.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2021, 08:11 PM
Big thing clearly is just to charge for what was previously free. But there’s been lots of that such as no more free magic bands, no more free airport transport, or free resort parking. All those changes are fairly recent and huge added costs.

They sell it though as spend less time waiting in lines but that’s simply not reality as it’s worst for many people and at best the same for some people but now they have to pay. They also are pushing the genie + that will plan your day for you but it’s garbage, but in reality the people who would rely on that probably don’t know any better.

They also say it’s more in line with other places that do charge for fast ride access, such as Universal, but at Universal it’s still free for those at their resorts.

There also is a trend towards targeting guests who don’t go as often who will spend whatever is needed to have a good time. That’s why many of the perks I mentioned earlier are gone and why things like annual pass holders have been removed or greatly reduced. They believe the once every 5-10 year people, who do spend more money than frequent guests, will spend whatever they have to in order to get the most out of it. That’s the balance they have to work through because if those people stop coming and get priced out then Disney will really have to reconsider things.

Yep that’s basically me. Go about every 4-5 years and spend a ton. This past summer took my son to Universal. Stayed at Sapphire Falls and bought unlimited express passes. Made the trip 100x more enjoyable.

ThaVirus
12-21-2021, 08:11 PM

Yeah, your biggest mistake was timing. Any time of year that the kids are out of school is just a horrible time to be in the parks. The week before Thanksgiving? Awesome. Week after? No worries. Week of? Not a fucking chance.

You also chose the wrong park. Only thing good about Magic Kingdom is the castle and fireworks show. Unless you have kids, of course. If you have kids, Magic Kingdom is a must.

But childless? Your best bet is Hollywood Studios, IMO. Epcot is great for Food and Wine Festival or just drinking and eating in general. Animal Kingdom isn't bad if you like safaris. Everest is pretty good and they've recently added Pandora from Avatar and Star Wars stuff as well.

Anyone else been lately?

Universal is having a similar issue. Their merch is actually fucking awesome right now, but they're having issues with supply. Apparently people are buying up so much of it they're finding it hard to keep up with the demand.

Mosbonian
12-21-2021, 08:18 PM
I was there the same time as you (I went down on the 4th, came back on the 12th). It was pretty damn busy but unless you were lining up for the E-ticket rides it wasn't bad. (Things like Mine Train, Frozen, Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, Runaway Railway, and Slinky Dog usually had 60+ minute lines.) The trick to this new FastPass-free era is to treat Disney like it used to be in the summer: go in at rope drop, ride a few things until around 11am, then leave the park until early evening. (We didn't buy that stupid-ass Genie crap.) Every day we'd go off-property for lunch, or we'd do an escape room (we did four over the course of the week), and one day we trekked out to a big cat sanctuary. We never did get on Mine Train or Frozen, but we did Flight of Passage twice. We also did Soarin' three times, Toy Story four times, Haunted Mansion twice, and almost everything else once (Rise, Railway, Slinky, Peter Pan, Splash, Big Thunder, Test Track).

We normally eat breakfast in the room...we bring supplies from home which is easy for us since we.drive there.

We go enough with the Florida Residents Pass that we don't have to cramp everything into one visit. The change in Season passes will change some of when we go but will still make sure.to go enough to get my money out of it.

We were lucky this time and didn't get charged for Parking at the resort like last year.

Mosbonian
12-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Yeah, your biggest mistake was timing. Any time of year that the kids are out of school is just a horrible time to be in the parks. The week before Thanksgiving? Awesome. Week after? No worries. Week of? Not a ****ing chance.

I learned my lesson about going during Thanksgiving about 15 years ago.....never the hell again. Not only are all the Parks packed and it's wall to wall crying kids.....but when you leave on Sat/Sun morning and head north on either 75 or 95 it's like rush hour in LA. You are lucky if you manage to go 45 MPH for 75 miles.

We have gone the first week of December for the past 8 years....and been happy. It's not so crowded and you don't get rammed by the damned Double-Wide Stroller crowd or the person who never learned how to use the ECV correctly.

Frazod
12-21-2021, 09:35 PM
I learned my lesson about going during Thanksgiving about 15 years ago.....never the hell again. Not only are all the Parks packed and it's wall to wall crying kids.....but when you leave on Sat/Sun morning and head north on either 75 or 95 it's like rush hour in LA. You are lucky if you manage to go 45 MPH for 75 miles.

We have gone the first week of December for the past 8 years....and been happy. It's not so crowded and you don't get rammed by the damned Double-Wide Stroller crowd or the person who never learned how to use the ECV correctly.

Few things are as shitty as an amusement park, any amusement park, on a holiday weekend. Hell, any weekend generally sucks. I remember my mom took me to the Six Flags near St. Louis over the 4th of July weekend once when I was a kid. It was awful. Hot as fuck, completely packed, and the lines took forever. I think I was able to get on four or five rides all day. After that we went during the week. I think that was the genesis for my lifelong hatred of crowds and hot weather.

The last summer I was stationed up at Great Lakes, I finally could afford to move off base and rented an apartment about 10 minutes from Six Flags Great America in Waukegan. My buddy and I got season passes, and we'd go a couple of nights a week. That was great. Go for two or three hours, and if you miss something, hit it the next time. The temperature was reasonable and it wasn't crowded at all. The season pass basically paid for itself after the third visit.

BWillie
12-21-2021, 09:45 PM

Please apply to be the CEO of Disney.

WhawhaWhat
12-22-2021, 05:45 AM
With all the technology we have now why is that no amusement park can make it so you don't have to wait in lines... have some sort of paging system and you only can queue for one or two rides... if you don't show up within 5 minutes your spot is gone and goes to the next lucky bunch.

Disney already had that system for years. It was called Fast Pass. Now they changed it and are charging for it. But you still get to skip the lines for the rides and shows that you pick.

Dunerdr
12-22-2021, 07:55 AM
Disney already had that system for years. It was called Fast Pass. Now they changed it and are charging for it. But you still get to skip the lines for the rides and shows that you pick.

Yeah we could book 3 rides a day with the fast pass when we went two years ago. You schedule your party for a block of time like 9:00 to 9:25 and show up in that time frame.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2021, 08:04 AM
Yeah we could book 3 rides a day with the fast pass when we went two years ago. You schedule your party for a block of time like 9:00 to 9:25 and show up in that time frame.

I was last at Disney world in 2017. I remember We stayed on property for one night so we were able to book rides like a month or so in advance. Once in the park, Used the app and it was wonderful. I must have booked 10 or so fastpasses per day.

Last time I was at Disneyland was around 2015 and they still used the paper fast passes. Those were great too. Not sure what system Disneyland is using these days?

BigRedChief
12-22-2021, 08:07 AM

NEVER, EVER go to Disney on Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve/Day. If you do you are just torturing yourself.This! What were you thinking?:doh!:

mr. tegu
12-22-2021, 08:11 AM
It’s readily apparent how much worst the new genie + lightning lane system is than the previous fast pass system. It’s one thing to take a free product like fast pass that works well and charge for it, but they not only started charging for it, they also made it substantially worst.

I know they would get complaints from people that they didn’t like having to book rides 30-60 days in advance, and perhaps that’s part of the reasoning on the change, but the people who wouldn’t prepare before aren’t going to prepare now either. I heard dozens of people in the parks each day being clueless as to what lightning lane is and using genie +. It’s surprising to me, but thousands of people go to Disney World each day without much of any planning and preparation.

And on the new system if you want a popular ride, you still have to reserve it at a very specific time, (7 am day of if staying on property) and if you don’t, you don’t get a reservation for the ride because they are booked within minutes. So that aspect still hasn’t even changed. Poor planners are still not getting ride time reservations.

alpha_omega
05-23-2022, 09:46 AM
It's long so, under the spoiler.

Has the cost of Disney World become unaffordable for the average American family?

Recent guests of Walt Disney World complain that price hikes have gone too far

Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, has been a go-to destination for generations of American families, but the skyrocketing costs of admission, accommodations, and even spending inside the park are leaving many visitors wondering if a Disney vacation is now only reserved for the rich.

A family of four from New Jersey reached out to FOX News Digital after taking a recent trip to Disney World, saying they had sticker shock over what they spent on their visit and noticed changes at the park from times past.

Gone is the Magical Express that previously served as a courtesy shuttle, so the family shelled out $200 for private transportation to get to and from the airport.

Park hopper tickets cost $2,550 for the five days they attended. Their four nights of lodging inside the resort cost $3,780 for the parents and two kids.

Once inside the park, they spent $300 on Genie plus passes for their entire trip to skip lines in order to avoid spending all their time waiting for rides. The parents said they paid $950 on sit-down meals and another $700 or so for snacks and souvenirs. All told, the cost of the visit rounded out to $8,480, and airfare pushed the price of their vacation upwards of $10,000.

"I feel like Disney is pricing people out, can the average working American family really afford this?" the mother said in remarks to FOX Business. "I've been coming to Disney since I was six years old. I'm 39 now. My kids thought Disney was magical and so for me the cost was worth it, but I see that it's not the same Disney it was."

It's not all magic
Jason Cochran, editor-in-chief of travel site Frommer's, says disenchanted Disney World guests are not imagining things and that the park has changed.

Cochran has been going to Disney World since 1972, and has written Frommer's guidebook for Disney World, Universal and Orlando since 2006. He says that even the most devoted Disney fans are starting to revolt over a combination of ever-escalating prices, lower quality experiences, and frustrations in navigating a visit.

"Disney has not publicly, but very apparently privately made the decision that it wants to court guests that spend more per day than guests used to spend," Cochran told FOX Business. "In order to do that, it's done a number of things both to maximize the profit that it's making on a day-to-day basis and also to increase the prices of access for guests."

Disney World raises its prices nearly every year far beyond the rate of inflation, he says, so that isn't new. In fact, the price for visiting the park for just one or two days has not changed from last year, but rates have gone up on most other options, according to Cochran. For instance, the price of multi-day tickets for four days now starts at $447.70, up from $434.83, and can go as high as $596.74 on busy days.

In addition to doing away with the free airport shuttle, the park got rid of parking trams at all its Orlando parks except the Magic Kingdom. Speaking of parking, that is no longer free at resort hotels, and will set visitors back $15 to $25 per night. For those not staying at Disney, a parking pass for the day starts at $25 per day and goes up to $50 for a premium spot.

At the same time, Disney has scaled back its entertainment. Cochran says the company has not brought back many of the 32,000 employees it let go during the pandemic, and has instead eliminated positions.

Cochran says Disney World is still "packed" so it is too early to tell if the park could see a drop in traffic due to the changes, especially because all amusement parks are seeing a surge in demand as vacationers emerge from the pandemic. But he says that with the uptick in complaints he is seeing, "my hunch is it is not going to be good for the brand long term."

Walt Disney World Resort has high ratings on Tripadvisor, with 4.5 out of 5 stars from 33,750 reviews. But several of the recent reviews were also peppered with similar complaints, with folks expressing frustration over the requirement to make reservations in the park ahead of time, the cost of $5 water and absence of refillable park cups, and long wait times.

"What has happened to Disney? They seem to be trying to extract as much money out of people as possible," one person wrote, adding, "Walt would be turning in his grave if he knew the current situation. We will never be visiting Disney again after this holiday. Shame on you Disney, you should be ashamed.

The real cost
FOX News Digital traveled to Orlando and interviewed other Disney World visitors to hear first-hand about their experiences at the park.

Justin, from Salt Lake City, Utah, said he and his wife have been bringing their kids to Disney for nearly 20 years, and that the rise in costs has been "incredible." He said that with their multi-day passes, the cost of tickets alone for their family of six was close to $3,500, and that they spent another $2,700 inside the park itself.

The software salesman recalled his parents taking him to his first trip to Disney World in 1987, and said he always wanted to bring his kids, but now he worries whether they will be able to do the same for their own children.

Justin said he now wonders if a Disney World vacation has "become something that's only for the wealthy, or the upper-middle class."

"I think there's a lot of families that just can't, simply can't afford… to have that experience, and that's kind of sad," Justin said. "Because in the way Disney started out, I think it was meant to be for everyone."

Cochran agrees that Disney is now out of the price range of many families.

"My concern is that more and more people are putting this on credit cards," he said, urging folks to save up for the trip ahead of time.

"There's a lot of families in the middle class and working class, blue-collar families who are still going to be spending that money because they want to give it to their kids," he added. "I think Disney takes advantage of that."

The Walt Disney Company did not respond to FOX Business' multiple requests for comment.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/cost-disney-world-unaffordable-average-american-family

Spott
05-23-2022, 10:00 AM
It's long so, under the spoiler.

Has the cost of Disney World become unaffordable for the average American family?

Recent guests of Walt Disney World complain that price hikes have gone too far

Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, has been a go-to destination for generations of American families, but the skyrocketing costs of admission, accommodations, and even spending inside the park are leaving many visitors wondering if a Disney vacation is now only reserved for the rich.

A family of four from New Jersey reached out to FOX News Digital after taking a recent trip to Disney World, saying they had sticker shock over what they spent on their visit and noticed changes at the park from times past.

Gone is the Magical Express that previously served as a courtesy shuttle, so the family shelled out $200 for private transportation to get to and from the airport.

Park hopper tickets cost $2,550 for the five days they attended. Their four nights of lodging inside the resort cost $3,780 for the parents and two kids.

Once inside the park, they spent $300 on Genie plus passes for their entire trip to skip lines in order to avoid spending all their time waiting for rides. The parents said they paid $950 on sit-down meals and another $700 or so for snacks and souvenirs. All told, the cost of the visit rounded out to $8,480, and airfare pushed the price of their vacation upwards of $10,000.

"I feel like Disney is pricing people out, can the average working American family really afford this?" the mother said in remarks to FOX Business. "I've been coming to Disney since I was six years old. I'm 39 now. My kids thought Disney was magical and so for me the cost was worth it, but I see that it's not the same Disney it was."

It's not all magic
Jason Cochran, editor-in-chief of travel site Frommer's, says disenchanted Disney World guests are not imagining things and that the park has changed.

Cochran has been going to Disney World since 1972, and has written Frommer's guidebook for Disney World, Universal and Orlando since 2006. He says that even the most devoted Disney fans are starting to revolt over a combination of ever-escalating prices, lower quality experiences, and frustrations in navigating a visit.

"Disney has not publicly, but very apparently privately made the decision that it wants to court guests that spend more per day than guests used to spend," Cochran told FOX Business. "In order to do that, it's done a number of things both to maximize the profit that it's making on a day-to-day basis and also to increase the prices of access for guests."

Disney World raises its prices nearly every year far beyond the rate of inflation, he says, so that isn't new. In fact, the price for visiting the park for just one or two days has not changed from last year, but rates have gone up on most other options, according to Cochran. For instance, the price of multi-day tickets for four days now starts at $447.70, up from $434.83, and can go as high as $596.74 on busy days.

In addition to doing away with the free airport shuttle, the park got rid of parking trams at all its Orlando parks except the Magic Kingdom. Speaking of parking, that is no longer free at resort hotels, and will set visitors back $15 to $25 per night. For those not staying at Disney, a parking pass for the day starts at $25 per day and goes up to $50 for a premium spot.

At the same time, Disney has scaled back its entertainment. Cochran says the company has not brought back many of the 32,000 employees it let go during the pandemic, and has instead eliminated positions.

Cochran says Disney World is still "packed" so it is too early to tell if the park could see a drop in traffic due to the changes, especially because all amusement parks are seeing a surge in demand as vacationers emerge from the pandemic. But he says that with the uptick in complaints he is seeing, "my hunch is it is not going to be good for the brand long term."

Walt Disney World Resort has high ratings on Tripadvisor, with 4.5 out of 5 stars from 33,750 reviews. But several of the recent reviews were also peppered with similar complaints, with folks expressing frustration over the requirement to make reservations in the park ahead of time, the cost of $5 water and absence of refillable park cups, and long wait times.

"What has happened to Disney? They seem to be trying to extract as much money out of people as possible," one person wrote, adding, "Walt would be turning in his grave if he knew the current situation. We will never be visiting Disney again after this holiday. Shame on you Disney, you should be ashamed.

The real cost
FOX News Digital traveled to Orlando and interviewed other Disney World visitors to hear first-hand about their experiences at the park.

Justin, from Salt Lake City, Utah, said he and his wife have been bringing their kids to Disney for nearly 20 years, and that the rise in costs has been "incredible." He said that with their multi-day passes, the cost of tickets alone for their family of six was close to $3,500, and that they spent another $2,700 inside the park itself.

The software salesman recalled his parents taking him to his first trip to Disney World in 1987, and said he always wanted to bring his kids, but now he worries whether they will be able to do the same for their own children.

Justin said he now wonders if a Disney World vacation has "become something that's only for the wealthy, or the upper-middle class."

"I think there's a lot of families that just can't, simply can't afford… to have that experience, and that's kind of sad," Justin said. "Because in the way Disney started out, I think it was meant to be for everyone."

Cochran agrees that Disney is now out of the price range of many families.

"My concern is that more and more people are putting this on credit cards," he said, urging folks to save up for the trip ahead of time.

"There's a lot of families in the middle class and working class, blue-collar families who are still going to be spending that money because they want to give it to their kids," he added. "I think Disney takes advantage of that."

The Walt Disney Company did not respond to FOX Business' multiple requests for comment.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/cost-disney-world-unaffordable-average-american-family

I was just there on Saturday and even though admission and parking are free because my brother-in-law is an employee, it was still an expensive day at the park. They are a money printing machine.

ThaVirus
05-23-2022, 10:11 AM
I've long thought the parks were way overpriced. I'm local so I can avoid all of the frill and yet a day at the park is still pretty expensive.

I can't imagine the bill for a family of four+ who comes from out of state. It has to be close to $5k all things considered, even when thrifting where you can. Those traveling internationally have to be approaching $10k.

Mr. Plow
05-23-2022, 10:26 AM
I've long thought the parks were way overpriced. I'm local so I can avoid all of the frill and yet a day at the park is still pretty expensive.

I can't imagine the bill for a family of four+ who comes from out of state. It has to be close to $5k all things considered, even when thrifting where you can. Those traveling internationally have to be approaching $10k.

My dad, sister, and her 2 daughters are going here in a couple weeks. It's costing the 4 of them somewhere between $5,000 - $6,000 for what I believe is 3 or 4 days at the parks.

BigBeauford
05-23-2022, 11:02 AM
We dropped about $7k on a 4 day 5 night stay (upcoming).

notorious
05-23-2022, 11:13 AM
Someone could buy my family the full package for Disney World and I wouldn’t go.

ThaVirus
05-23-2022, 11:25 AM
My dad, sister, and her 2 daughters are going here in a couple weeks. It's costing the 4 of them somewhere between $5,000 - $6,000 for what I believe is 3 or 4 days at the parks.

We dropped about $7k on a 4 day 5 night stay (upcoming).

Yeah.. I love Disney World and a ton of stuff the Orlando area has to offer, but even I couldn't justify spending so much on a Disney trip.

RedRaider56
05-23-2022, 12:01 PM
We went to Disney World a couple of years ago and including airfare it as probably close to $7K to go for four full days. I did learn that I would never pay for the park hopper pass again, as we ended up staying in a single area the entire day.

ThaVirus
05-23-2022, 12:06 PM
I suppose the positive is that you only drop that kind of coin one time. I bet the kids enjoy the magic, but I can't imagine even they'd want to go back to stand in hour-long lines in 95 degree heat.

For those of you who dropped $5k+, did you ever do it again or was once enough?

louie aguiar
05-23-2022, 12:08 PM
We went in January. It is ridiculously expensive. We stayed at a moderate Disney resort (Port Orleans). Once you factor in airfare, five nights and four days at the parks, Genie plus, food including character meals (way overpriced) we probably spent about $10k. Also, if you want to ride some of the big attractions such as Rise of the Resistance, the Avatar Ride, the Ratatouille ride, etc. you need to pay in addition to what you're already paying for Genie plus or wait in long lines (some as long as 3 hours). The kids loved it but we won't be going again.

Saulbadguy
05-23-2022, 12:17 PM
I use a Marriott Bonvoy credit card and we typically go once we've got enough points for a free stay at the Swan (or Swan Reserve).

WhawhaWhat
05-23-2022, 12:32 PM
We went in January. It is ridiculously expensive. We stayed at a moderate Disney resort (Port Orleans). Once you factor in airfare, five nights and four days at the parks, Genie plus, food including character meals (way overpriced) we probably spent about $10k. Also, if you want to ride some of the big attractions such as Rise of the Resistance, the Avatar Ride, the Ratatouille ride, etc. you need to pay in addition to what you're already paying for Genie plus or wait in long lines (some as long as 3 hours). The kids loved it but we won't be going again.

My sister does travel agent work and largely focuses on Disney. She knows all the ins and outs of Disney so I got to ride all 3 of those rides back in December with no extra charge and very little wait times and they're all pretty great.

Rise of the Resistance is the only one I would wait 3 hours for but only once. I love Star Wars so that ride was pretty cool.

ThaVirus
05-23-2022, 12:35 PM
I was a little disappointed with Rise of the Resistance, but only because I was expecting an actual roller coaster.

As far as a Star Wars simulation is concerned, I don't think they could have done much better. When they take you into that room where it's like you're in the Death Star looking out at the stars was fucking incredible.

It just wasn't as thrilling as I'd have liked.

The Flight of Passage ride was right up my alley though.

Mr. Plow
05-23-2022, 01:28 PM
Yeah.. I love Disney World and a ton of stuff the Orlando area has to offer, but even I couldn't justify spending so much on a Disney trip.

Yea, I've been to Disney World more times than I remember. My last trip was 2-3 years ago. I love going, but I won't go back at these prices.

RedRaider56
05-23-2022, 01:29 PM
I suppose the positive is that you only drop that kind of coin one time. I bet the kids enjoy the magic, but I can't imagine even they'd want to go back to stand in hour-long lines in 95 degree heat.

For those of you who dropped $5k+, did you ever do it again or was once enough?

Once was enough for me. If I'm going to drop that type of coin on a family vacation again, I can go to Hawaii for the same price, go to Costa Rica for cheaper..etc..

Eureka
05-23-2022, 01:44 PM
Disneyland in California might be a cheaper alternative.

My wife and I went a few years ago with her cousins. They've had season passes for about 10 years. He knew that park in and out. We barely waited in line at all with his fast pass setup. Seems we would go on one ride then go on another then come back to the first ride and the same people were waiting in line. Seems he would be worth big $ as a personal tour guide through that park.

Mosbonian
05-23-2022, 02:11 PM
That article is spot on. The talking heads at Disney have monetized any and everything you do to the point where I would be surprised if they install pay toilets in the park

We have gone to WDW for the past 20 years almost every year. We have been Season Pass holders since we moved here to Florida 6 years ago. We always go the 1st or 2nd week in December and have enjoyed it.....until last year.

Normally having season passes made it somewhat monetarily feasible. And we always budgeted for an expensive meal every other day. We ate breakfast in our room...came back for lunch and an afternoon break.

We still spent too much money...and didn't really buy anything much. I think I spent 67 bucks on a Marvel Spirit Jersey....

This is our last year for Season Passes. It's evident that Disney really doesn't value Season Pass holders and is focused on providing as little as possible for as much as they can get from you.

And this coming from a die hard Disney fan.

Spott
05-23-2022, 03:11 PM
My sister does travel agent work and largely focuses on Disney. She knows all the ins and outs of Disney so I got to ride all 3 of those rides back in December with no extra charge and very little wait times and they're all pretty great.

Rise of the Resistance is the only one I would wait 3 hours for but only once. I love Star Wars so that ride was pretty cool.

The millennium falcon ride is pretty cool as well. Heck, even the old Star Tours ride is a good time and it’s the older Star Wars ride so the wait times are like 5 minutes.

WhawhaWhat
05-23-2022, 03:23 PM
The millennium falcon ride is pretty cool as well. Heck, even the old Star Tours ride is a good time and it’s the older Star Wars ride so the wait times are like 5 minutes.

The Millennium Falcon ride is cool if you have adults driving, however I've always had kids in my group and they always want to drive. That means we end up running straight into the wall the entire time and it's a waste. Being inside the Falcon while waiting to get on the ride is pretty badass though.

MarkDavis'Haircut
05-23-2022, 05:28 PM
The company has gone down. Walt wouldn't recognize his creation.

ModSocks
05-23-2022, 05:34 PM
Last time i went to Disney Land security busted me for trying to sneak in my MJ vape pen.

Fucking Nazis.

ModSocks
05-23-2022, 05:35 PM
Last time i went to Disney Land security busted me for trying to sneak in my MJ vape pen.

Fucking Nazis.

Actually, that's wrong. That was Knott's Berry Farm.

THOSE guys are nazis.

Sorry, Disney.

alpha_omega
07-21-2022, 09:58 AM
Disney World descends into chaos as 2 families brawl in huge Magic Kingdom fight

A dispute between two families in line at Disney World turned ugly on Wednesday when the altercation escalated into an all-out brawl.

Somewhere in Fantasyland between Cinderella's Castle and Peter Pan's Flight, the warring families traded punches and profanity, as onlookers screamed in the background, Fox 35 reported. The fracas continued at the Orlando, Florida theme park for several minutes before park personnel and deputies broke it up.

"We came upon it, and it appeared as though it took about two minutes for two security personnel to arrive. Deputies arrived probably about five minutes after that," an eyewitness told the local Fox station.

According to the Daily Mail's reporting, the incident began when a female Disney guest waiting to get into Mickey's PhilharMagic realized she had left her phone on her electric conveyance vehicle and left the line to get it, while her family remained. When she returned, another family tried to block her from rejoining the line. Her family then reportedly waited outside the theater and confronted the other group.

"We don't appreciate you guys pushing my younger sister," one of them reportedly said to the other family.

From there, the confrontation devolved into a shouting match and then a physical fight before security and law enforcement got involved.

One of the men involved ended up hospitalized with a facial laceration with others suffering smaller bruises, the Daily Mail reported.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office confirmed the hospitalization and told Fox News that they arrested three people for misdemeanor battery.

Videos of the incident began popping up on social media but were later taken down. Footage of the brawl can still be found on the Walt Disney World News Today blog.

This is hardly the first fight at the Disney park this year. In May, deputies told Fox 35 a woman reportedly suffered bleeding on her brain after hitting her head on the ground during a fight she and her husband had with other park visitors as they tried to situate themselves before a fireworks show.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/disney-world-descends-chaos-two-families-brawl-huge-magic-kingdom-fight

louie aguiar
07-21-2022, 10:05 AM
Disney World descends into chaos as 2 families brawl in huge Magic Kingdom fight

A dispute between two families in line at Disney World turned ugly on Wednesday when the altercation escalated into an all-out brawl.

Somewhere in Fantasyland between Cinderella's Castle and Peter Pan's Flight, the warring families traded punches and profanity, as onlookers screamed in the background, Fox 35 reported. The fracas continued at the Orlando, Florida theme park for several minutes before park personnel and deputies broke it up.

"We came upon it, and it appeared as though it took about two minutes for two security personnel to arrive. Deputies arrived probably about five minutes after that," an eyewitness told the local Fox station.

According to the Daily Mail's reporting, the incident began when a female Disney guest waiting to get into Mickey's PhilharMagic realized she had left her phone on her electric conveyance vehicle and left the line to get it, while her family remained. When she returned, another family tried to block her from rejoining the line. Her family then reportedly waited outside the theater and confronted the other group.

"We don't appreciate you guys pushing my younger sister," one of them reportedly said to the other family.

From there, the confrontation devolved into a shouting match and then a physical fight before security and law enforcement got involved.

One of the men involved ended up hospitalized with a facial laceration with others suffering smaller bruises, the Daily Mail reported.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office confirmed the hospitalization and told Fox News that they arrested three people for misdemeanor battery.

Videos of the incident began popping up on social media but were later taken down. Footage of the brawl can still be found on the Walt Disney World News Today blog.

This is hardly the first fight at the Disney park this year. In May, deputies told Fox 35 a woman reportedly suffered bleeding on her brain after hitting her head on the ground during a fight she and her husband had with other park visitors as they tried to situate themselves before a fireworks show.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/disney-world-descends-chaos-two-families-brawl-huge-magic-kingdom-fight

the happiest place on earth

ThaVirus
07-21-2022, 10:14 AM
Sometimes I'm surprised there aren't more altercations, honestly.

You're already pissed off because you dropped $5k to bring your family, then you get there and it's hot as shit, hour-long lines everywhere, foreigners with no concept of personal space, etc.

Spott
07-21-2022, 10:28 AM
At least they all have matching shirts to celebrate the occasion. Happy 6th birthday Prince Amir.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-21-2022, 11:05 AM
Sometimes I'm surprised there aren't more altercations, honestly.

You're already pissed off because you dropped $5k to bring your family, then you get there and it's hot as shit, hour-long lines everywhere, foreigners with no concept of personal space, etc.

Good point.

I have been dozens of times and worked there in the DCP. It is a pressure cooker situation and with the gradual downgrade in the parks under the current leadership, I am surprised that most folks aren't losing it.

It is hot, pricey, many foreigners push through like they own the place (you don't know hell until a foreign tour group of 100+ barrels by), and upset kids.

Combine that with the recent reduction in humanity decency. Gonna be more incidents soon.

Mr. Plow
07-21-2022, 11:14 AM
I remember when Guru just "happened" to always schedule his Disney World visits during Gay Days at Disney.

Vladimir_Kyrilytch
07-21-2022, 12:20 PM
I remember when Guru just "happened" to always schedule his Disney World visits during Gay Days at Disney.

Is Guru a poster here? Who is Guru?

Because this exact storyline played out over a period of years on the Howard Stern show. It was High Pitched Eric and he loved Disney and had frequent stories of his trips to their parks, but he always went by himself.

Then someone, might have been Ralph, went through the timing of his Disney visits and realized they all were on Gay Days. At first High Pitch Eric denied it, or said it was coincidental, but it was very soon after that HPE came out of the closet as a homosexual live on air in a dramatic episode of the show.

Not sure what happened from there cause my Sirius radio subscription ran out.

Mr. Plow
07-21-2022, 12:36 PM
Is Guru a poster here? Who is Guru?

Because this exact storyline played out over a period of years on the Howard Stern show. It was High Pitched Eric and he loved Disney and had frequent stories of his trips to their parks, but he always went by himself.

Then someone, might have been Ralph, went through the timing of his Disney visits and realized they all were on Gay Days. At first High Pitch Eric denied it, or said it was coincidental, but it was very soon after that HPE came out of the closet as a homosexual live on air in a dramatic episode of the show.

Not sure what happened from there cause my Sirius radio subscription ran out.

I think he goes by 007 now. It was either coincidence that he was there, or it was just when his family could all get away. I just like to give him shit about it - but I'm not sure he'll see this. LMAO

Pablo
07-21-2022, 12:54 PM
My wife wants to go to Disney next year or something like that. Of course my son wants to go because his cousins all went this year. I'm gonna convince her there's better ways to spend 10 grand. Fuck that place.

ThaVirus
07-21-2022, 01:02 PM
My wife wants to go to Disney next year or something like that. Of course my son wants to go because his cousins all went this year. I'm gonna convince her there's better ways to spend 10 grand. Fuck that place.

Honestly, as a native Orlandoan (Orlandoite?) and someone who loves the area and theme parks, the only way it'd be worth it is if you made it a whole week of Florida vacationing.

Hit Disney/Universal for two or three days, go to the beach a day or two, hit a springs somewhere, go to the Space Center if you're into that, etc.

I couldn't imagine dropping $5-10k to stand in lines for an hour in sweltering heat for five days straight.

Spott
07-21-2022, 01:22 PM
Honestly, as a native Orlandoan (Orlandoite?) and someone who loves the area and theme parks, the only way it'd be worth it is if you made it a whole week of Florida vacationing.

Hit Disney/Universal for two or three days, go to the beach a day or two, hit a springs somewhere, go to the Space Center if you're into that, etc.

I couldn't imagine dropping $5-10k to stand in lines for an hour in sweltering heat for five days straight.

Yeah, that would be pretty brutal. I actually go to Disney fairly often but only because my brother-in-law is an employee and we get to go for free. I can’t imagine shelling out that kind of money to wait in line all day long just to go on a few rides.

SuperBowl4
07-21-2022, 01:31 PM
Have a Magical Day!

Eureka
07-21-2022, 05:41 PM

Isn't the weather good part of the year? I went to FL (Coastal) during winter months a few times and the weather seemed very nice. Maybe coastal weather is better?

I do remember being holdover in Orlando one night and it was really hot/humid during a nightly walk. F that stuff as I'm spoiled by CA Bay Area (no humidity) weather.

MarkDavis'Haircut
07-21-2022, 05:45 PM

Yeah with the way the parks are set up now, dropping in for just a day is a waste of money. It is a week long commitment now.

Spott
07-21-2022, 05:53 PM
Isn't the weather good part of the year? I went to FL (Coastal) during winter months a few times and the weather seemed very nice. Maybe coastal weather is better?

I do remember being holdover in Orlando one night and it was really hot/humid during a nightly walk. F that stuff as I'm spoiled by CA Bay Area (no humidity) weather.

It’s very nice here in the winter, although it’s probably still somewhat humid. A good time to go to the parks here is the week after Thanksgiving when it’s usually not too hot and all the big crowds have left.

Bearcat
07-21-2022, 06:34 PM
Yeah, that would be pretty brutal. I actually go to Disney fairly often but only because my brother-in-law is an employee and we get to go for free. I can’t imagine shelling out that kind of money to wait in line all day long just to go on a few rides.

I've been a couple times, but for free/deeply discounted from a friend who works there.

There was a reddit gif a while back showing several items in comparison to inflation and WDW was pretty insane. They do good work (at least they did 20 years ago) and if you have the disposable money, then yay.... I'd be surprised if altercations are uncommon though, when you're spending that kind of cash in the sweltering heat where the only thing worse than the temp is the humidity, standing in long lines, and if you forget water, you're paying $20 for a bottle on top of souvenirs and food and staying on potentially staying on WDW property, etc; that all probably makes buying a family pack of NFL season tickets look affordable and non-rapey.

BWillie
07-21-2022, 07:28 PM
I went to Disney World on Thanksgiving weekend and it was quite possibly the worst day of my life.

Spott
07-21-2022, 07:33 PM
I went to Disney World on Thanksgiving weekend and it was quite possibly the worst day of my life.

Other than New Year’s Eve, Thanksgiving Day/weekend is the absolute worst time to go there.

BigBeauford
07-21-2022, 07:47 PM
We just got back. It was fun, but it was also a helluva lot of work. The lines were long, it was hot, and all it takes is one ride breaking down to fuck your whole day's plans up with the way the lightning lanes work.

Eureka
07-21-2022, 08:15 PM
We just got back. It was fun, but it was also a helluva lot of work. The lines were long, it was hot, and all it takes is one ride breaking down to **** your whole day's plans up with the way the lightning lanes work.

Glad you had fun putting in Hella work and waiting in long lines in hot weather on your vacation.

ThaVirus
07-22-2022, 07:14 AM
Isn't the weather good part of the year?

Yeah, the weather here is great for a few months out of the year, but generally that is not the time when the most tourists are here. Orlando is in peak season from March-August, Thanksgiving week, and the last couple weeks of December.

You come March-August, when most people do, you're getting hit with the worst of the crowds and weather. You come during Thanksgiving and Christmas, you're getting great weather but terrible crowds.

January-February is, like, perfect park time, IMO. Weather is generally going to be around 75 degrees, no rain or storms, and no crowds. September-October crowds are light as well and a bit cooler but still like 85-90 degrees.

Idk. Just my opinion. And yes, the coasts are generally a bit cooler than Orlando. They've got an ocean breeze that central Florida doesn't.

Pablo
07-22-2022, 08:56 AM

I could see this being a nice trip. I can dig some beach time and I've read on this site that St. Pete has the best beaches in the WORLD so I would be fine with something like what you're proposing. Standing in lines in the heat and getting fleeced the whole time is just going to piss me off. I'd be calculating the dollar amount I was spending to sweat.

BigBeauford
07-22-2022, 09:08 AM
I could see this being a nice trip. I can dig some beach time and I've read on this site that St. Pete has the best beaches in the WORLD so I would be fine with something like what you're proposing. Standing in lines in the heat and getting fleeced the whole time is just going to piss me off. I'd be calculating the dollar amount I was spending to sweat.

If you haven't been cut in line by 8 French dickheads after standing in line for an hour because the one person ahead of you was saving their spot, then you haven't experienced the real magic of Disney.

Bearcat
07-22-2022, 09:12 AM

Oh man, imagine inviting 100-400 "real friends" and hanging out on the greatest beaches in the world to watch the hurricanes come in... that would make being in Florida downright tolerable.

Otter
07-22-2022, 09:16 AM
Two places I have absolutely zero desire to experience: Disney World and the top of Mt. Everest.

I can torture myself just fine on my own.

Bearcat
07-22-2022, 09:20 AM
Two places I have absolutely zero desire to experience: Disney World and the top of Mt. Everest.

The line to get to the top of Everest NEVER moves.

ThaVirus
07-22-2022, 09:40 AM

Hell yeah, bro. I'm not going to try to hype it up too much, because I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I would agree that some of the beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida are as good as any in the world, though. Powder white sand, clear water, no rocks/shells to step on, no sharks, hardly ever any jellyfish or seaweed, no one trying to hock you shit on the beach, chill family vibes, no crime.

I actually went to a beach I'd never been to a couple weeks back named Belleair Beach not far from Clearwater. We saw some dolphins and a live Starfish (my first time). It was nice.

Spott
07-22-2022, 09:49 AM

You should try the Everest ride at Disney World.

ThaVirus
07-22-2022, 10:07 AM
You should try the Everest ride at Disney World.

lol.. One of my favorites

Chief Pagan
07-22-2022, 11:03 AM
The line to get to the top of Everest NEVER moves.

It ain't the line to get to the top of Everest that is a killer. It's the line trying to get down as darkness/storms come that is a real killer.

BigBeauford
07-22-2022, 11:12 AM
On a positive note, the rides are amazing.Star Wars rise of the rebellion was an impressive experience, and the Guardians of the Galaxy coaster is the best roller coaster I've ever been on.

alpha_omega
01-16-2023, 12:24 PM
New TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom to be among Disney's fastest coasters

It's a new year, which means new attractions are racing into Walt Disney World, with one of the fastest coasters at any Disney theme park opening this spring.

TRON Lightcycle / Run will officially open April 4 in Magic Kingdom, inspired by the hit 2010 Disney film "TRON: Legacy"

The new attraction is set up to mimic the dazzling visual display from the movie's lightcycle battle and picks up with the main character Sam Flynn who has "opened a second gateway into a digital realm called the Grid," Disney Parks announced.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/GMA/tron-ride-disney-1-thg-230113_1673622421207_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

The first "portal" the character created is at Shanghai Disneyland with the original TRON Lightcycle Power Run, which opened there in 2016.

Upon entering the line at Magic Kingdom, guests will feel as if they have been digitized and are transported to "the Grid" for a special Lightcycle race.

Riders are on Team Blue vying against the Grid’s "menacing Programs," Team Orange. The goal is to race through eight Energy Gates first to secure victory.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/GMA/tron-ride-disney-2-thg-230113._1673622421209_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

According to Walt Disney World, this will be one of the fastest coasters at any Disney theme park in the world.

Ahead of the opening, cast members have been invited to enter the Grid during special previews. Annual Passholders and eligible Disney Vacation Club Members will eventually be granted early preview opportunities as well.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/new-tron-lightcycle-run-magic-kingdom-disneys-fastest/story?id=96415156

ku_jhawk23
01-16-2023, 12:36 PM
New TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom to be among Disney's fastest coasters

It's a new year, which means new attractions are racing into Walt Disney World, with one of the fastest coasters at any Disney theme park opening this spring.

TRON Lightcycle / Run will officially open April 4 in Magic Kingdom, inspired by the hit 2010 Disney film "TRON: Legacy"

The new attraction is set up to mimic the dazzling visual display from the movie's lightcycle battle and picks up with the main character Sam Flynn who has "opened a second gateway into a digital realm called the Grid," Disney Parks announced.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/GMA/tron-ride-disney-1-thg-230113_1673622421207_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

The first "portal" the character created is at Shanghai Disneyland with the original TRON Lightcycle Power Run, which opened there in 2016.

Upon entering the line at Magic Kingdom, guests will feel as if they have been digitized and are transported to "the Grid" for a special Lightcycle race.

Riders are on Team Blue vying against the Grid’s "menacing Programs," Team Orange. The goal is to race through eight Energy Gates first to secure victory.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/GMA/tron-ride-disney-2-thg-230113._1673622421209_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

According to Walt Disney World, this will be one of the fastest coasters at any Disney theme park in the world.

Ahead of the opening, cast members have been invited to enter the Grid during special previews. Annual Passholders and eligible Disney Vacation Club Members will eventually be granted early preview opportunities as well.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Travel/new-tron-lightcycle-run-magic-kingdom-disneys-fastest/story?id=96415156

I was at DW the week before Christmas. As much of a nightmare as that was, the Tron coaster was testing. I can say, it looked really fast. I'm disappointed that it wasn't opened, it's only a year and a half behind schedule. That being said, the new Guardians ride at Epcot is great, and easily the best ride in DW.

bdj23
01-16-2023, 12:43 PM
Disney World/Land sound like hell on earth anymore. Glad I got a chance to see it when I was little. Shan't be taking my kids.

displacedinMN
01-16-2023, 12:52 PM
I was at DW the week before Christmas. As much of a nightmare as that was, the Tron coaster was testing. I can say, it looked really fast. I'm disappointed that it wasn't opened, it's only a year and a half behind schedule. That being said, the new Guardians ride at Epcot is great, and easily the best ride in DW.

ditto on all of it

Disney is the greatest test of patience know to man kind.

I was in line for small world. There was a kid jumping in between lines, just being a kid. No big deal to me.

I looked at mom-she had three and dad was not really helping. I smiled at her and the dead pan look of desperation on her face was priceless. I felt sorry for her. She was done.

Disney is not the happiest place on earth. If it was, everyone would have a smile on their faces. Rarely do you see people smiling.

People everywhere that thing they have the right of way.
Standing in line for 1.5 hours for a 2 minute ride.
Everything is over priced.
watching overweight people shove into a 3mm space so they can see the parade and hold the kids on their shoulders

Good times man. Good times.

ThaVirus
01-16-2023, 01:36 PM
Sucks that everyone has had such negative experiences.

The parks really are awesome when done "right". And by "right", I basically mean being local, 'cause fuck spending $10k to bring your entire family to Orlando during the busiest and hottest times of the year.

If I can't go in September or February when it's cooler than usual and the lines are 10-20 minutes, I just don't go. It's nice to have that luxury. I know many people with kids in the area who just pop over for a few hours on a slow weekend and that's definitely the best way to do it.

Spott
01-16-2023, 02:49 PM
If you happen to go, I definitely recommend going on the Guardians of the Galaxy ride at Epcot. I just went on it again this weekend and it’s arguably the best ride at any of the parks.

alpha_omega
05-17-2023, 03:54 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dvRFql4HTl0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Plow
05-17-2023, 04:47 PM
Is Guru headed down for Gay Days at Disney again?

ModSocks
05-17-2023, 04:58 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dvRFql4HTl0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

smells like freedom.

Bearcat
05-17-2023, 06:19 PM

The parks really are awesome when done "right". And by "right", I basically mean being local, 'cause fuck spending $10k to bring your entire family to Orlando during the busiest and hottest times of the year.

If I can't go in September or February when it's cooler than usual and the lines are 10-20 minutes, I just don't go. It's nice to have that luxury. I know many people with kids in the area who just pop over for a few hours on a slow weekend and that's definitely the best way to do it.

Yeah, if I ever spend $10k on a vacation, it'll be in a different country and not fucking Orlando. LMAO

I mean.... kids are great though.

cabletech94
05-17-2023, 06:43 PM

The parks really are awesome when done "right". And by "right", I basically mean being local, 'cause **** spending $10k to bring your entire family to Orlando during the busiest and hottest times of the year.

Haven’t been since before the pandemic. But I HIGHLY recommend the end of Jan/first of February. Perfect weather, not as packed as the summertime surely is. Need to start planning the next trip!!

arrowheadnation
05-17-2023, 07:02 PM
We did an adults only trip back in 2018. Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. I had a great time. Granted, we weren't there for the rides (but we did ride our fair share using fast passes). The food was good. People watching was fun. Universal was awesome as well. We went in early March. Crowds weren't too bad at all. My advice to first timers is watch as many youtube videos on WDW trip planning as you can. They were extremely helpful. I'd definitely go again, just to see Star Wars Land/Batu which was under construction at the time. It was like going to Vegas for me...just stuff you can't see here in middle of nowhere KS.

BigRedChief
05-17-2023, 07:04 PM
Hell yeah, bro. I'm not going to try to hype it up too much, because I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. I would agree that some of the beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida are as good as any in the world, though. Powder white sand, clear water, no rocks/shells to step on, no sharks, hardly ever any jellyfish or seaweed, no one trying to hock you shit on the beach, chill family vibes, no crime.

I actually went to a beach I'd never been to a couple weeks back named Belleair Beach not far from Clearwater. We saw some dolphins and a live Starfish (my first time). It was nice.that’s at least the 30th best beach in the area. :rolleyes:

Bearcat
05-17-2023, 07:44 PM
that’s at least the 30th best beach in the area. :rolleyes:

That Belleair/Indian Rocks area is nice... wasn't crazy crowded like Clearwater (and that was freakin' January much less middle of the summer) and others. Spent a weekend on Marco Island, beach was really nice, but lucked out on a decently priced AirBnb out of all of the $1k/night hotel rooms. :eek: Siesta Key looked nice, but red tide was awful, between hacking up a lung and the dead fish.

Out of the SD/FL/SC beaches in the past several months though, I'd probably go back to a few beaches in SD* and SC before FL... quieter, less traffic/hassle getting there, not having massive rows of tents lining the beach, and better weather in terms of humidity levels not being insane.

*granted, SD also gets 'worst beach' on the list... Pacific Beach, with massive amounts of seaweed.

ThaVirus
05-17-2023, 09:00 PM
that’s at least the 30th best beach in the area. :rolleyes:

Fuck you

Third Eye
05-18-2023, 09:28 AM
Just did 7 days/6 nights at Disney World last week and it was... awesome. Best family vacation we've taken since having kids. We went with the priority of limiting stress, so we paid for the bells and whistles (stayed at the Polynesian, took a Lyft rather than the bus when it was advantageous, did the Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lanes when necessary). As a result, it was quite expensive and now I'm dealing with that, but it was worth it.

Stryker
05-18-2023, 09:39 AM
The middle daughter and son-in-law along with our 3 grand kids are leaving today to move to a nice house in Orlando conveniently located 20 minutes from Disney World. They have been to Disney probably about 6 or so times over the last 2 years now it will be in their own back yard. :thumb:

Gravedigger
05-18-2023, 09:45 AM
Just did 7 days/6 nights at Disney World last week and it was... awesome. Best family vacation we've taken since having kids. We went with the priority of limiting stress, so we paid for the bells and whistles (stayed at the Polynesian, took a Lyft rather than the bus when it was advantageous, did the Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lanes when necessary). As a result, it was quite expensive and now I'm dealing with that, but it was worth it.

Going next Spring for my daughter's band trip. We did the same thing at Disneyland last year where her school band went so we got a hotel close to the parks so we could walk over there, and when she got tired of her friends she could come meet up with us and ride rides together. It gave us our space to enjoy what we wanted, to relax, grab amazing breakfast, christen sheets, sleep in, can't wait for Disney World next year.

I wouldn't actively go to Disneyland, wasn't enough to do between two parks that are right across from one another, you could technically visit all of Disneyland in California if you wanted to in a day. With Disney World, all the fireworks shows, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Magic Kingdom and especially Epcot along with waterparks and Disney Springs. Orlando blows the pants off Los Angeles anytime. Epcot alone, just love Epcot, visiting all the different countries, still getting to enjoy the rides, food and drink it feels like a worlds fair more so than an amusement park.

mr. tegu
05-18-2023, 09:59 AM
I’ve been very disappointed in Disney World recently which sucks because we generally love it. For one, Genie + absolutely sucks. It’s an inferior product to fast pass even though it costs money and fast pass was free. Eliminating magic express is another big screw you to guests of really expensive hotels. I also don’t like seeing rides reskinned for whatever current thing is popular like guardians of the galaxy replacing tower of terror.

Third Eye
05-18-2023, 10:08 AM
I’ve been very disappointed in Disney World recently which sucks because we generally love it. For one, Genie + absolutely sucks. It’s an inferior product to fast pass even though it costs money and fast pass was free. Eliminating magic express is another big screw you to guests of really expensive hotels. I also don’t like seeing rides reskinned for whatever current thing is popular like guardians of the galaxy replacing tower of terror.

Interesting. We thought Genie+ worked great and was unquestionably worth the marginal cost. Granted, I never went when there was a free fast pass system, but I didn’t think $20 a person was a lot to ask for what it got us. Never stood in line longer than 15 minutes the entire time we were there.

Also, not sure what you mean about Guardians and Tower of Terror. Just did both last week with Tower being at Hollywood and Guardians being at Epcot. It’s funny you mention those two though as they were the only rides my 7 year old girl did not like!

As far as the Magic Express goes, I never rode it, so I really don’t have a frame of reference. With that said, my buddy who is in a much bigger Disney family than we are, hated the Magic Express and said it was always a cluster. To each their own though.

mr. tegu
05-18-2023, 10:27 AM
Interesting. We thought Genie+ worked great and was unquestionably worth the marginal cost. Granted, I never went when there was a free fast pass system, but I didn’t think $20 a person was a lot to ask for what it got us. Never stood in line longer than 15 minutes the entire time we were there.

Also, not sure what you mean about Guardians and Tower of Terror. Just did both last week with Tower being at Hollywood and Guardians being at Epcot. It’s funny you mention those two though as they were the only rides my 7 year old girl did not like!

As far as the Magic Express goes, I never rode it, so I really don’t have a frame of reference. With that said, my buddy who is in a much bigger Disney family than we are, hated the Magic Express and said it was always a cluster. To each their own though.

The issues I have with Genie + are quite a few, including the costs. $20 per day per person is a lot of money over the course of 4-6 days. Fast pass got you all if the genie + benefits plus more, all for free. Another issue is you can only have one ride reserved at a time so it makes it much more difficult to cluster rides in a certain location. Fast pass was three reservations to start your day. Then one at a time after that.

The other issue with Genie + only allowing one ride reserved at a time is that say if your first ride doesn’t start until 11 or noon which is common if you don’t get on the app early enough, all morning you have no access to the genie + you paid for while you wait for your first reservation.

And here is probably the worst thing about genie + functionality. You can only use it on a ride once per day. So if you really like just a few rides and want to do them repeatedly you can’t using genie +. This is especially problematic for little kids who tend to really gravitate to certain rides and only have limited ride options anyways.

I did magic express multiple times and never once had an issue. Not sure what your friend specifically had problems with but for us it was always as simple as getting off the plane and right on the bus within 15 minutes. Not having it just causes another big cost and hassle to get there and back. But I’m sure with an operation like that there are bound to be issues occasionally. If you didn’t have to now pay for parking at the resorts it wouldn’t be so bad as you could rent a car if you wanted to get to your resort.

Regarding guardians I guess that’s more of a generic complaint across all parks as guardians replaced tower of terror in Disney Land not Disney World. But I would prefer more unique ride creations instead new rides or reskinned ones seemingly now all being based on some movie. I get why they do it but I think they miss the big picture a bit attaching a specific product to every ride. I’m reminded of Men in Black at Universal. That ride just looks really sad and dated.

Third Eye
05-18-2023, 11:21 AM
The issues I have with Genie + are quite a few, including the costs. $20 per day per person is a lot of money over the course of 4-6 days. Fast pass got you all if the genie + benefits plus more, all for free. Another issue is you can only have one ride reserved at a time so it makes it much more difficult to cluster rides in a certain location. Fast pass was three reservations to start your day. Then one at a time after that.

The other issue with Genie + only allowing one ride reserved at a time is that say if your first ride doesn’t start until 11 or noon which is common if you don’t get on the app early enough, all morning you have no access to the genie + you paid for while you wait for your first reservation.

And here is probably the worst thing about genie + functionality. You can only use it on a ride once per day. So if you really like just a few rides and want to do them repeatedly you can’t using genie +. This is especially problematic for little kids who tend to really gravitate to certain rides and only have limited ride options anyways.

I did magic express multiple times and never once had an issue. Not sure what your friend specifically had problems with but for us it was always as simple as getting off the plane and right on the bus within 15 minutes. Not having it just causes another big cost and hassle to get there and back. But I’m sure with an operation like that there are bound to be issues occasionally. If you didn’t have to now pay for parking at the resorts it wouldn’t be so bad as you could rent a car if you wanted to get to your resort.

Regarding guardians I guess that’s more of a generic complaint across all parks as guardians replaced tower of terror in Disney Land not Disney World. But I would prefer more unique ride creations instead new rides or reskinned ones seemingly now all being based on some movie. I get why they do it but I think they miss the big picture a bit attaching a specific product to every ride. I’m reminded of Men in Black at Universal. That ride just looks really sad and dated.

I can say that I completely agree with being frustrated that you can only do each ride once, but I guess that’s one way to keep lightning lane congestion down.

We didn’t really have a problem with your second point though. Our goal was low stress, so we didn’t try to get there at rope drop. I’d wake up at 7, grab a lightning lane, then pass back out for a bit. By the time everyone was up and ready, we’d be ready to use our selection or we’d be eligible for one because of the 2 hour window.

GloryDayz
05-18-2023, 11:24 AM
Yeah, if I ever spend $10k on a vacation, it'll be in a different country and not fucking Orlando. LMAO

I mean.... kids are great though.100% this.

Pitt Gorilla
05-18-2023, 01:58 PM

Fast Pass is gone now? I thought it worked really well.

mr. tegu
05-18-2023, 02:37 PM
Fast Pass is gone now? I thought it worked really well.

It was too free.

Spott
05-18-2023, 02:44 PM
They should have a single rider option like Universal does.

mr. tegu
05-18-2023, 02:46 PM
I can say that I completely agree with being frustrated that you can only do each ride once, but I guess that’s one way to keep lightning lane congestion down.

We didn’t really have a problem with your second point though. Our goal was low stress, so we didn’t try to get there at rope drop. I’d wake up at 7, grab a lightning lane, then pass back out for a bit. By the time everyone was up and ready, we’d be ready to use our selection or we’d be eligible for one because of the 2 hour window.

With fast pass you could make your reservations as much as 60 days in advance so no need to set an alarm and fight everyone else for that first set of reservations. This was a huge perk to staying on Disney property that just went away with no perk to replace it. Also, the two hour window to book another starts from when park opens, not when you reserve, so if your first ride is at 11:30 am or later, yes you can book another before it starts, but you still can’t make that booking until probably 10 or 11 am as parks usually open at 8 or 9 am. It’s all just very anti guest experience to me. It’s no fun having to constantly get on your phone and being in a hyper competitive ride booking environment while on vacation.

mr. tegu
05-18-2023, 02:50 PM
They should have a single rider option like Universal does.

They do have those. I’ve kind of had good and bad experiences with it but that’s just really based on luck.

BigBeauford
05-18-2023, 02:53 PM
With fast pass you could make your reservations as much as 60 days in advance so no need to set an alarm and fight everyone else for that first set of reservations. This was a huge perk to staying on Disney property that just went away with no perk to replace it. Also, the two hour window to book another starts from when park opens, not when you reserve, so if your first ride is at 11:30 am or later, yes you can book another before it starts, but you still can’t make that booking until probably 10 or 11 am as parks usually open at 8 or 9 am. It’s all just very anti guest experience to me. It’s no fun having to constantly get on your phone and being in a hyper competitive ride booking environment while on vacation.

Yup, Genie+ blows. Gotta wake up at 7am and hope to book a ride, then you have to have a 2 hour recurring alarm to keep booking more rides, except after your 2nd ride, a lot of the others won't be available until later in the afternoon/night time, and to be honest our family started at 8am (or the moment the gates were open) and we were totally spent usually by 4pm.

Spott
05-18-2023, 03:14 PM
They do have those. I’ve kind of had good and bad experiences with it but that’s just really based on luck.

I haven’t seen them at Disney. I just see the standby line and the fast pass line when I go. I can never use the fast pass system because they aren’t available with employee passes(brother-in-law works there) so it’s always stand around and wait if we want to go on a ride.

Third Eye
05-18-2023, 04:05 PM

Yeah, it was a pretty smooth experience for me. Again, though, I can't compare it to what it was. I just know that we rode everything we wanted, never waited in lines, and was virtually stress free.