PDA

View Full Version : A pattern regarding Priest...

dtebbe
01-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Is it just me or is it starting to look like maybe Priest was/is a prick? I mean it just sounds like he doesn't have any real friends on the team, and that he does not realy talk to anybody.

I appreciate what Priest has done in KC, and agree that he has the right to be the way he wants, but I don't understand how you can go to battle with all those guys and not have someone say you are a great guy and a friend. Even T-rich seems luke warm about him, and Larry Johnson (Mr. Ice Cold) has said T-Rich is like a uncle or a father-figure to him. It just sounds like Priest may be a little beyond quiet and focused, again that's his right, but I don't get it. I'm starting to think he's a little more self-absorbed than he lets on.....

DT

MVChiefFan
01-12-2006, 12:02 AM
I have heard Roaf and Waters and others talk about what a pleasure it is to block for LJ way more than I've heard them talk highly of Priest. Maybe I've just not been listening at the right times, but it seems to be a valid thought.

NJ Chief Fan
01-12-2006, 12:02 AM
off topic and not trying to knock priest, but has he ever done anything for the oline that made him a millionaire?

Archie F. Swin
01-12-2006, 12:06 AM
He's in the twilight of his career and doesn't know where he'll be playing just a few months from now. I would be looking over my shoulder too. I honestly dont care if he's nice or cool or not. I was thrilled to witness his accomplishments as a Chief

Coach
01-12-2006, 12:09 AM
On one side though, Priest did take the O-line (or was it the whole offense?) to Hawaii for the Pro-Bowl, did he?

But yes, I thought of the same thing that you folks are thinking.

Sybil
01-12-2006, 12:11 AM
He's in the twilight of his career and doesn't know where he'll be playing just a few months from now. I would be looking over my shoulder too. I honestly dont care if he's nice or cool or not. I was thrilled to witness his accomplishments as a Chief

That's kinda my take. I don't know if "self-absorbed" is really accurate, but he is certainly reserved and doesn't communicate or express himself very well. LJ has great potential, but also has exposed a dark side he'll hopefully grow out of--or, at the very least, be able to suppress. Personally, Priest coming back to be a third down back and back up would be the best of both worlds, if the Chief's salary cap can accomodate it AND fix the "D" too.

dtebbe
01-12-2006, 12:15 AM
LJ has great potential, but also has exposed a dark side he'll hopefully grow out of--or, at the very least, be able to suppress.

My point is that I think Priest has that dark side too, it's just a different dark side. I think a 230 pound RB that's pissed off at the world just might be a good thing, but that's just me....

DT

Dunit35
01-12-2006, 12:16 AM
That's kinda my take. I don't know if "self-absorbed" is really accurate, but he is certainly reserved and doesn't communicate or express himself very well. LJ has great potential, but also has exposed a dark side he'll hopefully grow out of--or, at the very least, be able to suppress. Personally, Priest coming back to be a third down back and back up would be the best of both worlds, if the Chief's salary cap can accomodate it AND fix the "D" too.

Priest is a quiet player set to prove everyone wrong any chance he can get to. LJ is out to prove the same thing but lets everyone know it. While Priest quietly does it. Priest needs to take a paycut or he will be gondy. I love Priest, but I now have a mancrush on LJ. It was incredible watching Priest play but its time for him to step down.

Sybil
01-12-2006, 12:19 AM
My point is that I think Priest has that dark side too, it's just a different dark side. I think a 230 pound RB that's pissed off at the world just might be a good thing, but that's just me....

DT

Fair enough. But did you watch Jamal Lewis in 2005. Let's hope LJ doesn't start down that path....

Logical
01-12-2006, 12:20 AM
I am wondering what happened that precipitated this thread. A press conference or something?

Dunit35
01-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Fair enough. But did you watch Jamal Lewis in 2005. Let's hope LJ doesn't start down that path....

No doubt, as long as LJ stays away from his cell phone, he will be ok.

Johnson&Johnson
01-12-2006, 12:40 AM
He is after all a PRIEST.

Guys like him don't simply make friends or compliment his peers.

dtebbe
01-12-2006, 12:48 AM
I am wondering what happened that precipitated this thread. A press conference or something?

For me first there was him not letting the staff know anything about his injury.

Then it seemed one player after the next seemed to hint that Priest was not really thier favorite person.

Today Tony G. said hands down LJ should start next year, of coarse he should, but there was no sentimental feeling when the statement was made, kinda like Priest maybe does not fit in well in the locker room or something.

Maybe it's nothing, but it sure seems like fellow players welcome the change with LJ.

DT

Miles
01-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Today Tony G. said hands down LJ should start next year, of coarse he should, but there was no sentimental feeling when the statement was made, kinda like Priest maybe does not fit in well in the locker room or something.

Maybe it's nothing, but it sure seems like fellow players welcome the change with LJ.

DT

I definitly interpreted what he was saying today as the same. Seemed like he didn't really care that much for Preist and was quite happy to have LJ around. Then again it was a really quick few comments.

Mecca
01-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Priest is very weird.........He seems to me like a guy you think you know but you really know nothing about him.

Spicy McHaggis
01-12-2006, 01:11 AM
He's just a lone wolf type.

Halfcan
01-12-2006, 02:04 AM
On one side though, Priest did take the O-line (or was it the whole offense?) to Hawaii for the Pro-Bowl, did he?

But yes, I thought of the same thing that you folks are thinking.

Yes he did. I have met PH and he was very cool. My friend and his son go to RF every year and have met Priest several times. He even took Austins pic to put on his fondation's web site. Class act. This thread is stupid.

Wallcrawler
01-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Priest is a merc. Plain and simple. He's all business, and he plays for payday.

I dont really have a problem with that, as he has always come to play for the Chiefs. When he was on the field, he gave 100% and deserved every red cent the Chiefs gave him.

Hell, he broke the scoring record after his holdout, proving that his demand for more money was justified.

If keeping to himself and having somewhat of an unapproachable personality is the way he wants to be, power to him.

I love what he has done, and what he has meant to the team during Vermiel's reign here, but with his huge cap number, and Larry Johnson emerging and now being GROSSLY underpaid, Priest needs to recognise the fact that his prime has passed, and he should restructure, or move on.

Johnson is the future for this team, and right now his salary is just above that of an indentured servant by NFL standards.

He has done things that Priest has not done. 9 straight 100 yard games, and he broke the Chiefs franchise record for rushing in 8 less starts than Holmes.

Id love to see Holmes stay on as a situational back, and to come in when Johnson needs a breather, but not at what his current cap number is now. I dont really see Priest taking a pay cut, and that might be why he has such a seemingly ice cold exterior. It makes his business decisions much easier when he doesnt have to worry about friendships and other things like that.

Halfcan
01-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Players have praised PH a lot in the past, and he has tons of friends on the team. Guys that play just for money, don't dive over LBs into the endzone 15 times a season, landing on their head. Anybody not believing PH does not love the game-is sniffing glue.

jspchief
01-12-2006, 07:18 AM
I think Holmes is a bit of an introvert, I don't think he plays football to make freinds, it's all business.

I've always thought he seemed like he could be a bit of a dick. Of course, I'm convinced Gonzo is a dick, so I wouldn't take much from any of his comments.

Personally, I'm just glad Tony is getting in some acting this off-season instead of working on his failing speed or standing in front of a Juggs machine working the stone out of his hands.

morphius
01-12-2006, 08:50 AM
I have to go with a couple other people here, I just think he is a bit of a introvert. He probably has his core group of friends that he hangs out with and trusts, so doesn't feel the need to go out and make more. Could he maybe be kind of a dick, sure he could. But tell me who isn't a bit of one?

Bob Dole
01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
I definitly interpreted what he was saying today as the same. Seemed like he didn't really care that much for Preist and was quite happy to have LJ around. Then again it was a really quick few comments.

Of course Gonzo prefers LJ. Priest would never go clubbing with Tony.

SLAG
01-12-2006, 09:03 AM
From what I understand Priest is a Class Act all the way

Rain Man
01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
He's just a lone wolf type.

I'd lean toward this theory.

Bottom line: he's never behaved detrimentally to the team and he contributed about 6,000 yards and a zillion touchdowns. I'm happy with that.

Pants
01-12-2006, 09:45 AM
I have to go with a couple other people here, I just think he is a bit of a introvert. He probably has his core group of friends that he hangs out with and trusts, so doesn't feel the need to go out and make more. Could he maybe be kind of a dick, sure he could. But tell me who isn't a bit of one?

Yeap, I agree 100% with that, but I'd also like to add that one of the reasons players might like LJ a bit more is that he expresses his loyalty to them every time he gets a chance. That means he is probably a little closer to the team and might be a little more emotionally involved. Just a guess.

KCTitus
01-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Ive never met Priest or had a chance to get to know him. What Ive learned about Holmes has been done through newspapers and press releases. That does not qualify me to make a peronality assessment of the man.

As long as he's toting the rock for KC and scoring touchdowns, I really dont care.

Chan93lx50
01-12-2006, 09:49 AM
I am sure the Team holds a little resentment to Priest since he was never on the sidelines this whole season after his injury.

Kind of easy to forget about a guy when he is not there.

B_Ambuehl
01-12-2006, 09:57 AM
The reality is football is a business.....often it's a cut-throat business. Sure he's an asshole. But the fans, the management, the team, and the league don't care about him as a person. It only takes one game, one snap, or one slip in an interview to go from being hero to goat in the fans minds. It only takes one snap to go from all-pro to injured and done for good or the guy with the big salary to the guy on the unemployment line.

The average football career is three years. THREE YEARS. In that time span guys know they have to earn as much as they can as the reality is they will likely be thrown out to the wolves within 3 years. Pay attention to the guys on the middle and bottom of rosters. What you'll find is if you're not a hero that guys are rarely brought back for a 3rd year. Why is that? It's because retirement benefits kick in on that year and the team would rather throw guys out then have to pay them retirement. I have friends in that exact sitatuion. Guys who led their team in special teams tackles for 2 years straight getting cut for that exact reason. That's the kind of business people are playing with here.

Kylo Ren
01-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Is it just me or is it starting to look like maybe Priest was/is a prick? I mean it just sounds like he doesn't have any real friends on the team, and that he does not realy talk to anybody.

I appreciate what Priest has done in KC, and agree that he has the right to be the way he wants, but I don't understand how you can go to battle with all those guys and not have someone say you are a great guy and a friend. Even T-rich seems luke warm about him, and Larry Johnson (Mr. Ice Cold) has said T-Rich is like a uncle or a father-figure to him. It just sounds like Priest may be a little beyond quiet and focused, again that's his right, but I don't get it. I'm starting to think he's a little more self-absorbed than he lets on.....

DT

We've all loved Priest for 5 years. Let's not start bashing him now that he brings little value to the team. Geeeeeeeeeesh! :shake:

Brock
01-12-2006, 10:28 AM
I have friends in that exact sitatuion. Guys who led their team in special teams tackles for 2 years straight getting cut for that exact reason. That's the kind of business people are playing with here.

Tell them to come play for KC. They never get rid of anybody.

Chiefnj
01-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Personally, I'm just glad Tony is getting in some acting this off-season instead of working on his failing speed or standing in front of a Juggs machine working the stone out of his hands.

Tony always works with juggs in the offseason. That's why he's always smiling.

Gonzo
01-12-2006, 10:35 AM
It's always a shame to get disillusioned when you look at an icon. I have heard people say bad things about DT and try to ignore it. He was my favorite chief and still is.

Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man, two chicks at the same time, man.

King_Chief_Fan
01-12-2006, 11:57 AM
The only pattern worth discussing regarding Priest is his uncanny ability to work a half schedule, 3 out of 4 years.
What is next for Priest? I hope he realizes that his injury history has his value diminished and that his best shot at being a part of this team is to be the back up to LJ

Calcountry
01-12-2006, 12:45 PM
I am sure the Team holds a little resentment to Priest since he was never on the sidelines this whole season after his injury.

Kind of easy to forget about a guy when he is not there.Hey! Its cold on the sidelines. Don't you know that the Nacho sauce hardens too quick when you are out in that cold ass Kansas City Air?

Quick, we should demand that Carl hire a Head Coach that will kiss Priests ass, and we will all worship him like they do Farve up in Green Bay.

Believe this, the Green Bay packers are going to fug their franchise into the ground with Farve(sumbitch should change his spelling).

The guy is really starting to piss me off. Go away already, you make has beens look good. You were a has been when you were lobbing up that pick in the playoffs v Philly 2 fuggin years ago. Retire before they haul your ass out on a stretcher with a massive brain contusion.

Valiant
01-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Priest would have been a distraction on the sidelines.. Priest did what is best for the offense and did not cause drama by standing around... Its not like his injury allowed him to come back, he was done for the season and maybe more at the time of speculation on the injury..

Without Priest on the sidelines the only thing to talk about was LJ, not Priest...

Too say no one likes Priest on the team or in public is stupid... And getting an opinion from TonyG about is even more dumb.. I like TonyG as a player but the guy is a scum bag..

It is amazing how so many can turn on a player who gave his all on the field because he got hurt and did not want to stand on the sidelines..

Carlota69
01-12-2006, 01:00 PM
It struck me kind of weird when I read the PH wasn't even around most of the season, except the last game. I don't know, but If was on a team and injured, I'd still be hanging out rooting for my teamates...

Skip Towne
01-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey! Its cold on the sidelines. Don't you know that the Nacho sauce hardens too quick when you are out in that cold ass Kansas City Air?

Quick, we should demand that Carl hire a Head Coach that will kiss Priests ass, and we will all worship him like they do Farve up in Green Bay.

Believe this, the Green Bay packers are going to fug their franchise into the ground with Farve(sumbitch should change his spelling).

The guy is really starting to piss me off. Go away already, you make has beens look good. You were a has been when you were lobbing up that pick in the playoffs v Philly 2 fuggin years ago. Retire before they haul your ass out on a stretcher with a massive brain contusion.
How about Dallas. The dude didn't even show up in Dallas.

64 Chief
01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Priest has been a tremendous asset for the Chiefs. He has been one of the best ever free agent picks in the NFL. I hope he returns as a 3rd down back with a restructured contract. All Chief fans owe him a debt of thanks with no reservations.

Ultra Peanut
01-12-2006, 02:42 PM
He's just a lone wolf type.He's always struck me as quite introverted (especially by NFL standards), yes.

It is amazing how so many can turn on a player who gave his all on the field because he got hurt and did not want to stand on the sidelines..****ing piranhas.

Inspector
01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
Priest who???

(j/k)

vailpass
01-12-2006, 02:54 PM
There was a time not too long ago when several people on this board were swearing up and down that Priest was a HOF candidate.

There was a time not too long ago when almost all of you were ready to testify that Priest was the best RB in the league and surely the greatest Chief RB ever.

Now some of you are pissing on the guy because he doesn't want to exchange pen pal letters?

Like school on Sunday. No class.

phxchief
01-12-2006, 02:54 PM
As long as he's NOTtoting the rock for KC and scoring touchdowns, I really dont care.

C'mon, now... LJ = the toter. :)

DJJasonp
01-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Sometimes I think Priest is Priest because he's won a super bowl ring already and he doesnt have the same goals as many of the other players might....

PErsonal over team goals????

CaptainMorgan
01-12-2006, 03:42 PM
As far as I'm concerned, an introverted, class act like Priest Holmes is a breath of fresh air in comparsion to some of the ego maniac, me first, obnoxious SOBs that are in this league, and pro sports in general.

penchief
01-12-2006, 04:13 PM
1. Preist Holmes has been a great back for the Chiefs. He has given his team everything it could hope for and more. I like and respect Holmes.

2. Priest Holmes is a great back in the tradition of those backs who make the most of their abilities via hard-work and cunning.

3. Priest Holmes is about Priest Holmes first. Football is a business and Holmes has made it clear that he understands that aspect to it's fullest. "Getting paid" and "Team Priest" are good examples of how astute Priest can be when it comes to the business side of the game.

4. Priest plays both sides of the fence well. Because he says all of the right things that endear him to the fan base he somehow always seems to come out smelling like a rose even when he puts his own interests first. This year's season-ending injury is still a mystery that continues to place him beyond scrutiny. I still can't get over the notion that the Peterson-Holmes dance has more to do with money than anything. I have always felt that last year's season ending injury may have been one of convenience more than an inability to play considering that we were pretty much eliminated from playoff contention about the time he shut it down.

5. Priest was willing to accept favoritism from DV and to absorb the majority of carries while he was clearly being outplayed by Johnson.........without any acknowledgement that LJ deserved more carries or any sense of discomfort about the situation.

6. Anyone that listens to Fox Sports Radio has heard the clip where Priest Holmes emphatically states that he will be back and that he would not be willing to accept a diminished role when he returns. At what point does he not acknowledge respect towards LJ's incredible talent or his accomplishments?

In summary, Priest is a good person and has been a great NFL running back. I admire and respect his work ethic, his accomplishments, his personal accountability, and what he has done for the Chiefs.

However, I do not subscribe to the theory that he is beyond scrutiny. I believe that he has put himself above the team more than once and I believe that he has exhibited a willingness to accept favored treatment at the expense of the team's success. He's a good person and a great running back but he doesn't deserve to start ahead of LJ and he hasn't been the consumate team player that some people make him out to be.

JMHO.

RedNFeisty
01-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Priest has been a tremendous asset for the Chiefs. He has been one of the best ever free agent picks in the NFL. I hope he returns as a 3rd down back with a restructured contract. All Chief fans owe him a debt of thanks with no reservations.

Agreed!

I can not blame Priest for not wanting to be on the sidelines either. Who would want to watch their future go down the drain, he knew he wasn't going to be able to play ball the way he loves to play, so why be on the sidelines.

As for not having friends on the team, I know people that have worked at companies for years to not have anyone they would call their friend. Perhaps he doesn't like the mentality of the other players off the field.