PDA

View Full Version : Let's Recap, Shall we?

MahiMike
01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Step back 5 years...

DV and AS are hired to "do something" about the offense.

Carl says, "we always have a good defense here so don't worry about that. I'll take care of it."

DV and AS say, "we're cool with that." and fairly quickly build the best offense in the NFL - let alone the best one this team will EVER see.

So now it's all great. We're AVERAGING 37 points per game! Sweet!
One small problem. We're losing 37-39.

DV and AS say, "Dammit Carl! Where's the D?"

Carl says, "I know! We'll get Gunny back!"

"But what about the players?", they ask as they scratch their heads.

"Aw, Gunny will whip these pansies into shape. He'll take care of it."

"Ok but remember, our guys are getting old and peaking at the same time."

Skip to 2005 and the offense is still scoring twice as many points as any previous Chiefs regime. And...they're still losing games because of the D.

"I'm a lame duck coach and you'll never give me what you promised!", says DV to Carl.

"Don't worry. I have the perfect replacement for you.", snickers Carl.

"Well great because no one but Al deserves it more than him. Besides it's the ONLY way you'll get this average group of athletes to keep scoring.", says DV.

January 9, 2006. Herm Edwards is announced as the next head coach of the Chiefs. An offensive era has ended. Al Saunders has been snubbed and treated like a leaper in the NFL community. "Well if their own GM won't hire him...", stated one insider.

January 11, 2006. Herm Edwards says he'll retain the coordinator on the side of the ball that has cost them the Super Bowl 5 years running. Brilliant!

Skip to January, 2007...

(Boomer Esiason announcing) "Today's wildcard matchup is between the AFC West champs, the Oakland Raiders vs New England. In an amazing turnaround on offense, head coach Al Saunders has done a 180 with this team. His old team, the Chiefs finished 8-8, losing half those games by field goals."

And thus the end of an era...

jspchief
01-13-2006, 09:09 AM
...Skip to January, 2010

Waaa, Saunders isn't the head coach, I should post more whiny threads about it because the topic isn't hashed out.

Hoover
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Get over it dude.

The Longer Al Saunders is out there without a HC job, the more and more I think we made the right decision. If you want to follow Saunder be my guest.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 09:25 AM
It's actually worse than that. Carl refuses to believe that it could possibly be his players or hand-picked DC that could be the problem on D. He buys into the popular view that our D sucks because DV created a soft team, whatever the hell that means. The solution is to tell DV that ne needs a five year committment or whatever to stay on, which effectively retires DV, and allows him to bring in the savior for the D, Herm Edwards, who will magically improve the D by saying "We play defense."

DV, AS, and Mike Solari were the only part of this organization that was competent, and now at least 2 out of the 3 will be gone.

They taught the offense well. This unit isn't suddenly going to fall apart, but if we do have playoff success, it's not going to be because of Carl, it's going to be because of the offense DV and AS left behind, coupled with Lamar's checkbook patching up the D.

Gonzo
01-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Did anyone ever think that there might be a reason why Saunders isn't a head coach? Let's not sit here and think that he is the second coming of Hank Stram. Whatever team he goes to will be just like the chiefs. Scoring 35 points a game but losing by 40. Edwards is a defensive coach and that is what wins championships.

Dr. Evil: Let me tell you a little story about a man named Sh! Sh! even before you start. That was a pre-emptive "sh!" Now, I have a whole bag of "sh!" with your name on it

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Edwards is a defensive coach and that is what wins championships.

Having an O and D both in the top 10 is what wins championships. How many championships did Marty win here?

Gonzo
01-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Having an O and D both in the top 10 is what wins championships. How many championships did Marty win here?

How many should he have won if he had coached correctly? (I.E. Lin Elliott)

Dr. Evil: Let me tell you a little story about a man named Sh! Sh! even before you start. That was a pre-emptive "sh!" Now, I have a whole bag of "sh!" with your name on it

greg63
01-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Let's Recap, Shall we?
...Well ok; if you want to, but beer wont stay as fresh after a while that way.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 10:51 AM
How many should he have won if he had coached correctly? (I.E. Lin Elliott)

Zero. We never had a dominant team under Marty. His teams were not built for post-season success. His whole philosophy was based on exploiting the mistakes of other teams. Playoff teams don't make many mistakes.