PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards asks for permission to interview Jets DC Donnie Henderson

royr17
01-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards said he's requested permission to talk to some of his former New York Jets assistants. One person Edwards is believed to be interested in is defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson, but the Chiefs are bringing current defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham back. "I'm interviewing guys - obviously all the guys on this staff," Edwards said. "I'm not trying to keep any secrets, but I'm trying to get a hold of some guys and sit down and make some tough decisions.

This has been a good football team. It's got good football coaches, and I think sometimes when you make changes people think that the reason you make the change is because the coach is not a good coach. That has nothing to do with that at all."

royr17
01-13-2006, 11:19 AM
I believe he wants to interview Donnie Henderson for the Defensive Backs coach job.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Finish him.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Strange. Rumors of Henderson and Marinelli being interviewed. Would either come as anything but DC?

jspchief
01-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Thread title is a little misleading. Right now, it's nothing more than speculation that Henderson is the guy edwards is referring to.

jspchief
01-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Strange. Rumors of Henderson and Marinelli being interviewed. Would either come as anything but DC?Assistant Head Coach of the Defense.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Thread title is a little misleading. Right now, it's nothing more than speculation that Henderson is the guy edwards is referring to.

Flawless victory.

royr17
01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Donnie Henderson, Ass. HC/DB Coach, Marinelli Ass. HC/DL Coach.

Just what I see quite possibly.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Assistant Head Coach of the Defense.

Marinelli is already assistant head coach in tampa bay. Why come to KC if you won't get the credit for turning it around? I don't know about Henderson, he might come as Db coach/asst hc, but if Marinelli comes, it'll be his defense, not Gun's. Unfortunately, I don't think he will come.

Fish
01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
I like Donnie Henderson, and I really expected that he'd be up for DC before Gun would have been considered.... but it would still be great if we could get him as an asst. HC/DB coach. Lord knows our DBs could use him.....

Frankie
01-13-2006, 11:36 AM
I'll ask again:

Didn't Hermy and Hendy almost come to the point of punching each other out on the sideline last year?

nascher
01-13-2006, 11:36 AM
maybe Edwards would like to have NYJ DB and DL coaches not D.Henderson.

tomahawk kid
01-13-2006, 11:43 AM
I'll ask again:

Didn't Hermy and Hendy almost come to the point of punching each other out on the sideline last year?

No. I think that was Herm and the Running Backs coach.

The Bad Guy
01-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Henderson would be fantastic.

He was the Ravens DBs coach.

phxchief
01-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Don't see a current DC, rumored to have a shot at being a HC, go elsewhere - even if it is to work with someone familiar - and accept a lesser role like DB coach.

nascher
01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Edwards HC
D.Henderson DC
GC LB/Assistant HC
Norv Turner OC would be pretty good 3 guys with HC experience.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Edwards HC
D.Henderson DC
GC LB/Assistant HC

Id rather Mike Martz as an O-Coordinator, but Turner would be good to.

whoman69
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Edwards HC
D.Henderson DC
GC LB/Assistant HC
We currently have Gunther and Saunders as coaches with HC experience. Replace Saunders with Turner and that still leaves only 2.

Frankly I don't get the great appeal for Turner who has not run a top offense since he had three potential HOFers on his team at Dallas. Why anyone would want to let the guy who has proven he is the best coach on the team go to your closest rival is beyond me. Saunders might actually get the Raiders offense to the potential that Turner could not.

I still can't believe that Saunders wasn't given his shot given that Edwards has not done anything spectacular in New York. To compound that mistake by letting Saunders go would relegate this team to middle of the pack next year, if that. Without our high powered offense, this team would switch places with the Raiders for pecking order in the division. 5-9 anyone?

huskerdooz
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Don't see a current DC, rumored to have a shot at being a HC, go elsewhere - even if it is to work with someone familiar - and accept a lesser role like DB coach.

There is no guarantee Henderson is going to remain the Jets DC. After all the Jets are looking for a new HC as well. Maybe Herm is just trying to cover all the bases. Henderson would make a good addition to the Chiefs defensive staff in whatever capacity they could get him.

jspchief
01-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Marinelli is already assistant head coach in tampa bay. Why come to KC if you won't get the credit for turning it around? I don't know about Henderson, he might come as Db coach/asst hc, but if Marinelli comes, it'll be his defense, not Gun's. Unfortunately, I don't think he will come.Money is the only reason Marinelli would come IMO, and I don't think KC will offer him that much. I think the chances of getting Marinelli are very slim.

But this article isn't about Marinelli, it's about Henderson, who has a pretty good DB coaching resume.

kc rush
01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Frankly I don't get the great appeal for Turner who has not run a top offense since he had three potential HOFers on his team at Dallas. Why anyone would want to let the guy who has proven he is the best coach on the team go to your closest rival is beyond me. Saunders might actually get the Raiders offense to the potential that Turner could not.

Trent loves Turner. He credits him for giving him a shot and teaching him the system.

I would hope that if Saunders doesn't get a head coaching job somewhere, he returns as the OC. If not, Turner wouldn't be a bad option.

Infidel Goat
01-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Money is the only reason Marinelli would come IMO, and I don't think KC will offer him that much. I think the chances of getting Marinelli are very slim.

I don't know. If we offer him the same job title and same money, he might still come. Tampa Bay has routinely refused permission of teams that requested the right to interview him for defensive coordinator.

If we promise that we will not block such requests, he might well decide to leave Tampa Bay because of future career prospects . . .

--Infidel Goat

dj56dt58
01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
The thing is, I never saw anything where Edwards said he was keeping Gunther as DC. He said he would keep him as part of the STAFF. That means if he finds someone else he wants as DC, he could tell gunther he can stay as LB coach or something, and if he refuses, he can at least say he offered him a job to stay on the staff and he refused....

nascher
01-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I really doubt that without AS the offense would become
on of the worst in the NFL !!! With our players it would be hard for any OC not to land in the top 5 again.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Trent loves Turner. He credits him for giving him a shot and teaching him the system.

I would hope that if Saunders doesn't get a head coaching job somewhere, he returns as the OC. If not, Turner wouldn't be a bad option.

I think Turner is a good teacher, but I don't want him as a play-caller. If he can't even play blackjack, and determine the correct strategy there.....I don't want him as my OC.