PDA

View Full Version : WPI : Changes Ahead Saunders Out – Turner Next?

royr17
01-13-2006, 11:25 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/488496.html

Changes Ahead Saunders Out – Turner Next?
Turner could replace Saunders in KC as OC.

By Nick Athan
Publisher
Date: Jan 13, 2006

In the coaching carousal known as the NFL, a couple of hated AFC West rivals and their coaches could be swapping zip codes. Late Thursday night current Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders was in Oakland speaking with Raiders owner Al Davis. As soon as today or sometime over the weekend, Norv Turner could interview for the spot that might need to be filled Kansas City should Saunders accept the Oakland job.

You can say one thing about Kansas City Chiefs new Head Coach Herman Edwards, he’s thorough and it appears he knows who and what he wants on his coaching staff. He already indicated that he’s going to retain defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham despite the fact he’s trying to lure Donnie Henderson from the New York Jets and Rod Marinelli from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Both are candidates for head coaching jobs in New York and New Orleans but its clear that Edwards would like to snag them for his new defensive coaching staff. Each would be a significant upgrade to the organization as both are considered some of the very best defensive coaches in the NFL.

Edwards has already cleaned out some of the leftover coaching prospects from Dick Vermeil’s staff at One Arrowhead drive. He’s expected to shove a few more of the remaining assistants out the door within the next several days. That would lead many to assume that he’s concluded most of his in-house interviews and is going to center on meeting with coaches who are currently on other NFL staffs.

“There are certain guys you’ve met in your career as a coach that you feel you might like to add to the mix,” Edwards told reporters on Thursday. “At the end of the day the head coach has to feel comfortable about his staff.”

With that statement, Edwards appears to be narrowing potential assistant coaching candidates to a select few. However if he’s going to get some of the coaches that remain from Vermeil’s staff, he’ll need to do so before January 17th when all of their contracts expire.

It’s believed that both offensive line coach Mike Solari and quarterbacks coach Terry Shea will remain on the staff. Wide receivers coach Charlie Joiner had told some players in December that he was going to retire but that might change with the addition of Edwards as the teams 10th head coach.

Running backs coach James Saxon might join Al Saunders in Oakland if he accepts the job. Saxon is from the bay area originally and the chance to coach closer to home might be more appealing for the Chiefs likeable coach.

Another hot rumor around town is the fact that former Chiefs center Tim Grunhard could be a candidate to replace offensive line coach Irv Eatman who was let go earlier in the week.

Grunhard was a candidate to join Mark Mangino’s staff at the University of Kansas several years ago. However, he turned it down to concentrate on coaching local high schools and developing his radio career locally at 810 WHB and now at 610 Sports in Kansas City.

As for Turner, he was axed by the Raiders last week as their umpteenth Head Coach. His name has also surfaced in Buffalo first as an offensive coordinator but now he could be on the Bills short list of head coaching candidates.

Mike Mularkey resigned on Thursday evening and the Bills are scurrying to set up interviews. Reports have indicated that former New Orleans Saints Head Coach Jim Haslett might be the front-runner for the job. He’s also in consideration for the Detroit job but Lions General Manager Matt Millen continues his interview process. In fact, if Al Saunders does not accept the Raiders job this morning, he’s expected to finally meet with Matt Millen about the vacant job in Detroit later today. However the leader for the job now appears to be Pittsburgh Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm. People in Detroit are scratching their heads as to why he’d make a better candidate over Al Saunders but with the Lions anything is possible.

It’s also being reported that the Lions won’t be able to restructure the contract of quarterback Joey Harrington thus making him a free agent in March. In his current deal with the Lions, the much maligned quarterback is due over $30 million the next two seasons by Detroit.

Despite the fact the Chiefs signed CFL stud Casey Printers just two days ago, Harrington has been someone whom President and General Manager Carl Peterson has been enamored with for quite some time. It’s not known if Harrington’s appeal is one that Herman Edwards is fond of at this time. But don’t be surprised if he’s released by the Lions and that Kansas City is one of the first teams to bring him in for a free agent visit when the NFL’s meat market opens up on the first of March.

KCTitus
01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
In the coaching carousal...

I got this far...I mean really!

SPchief
01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Nick Athan has never reported that he's smart.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2006, 11:30 AM
http://chiefs.scout.com/2/488496.html

As soon as today or sometime over the weekend

ROFL

Maybe next week, maybe next year, sometime it'll happen.

KCTitus
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
ROFL

Maybe next week, maybe next year, sometime it'll happen.

Im hearing 3 weeks.

SPchief
01-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Anything is possible in Athanland.

I'm still waiting on the Lions to announce Saunders as HC

Hoover
01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Him I thought I read this from another reporter already.

I don't know if I want Grunhard as an Oline coach, I mean all he talks about is Pappa Johns Pizza in the Pre Season games he did.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Im hearing 3 weeks.

My sources tell me in 5 minutes.

Brock
01-13-2006, 11:34 AM
As early as Monday, our sources say.

Johnson&Johnson
01-13-2006, 11:35 AM
The whole story makes me sick to the stomach. Nick Athan is crap.

Saunders to Oakland? :cuss:
once you cross to the dark side, you are puke no matter what you've contributed to KC's offense in the past

Turner to KC as OC? :deevee:
Turner who is 2-12 vs AFC West foes is gonna run our offense and loose in our division

CP enamored with Joey Harrington? :banghead:
Mr. happy feet with zero confidence and no respect from his team mates

KCTitus
01-13-2006, 11:35 AM
As early as Monday, our sources say.

Hey! You're not supposed to say that...only in the PREMIUM section!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-13-2006, 11:36 AM

I would've payed for that shit.

ptlyon
01-13-2006, 11:39 AM

Funny, this is how far I got:

By Nick Athan

SPchief
01-13-2006, 11:40 AM

I thought the PREMIUM section had great information that you couldn't get anywhere else??

shakesthecat
01-13-2006, 11:41 AM
I won't believe these rumors until I read them on the Star bb.

Seek
01-13-2006, 11:46 AM
So when H. Edwards says that he is getting rid of some assistant jobs, because he is going with a smaller staff.

NA has to report a rumor basically saying IRV Eatman was not fired as a downsize as indicated by H. Edwards, but will be replaced by a Highschool coach, basically calling H. E. a liar.

There is no reason to post rumors like that Nick. If you are wanting credibility by readers, quit reporting crap like that.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
if merrill and athan had a kid ... what would it look like?

whoman69
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
:doh!: I actually read this before I saw the byline.

KCTitus
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
I thought the PREMIUM section had great information that you couldn't get anywhere else??

Clearly you dont get it...

The PREMIUM section is where people pay to get the information that you can get anywhere else from the only Chiefs fans with press credentials.

Seek
01-13-2006, 11:50 AM

Stripe - The head Gremlin, in the movie Gremlin.

ROYC75
01-13-2006, 11:52 AM

Rather how would he/she report and act ?

Gonzo
01-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I think he was a very good OC. Just a Shi**y head coach. Of course look at what he had to deal with in Oakland.

Mr. Laz
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Rather how would he/she report and act ?
and would it be anally incontinent?

Gonzo
01-13-2006, 11:55 AM
But then again he does have a catchers mit on his face.

Ultra Peanut
01-13-2006, 11:56 AM
We're talking weeks, not months.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 12:02 PM
I'd much rather go after Mike Martz as OC than Norv Turner. There is no comparison between the two. Has Martz been getting interview for HC jobs?

Mr. Laz
01-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I'd much rather go after Mike Martz as OC than Norv Turner. There is no comparison between the two. Has Martz been getting interview for HC jobs?
and you think people got mad about saunders not running the ball enough.

ROFL ROFL

Seek
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM

You would rather get a guy who took the best offense in the NFL and killed it as opposed to a guy who takes some of the worste offenses and improves offense everywhere he goes, except for the Faiders last year.

jAZ
01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
Spell Check sucks sometimes...

ca·rous·al (k-rouzl)
n.
1. A riotous drinking party.
2. Boisterous drunken merrymaking or revelry.

Skip Towne
01-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Could be, Turner could interview, spot that might need to be filled, It appears, he indicated, He's expeced to, would lead many to assume, Edwards appears, It's believed, Saxon might join, might be more appealing, Grunhard could be, reports have indicated, it's also being reported............well, you get the idea. Does this assclown really think he is a reporter?

tk13
01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Martz is a good offensive mind but I wouldn't want him unless Vermeil was standing there over his shoulder telling him to run the freaking ball.

SPchief
01-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Could be, Turner could interview, spot that might need to be filled, It appears, he indicated, He's expeced to, would lead many to assume, Edwards appears, It's believed, Saxon might join, might be more appealing, Grunhard could be, reports have indicated, it's also being reported............well, you get the idea. Does this assclown really think he is a reporter?

He may think that reporting whatever other reporters reports is reporting??

nychief
01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
He is a fraud.

FringeNC
01-13-2006, 01:28 PM
He is a fraud.

Yeah, kinda like the NYT's own Jayson Blair.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I think if Athan told me his sources were telling him the Sun will set this evening, I'd question it...

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Spell Check sucks sometimes...

ca·rous·al (k-rouzl)
n.
1. A riotous drinking party.
2. Boisterous drunken merrymaking or revelry.Heh...Maybe he was talking about the Vikings...

kc rush
01-13-2006, 02:24 PM

Her looks, his brain...thats a combination.

I think its about time we got an Athan smilie.

KChiefs1
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I think its about time we got an Athan smilie.

:hmmm:STFU

Eleazar
01-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Since when did the Lions move to Oakland?

beavis
01-13-2006, 03:43 PM
:shrug:

ptlyon
01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
:shrug:

ROFL

"As a survior of abortion.."

beavis
01-13-2006, 04:28 PM
ROFL

"As a survior of abortion.."
I thought "greased wookie" was a better fit.

WilliamTheIrish
01-13-2006, 06:14 PM

There will no posting of premium content on any public board...