PDA

View Full Version : Glory Road (2006) - My Review

irishjayhawk
01-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Disney’s Glory Road is another example of Disney’s attempt to capitalize on the world of sports. Disney released The Greatest Game Ever Played in 2005, Miracle in 2004 and Remember the Titans in 2000. While Disney sought to capitalize on golf, hockey and football respectively, this time they set sights on basketball. Each of those movies had an obstacle to over come. In ‘Titans’ it was racial segregation, ‘Miracle’ entertained the notion of teamwork and insurmountable odds facing a group of “just college kids,” and ‘Greatest Game’ showed of a child swinging at society’s age limit and financial status placed on golf. Glory Road is no different. This time Disney addresses the issue of dedication with a mix of racial undertones that highlighted the sixties.

Josh Lucas and Derek Luke along with a noticeably different Jon Voight star in the film. While Lucas’ performance was decent, it was underscored by the rest of the cast, including Luke, who didn’t seem to hide the fact that they were acting. It all seemed pretty artificial. Nothing spectacular in this category. Lucas’ problem is that it appeared he was too busy “trying” to convey the good coach, instead of “being” the good coach.

The music, eerily similar to ‘Titans’ at times, was mediocre. That said, it wasn’t annoying nor particularly bad taste in music, it just seemed out of place. The settings looked really good as did the make up effects. If truth be told, the movie excelled in every aspect, aside from the mediocre acting. And yet, I couldn’t help but notice how many times this Road has been traveled.

Traveled may be an understatement. The market is flooded with them. Coach Carter took issue with basketball. Admittedly, that movie was more from a coaching standpoint than a team or player standpoint. Nonetheless, ‘Glory’ debuted less than a year from ‘Carter’, which made it exceptionally hard for me to see why the market called for this movie, at this time. This seems to be another indication of the lack of originality within Hollywood.

Everything within the movie can be attributed to a cliche, overworked issue. Now, I don’t mean to say they can’t keep the story from being told, as this was a very good and entertaining story, but the issues within the plot, whether true or not, were over worked and cliche. Sadly, it was Disney’s fault these things have become cliche and overworked. In the three works mentioned in the opening paragraph, it is clear what they intend to do: milk money from sports fans coming to see an inspirational movie in the respective sport. Whether it’s the initial practice scene, highly reminiscent of a combination of ‘Carter’ and ‘Titans’ practice scenes, to the initial team disobedience, one athlete’s love affair, a question of the players attitudes, the racial tones as seen in numerous scenes within Glory Road and ‘Titans’ or the obvious “down at the half by double digits, coach makes a change and they come back to win” mantra, the cliche elements ruined what would have been a very good sports movie. It goes without saying that these may have been part of the story, and to that I respond: then Disney has not only overworked the sports market but the inspirational and “based on a true story” market. Either way, Disney should take note.

Bottom-line: Worth seeing if you want to see the basketball version of ‘Remember the Titans’ and missed ‘Coach Carter’ otherwise its a rental.
DVD Bottom-line: Unlike, ‘Miracle’ it is not worth owning. Settle for a rental, if that.

2.5 out of 4 stars

OR

2.5 out of 4 cans

For more of my reviews visit my website (http://pixelpolarity.com) always found in my options!

Ultra Peanut
01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Texas Western knocking off Kentucky was a big story, but sports movies tend to suck, so it's no surprise that this one's supposedly not terribly compelling.

Fish
01-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Are you taking over Can's reviews?? Cause he's our official movie review dude...... you gotta use the __ cans out of __

It's just not the same..........

irishjayhawk
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Well, not taking over I guess. I could do that, but then again, im not Can so it doesn't make much sense.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
I liked it better the first time i saw it. It was called Remember the Titans.

ChiTown
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm taking my kids to see it Saturday afternoon. I don't give a $hit what you "so-called" movie critics think.

:)

Deberg_1990
01-13-2006, 02:48 PM
IM a sucker for Bruckheimer flicks. IM sure it will be more of the same, but the man knows how to make entertaining flicks.

teedubya
03-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Im getting ready to watch this... should I post an OFFICIAL game thread about it?

teedubya
03-07-2007, 12:06 AM
btw, n00bs and kids playing the CP home game, this is excellent utilization of the search feature.

Braincase
03-07-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't like any movie where the Jayhawks get beat. Period. Even if Scott Bakula is the QB (and he went to KU, dammit!).

Saulbadguy
03-07-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't like any movie where the Jayhawks get beat. Period. Even if Scott Bakula is the QB (and he went to KU, dammit!).
I'm guessing that is why he didn't care for the movie that much. "Damnit, Jo Jo was in bounds!"

duncan_idaho
03-07-2007, 09:07 AM

I knew there was a reason I disliked Scott Bakula...

donkhater
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I like the Greatest Game Ever Played. I've read the book and Disney did quite a good job making it into a film.

Sully
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
I just wish someone would make a movie about some disadvantaged students, in which a teacher comes in with some revolutionary way of teaching them. I don't care what way it is, anything could be great... poetry, tearing sheets out of books... even ballroom dancing could work.

I can't wait to see someone make a movie like that.

Saulbadguy
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm pretty sure that was an episode of Quantum Leap.