PDA

View Full Version : A scenario for you insurance people.

luv
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I know someone who works for a local florist. They were taking $68 out of his check per pay period for insurance. They called him in yesterday to tell him that they were going to start taking the same amount of pay out for everyone, so his would drop to $48 per pay period. He was talking to another guy there who is older than him (and he's just over 50), and they had been taking out $132 per payperiod for his insurance! The younger ones that work there were only getting like $10 taken out.

Isn't that age discrimination? Every place I know of takes the same amount out for every employee. It just depends on if you have just you, you/dependent, or you/multiple dependents. I'm guessing someone found out they were doing this and complained to someone like the BBB or something. Now they're doing it right. I would say he would have a good chance of getting the money that is owed to him for the $20 per pay period (26 pay periods x 7 years) that he was overcharged if he went after them for it. What do you think?

Rain Man
01-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm not an expert on it, but it doesn't seem like age discrimination to me. They were charging him more because they were being charged more for him as compared to younger employees. It's just passing the cost through.

It does seem like it should be a voluntary participation in the plan, though, if the employees are paying for it. If it was mandatory that the money be taken out, I'd find that kind of odd.

stumppy
01-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Most health ins. premiums are based on age. Some groups however, average the premium of the whole company and charge everyone the same.

Donger
01-13-2006, 01:23 PM
I know someone who works for a local florist. They were taking $68 out of his check per pay period for insurance. They called him in yesterday to tell him that they were going to start taking the same amount of pay out for everyone, so his would drop to $48 per pay period. He was talking to another guy there who is older than him (and he's just over 50), and they had been taking out $132 per payperiod for his insurance! The younger ones that work there were only getting like $10 taken out.

Isn't that age discrimination? Every place I know of takes the same amount out for every employee. It just depends on if you have just you, you/dependent, or you/multiple dependents. I'm guessing someone found out they were doing this and complained to someone like the BBB or something. Now they're doing it right. I would say he would have a good chance of getting the money that is owed to him for the $20 per pay period (26 pay periods x 7 years) that he was overcharged if he went after them for it. What do you think?

All insurance companies 'discriminate' to a certain extent. It's a fundamental part of their business.

luv
01-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Most health ins. premiums are based on age. Some groups however, average the premium of the whole company and charge everyone the same.
That's what I got to thinking. I've never worked for a 'small' local company like that. The company I work for is local, but it has over 300 employees.

Inspector
01-13-2006, 01:26 PM
They charge different amounts for car insurance too. Heck, when I was a kid, they charged different amounts for guys than gals. Even if they were the same age and had the same car.

Insurance companies are kind of rich. Seems that way to me anyway.

Hoover
01-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Its legit.

My health care costs differ for the age and sex of my employees.

luv
01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
They charge different amounts for car insurance too. Heck, when I was a kid, they charged different amounts for guys than gals. Even if they were the same age and had the same car.

Insurance companies are kind of rich. Seems that way to me anyway.
Well, different people have different factors. I pay higher car insurance due to having a lead foot.

I just didn't consider in the size of the company when I was listening to him. I wonder what made them decide to switch?

Rain Man
01-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Well, different people have different factors. I pay higher car insurance due to having a lead foot.

I just didn't consider in the size of the company when I was listening to him. I wonder what made them decide to switch?

Heh. I'll bet the owner just had a birthday and got switched to a higher cost category.

And if your foot really is made of lead, maybe you can sue for some sort of ADA violation.

wilas101
01-13-2006, 01:53 PM
wish they only got me for 68 bucks. I'm paying 100/week. :(

greg63
01-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Heh. I'll bet the owner just had a birthday and got switched to a higher cost category.

And if your foot really is made of lead, maybe you can sue for some sort of ADA violation.

...American Dental Association??? :p :D

luv
01-13-2006, 01:57 PM
wish they only got me for 68 bucks. I'm paying 100/week. :(
While mine's not that high, I pay $73 per pay period for just health. Dental is an additional $9. And we don't have vision, not even through AFLAC, which I have my short term disability and accident through (which is also extra).

luv
01-13-2006, 01:58 PM
...American Dental Association??? :p :D
Americans with Disabilities Act. Something like that. Could just be American Disabilities Act. Not sure.

And, yes, I knew you were just kidding. :p

greg63
01-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Well gotta go to work; gotta pay those insurance premiums.

luv
01-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Well gotta go to work; gotta pay those insurance premiums.
I hear ya there. Have a good one.

Skip Towne
01-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Insurance companies also charge n00bs (under 25) more 'cause they're stoopid.

bkkcoh
01-13-2006, 02:12 PM
the company that i work for charges more for the same coverage the more you make. The CEO's philosophy on that was the person making 6 figures should pay more of the check then the person making less then 6 figures....

wilas101
01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
While mine's not that high, I pay $73 per pay period for just health. Dental is an additional $9. And we don't have vision, not even through AFLAC, which I have my short term disability and accident through (which is also extra).

maybe our insurance isn't all that outrageous then. I'm paying 100 bucks a week for family health with dental and vision.

I always thought it seemed a bit high but maybe not. /shrug

Seek
01-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Isn't giving Geezers a senior citizen discount Age discrimination, or letting kids under five eat free.

It is actually the cost of insurance that drives the premium cost. Insurance companies have what is called mortality tables. the older you get the risk of you dying increases.

A person who smokes, sky dives, Scuba Dives, Feeds Sharks, races motorcycles will also have a higher premium because they carry a higher risk. Even a person who has a DUI will cause their insurance rates to increase.

Just like a person who gets in a car wreck every year, you can bet their car insurance is going to be very high, because they are a high risk.

Seek
01-13-2006, 02:51 PM
This is also the same reason why you hear people say to buy the insurance while you are young. It is like a retirement play. The more money you put into while you are young the more cash value you have in your policy and it will not require you to pay more, when the Rates start soaring.

I don't sell insurance.

cosmo20002
01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
All insurance companies 'discriminate' to a certain extent. It's a fundamental part of their business.

Yes, insurance companies do because that's their business--to charge you according to your risk. But we're talking about the employer, not the insurer. Employers can't allocate benefits according to age, gender, race, etc.

alnorth
01-20-2006, 09:27 PM
My health insurance costs about $3,150/year, but my employer is paying for the vast majority of it on my behalf. I only have to chip in $58/month :)

Lurch
01-20-2006, 10:08 PM
My health insurance costs about $3,150/year, but my employer is paying for the vast majority of it on my behalf. I only have to chip in $58/month :)

Nice. Is your company hiring?

alnorth
01-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Nice. Is your company hiring?

Yeah actually, we are constructing another wing on our building by 2007 and another 7-story office across the street by 2008 because we've run out of room with all our expansion.

Ironically enough, I work at an insurance company's headquarters. (Property & Casualty Insurance, not Health)

Lurch
01-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah actually, we are constructing another wing on our building by 2007 and another 7-story office across the street by 2008 because we've run out of room with all our expansion.

Ironically enough, I work at an insurance company's headquarters. (Property & Casualty Insurance, not Health)

Do your worker training people do well?