PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Have the Winning Formula?

VonneMarie
01-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Clark Judge thinks we do!

Clark Judge
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Chiefs' winning formula to stop Brady: Get in his face

If I'm the Denver Broncos, the first thing I do in putting together a defensive game plan for New England this weekend is rewind the videotape to the Patriots' Nov. 27 loss to Kansas City.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9161312.jpg

Then I dial Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Say what you want about the Chiefs' defense, but nobody shut down Brady this year like Kansas City. It held him to one touchdown pass. It intercepted him four times. It sacked him three times. It held him to a season-worst 42.5 passer rating. And it buried him.

"You know what it's like in basketball when a guy's hitting 3-pointers and can't miss?" said Cunningham. "When you get in a zone? It doesn't happen very often, but we got fortunate."

You could say that. Or, you could say the Chiefs' performance was the residue of good planning. Yeah, I know, Kansas City has its issues on defense, but the Chiefs were improved this year -- particularly in the second half of the season -- and they rarely played better than they did that afternoon against New England.

Roll the tape, guys.

On the Patriots' first drive they gained nothing, with Brady throwing two incompletions. On their second series, Brady was intercepted. On their third, Brady was intercepted again. By halftime they had a field goal ... and nothing more.

"I felt we had a chance if we got in his face in the pass rush," said Cunningham. "You can't worry about him running because he doesn't like to move. He's the prototype drop-back quarterback, and if you give him time he will pick you apart.

"So we were looking to play more 'man' coverage and looking to contain. Then we'd mix things up with multiple coverages so he couldn't find that isolated receiver one-on-one with a guy -- because, if he did, he'd get the ball to him.

"So what happened is that we got in his face, with guys holding their hands high, and he threw high. He overthrew three receivers and we got three interceptions. As I said, we got fortunate. He had guys open, and his receivers are as good as any in the game, but he overthrew them."

The rest we know. Kansas City won easily 26-16, and Brady suffered his fifth loss in 11 games.

But the Patriots are a different club now. Brady is playing better. The left side of his offensive line, with guard Logan Mankins and tackle Nick Kaczur, is better. And he has third-down back Kevin Faulk, who was out against Kansas City.

"And thank goodness," said Cunningham. "He's vastly underrated as a runner and a receiver. He really helps them big-time."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9161236

If this is a repost, kick rocks.

VonneMarie
01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
But it still comes back to Brady, Tom Terrific when it comes to the playoffs. Nobody has figured out how to beat the guy in the postseason, with Denver the 11th to try.
Advertisement

"You know what I'd tell them?" Cunningham said of the Broncos. "Be careful how you blitz him because he'll get the ball out. I know Denver is very active with the blitz, but if you come with the same thing at him twice he's going to beat you with the home run. So I'd be careful before I'd go with an all-out blitz.

"Then, of course, I'd pressure him with defensive linemen in his face, and mix up your coverages behind. As I said, if and when he sees the same thing twice, he'll beat you. He's one of the smartest quarterbacks I've ever faced. He and Peyton Manning are going to outthink you and take their games to the next levels.

"They're both very patient, though Manning has gone more for the deep ball in the last couple of years. These guys (the Patriots) are really patient, and when you don't think you're going to get hit they come at you with a post pattern. You're going against one of the great minds; one of the great thinkers."

Ironically, Brady might have been the victim of his own undoing against Kansas City. Cunningham said he read some things Brady said before the game, where the quarterback suggested that he expected Kansas City to unleash a full-scale attack on him on third downs.

The Chiefs did not, with Cunningham estimating he blitzed Brady 10-12 times. Result: New England failed to convert six of its first eight third downs and didn't produce a touchdown until its eighth possession -- or, after the Patriots had fallen behind 26-3.

"Here's one more suggestion," said Cunningham. "Do not underestimate Tom Brady. If he makes a bad play he always comes back. And he comes back to hurt you.''

Hoover
01-13-2006, 03:38 PM
"So we were looking to play more 'man' coverage and looking to contain. Then we'd mix things up with multiple coverages so he couldn't find that isolated receiver one-on-one with a guy -- because, if he did, he'd get the ball to him."

Hmmm hey Gun maybe we should have done that all effin year?

jidar
01-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Hoover, shut it.
Seriously.
This shit is tired.

tk13
01-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Ironically, Brady might have been the victim of his own undoing against Kansas City. Cunningham said he read some things Brady said before the game, where the quarterback suggested that he expected Kansas City to unleash a full-scale attack on him on third downs.

That's pretty funny. One of the rare times where somebody admits to reading what somebody else said to the media...

Ralphy Boy
01-13-2006, 05:25 PM
"So we were looking to play more 'man' coverage and looking to contain. Then we'd mix things up with multiple coverages so he couldn't find that isolated receiver one-on-one with a guy -- because, if he did, he'd get the ball to him."

Hmmm hey Gun maybe we should have done that all effin year?

Well said. I was thinking the same thing, that and how bout we get our lineman to put their hands up more often.

That game fooled me a bit because, #1 it was the best win I've ever been to and #2 because it looked like we finally had everything clicking on defense, which in turn led to me getting my hopes up that we stood a chance at getting into the playoffs and ultimately being disappointed that we didn't.