PDA

View Full Version : Any veterinarians here? I have a cat...

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I got up this morning and she was holding her left front paw up. She limps when she walks or runs, but otherwise doesn't act like it hurts her. She will let me look at it and only gets pissy when I start really prodding around. Anyway, her pad (the main foot pad) is a little swollen, but I can't see any breaks, I don't seen anything sticking in... ideas?

MOhillbilly
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I got up this morning and she was holding her left front paw up. She limps when she walks or runs, but otherwise doesn't act like it hurts her. She will let me look at it and only gets pissy when I start really prodding around. Anyway, her pad (the main foot pad) is a little swollen, but I can't see any breaks, I don't seen anything sticking in... ideas?

leave it alone. If it gets worse in the next 24 hours see a vet. If it doesnt get better in the next 72 hours see a vet.

Phobia
01-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Antifreeze will clear it up in about 2 minutes.

Bob Dole
01-13-2006, 04:49 PM
Does your lawnmower have a height adjustment?

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2006, 04:50 PM
leave it alone. If it gets worse in the next 24 hours see a vet. If it doesnt get better in the next 72 hours see a vet.
Yeah, that's what I was doing anyway. Just thought I might get a head start on WTF is wrong with my cat. We were going to just keep an eye on her.

MOhillbilly
01-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, that's what I was doing anyway. Just thought I might get a head start on WTF is wrong with my cat. We were going to just keep an eye on her.

she could have just iritated it. just dont poke at it.

Bwana
01-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Does your lawnmower have a height adjustment?

Heh! It just seems like the right time to repost this: :eek:

Fire Me Boy!
01-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Not anymore... I did to begin with because I needed to make sure she didn't have a rock or something up in there. My real concern was that she might have gotten a piece of string tangled up around the pad (that happened to one of my parent's cats years ago).

MOhillbilly
01-13-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Rain Man
01-13-2006, 05:06 PM
I think that a pad infection is not particularly uncommon. It may clear up on its own, or it may not. I agree, then, with mohillbilly.

The most likely thing is that she's got a foreign object in her paw, but it sounds like you've ruled that out.

JBucc
01-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Something like that happened to my mom's dog. I took her to the vet and he just barely poked her foot and it exploded with all this pus and shit.Not that big of a deal really just don't wait too long to go to the vet. Once they clean all the bad stuff out it heals pretty fast.

Bwana
01-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Fire Me Boy! Chances are it will clear up on its own. If thats' not the case, can you give the cat a shot, or do you have to take it to the Vet? When I lived out in the country, there was always one of the cats showing up gimping around and most of the time (if there was nothing stuck in its paw) a CC of Penicillin would clear it right up.

Bwana
01-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Have you tried stabbing it in the face with a soldering iron?

Oh now you've gone and done it! blowfish will be by to light you up soon. :banghead:

Bob Dole
01-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Since nobody else is going to jump all over it.

It's probably nothing and she's just being a big pussy.

Calcountry
01-13-2006, 06:06 PM
leave it alone. If it gets worse in the next 24 hours see a vet. If it doesnt get better in the next 72 hours see a vet.Good advice, but if you are a cheap bastard like a lot of my customers, you might find a feed store and ask for a product called NFZ puffer if it festers on the surface. If the swelling is caused by a deep penetration, then it might need the tools and knowledge that only a vet can provide.

There are also products that soften the pad and prevent it from cracking or chafing, Tomlyn in the manufacturer and the product is called "protect a pad."

sedated
01-13-2006, 06:07 PM
my pussy hurts too

chiefs4me
01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
my pussy hurts too

:eek:

Archie F. Swin
01-13-2006, 07:10 PM
just give her a bath

gblowfish
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
She may have an infection from a slice, cut or bite. If she'll let you inspect the paw, try putting a little hydrogen peroxide on it with a Q-tip. If she's not better tomorrow morning, call your vet. Don't let it get worse. Your kitty will thank you.

Redcoats58
01-13-2006, 07:58 PM
Nothing a shot from a .357 behind the ear won't clear up.

HMc
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
5-6 minutes each side on the George Foreman.

HMc
01-13-2006, 08:04 PM
You might want to skin it first.

George?

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Good advice, but if you are a cheap bastard like a lot of my customers, you might find a feed store and ask for a product called NFZ puffer if it festers on the surface. If the swelling is caused by a deep penetration, then it might need the tools and knowledge that only a vet can provide.

There are also products that soften the pad and prevent it from cracking or chafing, Tomlyn in the manufacturer and the product is called "protect a pad."

Ive used NFZ a thousand times it is a great product. NU STOCK is also a very good product.

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 08:56 AM
The cat's fine now. She must have just pulled or strained something. Thanks for all the replies!

Rain Man
01-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Make sure she runs at half speed for a while. Those hamstring injuries can really linger.

Calcountry
01-16-2006, 11:10 AM
The cat's fine now. She must have just pulled or strained something. Thanks for all the replies!What a pussy! Next time tell her to shake it off and walk it out. :D

beavis
01-16-2006, 11:31 AM
That's gonna leave a hell of a mess.
No kidding. A .22 would the job fine, with not as much to clean up.

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 11:35 AM
I work in a Vet's office. We would tell someone calling in with these symptoms that if the cat is eating and using their box normally and isn't acting sick to watch for another day or two. If it isn't then you might get it to the Vet. Chances are there is an infection or something you cannot see that would not only be causing her pain but also her lethargy.

luv
01-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Probably just bruised it jumping on or off of something.

Phobia
01-16-2006, 11:54 AM
You might want to skin it first.

But how?

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I work in a Vet's office. We would tell someone calling in with these symptoms that if the cat is eating and using their box normally and isn't acting sick to watch for another day or two. If it isn't then you might get it to the Vet. Chances are there is an infection or something you cannot see that would not only be causing her pain but also her lethargy.

Are you for real? Did you go to school or get in on the ground level and work your way up? Whats the pay like?
If you went to school how long did it take,what cert. do you have or would i need to look into?

I ask because i am thinking about going back to vocational school and this is a field thats an option.

Bob Dole
01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Are you for real? Did you go to school or get in on the ground level and work your way up? Whats the pay like?
If you went to school how long did it take,what cert. do you have or would i need to look into?

I ask because i am thinking about going back to vocational school and this is a field thats an option.

You should probably find someone else to ask. She was born already knowing everything there is to be known.

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 12:03 PM

I found the position by starting at the front desk. The clinic I work for trains it's employees to do almost everything in the clinic except for vaccinations, surgery, and diagnosis. I've been doing this for almost a year. I love it. Many small clinics operate in this fashion to minimize their costs. Perhaps you might find one.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I found the position by starting at the front desk. The clinic I work for trains it's employees to do almost everything in the clinic except for vaccinations, surgery, and diagnosis. I've been doing this for almost a year. I love it. Many small clinics operate in this fashion to minimize their costs. Perhaps you might find one.

yeah i dont want to be just some flunkie,having many many hours of hands on exp. w/ animals i can already do most of what in house small animal vet clinics do.

Im more looking into a surgical/ER tech.

thanks anyway.

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 12:16 PM
yeah i dont want to be just some flunkie,having many many hours of hands on exp. w/ animals i can already do most of what in house small animal vet clinics do.

Im more looking into a surgical/ER tech.

thanks anyway.

Then you should get a VT certification. Or go the whole nine yards and become a Vet. You might enjoy working in an emergency clinic.

I am not that interested in the treatment/surgery part of the clinic. My knowledge is more the business office/client relations. But I assist on surgeries and in the treatment room as needed. I will say once you work with animals then it's hard to imagine not doing it.

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I was already doing that. But she wasn't AT ALL acting lethargic. As much energy as she always has, but didn't as much because it hurt her.

As for the pull... I'll make sure she just does walk throughs this week.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2006, 01:34 PM
anywhere to buy cat antibiotics without a prescription?

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 01:37 PM
A lot of times I think you can find some at farm supply stores. :shrug:

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
anywhere to buy cat antibiotics without a prescription?

yes. what kind?

NUMBER7
01-16-2006, 01:40 PM

As a veteran in cat care please do the following.

Clean up the pad with warm water on a washcloth and delicately dry the area. When dry apply a thin coat of Neosporin. The antibiotic will heal any wounds and also Neosporin has a numbing pain-killer similar in properties to lidocaine. If she is not better in the AM I would advise on taking her to a vet. Good Luck!!!

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Ummm... what if she's been fine for two days now? She was significantly better on Saturday and showed NO pain or effects on Sunday (or today).

NUMBER7
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM

What is the age and breed of your cat. Certain breeds and older cats are prone to develop arthritis.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/arthritis.html

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 01:46 PM
veteran in cat care
Is that anything like this?

http://www.catandkitten.co.uk/images/oldboy.jpg

or this?

http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/~rse/images/cat.jpg

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Ummm... what if she's been fine for two days now? She was significantly better on Saturday and showed NO pain or effects on Sunday (or today).

I would keep an eye on her then. Maybe she jumped off the sofa and landed funny...comparable to a sprain? Or, as another poster offered, she's beginning to show signs of arthritis. If she is acting fine, especially if she's eating normally, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 01:48 PM
What is the age and breed of your cat. Certain breeds and older cats are prone to develop arthritis.

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/arthritis.html
She's a mut and she's only four. Like I said, she's a total spaz -- she's been raised by humans since day two after birth (momma cat was killed) so she never quite grew from kitten stage, so I think there's a very good possibility she bruised her paw, or twisted/strained/pulled something.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
pff the ****ing cats fine.
FMB save that merk manual to your favorites-its a nice reference to have.

Fire Me Boy!
01-16-2006, 01:50 PM
pff the ****ing cats fine.
FMB save that merk manual to your favorites-its a nice reference to have.
already have! :thumb:

Mr. Laz
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
yes. what kind?
just general

kinda like these:

Cephalexin Liquid 250mg/5ml 100ml Bottle

Cephalexin is a broad spectrum antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections of the skin, urinary tract, respiratory tract, bones and joints. It is available as 250mg and 500mg capsules and as a liquid containing 250mg/5ml. When mixed with water the liquid should be kept in the refrigerator and any unused portion should be discarded after 14 days. The usual dose for dogs and cats is 5-15mg/pound by mouth every 8 to 12 hours.

Amoxicillin Drops 50mg/ml 15ml Bottle

Amoxicillin is a broad-spectrum penicillin antibiotic used to treat various infections caused by susceptible strains of bacteria. It is available as 100mg and 400mg tablets, 250mg and 500mg capsules and as drops containing 50mg/1ml. The usual dose for dogs and cats is 5-10mg/pound given by mouth every 12 to 24 hours. The duration of treatment depends on the cause of the disease and the response to treatment. When water is added to reconstitute the drops, the product should be stored in the refrigerator and any unused portion should be discarded after 14 days

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2006, 02:02 PM

YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE A VET! My dad was a vet and he could tell you all the stories about wining ass people bringing fufu to the clinic with a swollen paw or something, then the next thing you know you've killed their cat and their pissed off! He also sold lawnmowers and anti-freeze.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
The first one you can get over the internet the amox you can get in gelcap at a farmand home it will be sold under fish cillin or something similar.
You can mix the powder in the geltab w/ glycerin to give a oral dose.

But i am sure Revival vet or one of those places probably has liquid antibiotics,youd just have to order it.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 02:06 PM
YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE A VET! My dad was a vet and he could tell you all the stories about wining ass people bringing fufu to the clinic with a swollen paw or something, then the next thing you know you've killed their cat and their pissed off! He also sold lawnmowers and anti-freeze.

I dont want to be a vet.

Donger
01-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps your Dad wasn't a particularly good vet?

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Hey Laz are you in Spfld?

NUMBER7
01-16-2006, 02:10 PM
She's a mut and she's only four. Like I said, she's a total spaz -- she's been raised by humans since day two after birth (momma cat was killed) so she never quite grew from kitten stage, so I think there's a very good possibility she bruised her paw, or twisted/strained/pulled something.

Sounds by your description your cat is on the mend. Continue keeping an eye on her and by all means please do not give any type of antibiotics to a cat until it has been properly diagnosed. Believe me I have seen the results of improper medication. The Neosporin is about all I would recommend for now.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2006, 02:11 PM
I dont want to be a vet.

My bad. I guess what your trying to say is that you want to go to school to learn to answer the phone and clean up poo poo!ROFL

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but perhaps your Dad wasn't a particularly good vet?

He wasn't. He only had a 25% survival rate . And that includes the animals that were just brought in for vaccinations. If a cat needed neutered or declawed it was likee 10% survival rate. Where he really made his money was the lawnmowers and antifreeze.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 02:23 PM
My bad. I guess what your trying to say is that you want to go to school to learn to answer the phone and clean up poo poo!ROFL

I didnt say i wanted to be a vet tech i am looking into a cert vet tech that works in the surgical/er med. field.

I can already do 90% of the things a 'vet tech' can do.

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 02:45 PM
I didnt say i wanted to be a vet tech i am looking into a cert vet tech that works in the surgical/er med. field.

I guess the training you need would depend on how hands on you wanted to get within the surgical/er environment. If you already know what most VTs know and actually want to do more hands on then it sounds like you need to get the degree and put your knowledge to use.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I guess the training you need would depend on how hands on you wanted to get within the surgical/er environment. If you already know what most VTs know and actually want to do more hands on then it sounds like you need to get the degree and put your knowledge to use.

the problem is that i cant find anywhere local that i can go.

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 02:55 PM
the problem is that i cant find anywhere local that i can go.

Where are you?

Have you checked some of the reputable online colleges? Perhaps you can take most of your classwork online and labs would be done through a satellite location close to you? With your knowledge you may even be able to test out of some of the courses saving you $$$.

I haven't looked into it. My job sort of fell into my lap.

Rain Man
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
I could never work at a veterinary office. Any time a hurt animal came in, I'd start crying.

MOhillbilly
01-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Where are you?

Have you checked some of the reputable online colleges? Perhaps you can take most of your classwork online and labs would be done through a satellite location close to you? With your knowledge you may even be able to test out of some of the courses saving you $$$.

I haven't looked into it. My job sort of fell into my lap.

you have to have a two year degree in applied science- no big deal i can do that here.

And ive thought about the online colleges,but they kinda scare me off w/ all the BS you hear.

Mr. Laz
01-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Hey Laz are you in Spfld?
nope ... KC

thanks for that heads up on the fish-cillin :D

nice workaround :thumb:

http://www.calvetsupply.com/

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 03:19 PM
you have to have a two year degree in applied science- no big deal i can do that here.

And ive thought about the online colleges,but they kinda scare me off w/ all the BS you hear.

Well, I would definitely look into only colleges that have well known and established Veterinary schools.

Here is a link to some of the colleges with Vet programs. You might find a program with distance learning. It's worth a shot.

morphius
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
I could never work at a veterinary office. Any time a hurt animal came in, I'd start crying.
...and ever since I started saying that, I have been getting laid a lot more.

Bob Dole
01-16-2006, 03:23 PM

Which is what? Euthanize cats?

memyselfI
01-16-2006, 03:27 PM

I thought that too. But there isn't time. You have patients that need tending to and owners that are scared and worried. But I agree with you and that is why I couldn't work in an ER clinic. Too much stress. Especially with the senseless suffering. Like a kitten getting smashed and face broken in a Lazy Boy chair. Or an owner applying flea treatments for dogs to their cat. Or an owner giving their dog pork chop bones... :shake:

I could go on. It's just sad. The good part of that is that the two cats lived. The dog died.

Rain Man
01-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Stop it! Stop it! I'm starting to cry just hearing about it!

I tip my hat to the people who do that type of work.

savedin79
01-16-2006, 03:31 PM
UH! Go to the Vet, cheap scape.

Donger
01-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Or an owner applying flea treatments for dogs to their cat.

What happens if you do?

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I thought that too. But there isn't time. You have patients that need tending to and owners that are scared and worried. But I agree with you and that is why I couldn't work in an ER clinic. Too much stress. Especially with the senseless suffering. Like a kitten getting smashed and face broken in a Lazy Boy chair. Or an owner applying flea treatments for dogs to their cat. Or an owner giving their dog pork chop bones... :shake:

I could go on. It's just sad. The good part of that is that the two cats lived. The dog died.

Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and break out the lawnmower and antifreeze.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-16-2006, 03:40 PM
And theres nothing wrong with a dog eating Pork Chop Bones.

memyselfI
01-17-2006, 07:20 AM
What happens if you do?

Well it depends on the product used. If it contains a pyrethin (sp) then within 4-6 hours the cat starts to shake and then convulse and then basically is poisoned to death. It's a horrible death. If caught in time it can be treated. But we had a cat in an induced coma for three days while we flushed out it's system and waited to see if there was any lasting damage to it's internal organs. She survived but her nervous system was damaged. She shakes regularly now. But she was such a sweetheart and so brave.

As far as the pork chop bones, I'll take it you are kidding. They dog we saw couldn't digest the bones properly which caused his system to back up. Maybe punctured something internally, I can't remember exactly. He was dead within 12 hours because his owners didn't want to do surgery when there was not a good chance he'd live.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-17-2006, 07:25 AM
Well it depends on the product used. If it contains a pyrethin (sp) then within 4-6 hours the cat starts to shake and then convulse and then basically is poisoned to death. It's a horrible death. If caught in time it can be treated. But we had a cat in an induced coma for three days while we flushed out it's system and waited to see if there was any lasting damage to it's internal organs. She survived but her nervous system was damaged. She shakes regularly now. But she was such a sweetheart and so brave.

As far as the pork chop bones, I'll take it you are kidding. They dog we saw couldn't digest the bones properly which caused his system to back up. Maybe punctured something internally, I can't remember exactly. He was dead within 12 hours because his owners didn't want to do surgery when there was not a good chance he'd live.

Everyone knows you have to soak the Pork Chop bones in antifreeze first. Geeez!

Inspector
01-17-2006, 07:38 AM
Everyone knows you have to soak the Pork Chop bones in antifreeze first. Geeez!

Ahh, good point.

Details, gotta pay attention to details.

Fire Me Boy!
01-17-2006, 07:38 AM
I guess if she doesn't stop limping, I could see about getting some Bonsai Kitticulture permits.

Bob Dole
01-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Bob Dole still can't read the thread title without wondering why you're looking for a vet rather than an exterminator.

Bob Dole is about due for another litter of feral kittens under the house if anyone wants to come get them. Animal control sure as hell won't.

memyselfI
02-04-2006, 02:15 PM
We received no follow up on your cat... :mad:

Hope she is doing well.

Fire Me Boy!
02-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Sorry, she's fine. Must've just twisted something, or bruised it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-05-2006, 10:14 AM
I still recommend antifreeze.

StcChief
02-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Barn cat? Mouser yes.

For everything else. Antifreeze.