PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Man gets the shaft!

Halfcan
01-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Jesse James Hardy, owner of 160 acres of swampland in the Everglades, is forced to take 5 million dollars from the State of Florida.

Soon to be part of a state park, Florida evicted the man, who used $800,000 to buy a mansion and three acres up the road. They are going to tear down his shack he built from scrap wood, with his own hands. In a tearful goodbye, he bid farewell to his only friends, the catfish in a stocked pond.

For three generations, the disheveled, but happy man, lived in the swamp, but not anymore. He never wanted the money, and fought it for years until being shafted out of 160 beautiful acres of wetland, rivers, creeks, and shoreline.

Should the Government be allowed to take somone's land like that?

I say fight the power and let the swamp man live out his days in his home!

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Jesse James Hardy, owner of 160 acres of swampland in the Everglades, is forced to take 5 million dollars from the State of Florida.

Soon to be part of a state park, Florida evicted the man, who used $800,000 to buy a mansion and three acres up the road. They are going to tear down his shack he built from scrap wood, with his own hands. In a tearful goodbye, he bid farewell to his only friends, the catfish in a stocked pond.

For three generations, the disheveled, but happy man, lived in the swamp, but not anymore. He never wanted the money, and fought it for years until being shafted out of 160 beautiful acres of wetland, rivers, creeks, and shoreline.

Should the Government be allowed to take somone's land like that?

I say fight the power and let the swamp man live out his days in his home!

Should they? No. Will they? Where ever, and whenever they want to. That is our fair and compassionate government for ya. :shake:

Dunit35
01-14-2006, 12:36 AM
The gov. will do whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

Phobia
01-14-2006, 12:37 AM
Swamp Man? Hell, he's a damn Con-man. $5,000,000 for 160 acres? Hell, you could buy a lot of oceanfront property for that kinda mon-ay. I'll bet he has more friends than just the catfish now.

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Swamp Man? Hell, he's a damn Con-man. $5,000,000 for 160 acres? Hell, you could buy a lot of oceanfront property for that kinda mon-ay. I'll bet he has more friends than just the catfish now.

Agreed, but the fact remains that while by our standards the guy is a lot better off it is something that is unjustly forced upon him regardless of how much better off we believe him to be.

dj56dt58
01-14-2006, 12:44 AM
I guarantee they'll never take my property. I'd be waitin on the front porch with a ****in shotgun. Who wants to come take it? I'd be more than happy to pop a cap in their ass

Phobia
01-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't have a huge problem with it being turned into a park. I'd have a problem if it were taken from him to be given to some corporation. Now he gets more than fair compensation and everybody gets to enjoy the Everglades instead of just him.

pr_capone
01-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Agreed, but the fact remains that while by our standards the guy is a lot better off it is something that is unjustly forced upon him regardless of how much better off we believe him to be.

Ok then.... with that kind of money, he can buy another 160 of swampland in Louisianna, re-build his home with his bare hands and scrap wood, AND still have 4.75 mil left over to do whatever he likes.

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:47 AM
I guarantee they'll never take my property. I'd be waitin on the front porch with a ****in shotgun. Who wants to come take it? I'd be more than happy to pop a cap in their ass

Headlines: "Man Gunned Down Ending Stand off With The Government."

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Ok then.... with that kind of money, he can buy another 160 of swampland in Louisianna, re-build his home with his bare hands and scrap wood, AND still have 4.75 mil left over to do whatever he likes.

ROFLROFL

Sound argument, but still doesn't make it right.

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
I don't have a huge problem with it being turned into a park. I'd have a problem if it were taken from him to be given to some corporation. Now he gets more than fair compensation and everybody gets to enjoy the Everglades instead of just him.
Well, again, a sound argument, but it still isn't right regardless of how fair the compensation is.

dj56dt58
01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
Damn tanks :banghead:

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Damn tanks :banghead:

Yep!ROFL

Halfcan
01-14-2006, 12:57 AM

or

"People put on the streets for the new Sprint Center."

It was the man's home-and does not want the money. He could have gotten more from a greedy beachfront development Corp.

greg63
01-14-2006, 12:58 AM
or

"People put on the streets for the new Sprint Center."

It was the man's home-and does not want the money. He could have gotten more from a greedy beachfront development Corp.

Yup! sad, but true.

Halfcan
01-14-2006, 12:59 AM

Hell, he could buy half of New Orleans-lol comes with a slightly used Superdome he can live in.

pr_capone
01-14-2006, 01:01 AM
Hell, he could buy half of New Orleans-lol comes with a slightly used Superdome he can live in.

That would hit him for at least another quarter mil... leaving him with 4.5.

And really now..... we all know that 4.5 million is not a damn thing. :rolleyes:

greg63
01-14-2006, 01:02 AM

ROFLROFLROFL

Phobia
01-14-2006, 01:12 AM

You think so? I have a GREAT investment opportunity you need to get in on the ground floor NOW!!!

pak1983
01-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Shows you money cant buy happiness. Being content in being the swamp man is sound proof. **** the government. purely neocon shit.

greg63
01-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Yep! Well, I'm turning in early tonight.

Nite Planet!

Mecca
01-14-2006, 01:39 AM
After reading this, all I can say is, I wished I owned swamp land the government wanted.......

listopencil
01-14-2006, 04:32 AM
You don't like it when your own government pulls stupid, ****ed-up shit aimed at its own citizens? If you voted for these assholes it's your own fault. Stop voting for them.

http://www.ij.org/private_property/connecticut/

Here's a snippet:

...In 1998, pharmaceutical giant Pfizer built a plant next to Fort Trumbull and the City determined that someone else could make better use of the land than the Fort Trumbull residents. The City handed over its power of eminent domain—the ability to take private property for public use—to the New London Development Corporation (NLDC), a private body, to take the entire neighborhood for private development. As the Fort Trumbull neighbors found out, when private entities wield government’s awesome power of eminent domain and can justify taking property with the nebulous claim of “economic development,” all homeowners are in trouble...

“The specter of condemnation hangs over all property. Nothing is to prevent the State from replacing any Motel 6 with a Ritz-Carlton, any home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory.—Justice Sandra Day O’Connor

Guess what? It went before the Supreme Court and the NLDC won. There wouldn't even have been a fight in the first place if it wasn't for Libertarians.

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/May-June-2005/review_adler_mayjun05.msp

Here is their platform:

http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml

Rausch
01-14-2006, 04:57 AM
Guess what? It went before the Supreme Court and the NLDC won. There wouldn't even have been a fight in the first place if it wasn't for Libertarians.

http://www.legalaffairs.org/issues/May-June-2005/review_adler_mayjun05.msp

Here is their platform:

http://www.lp.org/issues/platform_all.shtml[/left]

You're preaching to the choir...

Bob Dole
01-14-2006, 06:57 AM
Apparently eminent domain (compulsory purchase, compulsory acquisition, expropriation...) isn't covered in school any more.

It's not a new concept, and it's been happening pretty much everywhere for hundreds of years.

Sure-Oz
01-14-2006, 10:16 AM
i'd take the 5 mill!!

Bob Dole
01-14-2006, 11:21 AM
FWIW, it was a pretty nice place as far as "shacks" go, and $800k doesn't buy a whole lot in that neighborhood...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/13/zarrella.bts/

Watch the 2:20 video to see both.

ROYC75
01-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Something about that land told me to buy it........ Like anybody else, it was a very wet wasteland and good for nothing but the local critters.