PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Sports Guy's Take On Jets Giving Up Herm

NaptownChief
01-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Funny Take...

Q: I saw that the Chiefs gave away a fourth-round pick in this year's draft in order to get Herm Edwards. Do you think the Jets' front office kept a straight face during the negotiations? My guess is the conversation went something like this: "So not only do we not have to fire Herm and eat the last two years of his contract, but Kansas City is going to GIVE us something for him? What, a kickoff tee? A fourth-round pick? SELL, MORTIMER, SELL, SELL!!!!!!"
--Patrick Callahan, Danvers, Mass.

SG: I loved that the Jets pretended to be outraged by the whole thing -- they were like college roommates who decide to throw out their junior year sofa because it smelled like holy hell, and then the guy across the hall stops by during final exams and asks, "You guys keepin' that sofa?" And suddenly they're selling him the sofa for two cases of Miller Lite, three bags of pretzels and three packs of Marlboro Lights. That was Herm Edwards. I'm sure the Chiefs fans couldn't be happier.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
It looks like the worst case scenario so far -- Give up draft picks for Herm, he retains Gunther, may bring in Heimerdinger as OC, and our whole offensive staff going to the Raiders. A ****ing nightmare.

Wouldn't we have been better off with Saunders as head coach, Marinelli as DC, and Solari as OC and our 4th - rounder?

NaptownChief
01-15-2006, 09:17 AM
It looks like the worst case scenario so far -- Give up draft picks for Herm, he retains Gunther, may bring in Heimerdinger as OC, and our whole offensive staff going to the Raiders. A ****ing nightmare.

Wouldn't we have been better off with Saunders as head coach, Marinelli as DC, and Solari as OC and our 4th - rounder?

Who knows how it will play out but if you look at it from a 30,000 foot view based on what is known so far in that Herm wants to leave the offense a lone....keeping Gun and the defense.....Then nothing on the surface should change other than who is giving the players their touchy, feeling man hugs. If that is the case then why not just plug in a guy that doesn't cost a draft pick as the figure head and remain status quo?

chiefsfaninNC
01-15-2006, 09:22 AM

I hadn't read where the whole offensive staff had been hired by Al Davis. Link?

Bowser
01-15-2006, 09:33 AM

No way in hell is Heimerdinger coming here. If Saunders isn't an option, it will be Norv Turner for no other reason than Trent feels so comfortable in the offense Norv runs.

CosmicPal
01-15-2006, 09:34 AM
No way in hell is Heimerdinger coming here. If Saunders isn't an option, it will be Norv Turner for no other reason than Trent feels so comfortable in the offense Norv runs.

Yep. That's the way I think it would pan out.

Although, I wouldn't be entirely disappointed in having Heimerdinger.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 09:40 AM

NY Post beat writer thinks differently. I'll find and post the link.

Skip Towne
01-15-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't want Hiemordengor. I can't spell it.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Westhoff and Heimerdinger, offensive line coach Doug Marrone, and possibly Henderson, are believed to be sought after by Herman Edwards in Kansas City. Henderson, though, would have to be defensive backs coach, because the Chiefs are retaining defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/61557.htm

From reading that, it appears we are already looking for a replacement for Solari.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 09:48 AM
I hadn't read where the whole offensive staff had been hired by Al Davis. Link?

I won't bother to repost, but it appears that the front-runner for the Oakland job is Saunders. Why wouldn't he take the whole staff with him? None of them are under contract.

tomahawk kid
01-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Westhoff and Heimerdinger, offensive line coach Doug Marrone, and possibly Henderson, are believed to be sought after by Herman Edwards in Kansas City. Henderson, though, would have to be defensive backs coach, because the Chiefs are retaining defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

From reading that, it appears we are already looking for a replacement for Solari.

I hope not. Hasn't New York's offensive line been mediocre (at best) the last few years?

If Solari leaves, I bet you can kiss Shields and possibly Roaf goodbye.

Bowser
01-15-2006, 09:50 AM

Thanks for posting the link, butI'm too lazy to register to read the article.

The reason I stand by Norv Turner is the fact that Trent has propped him up over the years since he's been here. Norv was the guy to bring Trent out of obscurity in Washington, and I believe our QB may have a little bit of pull with our President/CEO/GM/Grand PooBah with a hiring like this.

As for Heimerdinger, I know he was seemingly far more successful in Tennesse than he was with the Jets. I'm not sure if that's a reflection on his coaching or the Jets personnel, but if all things were equal, I'd take Turner.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for posting the link, butI'm too lazy to register to read the article.

You didn't miss anything else Chiefs related. Rest of the article was about Mangini and the Jets.

NaptownChief
01-15-2006, 09:57 AM
What is Heimerdinger's background in offensive philosophy? If he were to come in as OC I'm guessing that would require a change in system which would be exactly opposite of what Edwards said would happen. Does Heimerdinger have experience running a similar system as to what we have in place?

Also....if Solari may end up leaving which looks like a decent chance then why did he fire Eatman so quickly if we might need a OL coach and he doesn't want to change what was in place on offense?

A lot of things aren't making sense.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
What is Heimerdinger's background in offensive philosophy? If he were to come in as OC I'm guessing that would require a change in system which would be exactly opposite of what Edwards said would happen. Does Heimerdinger have experience running a similar system as to what we have in place?

Also....if Solari may end up leaving which looks like a decent chance then why did he fire Eatman so quickly if we might need a OL coach and he doesn't want to change what was in place on offense?

Heimerdinger is a WCO guy. I didn't think Herm and Carl would be stupid enough to mess with this offense.....but these Heimerdinger rumors won't die.

Bowser
01-15-2006, 10:01 AM

I seem to remember in Tennesse, his offense was down the field passing out of the one back formation. In NY, it looked like it was very West Coastish, with the dink and dunk crap.

Losing Solari would not be smart. And I thought I saw it posted somewhere that Solari had a year or two remaining on his contract?

NaptownChief
01-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Heimerdinger is a WCO guy. I didn't think Herm and Carl would be stupid enough to mess with this offense.....but these Heimerdinger rumors won't die.

Hmmmm...I'm going to let reality play out on the staff before I pass judgment on a bunch of rumors but if he brings in a WCO guy and scraps our current system then it is fair to say the non-trustworthy liar tag he left NY with could be very fitting.

If that is the case I would recommend that Herm stop worrying so much about foul language and but a lot more emphasis on something much more important like honesty. That is a far better characteristic to have than a clean mouth.

gblowfish
01-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Saunders, Edwards, Solari, Gunther.....whatever. Yadda Yadda Yadda.
The only thing that matters is season ticket renewal percentage.
If you were real Chiefs fans, you'd realize that.
And when was the last time I did squat with a fourth round pick anyway?
Just a reminder, first payment due in February.
Sincerely,
Carl Delano Peterson
LTGMIPS

NaptownChief
01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Saunders, Edwards, Solari, Gunther.....whatever. Yadda Yadda Yadda.
The only thing that matters is season ticket renewal percentage.
If you were real Chiefs fans, you'd realize that.
And when was the last time I did squat with a fourth round pick anyway?
Just a reminder, first payment due in February.
Sincerely,
Carl Delano Peterson
LTGMIPS

You left out this part:

ps I've got an owner that is too apathetic about football to hold me accountable so eff you...

Tribal Warfare
01-15-2006, 07:12 PM
This is just F*CKIN great, I can handle losing Saunders but if KC lets Solari go they are completely F*CKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

tk13
01-15-2006, 07:17 PM
Heimerdinger's a good OC. Let's just all freak out now. He comes from under Shanahan... he's a pretty good offensive guy.

NaptownChief
01-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Heimerdinger's a good OC. Let's just all freak out now. He comes from under Shanahan... he's a pretty good offensive guy.

In the stat that you put all the stock, rank in points scored he has been 13th, 12th, 14th, 5th, 15th and 29th as an OC...Not horrible but certainly a big step in the wrong direction for this offense.

And a side note, I remember Steve McNair making a comment at the begining of the season talking about Norm Chow and his style allowing a QB some flexibility yada, yada, yada....It was said in a fashion that was a bit of a slam on Heimerdinger...For what that is worth.

tk13
01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Let me let you in on a little secret. We have been the #1 offense in the NFL for the last 5 years. Anybody we hire not named Al Saunders is going to be a step down in terms of resume.

McNair can take a shot at Heimerdinger if he wants, but their offensive numbers were down across the board this year. The Titans put up those numbers with a broken down Eddie George and a QB who gets hurt every other week. We have superior offensive talent in KC.

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
In the stat that you put all the stock, rank in points scored he has been 13th, 12th, 14th, 5th, 15th and 29th as an OC...Not horrible but certainly a big step in the wrong direction for this offense.

And a side note, I remember Steve McNair making a comment at the begining of the season talking about Norm Chow and his style allowing a QB some flexibility yada, yada, yada....It was said in a fashion that was a bit of a slam on Heimerdinger...For what that is worth.

Yep. Heimerdinger might be a little above average, but Saunders and Solari were great. Also, we lose one of Trent's biggest attributes, which is effectively an OC on the field since he has been in this offense so long.

The more decisions Herm makes (retaining Gun, considering Hdinger) and the more I read about him (I've never read a column ripping a coach as a person like the one in the NY Daily News today about Herm), the more I see passing over Saunders for Edwards as the worst decision Carl has ever made.

CHIEF4EVER
01-15-2006, 07:36 PM
I didn't think Herm and Carl would be stupid enough to mess with this offense.....but these Heimerdinger rumors won't die.

Never underestimate Peterson's ability to make mediocre what is excellent.

Calcountry
01-15-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't want Hiemordengor. I can't spell it.ROFL

htismaqe
01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Yep. Heimerdinger might be a little above average, but Saunders and Solari were great. Also, we lose one of Trent's biggest attributes, which is effectively an OC on the field since he has been in this offense so long.

The more decisions Herm makes (retaining Gun, considering Hdinger) and the more I read about him (I've never read a column ripping a coach as a person like the one in the NY Daily News today about Herm), the more I see passing over Saunders for Edwards as the worst decision Carl has ever made.

You ASSUME we'll lose one of Trent's biggest attributes.

Trent has been playing football for 15 years or more. I'm pretty sure he can handle it.

tk13
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I mean really, Steve McNair won an MVP under Heimerdinger... it's not like he's not QB friendly or something.

Even Billy Volek has looked pretty good under him. Remember that MNF game last year in Tennessee? Heimerdinger torched Gun's D up and down the field about as badly as anyone has ever torched him. Volek and Drew Bennett looked like Manning to Harrison that night.

milkman
01-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I mean really, Steve McNair won an MVP under Heimerdinger... it's not like he's not QB friendly or something.

Even Billy Volek has looked pretty good under him. Remember that MNF game last year in Tennessee? Heimerdinger torched Gun's D up and down the field about as badly as anyone has ever torched him. Volek and Drew Bennett looked like Manning to Harrison that night.

Oh yeah, that's an accomplishment.

John Matrix
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Carl hired his friend instead of the right guy for the job. This franchise has been all about nepotism and the good old boy network for the last 15 years instead of what it should have been about, and that is winning MOTHERF*CKING football games.

Eleazar
01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Can I at least get one of those bags of pretzels?

FringeNC
01-15-2006, 09:27 PM

You don't fix what isn't broken. Our D is broken, not our offense. So we stay the course on D, and change up our offense?

Now ultimately I can't believe Carl would let him bring in a WCO guy. I read somewhere that Trent had really been lobbying hard to keep Saunders and the system. Just the fact the Herm would consider ****ing with our offense I find disturbing.

tk13
01-15-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't think we're going to stay the course on D. But we'll see. I don't think Herm will put up with the secondary play we've seen the last 5 years.

And to be honest, how much of the offense would we be changing? We were a different team at the end of the year. We pounded the rock with LJ 30-35 times a game. We were far more run based than any other time in the Saunders era. I honestly don't think we'd change that much, except maybe the presnap shifting and stuff.

In fact, I'd be surprised if a new OC ran the ball as much as Al did at the end of the year. We have a small window with an unbelievable RB and O-line... we must take advantage of it.

Mecca
01-15-2006, 10:45 PM

I'd take Mike Westhoff and Donnie Henderson, the rest of those guys, not so much.

milkman
01-15-2006, 10:52 PM
I'd take Mike Westhoff and Donnie Henderson, the rest of those guys, not so much.

HeimerD and Gunther C, live together in Hermony!

Mecca
01-15-2006, 10:58 PM
HeimerD and Gunther C, live together in Hermony!

ROFL Alright that was funny as shit man.