PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to SNL?

Archie F. Swin
01-15-2006, 10:20 AM
God ALmighty! Last night's episode was painful. Is it just me, or are the skits getting longer and longer? I mean, even if they're funny in the begining, the characters just keep riffing on the same joke and it gets old after about 90 seconds. I'm like "Ok, I get it, it was funny the first time, now its tired." I know these players are funny, they've made me laugh in the past, but something has gone wrong with SNL. The only thing I laughed at was the "Taco Town" commercial and Weekend Update. If it hadn't been for Death Cab I wold havd turned it off in 30 minutes.

Sure-Oz
01-15-2006, 10:20 AM
it sucks but i loved that narnia rap lol

Reaper16
01-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Its terrible nowadays. They struck absolute gold with "Lazy Sunday," but that seems like a fluke when paired with the material of the past year.

I keep telling my friend Jesse, a professional playwright, to go audition for a writing gig at SNL. I have not a single doubt that he'd make it and improve the show dramatically.

CosmicPal
01-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Even Taco Town got old.

I agree- I turned it off after the band played its' first song. The writing and the acting was the worst.

Sure-Oz
01-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Its terrible nowadays. They struck absolute gold with "Lazy Sunday," but that seems like a fluke when paired with the material of the past year.

I keep telling my friend Jesse, a professional playwright, to go audition for a writing gig at SNL. I have not a single doubt that he'd make it and improve the show dramatically.
What's preventing him from going then?

meStevo
01-15-2006, 10:45 AM
2 of the new guys are great (Sodeberg, Hader), but the rest of the show seems to still be on the decline that started when Farrel and then Fallon left.

Bowser
01-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Piss poor talent and piss poor writing. Tina Fey as Head Writer? Keenan Thompson, straight off of Nickleodeon? Come on. I think the show will improve dramtically when Tina Fey is no longer the show's head writer.

In the meantime, someone needs to break Darrell Hammond out of prison.

Reaper16
01-15-2006, 10:48 AM
He wants to finish up college. He's only a sophomore down at Missouri State.

beavis
01-15-2006, 10:57 AM
If it hadn't been for Death Cab I wold havd turned it off in 30 minutes.
I couldn't even make it through that Taco Town thing. I flipped around until Death Cab came on. The only draw the skits had last night was Scarlett Johansen's boobs.

RJ
01-15-2006, 11:14 AM
SNL is still on?

VonneMarie
01-15-2006, 11:26 AM
I miss the good ole days of Mango...

morphius
01-15-2006, 11:27 AM
He doesn't want to ruin his career before its started?

CoMoChief
01-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Ahhh the good old days of Norm MacDonald doing the weekend update. Thank God for comedy central so at least we can watch the good ones from the mid 90's.

pikesome
01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Hate to sound old but SNL hasn't been great since the "Not Ready for Primetime Players" and hasn't been any good since Carvey and Myers. It's not the performers, the writing has gone down the tubes. There have been some high points but mostly shite.

Frazod
01-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I remember watching the original cast, and about half of the stuff they did was pure unfunny shit, and that was pretty much every single week. You just don't see highlights of the bad stuff today. Trust me, it was there.

Personally, I thought the second generation of the cast (Eddie Murphy & Company) was consistently the funniest, but don't think that they didn't stink it up on occasion, too.

DomerNKC
01-15-2006, 12:35 PM
one of the major problems today is that when they find anything even remotely funny, they make a movie out of it. they do it before there is enough material for a movie, and the movie sucks. keep it on tv and as a short skit, and it is too funny.

KChiefs1
01-15-2006, 01:11 PM
The only draw the skits had last night was Scarlett Johansen's boobs.

They were the only things worth watching last night. BTW...does she show tit in that movie Match Point?

|Zach|
01-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Its just hit and miss IMO. It seems to be either really funny or downright awful. I think weekend update is funny on a consistant basis...

But like I said hit and miss...and the skits are a bit long.

I liked the Lazy Sunday thing though...heh.....

Girl acts like she never saw a 10 before...

|Zach|
01-15-2006, 01:49 PM
That skit with the band doing the intro song for the local news show was pretty funny.

Frazod
01-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Its just hit and miss IMO. It seems to be either really funny or downright awful. I think weekend update is funny on a consistant basis...

That's pretty much always been the case.

CoMoChief
01-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Norm MacDonald makes everything funny, his show sure did suck though.

Dunit35
01-16-2006, 01:01 AM
You know I never watch that show cause I dont think it is funny at all. When Farley and others were in it thats when it was funny. I will watch reruns of it on Bravo or whatever channel it is. I watch Mad Tv before Id watch SNL.

Bugeater
01-16-2006, 01:05 AM
The last funny thing I saw on SNL was Ashlee Simpson getting busted lip syncing.

Dunit35
01-16-2006, 01:07 AM
The last funny thing I saw on SNL was Ashlee Simpson getting busted lip syncing.

That was funny. Shes an idiot.

Phobia
01-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Does SNL have a fat guy? The show rides on the gut of a funny fat bastard. No funny fat bastard, no funny show. It's too bad all the SNL funny fat bastards keep dying in their prime.

tk13
01-16-2006, 01:14 AM
I watched like one skit, which was kinda funny, about the annoying dude buying the engagement ring. It did have the best line of the night... when asked what kinda ring he wanted... "Not something so big I have to work Saturdays or something so small my wife kicks me in the nuts." Something like that.

tk13
01-16-2006, 01:15 AM
Does SNL have a fat guy? The show rides on the gut of a funny fat bastard. No funny fat bastard, no funny show. It's too bad all the SNL funny fat bastards keep dying in their prime.
Horatio Sanz. But he couldn't play a dead guy without cracking up in the middle of a skit.

luv
01-16-2006, 01:16 AM
I think it has been going downhll since the Adam Sandler, Chris Farley days. Will Farrell and Chris Katan (sp?) are alright.

Miles
01-16-2006, 01:26 AM
I hardly ever watch it anymore but this bit was pretty good.

http://youtube.com/w/SNL-Narnia-Rap?v=1DHu2hO6_Bo&search=narnia%20rap

Boyceofsummer
01-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Will Ferrell as Harry Caray. I wish I could see that one again.

http://media.spikedhumor.com/2304/Harry%20Carey%20-%20Space%20the%20Infinite%20Universe.mpg

J Diddy
01-16-2006, 03:22 AM
Norm MacDonald makes everything funny, his show sure did suck though.

Norm sucked ass on SNL. That news shit sucked, nothing compared to Dennis Miller. His saving grace however was that he wasn't near as bad as that Colin fugger that was doing it; Personally I think the two doing it now aren't that bad.

redfan
01-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Piss poor talent and piss poor writing. Tina Fey as Head Writer? Keenan Thompson, straight off of Nickleodeon? Come on. I think the show will improve dramtically when Tina Fey is no longer the show's head writer.

Ding ding ding! That's what happens when you hire a Sista o' Saphho. Her viewpoint ain't based in the "normal" world. Nobody can relate.

redfan
01-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Will Ferrell as Harry Caray. I wish I could see that one again.

"It's an easy question Norm. Would you eat the moon if it were made of cheese?"

"If I was a hot dog..."
ROFL Classic stuff.

Radar Chief
01-16-2006, 08:47 AM

That was funny. Shes an idiot.

Heh.

Every man has a fantasy about Jessica Simpson. Mine is that she holds her sister down long enough for me to stomp on her throat.”

ROFL

PunkinDrublic
01-16-2006, 09:15 AM

That's what I've been saying. The guy who played fat albert has no business being on the cast. What's kept SNL alive all these years was at least one or two guys that were funny as hell and some really funny skits but whoever thought it was a good idea to cast nickalodeon boy needs to be shot.

the Talking Can
01-16-2006, 09:27 AM
with the exception of Farrell, the show has been terrible for about 20 years...at least...

Duck Dog
01-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Hate to sound old but SNL hasn't been great since the "Not Ready for Primetime Players" and hasn't been any good since Carvey and Myers. It's not the performers, the writing has gone down the tubes. There have been some high points but mostly shite.

I agree with this. Look at the big names that have come from SNL in the past compared to what they have now.

Brock
01-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Tina Fey is what happened to it.

CosmicPal
01-16-2006, 09:36 AM
with the exception of Farrell, the show has been terrible for about 20 years...at least...

Farley was a great cast member as well: The counselor dude who "lived in a van down by the river" and the Chippendales act were golden.

Eleazar
01-16-2006, 10:09 AM
The narnia skit was awesome.

SNACK ATTACK MUTHA *****

Radar Chief
01-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Farley was a great cast member as well: The counselor dude who "lived in a van down by the river" and the Chippendales act were golden.

Matt Foley, motivational speaker. (http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/169.html)

MichaelH
01-16-2006, 11:31 AM
I haven't watched SNL since the 90's when Farley was on. His Matt Foley skit was the funniest thing I can remember seeing on the show.
I wish it could go back to the show to watch on saturday late.

Rain Man
01-16-2006, 11:36 AM

I doubt that anyone even applies for the fat guy position any more, after knowing what has happened to the previous fat guys.

As for SNL, I think their news is better than ever, and I like the two gals on their news team. The rest of the show is very weak any more, though, and I agree with the original post: they take one joke and pound it into the ground so long that, even if it was funny at first, it makes you sad five minutes later. I seldom even see the show any more.

They have that one recurring skit of the couple that argues that's not funny, never was funny, and never will be funny. And yet whenever I see SNL, they're dragging out some new version of that atrocity. I don't see how they can even market that as comedy, because I doubt that anyone in America thinks it's humorous.

Bowser
01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Matt Foley, motivational speaker. (http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/169.html)

ROFL

Brilliant. Almost as good as Farley is watching Spade and Christina Applegate trying not to lose it.

Bob Dole
01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
ROFL

Brilliant. Almost as good as Farley is watching Spade and Christina Applegate trying not to lose it.

Seems like Bob Dole heard somewhere that the coffee table smashing wasn't actually in the script.

Still good stuff, even when you know what's going to happen.

Sully
01-16-2006, 12:09 PM

I disagree...

Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks... those were some funny MFers.

Sully
01-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I was wondering. Is there a website out there where there is a lot of SNL skits that can be downloaded? I always find myself wanting to explain some obscure reference I made, and wanting to show someone an old skit that I'm talking about.