PDA

View Full Version : Bing, Justice, Matua leave USC early for NFL draft

royr17
01-16-2006, 11:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2292593

Bing, Justice, Matua leave USC early for NFL draft
ESPN.com news services
click this

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California lost two more juniors to the NFL draft Sunday, when All-American safety Darnell Bing and tackle Winston Justice informed the school they would skip their senior seasons.

The Trojans have had five underclassmen declare themselves eligible for April's draft since losing the Rose Bowl to Texas, starting with running backs LenDale White and Reggie Bush, the Heisman Trophy winner and possible No. 1 pick in April's draft.

Guard Fred Matua announced that he was going pro on Saturday.

"To leave a great school like USC is hard," said Matua, who turned 22 on Saturday. "Any time you do something like that, it's hard. But I prayed about it, thought about it, and the opportunity's there and I'm trying to savor that."

Matua was an All-Pac-10 second-team pick last season. He said he entered the draft to help his family financially.

During his high school years, Matua's mother battled breast cancer.

"The hard work is in my hands," he said. "There are a lot of things that need to be done in my family. There's a lot of financial struggles that I have, there's a lot of financial struggles that need to be taken care of."

Matua said he hired Steve Feldman as his agent.

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the draft was Sunday.

Tim Tessalone, USC's director of sports information, said Bing and Justice told him they would be leaving for the NFL. The players weren't available Sunday for comment but intended to officially announce their decisions on Monday, he said.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Bing had 50 tackles and four interceptions this season.

Justice started every game after missing the 2004 season when he was suspended from school for flashing a pellet gun at a student. Both are considered possible first-round draft picks.

With Bing leaving early and senior Scott Ware out of eligibility, USC will have to replace both its starting safeties next season.

The departure of Justice means USC will have to replace three of its five starting offensive linemen, including Matua and senior guard Taitusi Lutui.

Before this season, only defensive end Kenechi Udeze, wide receiver Mike Williams and middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu had left for the NFL as underclassmen under fifth-year coach Pete Carroll.

SBK
01-16-2006, 11:29 AM
The Texans must have called Pete Carroll and told him they would draft his whole team with the first pick in the draft.

Dunit35
01-16-2006, 04:02 PM
I wonder how many USC players will be drafted in the first round.

jspchief
01-16-2006, 04:14 PM
I wonder how many USC players will be drafted in the first round.Most likely four. Bush, Leinhart, White, and Bing.

Bowser
01-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I wonder if Vince Young ever gave Darnell Bing his self respect back.

HolmeZz
01-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Dunno if Bing's going round 1. Apparently he got a 3rd round grade from the Draft Council.

jspchief
01-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Dunno if Bing's going round 1. Apparently he got a 3rd round grade from the Draft Council.Most of what I've seen has Bing as the first or second safety taken. He may drop to round 2, but I'd be shocked if he fell to 3.

Eleazar
01-16-2006, 04:29 PM
If he's there in the 2nd I hope we would select him.

Sure-Oz
01-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I thought Justice was supposed to be a stud.

HolmeZz
01-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Justice has been rising up everyone's draft boards. He's alot more likely to go round 1 than Bing.

And yeah, I'd be in favor of taking Bing in round 2.

Mecca
01-16-2006, 08:05 PM
If Mike Huff goes ahead of Bing, I'll laugh. Huff got trucked consistently against USC. Darnell Bing and Ko Simpson are the best safeties in this years draft.

jspchief
01-16-2006, 08:53 PM
If Mike Huff goes ahead of Bing, I'll laugh. Huff got trucked consistently against USC. Darnell Bing and Ko Simpson are the best safeties in this years draft.Is Laron Landry staying in school? I haven't heard either way, but I'd put him up there above Ko Simpson

SCTrojan
01-16-2006, 09:08 PM
I thought Justice was supposed to be a stud.

Justice is a pure athlete, and will wow them at the combine.

His drawbacks are that he is susceptible to the speed rush, he needs to improve his footwork (goes hand-in-hand with the speed rush thing), he's not a high motor guy, and he had some off-the-field issues at school.

He's got the physical tools, and when he wants it, he's a monster. He could be a perennial all-pro or a pedestrian kind of guy who shows up every now and then.

Mecca
01-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Is Laron Landry staying in school? I haven't heard either way, but I'd put him up there above Ko Simpson

Good question, but I'd bet money if he comes out he doesn't get past the Cowboys.