PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to improve officiating in the NFL?

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 02:09 PM
check out a book called "Interference" and you'll have a whole new perspective on the link between the NFL and vegas. Officials almost always lean towards either the home favorite or the vegas odds favorite and/or the bigger market team. It's all about money. Notice how many more calls and freakish occurences the Giants get then any other team. There's a reason for that. Keep an eye on penalities against the offense and penalties against the defense. There are subtle ways officials can control the game without being too blatant about it.

I swiped this post from another board, but it does make you wonder what the state of officiating is after this past weekend.

I also heard that a player, I don't remember who they said or what team he played for, commented about the officials cheating so a certain team could win. The guy on the radio assumed this guy would be fined big time by the league. Stay tuned for further developments.

FloridaMan88
01-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Use full time refs.

The NFL is a billion $$ business so they can afford to pay full time refs. Make it so their only job is being a ref and have them go through extensive year-round training, etc.

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Use full time refs.

The NFL is a billion $$ business so they can afford to pay full time refs. Make it so their only job is being a ref and have them go through extensive year-round training, etc.

I think that would be preferrable to what they are doing now. We have some less than accurate calls currently.

ChiefFripp
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
...And you'll notice that the calls get even more blatantly bad during the playoffs, maybe because more money is on the line? After watching the horrible officiating during the playoffs this season, I'm more than willing to go the conspiracy route about these officials lining their pockets.

Bob Dole
01-16-2006, 03:21 PM
I also heard that a player, I don't remember who they said or what team he played for, commented about the officials cheating so a certain team could win. The guy on the radio assumed this guy would be fined big time by the league. Stay tuned for further developments.

That would be Joey Porter talking about Peyton Mannin and the Colts.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133893

chief52
01-16-2006, 03:22 PM
check out a book called "Interference" and you'll have a whole new perspective on the link between the NFL and vegas. Officials almost always lean towards either the home favorite or the vegas odds favorite and/or the bigger market team. It's all about money. Notice how many more calls and freakish occurences the Giants get then any other team. There's a reason for that. Keep an eye on penalities against the offense and penalties against the defense. There are subtle ways officials can control the game without being too blatant about it.

I swiped this post from another board, but it does make you wonder what the state of officiating is after this past weekend.

Matt;

Your post is 100% Bull Sh@t! 100% Not one statement of fact.

greg63
01-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Use full time refs.

Yup!

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Matt;

Your post is 100% Bull Sh@t! 100% Not one statement of fact.

You missed: I swiped this post from another board, but it does make you wonder what the state of officiating is after this past weekend.

And you missed Bob Doles link to:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133893

<A name=287937>Steelers | Porter criticizes the officials
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:01:35 -0800Michael Rosenberg, of the Detroit Free Press (http://www.kffl.com/link/157), reports Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.kffl.com/team/30/nfl) LB Joey Porter (http://www.kffl.com/player/1520/nfl) was not very happy with the officiating after the team's playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts (http://www.kffl.com/team/19/nfl) Sunday, Jan. 15. "It's tough enough to play against the Colts (http://www.kffl.com/team/19/nfl) themselves," Porter said. "When you have to play against the Colts (http://www.kffl.com/team/19/nfl) and the refs, it's a much harder game." Porter will probably be fined by the league for his comments.

chief52
01-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Use full time refs.

This should be done. Not only would the present officials be full time, it would encourage the best to take on this profession if they could make a great living at it. It would drastically increase completion I would think.

meStevo
01-16-2006, 03:28 PM
All this consipiracy talk, you sound like a bunch of Raider fans.

Dunit35
01-16-2006, 03:29 PM
Fine them for bad calls.

Bob Dole
01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
If we were talking about KC getting the reacharound, you might have a point.

Alas, we are not.

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:36 PM

I was backing Indy on Sunday until I saw the most egregious call ever in my lifetime.

The interception that wasn't made me wonder if the official wasn't reviewing the play but talking to his trainer that said he had to overturn the call because Indy was supposed to win the game and they were behind.

Rain Man
Use full time refs.

Don't the officiating jobs already pay more than $100K per year? I've never figured out why they're not full time already, just from that perspective.

Other potential changes that I would suggest would be:

1. As someone mentioned on a past thread, some sort of laser/GPS technology to precisely measure forward progress.

2. Perhaps add a new official who is just a "ball follower." Their only job will be to watch the travels of the ball and add another set of eyes regarding sideline catches, bobbling, fumbles, forward progress, etc.

Phobia
Bob Dole can't say "we". Bob Dole says "If Bob Dole and the rest of ChiefsPlanet were talking about KC getting the reacharound, you might have a point.

Alas, Bob Dole and the rest of ChiefsPlanet are not."

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Fine them for bad calls.

Fine em Hell!! Arrest them for screwing up as badly as the guy did in the Indy/Steelers game!

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Don't the officiating jobs already pay more than $100K per year? I've never figured out why they're not full time already, just from that perspective.

Other potential changes that I would suggest would be:

1. As someone mentioned on a past thread, some sort of laser/GPS technology to precisely measure forward progress.

2. Perhaps add a new official who is just a "ball follower." Their only job will be to watch the travels of the ball and add another set of eyes regarding sideline catches, bobbling, fumbles, forward progress, etc.

Some of the refs are professionals - Lawyers and the like. Al Conway was a rep for a company (I do not remember what or who he represented) but he was making a good living without the NFL. He was #58 in stripes.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Use full time refs.

What do you mean...it is a full time job...they get paid 5-6 times the national average for American Salaries. But I do agree with full time training.

ptlyon
01-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Something tells me Porter will be picked on on Sunday.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I think the first thing you do is get rid of instant replay. They have adjusted to it and rely on it. Besides...I think the game should be called at full speed....not frame by frame.

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I think the first thing you do is get rid of instant replay. They have adjusted to it and rely on it. Besides...I think the game should be called at full speed....not frame by frame.

I agree, that way the donkeys can cheat and get away with it.

StcChief
01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
The whole gambling link to games won/lost and game calls has been going around for years.

Full time refs.

Better training.

Better use of Technology.

mike_b_284
01-16-2006, 03:51 PM

I am with you 100%. It shouldn't matter if you fumble the ball and the play isn't completly over or if you fumble the ball when your knee is 2mm from the ground. You aren't supposed to fumble the god damn ball. I also agree with fining officials, $20,000 per call and one year in jail for every call after their pay runs out.

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 03:52 PM
What do you mean...it is a full time job...they get paid 5-6 times the national average for American Salaries. But I do agree with full time training.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if there is any of the officials in the NFL that are 100% full time it would be shocking. Most of the time you hear about what they do from time to time. Some are doctors some are lawyers, others are sales reps etc.

They are not full time, they work the games from pre-season through the SB. that is about it. And yes they make ridiculous amounts of money doing it, especially since they all are not very good.

Inspector
01-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Pay them enough so they quit taking bribes from the Broncos and Colts.

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2006, 04:07 PM
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if there is any of the officials in the NFL that are 100% full time it would be shocking. Most of the time you hear about what they do from time to time. Some are doctors some are lawyers, others are sales reps etc.

They are not full time, they work the games from pre-season through the SB. that is about it. And yes they make ridiculous amounts of money doing it, especially since they all are not very good.

The point is...full time...is just a designation..it's just 2 words....the salary is more than enough to live on. I think they way it's setup is fine...they just need to get rid of replay...either way...there will always be these type of situations.

Matt Helm
01-16-2006, 04:09 PM
The point is...full time...is just a designation..it's just 2 words....the salary is more than enough to live on. I think they way it's setup is fine...they just need to get rid of replay...either way...there will always be these type of situations.

If you were a doctor or lawyer, just using them for reference, would you quit your practice to be an NFL official? NEITHER WOULD THEY!

1adam1238
01-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Maybe we ought to look at the age of these old giezers too!!!!!!

Garcia Bronco
01-16-2006, 05:13 PM
If you were a doctor or lawyer, just using them for reference, would you quit your practice to be an NFL official? NEITHER WOULD THEY!

Those are good examples and typically good candidates for refs. Doctors and Lawyers are typically men of good charactor, are disciplined individuals, and figures of trust in a society. It's those other jobs that make them a sense of utmost good faith.

savedin79
01-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Have a pool of extra ref's. If they miss a call they sit out the next week,

Nzoner
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
check out a book called "Interference" and you'll have a whole new perspective on the link between the NFL and vegas.

The most interesting thing about Interference to me(I own a copy)is that there's only one team in the entire NFL that has a chapter dedicated solely to them and it's called The Kansas City Shuffle.

Nelson Muntz
01-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Those are good examples and typically good candidates for refs. Doctors and Lawyers are typically men of good charactor, are disciplined individuals, and figures of trust in a society. It's those other jobs that make them a sense of utmost good faith.

Haha