PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks RT Locklear jailed for investigation of domestic violence

pr_capone
01-17-2006, 04:14 AM
SEATTLE -- Seahawks starting right tackle Sean Locklear was being held without bail Monday in the King County Jail for investigation of domestic violence, police and the team said.

Locklear was booked early Sunday, hours after playing in the team's 20-10 playoff win over the Washington Redskins.

Seattle police were investigating an unrelated incident about 1 a.m. Sunday when three people told them a man was assaulting a woman on a nearby sidewalk. Police said the two involved were Locklear and a woman identified as his girlfriend. Her name was redacted from the police report.

According to the police report, the woman said she and Locklear had been at Belltown Billiards with friends when the player grew angry because she was dancing with another man.

He confronted her and they walked outside as she tried to tell him she had done nothing wrong but "this just upset him further," according to the report.

As they walked down the sidewalk, "Locklear grabbed her around the neck," the police report said. Officers wrote that they observed visible redness on her neck and chest. The woman then began to cry and refused to provide more information, telling police, "He didn't do anything."

She refused to let police photograph her injuries or to provide a written statement, the police report said. She also declined medical attention.

The three witnesses who initially summoned police said they saw the man grab the woman around the neck, "putting both hands around her neck," according to the report.

Police said Locklear confirmed he and the woman had been arguing but said he grabbed her by the front of her shirt, not her neck. He made no further comments, police said.

It was not immediately known whether Locklear had retained a lawyer. He was awaiting an appearance before a judge, which would not occur until after Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday.

Locklear's status for the NFC championship game against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday was unclear. But coach Mike Holmgren said he didn't think the incident would be a distraction to his team.

"What I know about it so far -- and I don't know everything -- it should not be," Holmgren said Monday, without specifically addressing Locklear's playing status.

"I have to wait on details on that. I am aware of the situation. But right now, I have no comment. When we get more information, [we] will give it to you."

Locklear, 24, was a third-round draft choice out of North Carolina State in 2004.