PDA

View Full Version : Why my next lawn mower will be a Snapper

Bugeater
01-18-2006, 10:16 AM
The man who said no to Wal-Mart (http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/102/open_snapper.html)

And a related story:

The Wal-Mart you don't know (http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html)

jspchief
01-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Walmart will ultimately be very bad for our economy. They continue to drive down prices, which drives down quality and forces outsourcing.

My father has worked for several dairy plants, and hates supplying their grocery division. They implement standards on the plants that makes it difficult to turn profit. He said the yrequire the machinery to be clean enough to eat off of, meanwhile you walk into the average Walmart and it's a dumpy, dirty, mess.

I refuse to shop there. Besides the fact that they sell mostly crap, I don't support what they're doing to the retail world.

Saulbadguy
01-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Capitalism at its best. I don't mind what Wal-Mart does, but I don't like to shop there for other reasons. They sell mostly crap, they are always full of the scum of the earth people, and its always CROWDED.

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Didn't read the story, but would like to weigh in supporting Snapper. Those puppies rock.

EDIT: Oh, they're talking about push mowers. Eff that, there's hardly a dimes diff between push mowers. The engines are all Tecumseh, Briggs and Stratton, or Yamaha, and the decks and wheels are generally some variant on the Murray schematic. That said, my dad's old snapper push is a decently designed forged aluminum deck, . . . with a Techumseh engine replacing the B&S that crapped out long ago.

MOhillbilly
01-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Walmart will ultimately be very bad for our economy. They continue to drive down prices, which drives down quality and forces outsourcing.

My father has worked for several dairy plants, and hates supplying their grocery division. They implement standards on the plants that makes it difficult to turn profit. He said the yrequire the machinery to be clean enough to eat off of, meanwhile you walk into the average Walmart and it's a dumpy, dirty, mess.

I refuse to shop there. Besides the fact that they sell mostly crap, I don't support what they're doing to the retail world.

Ill add that customer service is all but a thing of the past. Try to find someone in a hardware dept. of Wal-mart that treated you like the mom and pop Hardware store owner walmart put out of buisness.

NewChief
01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
My wife and I have had an up and down relationship with Wally World. We went from driving around with a "Wal-Mart SUCKS the life out of your town" sticker on our car to my wife working as a fashion designer for the corporate offices in Bentonville.

It was certainly a test of our beliefs. While we never really "bought in" to the Wal-Mart philosophy, we were forced to, at the least, justify and apologize for the place that wrote my wife's paychecks. We began shopping at Wal-Mart again. We bought in to the stock options. My wife kept the long hours and made the commute. Then she got pregnant. Thankfully she was able to quit Wal-Mart and take a job working as a designer out of our house. Slowly but surely, we've been able to filter Wal-Mart out of our lives again. We no longer shop there on a weekly basis, choosing to buy our groceries from a local, employee-owned grocery store instead. We occassionally go to Sams still for diapers and formula, but we'll likely not renew our membership once this one expires. As for the stock options, I'm still hanging onto them. Once the stock hits 55 a share again, I'll dump them as well.

I'm not going to get into the good and evils of Wal-Mart, but I'll just say that my own conscience is much clearer now that I don't shop there. I literally dreaded going to the grocery store when we shopped there. Now that we go somewhere else, it's actually a fun excursion for our family.

Eleazar
01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I quit shopping there, but not because of some moral indignation. I quit because the one in Liberty sucks donkey balls. There are never enough cashiers working at peak times - for example, I've gone there after work to just pick up a random item or two (6 or 6:30 PM) and the place will be packed - with what looks like 75% of the registers closed. They never enforce the 20 items or less in the express lane. They continually allow people haggling over pennies to hold up lines. There ought to be a 20 item limit at the self checkout too.

I pretty much buy everything at Target now. They have better stuff, there is a lot less WT, and you never wait behind more than one person in line. Plus the store is always clean and shelves are organized.

They've done a great job designing their stores. You go into Wal mart and it's just some huge building that looks like an airplane hanger, with sterile, cheap flourescent lighting, everything is drab and unemotional. It reinforces the feeling that what you're doing is a chore. At Target at least you feel like you're in a nice place and are surrounded by pleasing aesthetics.

I dumped Walmart because Target gave me a better value. I know Target is still a huge evil corporation that is de debbil and eats teh babbies but whatever. They give me a service that I value above all their competitors. I can get everything I need in one place and for a decent price.

I'm sympathetic to mom and pop operations, but at the same time, the economy is evolving, the model is always changing, and people need to be ready to adapt to it. Nobody is still selling covered wagons and decrying the public's decision to use automobiles as harmful to the economy and putting the little guy out of business.

Bugeater
01-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Didn't read the story, but would like to weigh in supporting Snapper. Those puppies rock.

EDIT: Oh, they're talking about push mowers. Eff that, there's hardly a dimes diff between push mowers. The engines are all Tecumseh, Briggs and Stratton, or Yamaha, and the decks and wheels are generally some variant on the Murray schematic. That said, my dad's old snapper push is a decently designed forged aluminum deck, . . . with a Techumseh engine replacing the B&S that crapped out long ago.

The push mower was just mentioned as an example of their low-end priced mower. I agree, fug that push mower shit. They also have self-propelled models, and they're all American made.

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
The push mower was just mentioned as an example of their low-end priced mower. I agree, fug that push mower shit. They also have self-propelled models, and they're all American made.
I was differentiating between push [all walk-behind, all generally alike], and RIDING mowers [Snapper = teh shizz].

Bugeater
01-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I was differentiating between push [all walk-behind, all generally alike], and RIDING mowers [Snapper = teh shizz].

If you want to talk about riding mowers, then I'd opt for something more like this:

FAX
01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Denver girls dress up to go to WalMart.

FAX

siberian khatru
01-18-2006, 11:33 AM
I've been doing major grocery shopping (the full-cart stuff every 2 weeks) at the Wal-Mart Supercenter they opened here over a year ago. I save a lot of money over shopping at Publix or Kroger. But I must admit, it's beginning to depress me, despite the savings.

I can't stand the people. I'm sorry, that's elitist and snobby, but I'm just sick of seeing people 100 pounds overweight and a bunch of folks in those little scooters clogging the aisles.

The store has become kind of dingy and shabby. Some shelves have barren spots that they haven't restocked. And the quality of the meat and produce is subpar.

This Saturday is "big shopping day" as we call it in the family. I'm thinking of trying to talk the wife into hitting Publix for old-times' sake. And for my sanity.

MichaelH
01-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I've been doing major grocery shopping (the full-cart stuff every 2 weeks) at the Wal-Mart Supercenter they opened here over a year ago. I save a lot of money over shopping at Publix or Kroger. But I must admit, it's beginning to depress me, despite the savings.

I can't stand the people. I'm sorry, that's elitist and snobby, but I'm just sick of seeing people 100 pounds overweight and a bunch of folks in those little scooters clogging the aisles.

The store has become kind of dingy and shabby. Some shelves have barren spots that they haven't restocked. And the quality of the meat and produce is subpar.

This Saturday is "big shopping day" as we call it in the family. I'm thinking of trying to talk the wife into hitting Publix for old-times' sake. And for my sanity.

:clap:

When we moved to a town with a Super Wal-Mart, we started shopping there. We found we could save around $30 on our grocery bill each week. But the quality of produce and meats as well as the slobs standing in the middle of the aisle staring lazilly have caused me to go elsewhere. I won't even mention standing in lines. Just two weeks ago I left a full cart in line at 10:00 on a Saturday morning. There was one checker working and ten standing at the money counter with their fingers up their rears. I will not spend another cent in any Wal-Mart ever again even if it means spending twice each week on groceries.

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM
We shop at Hy-Vee for groceries, Ace for hardware, and Target and Farm and Fleet for the things we can't at the others. Wal-Mart is too dirty, has crappy help, and their perishable groceries stink.

BTW,
PBS had a great piece on Frontline about the impact of Walmart. It seemed fairly even-handed and viewed the issue from a lot of angles. Check it out, if you can.

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 11:50 AM
What's ironic is that I find Sam's Club steaks among the best out there. Course, the two closest Sam's are brand spanking new and gleaming.

chagrin
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Anyone who shops there currently, has no business complaining about what it does to the economy.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Snappers are excellent mowers. I have 1 push mower that is about 20 years old and still mows great and 2 riders (1 recently got demoted to parts mower but it is over 30 years old - though a new motor and it would be mowing again). They are tough and solid and will still be mowing when a comparable Craftsman is rusting in a ditch someplace.

MichaelH
01-18-2006, 11:56 AM
What's ironic is that I find Sam's Club steaks among the best out there. Course, the two closest Sam's are brand spanking new and gleaming.

A coworker's father is a very good butcher and has said the same thing. He buys all his beef at Sam's Club. I never have so I cannot verify his statement. I'll go to the locally owned store for now on.

NewChief
01-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Anyone who shops there currently, has no business complaining about what it does to the economy.

I agree completely. That's another reason I probably feel better since I quit shopping there. I can now bitch more.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 11:58 AM
As for Walmart. Why is it that they fill the isles with pallets of stuff at 8 o'clock at night and make it hard to get a shopping cart around? I mean, at 8 pm it's usually still pretty crowded with people. Nevermind that you are open 24 hours and could do the stocking after midnight.

We have a Big K (Kmart) here in town. I like it, though their prices are a bit higher and some departments lack the selection.

NewChief
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM

Sam's and Wal-Mart are very different entities. They're actually run as two separate corporations, I believe. Anyway, Sam's carries lots of product lines and products not available at Wal-Mart. They've got a Fair-Trade, organic coffee that is awesome. It sells for like $8 for 3 lbs or so, too. They've also got much better cheeses. Manchego for one. They also carry huge bags of frozen edamame, which is delicious. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of restaurants actually use Sam's to supply their kitchens.

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Snappers are excellent mowers. I have 1 push mower that is about 20 years old and still mows great and 2 riders (1 recently got demoted to parts mower but it is over 30 years old - though a new motor and it would be mowing again). They are tough and solid and will still be mowing when a comparable Craftsman is rusting in a ditch someplace.
My dad presently has 8 snapper riders [it's a sickness], two of which I was riding when I was 8 yo. For the longest, my Gramps would buy a new one every 4-5 years and my dad would take the old one and keep it in good running order. Since gramps died, he's picked a couple more at flea markets and swap meets. He also has a '80's model snapper push and the snapper weedeater with all the attachments, including the ultra-cool mini roto-tiller.

FAX
01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
Sam's and Wal-Mart are very different entities. They're actually run as two separate corporations, I believe. Anyway, Sam's carries lots of product lines and products not available at Wal-Mart. They've got a Fair-Trade, organic coffee that is awesome. It sells for like $8 for 3 lbs or so, too. They've also got much better cheeses. Manchego for one. They also carry huge bags of frozen edamame, which is delicious. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of restaurants actually use Sam's to supply their kitchens.

Sam's is also the only place I know of where you can get a 20 gallon container of yellow mustard at a decent price.

FAX THE SMART SHOPPER

Frazod
01-18-2006, 12:04 PM
The Wal-Mart closest to me is disgusting - cramped, dirty and packed with people, most of whom are speaking languages other than English. I've been there twice, and that's twice too often. I wouldn't go back there to take a dump. I'll stick with Target for my bargain shopping.

Demonpenz
01-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I just don't have the time to F with wal mart. I will pay more for convience most of the time

Adept Havelock
01-18-2006, 12:08 PM
When it comes to Lawnmowers and Ladies, Snappers win everytime!

I too avoid the 10th circle of hell known as Wal-Mart.

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 12:09 PM
My dad presently has 8 snapper riders [it's a sickness], two of which I was riding when I was 8 yo. For the longest, my Gramps would buy a new one every 4-5 years and my dad would take the old one and keep it in good running order. Since gramps died, he's picked a couple more at flea markets and swap meets. He also has a '80's model snapper push and the snapper weedeater with all the attachments, including the ultra-cool mini roto-tiller.

Really, if a person wants a good rider and doesn't mind it not looking shiny and new, he can pick up a used Snapper cheap and even pay a repairshop if need be to fix the things that need repair, and he will still have a better mower for the $ than he can buy from Walmart.

My "New" Snapper cost me $125 bucks. I bought it from a repair shop that didn't want to mess with it. They said it had governor problems when all that was wrong was the carb linkage was put together wrong. Since then, I have put a new motor on it as the original Briggs was using more oil than gas.

chagrin
01-18-2006, 12:18 PM
"it's a sickness"

Preach on brother, I am addicted to snapper too.

Giggitty! Giggitty! Gig-gi-TY!

:whackit:

FAX
01-18-2006, 12:30 PM
When Mrs. FAX calls the office and says, "Bring home a 90 lb bag of miniature marshmellows, honey.", Sam's is the place I go.

FAX

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 12:34 PM
When Mrs. FAX calls the office and says, "Bring home a 90 lb bag of miniature marshmellows, honey.", Sam's is the place I go.

FAX
Word to the wise, those home remedies for yeast infections don't actually work.

Infidel Goat
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM
Costco!1111111

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Costco!1111111
D@mn dirty hippy!! ;)

NewChief
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Costco!1111111

I wish we had one down here. I doubt they'll ever be able to infiltrate the heart of the Evil Empire, though.

Frosty
01-18-2006, 12:53 PM
I wish I could shop somewhere besides Wal-Mart. We had one move into our town about 10 years ago and it promptly put 75% of the stores out of business. The closest city that has other stores like Target and Fred Meyers (Krogers to the rest of the world) is 80 miles away.

I buy a lot of stuff on line, but we still buy a lot of groceries there. I agree about the poor quality meat. If you read the label, most of the meats sold at Wal-Mart are 20% injected salt solution by weight. That's no bargain.

My Dad swears up and down that products sold by Wal-Mart are substandard, even if it's the exact same model number as what's sold elsewhere. He says the companies shave corners to try to hit Wal-Mart's price point. I didn't really believe him, but after reading those articles, now I'm not so sure. My wife probably has a point when she said that they probably do cut corners but then sell them to all the stores that way. Who knows? :shrug:

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 01:27 PM
I wish I could shop somewhere besides Wal-Mart. We had one move into our town about 10 years ago and it promptly put 75% of the stores out of business. The closest city that has other stores like Target and Fred Meyers (Krogers to the rest of the world) is 80 miles away.

I buy a lot of stuff on line, but we still buy a lot of groceries there. I agree about the poor quality meat. If you read the label, most of the meats sold at Wal-Mart are 20% injected salt solution by weight. That's no bargain.

My Dad swears up and down that products sold by Wal-Mart are substandard, even if it's the exact same model number as what's sold elsewhere. He says the companies shave corners to try to hit Wal-Mart's price point. I didn't really believe him, but after reading those articles, now I'm not so sure. My wife probably has a point when she said that they probably do cut corners but then sell them to all the stores that way. Who knows? :shrug:
At Christmas this year, they did have a line of small appliances [coffee makers, blenders, etc.] that were clearly de-branded versions of mainstream models. Just guessing, but they're probably brand-name manufactured, but didn't clear the inspection process. Of course that practice has been around forever, like a Sony that doesn't meet specs becomes an Aiwa.

Brock
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Of course that practice has been around forever, like a Sony that doesn't meet specs becomes an Aiwa.

I did not know this. I've had better luck with Aiwa stuff than Sony, frankly.

Calcountry
01-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Capitalism at its best. I don't mind what Wal-Mart does, but I don't like to shop there for other reasons. They sell mostly crap, they are always full of the scum of the earth people, and its always CROWDED.You should feel right at home there then Saul.

Eleazar
01-18-2006, 02:12 PM

When I was still in college, I was wanting to buy a bicycle to ride back and forth between my off-campus apartment and my classes. It was nothing that cost a boatload of money, but it was nicer than the average bike you see.

I saw a similar model was sold by walmart one day when I was there, and that had the same model name and looked the same at first glance, but on inspecting that one versus the one at the bike shop at home, there were many differences - mostly plastic parts substituted for metal and things like that. So, I don't doubt that other products might be manufactured this way too.

For some things, who really cares. I mean, I don't need name brand washcloths or go to a specialty shop to buy drain-o. But as far as more durable goods, there might be something to your story.

Saulbadguy
01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
They censor CD's too. Funny stuff.

Saulbadguy
01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
I did not know this. I've had better luck with Aiwa stuff than Sony, frankly.
My first car stereo was an Aiwa. It was a POS, though. Some thieves broke in to my car (which was parked at my apartment), and stole it. The next morning I discovered my car had been broken in to. And down the road a bit in the gutter...my Aiwa CD player. Apparently they discovered what it was and threw it away. I wish they would have just taken it. :mad:

KCChiefsMan
01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I hate wal mart, absolutely HATE it. The one in Lawrence is one of the worst I've seen. The only friendly person in there is the old greeter at the front door, customer service sucks, every time I go in there I get pissed off either by the rude white trash shoppers or the employees. I once pulled my cart up to a cashier to buy my things, she looked at me kinda rolled her eyes and sighed, turned back around to finish her conversation. So I stood there and said "excuse me" and she look at me with a pretty dirty look and gave me the "one-minute" index finger point. I left and went to Target.

Another time, I asked an employee who was in his uniform where the out-door trash tubs are at, he told me that he was not on the clock and doesn't have to answer that question. I pretty much went off on him I said something to the likes of "look man, look at yourself, what is that you are wearing? a WAL MART UNIFORM, and where are you walking around at? a WAL MART ISLE, if you are that stupid to realize that then you're a fugging idiot, now WHERE ARE THE DAMN TRASH CANS?" he then told me they didn't have any."" so I went and talked to the manager, but I didn't get the guy's name, but then the manager tells me that they are outside in their little tent in the parking lot, so I go out there and the people in the tent told me they were in the paint section inside.....I left, home depot is where I bought the trash cans.

I am determined to never shop there again, but I received a gift card from wal mart as a christmas gift, so I will have to go back in there to redeem it. but after that NEVER AGAIN!!!

FAX
01-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I received a gift card from wal mart as a christmas gift, so I will have to go back in there to redeem it. but after that NEVER AGAIN!!!

My sympathies, Mr. KCChiefsMan. I understand your feelings. However, there may be a lesson to be learned here.

Never participate in a gift exchange with a Denver girl.

FAX

Bugeater
01-18-2006, 02:39 PM
I had a really big fat ribeye from Sam's Club last night that ****ing rocked.

Oh, and a Snapper is a pussy.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread.

I figured that you, of all people, would have noticed what words the web address of the first link contained. Then you would have had something more to contribute.

Simplex3
01-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Here's how I see it. There are three modes I shop in.

1. I'm buying everyday s**t. Walmart is fine, Target is fine, the local grocer is best. We have no more local drug stores.

2. I know exactly what I want. Internet. If I don't need any help or to feel out multiple products I can get it cheaper on the web than I can at Wally World and I don't have to put up with the white trash and assorted scum.

3. I need the help of a knowledgeable salesperson. Well, Walmart is out. *IF* you can find someone they're just clueless drones.

I buy my durable purchases from local shops. Used to shop at Brandsmart for most electronics (receiver, speakers, big screen, etc), looks like I won't be doing that anymore thanks to Worst Buy, the Walmart of electronics.

Oh well, you just have to try a little harder.

Bob Dole
01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
All Wal~Mart employees are manufactured and shipped in from NW Arkansas. That's why they, unlike the rest of your community, are so rude--they aren't from your community.

Nelson Muntz
01-18-2006, 04:12 PM

because they're a "family" store, but they'll sell rated R movies with nothing censored out. Makes perfect sense to me :rolleyes:

beavis
01-18-2006, 04:49 PM
... its always CROWDED.
That's why no one goes there anymore. :)

PastorMikH
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
All of the Walmart employees down here are nice and considerate. Perhaps if those of you in Kansas are having problems with rude Walmart employees are havin this problem because people in Kansas tend to be ruder than they are in other places.

:p:fire:

beavis
01-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I haven't bought a cd from Wal-Mart in years, but I thought they quit doing that? Don't they sell rap cds where every other word is some form of obscenity?

LocoChiefsFan
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Capitalism at its best. I don't mind what Wal-Mart does, but I don't like to shop there for other reasons. They sell mostly crap, they are always full of the scum of the earth people, and its always CROWDED.
Hey, I resemble that statement.

Coach
01-18-2006, 06:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/SwedeCarlson/Funnies/Lawn.jpg

Frazod
01-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey, I resemble that statement.

If the Wal-Mart by me was as nice as the one in Kirksville, I'd probably shop there. That's the nicest one I've ever seen.

Skip Towne
01-18-2006, 06:24 PM
All Wal~Mart employees are manufactured and shipped in from NW Arkansas. That's why they, unlike the rest of your community, are so rude--they aren't from your community.
I can attest to this as I spent a couple years in NW Ar. These beings are usually referred to as "drones" but their official name is Wal-Martians.

sedated
01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Of course Wal-Mart employees are rude.

they get paid nothing and get no benefits.

and the stores are crowded because they are always understaffed.

gotta protect that bottom line so david ass can not spend money on the royals, and make a few more bucks.

Capitolism will eventually destroy itself, and I hope to be there when it does