PDA

View Full Version : The Brushback on Herm Edwards

gblowfish
01-18-2006, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine at Fox Sports pointed me to this website, which is his favorite sports parody site. It's called "The Brushback" and the lead story today is about Herm Edward promising to do for the Chiefs what he did for the Jets...win 47% of his games.

Apologies if this has been posted before. I did a search (to make Skip happy)...

Link is here: http://www.thebrushback.com/hermedwards_full.htm

phxchief
01-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Give me 2 playoff wins and i'll be happier than I have the past 5 years.

BTW, Herm Edwards >>>> every single other newly-hired HCs.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll take a 47% winning percentage in exchange for 2 playoff wins.

Gunther's winning percentage was 50%. Vermeil's was a stunning 55%.

milkman
01-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I'll take a 47% winning percentage in exchange for 2 playoff wins.

Gunther's winning percentage was 50%. Vermeil's was a stunning 55%.

Maybe you can be happy with continued mediocity, 2 playoff wins notwithstanding.

But I'm sick of it, and want move beyond mediocre.

the Talking Can
01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Maybe you can be happy with continued mediocity, 2 playoff wins notwithstanding.

we haven't won a playoff game in 13 years...actually winning a playoff game is a GIGANTIC step in the right direction...beggers can't be whiners...

Baby Lee
01-18-2006, 11:19 AM

And I wanna be Brad Pitt, spending my days poking Angelina in the cooter.
The problem with the term 'continued mediocrity' is that it assumes we've reached mediocrity yet.

Brock
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
And I wanna be Brad Pitt, spending my days poking Angelina in the cooter.
The problem with the term 'continued mediocrity' is that it assumes we've reached mediocrity yet.

The Chiefs are the textbook definition of the word.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty pissed that Edwards is only going to win 47% of his games with the Chiefs. But I'm also amazed that there are so many psychics that are into football.

milkman
01-18-2006, 11:27 AM
we haven't won a playoff game in 13 years...actually winning a playoff game is a GIGANTIC step in the right direction...beggers can't be whiners...

Is it really a GIGANTIC step in the right diection?

Would you be happy with a team like the Skins?

Mediocrity, whether it includes a couple of playoff wins along the way through the years, is still just mediocrity.

Brock
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM

Uh, YES.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Talking Can and Baby Lee took the words right out of my mouth.

As much as I decry the mediocrity of Marty, even I can admit that what we are now isn't nearly as good as that.

milkman
01-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Uh, YES.

That's cool.

But I wouldn't be.

FringeNC
01-18-2006, 11:42 AM
BTW, Herm Edwards >>>> every single other newly-hired HCs.

Herm Edwards hardly took over a team in chaos and turned it into a contender. Al Groh was 9-7 before Herm took ever and I think they were sitting at 9-4 at one point, and in first place.

Herm Edwards may end up doing well here, but I just don't see where all these assumptions that he is a great coach are coming from.

Everyone always is bashing Carl Peterson on here, but when it is time to drink the Kool-Aid, most drink it. I think there should be a good amount of skepticism regarding this hire.

kc1977
01-18-2006, 11:45 AM

Um, we are not at mediocre. We are at pathetic. 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I can't believe people actually thought the career .500 coach Vickie D would be good for us - when he just finished the plunge into patheticness.

The next step is mediocre.

foxman
01-18-2006, 11:55 AM
My concerns about Herm are Clock Management and his attention to detail along those lines and how he handled Lamont Jordon. I think it's fair to say he has a similar situation in the Holmes/Johnson combo to the Jordan/Martin situation. Jordan did a fine job in Oakland and now the Jets are hurting a bit at RB IMO.

milkman
01-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Um, we are not at mediocre. We are at pathetic. 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I can't believe people actually thought the career .500 coach Vickie D would be good for us - when he just finished the plunge into patheticness.

The next step is mediocre.

Any one that has been around here knows that I was never happy that Dick was hired.

But the fact is, he won more games that he lost as HC in KC.
We, as fans of the team, might see that as pathetic, but a winning percentage at about a 55% is the very definition of mediocre.

foxman
01-18-2006, 11:58 AM
In the NFL today there is a very VERY fine line between 13-3 and medicore.

jspchief
01-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Herm Edwards hardly took over a team in chaos and turned it into a contender. Al Groh was 9-7 before Herm took ever and I think they were sitting at 9-4 at one point, and in first place.

Herm Edwards may end up doing well here, but I just don't see where all these assumptions that he is a great coach are coming from.

Everyone always is bashing Carl Peterson on here, but when it is time to drink the Kool-Aid, most drink it. I think there should be a good amount of skepticism regarding this hire.So your problem with Edwards is that he took over a good team and had continued success, even improving it? Isn't that exactly what this team needs?

I don't know if Edwards is a "great" coach. But I do feel like he was a good fit for the situation this team is in. If we want to win with our current players, I don't think we can afford the growing pains of someone with no HC experience.

I don't think I need to be any more skeptical of the Edwards hire than I would the hiring of anyone else. He has a respectable resume, with the only real mark against him coming in a year that his team was decimated by injuries.

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
NEWS FLASH : If Sperm Headwards is only going to win 47 % of his games in KC and a few playoffs wins and no SB wins, ship his ass out now. Why settle for less than what we want / need.

Sorry, but this is no better off, we need to move towards the main thing, remember, the main thing is the main thing.

foxman
01-18-2006, 12:05 PM
He has a respectable resume, with the only real mark against him coming in a year that his team was decimated by injuries.

Your not 100% correct. Herm has no concept of clock management.

The only other thing I would say is, if all we need is a guy to take our current team and go from there then why not Hire Mike Sherman.....he wouldnt have cost us a 4th rounder.

Brock
01-18-2006, 12:09 PM

The only other thing I would say is, if all we need is a guy to take our current team and go from there then why not Hire Mike Sherman.....he wouldnt have cost us a 4th rounder.

Why would the chiefs hire a west coast offense coach?

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:12 PM

And on top of that, why hire another offensive guy?

We need help on defense, our offense is fine...

foxman
01-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Not the point, the point was that a big part of my problem with Herm was having to give something for him. Solid guy as he may be there are/were other options that wouldnt require anything more than a contract

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:14 PM

What kind is Sperm Headwards ?

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Solid guy as he may be there are/were other options that wouldnt require anything more than a contract

And all those options sucked.

The only HC who's done anything that's available this offseason is Capers, and he's not getting any HC offers...

htismaqe

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

Herm Edwards isn't an offensive coach.

siberian khatru

Everyone always is bashing Carl Peterson on here, but when it is time to drink the Kool-Aid, most drink it. I think there should be a good amount of skepticism regarding this hire.

I don't think anyone here thinks Herm is a great coach. Even The Bad Guy, who was supporting the Herm choice from early on, has said he merely thinks Herm was the best available coach.

I also think hardly anyone is drinking the Kool-Aid. Carl seems to be by far the most enthusiastic of the hire; pretty much everyone here at best has simply resigned themselves to the fact that Carl isn't going anywhere for four more years and they're going to have to live with his decisions. They're hoping to make the best of it. I think there's a lot of skepticism of this hire, but I also think the absolutely most futile thing you can do is pull a gochiefs and keep railing against it.

What, you're gonna hold your breath for four years to protest? Why not just take four years off from being a fan until it all blows over? I know that sounds like a pissy "go find another team/you're not a REAL fan" line, but that's pretty much where the logic leads. Declaring war on a guy who hasn't coached a single game yet is pathetic. If you're so convinced he's a disaster, then why bother following the team? So you can hang around and post "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!" threads after every loss? That's cranking the annoying meter up to 11.

Herm Edwards is the coach. Get over it. If he fails, we'll flame his ass just like we do every other Chiefs underachiever. But let's at least give him a chance to prove himself, one way or the other. I mean, what other choice do we have?

Rausch

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

No, he's a defensive minded Coach.

Brock

WCO ? Ring a bell ??

Herm isn't any kind of offensive coach.

And that's a pretty ****ing stupid name to be calling him.

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Well aware Sperm Headwards is a defensive coach, what was his OC in Jetsland ?

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:19 PM

That's brilliant.

So Marty's a WCO guy because he traded for Montana and used Hackett?

That's pretty much what you're saying...

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Herm isn't any kind of offensive coach.

And that's a pretty ****ing stupid name to be calling him.

Touchy today ?

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:20 PM
That's brilliant.

If the shoe fits .......

What is Marty and Cam doing in SD now ?

Brock
01-18-2006, 12:21 PM

You have an amazing grasp of the irrelevant.

htismaqe
I don't think anyone here thinks Herm is a great coach. Even The Bad Guy, who was supporting the Herm choice from early on, has said he merely thinks Herm was the best available coach.

I also think hardly anyone is drinking the Kool-Aid. Carl seems to be by far the most enthusiastic of the hire; pretty much everyone here at best has simply resigned themselves to the fact that Carl isn't going anywhere for four more years and they're going to have to live with his decisions. They're hoping to make the best of it. I think there's a lot of skepticism of this hire, but I also think the absolutely most futile thing you can do is pull a gochiefs and keep railing against it.

What, you're gonna hold your breath for four years to protest? Why not just take four years off from being a fan until it all blows over? I know that sounds like a pissy "go find another team/you're not a REAL fan" line, but that's pretty much where the logic leads. Declaring war on a guy who hasn't coached a single game yet is pathetic. If you're so convinced he's a disaster, then why bother following the team? So you can hang around and post "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!" threads after every loss? That's cranking the annoying meter up to 11.

Herm Edwards is the coach. Get over it. If he fails, we'll flame his ass just like we do every other Chiefs underachiever. But let's at least give him a chance to prove himself, one way or the other. I mean, what other choice do we have?

:clap:

FringeNC
So your problem with Edwards is that he took over a good team and had continued success, even improving it? Isn't that exactly what this team needs?

I don't know if Edwards is a "great" coach. But I do feel like he was a good fit for the situation this team is in. If we want to win with our current players, I don't think we can afford the growing pains of someone with no HC experience.

I don't think I need to be any more skeptical of the Edwards hire than I would the hiring of anyone else. He has a respectable resume, with the only real mark against him coming in a year that his team was decimated by injuries.

He was going to be fired. The New Yorkers for the most part wanted him gone. He is probably the only head coach never to have been a coordinator. He doesn't seem to be a very honest guy.

Those are a few legitimate red flags, in my opinion. I think the best case scenario is that he is "Vermeil lite" -- able to create the family atmosphere, but without the knowledge of offense Vermeil had.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:23 PM
If the shoe fits .......

Marty and Cam are running the CORYELL offense.

You just invalidated your entire argument.

ROFL

CoMoChief
01-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Is it really a GIGANTIC step in the right diection?

Mediocrity, whether it includes a couple of playoff wins along the way through the years, is still just mediocrity.

At least the Skins play defense. Nothing pisses me off more than to see the Chiefs breakdown so much defensively during a football game. Its coming to a point to where every bad defensive team (at any level) I see out on a field, I ask myself whether that team is really the Kansas City Chiefs.

Logical
01-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Mr. Peterson did not hand me $12 million for nothing. He expects me to win, and I will – approximately 47 percent of the time.”

ROFL

Why is everyone taking this thread so seriously. It is a parody article it is meant to be funny and it is, an example is above.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2006, 12:30 PM

That's just plain stupid. He hired a coach, Dick Curl, as his clock manager. He trusted him, just as a head coach should do. Some here think it bit him in the ass. I disagree.

All this "losing record" stuff about Herm is pure BS! How many games would ANY coach in this league win with a 3rd string RB and 4th string QB?!! Does anyone here think that James Killian and Dee Brown (or better yet, Ronnie Cruz) would have won more than 4 games for the Chiefs this year? How ridiculous that so many people seem to forget that Edwards guided his team to the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons and was one bad kicker from the AFC Championship game in 2005!

If Edwards had his full compliment of offensive and defensive players (i.e. starting QB, starting RB, O-Line, etc.) this past season and still only won 4 games, there would be cause for concern about his coaching ability. But that certainly wasn't the case.

I think there are plenty of posters here guilty of bitching to just bitch. Either that or they don't know jacksh*t about NFL as a whole and only follow the Chiefs.

milkman
01-18-2006, 12:30 PM
He was going to be fired. The New Yorkers for the most part wanted him gone. He is probably the only head coach never to have been a coordinator. He doesn't seem to be a very honest guy.

Those are a few legitimate red flags, in my opinion. I think the best case scenario is that he is "Vermeil lite" -- able to create the family atmosphere, but without the knowledge of offense Vermeil had.

Wasn't andy Reid the Packers QB coach when he took the Philly job?

milkman
01-18-2006, 12:33 PM
At least the Skins play defense. Nothing pisses me off more than to see the Chiefs breakdown so much defensively during a football game. Its coming to a point to where every bad defensive team (at any level) I see out on a field, I ask myself whether that team is really the Kansas City Chiefs.

Yes, at least they did play defense.

But the point is that they really weren't a good team, and that one playoff win doesn't in any way diminish that fact.

foxman
01-18-2006, 12:34 PM
And all those options sucked.

The only HC who's done anything that's available this offseason is Capers, and he's not getting any HC offers...

Thats kind of a BS statement. Almost every replacement coach this season has been a coordinator and we can not know how that's going to pan out. Sure we can all debate that we needed a proven commodity yadda yadda, I challenge that. Why did we need an experianced coach, because we have a veteran team? Thats a weak reason IMO.

Herm Edwards is the coach. Get over it.

Threads like this allow us to bitch and complain. I don't think anyone expects to change anything.....so as you say, GET OVER IT.

Brock
I think there are plenty of posters here guilty of bitching to just bitch. Either that or they don't know jacksh*t about NFL as a whole and only follow the Chiefs.

Okay, B_Ambuehl. Where did Cam Cameron coach again?

ROYC75
Marty and Cam are running the CORYELL offense.

You just invalidated your entire argument.

ROFL

Really ? I guess when you ask a question with a ? mark it means nothing.

Let me break this down for you...... I was asking a question, OK .

FTR, no I was not on the Herm Edwards ( for sensitve folks ) bandwagon, I think he was laid back ( muck like DV ) and managed the clock poorly. I do think he had enough talent in NY to win and didn't.

Grant it, he is still young at coaching ( with only having 5 years HC ) and maybe he can correct those issues.

Brock
01-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I do think he had enough talent in NY to win and didn't.

To win what? A Super Bowl? Riiight.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:38 PM

FTR, no I was not on the Herm Edwards ( for sensitve folks ) bandwagon, I think he was laid back ( muck like DV ) and managed the clock poorly. I do think he had enough talent in NY to win and didn't.

Grant it, he is still young at coaching ( with only having 5 years HC ) and maybe he can correct those issues.

So it wasn't a rhetorical question?

You actually asked that question because you were labelling Marty a WCO coach without knowing, or bothering to find out, what kind of offense he runs in San Diego?

ROFL

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:39 PM

Herm's coaching style is similar to DV's, yes.

Herm's personality is NOTHING like DV's. Herm will ****ing rip you a new a$$hole, as a player.

This is the main reason I liked the hire: he doesn't put up with stupid bull$#it.

DV didn't get it done here, I understand and agree, but I loved the way DV delegated authority. He allowed his coordinators to coordinate without sticking his fingers in everthing. I think that's the best thing a coach can do.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2006, 12:42 PM

Hey Roy, how many Jets games have you watched the past 5 years? Do you even have the Sunday Ticket? If Edwards was so bad at clock management and such a poor coach, how did he get his teams to the playoffs 3 out of 4 season residing in the SAME DIVISION as the Patriots? Enlighten us all, please. Your "wisdom" is just overwhelming.

Braincase
01-18-2006, 12:43 PM
What was his winning percentage prior to this season, where he lost two starting QB's?

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Thats kind of a BS statement. Almost every replacement coach this season has been a coordinator and we can not know how that's going to pan out. Sure we can all debate that we needed a proven commodity yadda yadda, I challenge that. Why did we need an experianced coach, because we have a veteran team? Thats a weak reason IMO.

If we would have hired a guy who has an outstanding record as a coordinator, fine.

Sanders would have fit the bill.

No one else did.

The Pats D coordinator has only 1 year of experience and didn't do all that well.

WTF did the Packers new HC do?

There were a TON of reaches this year.

Threads like this allow us to bitch and complain. I don't think anyone expects to change anything.....so as you say, GET OVER IT.

You'll be surprised how quick 4 years passes.

JR is in a transition period right now and IMHO the only reason Carl was retained was due to his experience and time with the KC organization.

I fully expect JR to be much more hands on as an owner. And no matter the next GM he'll be light years from Peterson. Has to be.

Good or bad...

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:46 PM
So it wasn't a rhetorical question?

You actually asked that question because you were labelling Marty a WCO coach without knowing, or bothering to find out, what kind of offense he runs in San Diego?

ROFL

I asked . Prior to Mike Hiemerdinger ( sp ) the Jets had Hackett, right ? WCO, right ? Correct me if I am wrong , but is Hiemerdinger ( spelling ? ) the same ?

Don't most head coaches usually stay with what they know, not always, but usually.

But in the future, I will be clear not to ask questions, OK. You seem to miss those.

Brock
01-18-2006, 12:48 PM
What was his winning percentage prior to this season, where he lost two starting QB's?

foxman
01-18-2006, 12:49 PM
That's just plain stupid. He hired a coach, Dick Curl, as his clock manager. He trusted him, just as a head coach should do. Some here think it bit him in the ass. I disagree.

Blame anyone you want, it doesnt happen in New England, Carolina or Seattle just to name a few quality teams that don't have a problem with the clock. That is Herms and Herms alone.

I am not anti Herm Edwards. There are things I don't like about the hire. I don't like that we didnt spend enough time IMO talking to coordinators or even conteplating one. I don't like that we gave a draft pick for a guy that would have been fired and arguably might not have been our best option to begin with. I don't like the fact that he's a Carl guy that apparently is Vermielesk which I was never a big fan of to begin with. I want someone that kicks these guys in the ass. Now go ahead and fire away that that hasnt helped us on defense, but there is no denying that all of the remaining coaches in the playoffs command respect from their players with crying every damn time a camera is in their face....GOD I hated that about Vermeil. Maybe Herm can do that, but we shall see.

Rausch
01-18-2006, 12:51 PM
I asked . Prior to Mike Hiemerdinger ( sp ) the Jets had Hackett, right ? WCO, right ? Correct me if I am wrong , but is Hiemerdinger ( spelling ? ) the same ?

Mike Heimerdinger ran the Titans offense for years.

Are you saying they're a WCO?

Don't most head coaches usually stay with what they know, not always, but usually.

Most OFFENSIVE MINDED HC's do, yes.

Marty was not an offensive coach. He's used a smashmouth offense, WCO, and now Coryell offense.

But in the future, I will be clear not to ask questions, OK. You seem to miss those.

Why ask when you can google?...

ROYC75
01-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey Roy, how many Jets games have you watched the past 5 years? Do you even have the Sunday Ticket? If Edwards was so bad at clock management and such a poor coach, how did he get his teams to the playoffs 3 out of 4 season residing in the SAME DIVISION as the Patriots? Enlighten us all, please. Your "wisdom" is just overwhelming.

Sunday Ticket ........ YES

Jets games ........ Yes at times.

Playoffs ........ easy schedules have alot to do with that. But a few years back when Miami , NE and Jets were good, he had to had some talent to play with. Many here will argue that he had no talent..... Miami and NE were good for a couple of losses.

Next question ? ( here it that question mark again Parker )

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Puh-lease. Spare us the victim card.

You know damn well that the responses you received were in response to:

That's brilliant.

If the shoe fits .......

Nobody has problem with people asking questions when they sincerely don't know the answer. If you have a problem with the way your question was responded to, look no further than the manner in which the question was asked.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Why ask when you can google?...

Exactly why I responded the way I did.

htismaqe
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Sunday Ticket ........ YES

Playoffs ........ easy schedules have alot to do with that. But a few years back when Miami , NE and Jets were good, he had to had some talent to play with. Many here will argue that he had no talent..... Miami and NE were good for a couple of losses.

Next question ? ( here it that question mark again Parker )

Next question is rhetorical.

Try again.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM

What, 2 or 3 times in 5 years? So I'm assuming, since his record was so good for 3 of those years and they reached the playoffs each time, that you saw a winning football team. And in how many of those games you watched did Herm have a "clock management problem"? Please detail those experiences.

I think that people here read headline "Herm has no clock management skills" and assume that it's 100% true. And if that's the case, the guy has to be, without a doubt, the BEST FOOTBALL COACH OF ALL TIME! Why? Because it would be absolutely impossible for his teams to have played as well as they've played and reached the playoffs 3 times with such poor clock management skills.

This is getting to be re-goddamn-diculous.

OldNo7
01-18-2006, 02:44 PM
Mike Heimerdinger was receivers coach for the Broncos during the Super Bowl championship run. He left to become OC for the Titans, then the Jets, and is rumored to be returning to the Broncos once Kubiak takes over in Houston.

As a Shanahan disciple, Heimerdinger has always run a variant of the WCO. He's tailored it to the personnel of each team--he had McNair go downfield more, this year w/ the Jets he was screwed by all the injuries.

andoman
01-18-2006, 07:06 PM
I'll take a ~.500 coach as long as it reads something like this:

Yr1 2-12
Yr2 4-14
Yr3 8-8
Yr4 19-0