PDA

View Full Version : Marty fires Carl Mauck, Albert Lewis.

chefsos
01-18-2006, 09:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2297337&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers fired offensive line coach Carl Mauck and assistant secondary coach Albert Lewis on Wednesday.

Each had a year left on his contract.

"At times this can be a difficult business and we have to make tough decisions," coach Marty Schottenheimer said in a statement. "These are good football men with valuable experience in this league. I thanked them for their hard work and wished them both well."

Mauck was hired last offseason after Hudson Houck took a big-money offer from Miami. The Chargers returned their entire line from the team that won the AFC West title in 2004, although left tackle Roman Oben got hurt on Oct. 30 and didn't play again.

The line struggled late in the season, when the Chargers lost three of their last four games to miss the playoffs for the ninth time in 10 seasons, finishing 9-7.

Schottenheimer was irritated enough with the line after a loss at Kansas City on Dec. 24 that he spoke in the third person, saying: "We haven't run the ball as efficiently as Marty Schottenheimer would like to run the ball."

In the season finale against Denver on Dec. 31, Broncos safety John Lynch blew through the line to blindside quarterbacks Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. The hit on Brees caused him to fumble, and he hurt his shoulder in the scramble for the ball, requiring surgery.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked the Chargers' official site just to make sure that this was indeed the ex-Chief Albert Lewis.

He and Mauck have been erased from existence.

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches.cfm

Sure-Oz
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Albert "i always wanted to be a raider" Lewis?? Harvey Williams part of the staff?

Bowser
01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
I'd take Albert Lewis over Peter Guinta in a heartbeat. Lewis helped make a pretty decent corner out of Quentin Jammer.

chefsos
01-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Maybe Albert should go to Denver to complete his tour of the AFC West.

Frankie
01-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Marty keep your dirty hands off Solari.

rtmike
01-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Albert "i always wanted to be a raider" Lewis?? Harvey Williams part of the staff?

I forgot all about Williams. Did that dude have a neck on him or what,lol!

Mecca
01-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Both Albert Lewis and Kevin Ross were fired this offseason.........Not a good year to be a former Chief corner.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2006, 11:47 PM
I didnt realize that Lewis had gotten into coaching? Is Hasty coaching now too?

ChiefsCountry
01-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Hasty is on Cold Pizza.

Dave Lane
01-19-2006, 01:25 AM
Kinda shows what happens when you lose your LT now doesn't it?

Dave

Kerberos
01-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Kinda shows what happens when you lose your LT now doesn't it?

Dave

Man that was the first thing I thought as well.

I guess if you have a SHITTY left tackle and he goes down you don't miss him near as bad.... because you probably have someone just as shitty behind him to take his spot!

I pains me to think of what we are going to do this draft to address LT since we know Roaf isn't going to be around more than another year or two at the most! :hmmm:

jspchief
01-19-2006, 08:29 AM
I'd take Albert Lewis over Peter Guinta in a heartbeat. Lewis helped make a pretty decent corner out of Quentin Jammer.I was thinking just the opposite. SD has drafted some good corners that haven't grown into their potential.

To have Sammy Davis, Quentin Jammer, and Drayton Florence along with their pass rush, and still be that bad against the pass indicates that Lewis isn't getting the job done IMO.

Chiefnj
01-19-2006, 08:36 AM
I was thinking just the opposite. SD has drafted some good corners that haven't grown into their potential.

To have Sammy Davis, Quentin Jammer, and Drayton Florence along with their pass rush, and still be that bad against the pass indicates that Lewis isn't getting the job done IMO.

Yep. Those guys were three pretty highly rated DB's coming out of college. If anything, those guys have underachieved (like Sims).