Matt Helm
01-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Posted on Wed, Jan. 18, 2006
Chiefs' Saunders on hold while younger men picked

Updated: Jan. 19, 2006, 1:31 PM ET
Redskins hire Saunders as offensive coordinator

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ESPN_In_House_Marketing/Dec_2005/espn-146x46-0001.gif (http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=3A35260E-9EBF-485E-AE03-65F4CBCEDE8A&drop=0&addata=1332:275:218152:65&a=1&goto=http://www.mobileespn.com?campaign=mobile&source=insider_ah)

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs upgraded his offense Thursday by adding one of the brightest offensive minds to his sidelines.
Gibbs hired Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator, convincing him to sign a three-year contract worth more than $2 million a year. Saunders was considered the leading candidate for the Raiders head coaching job after their first set of three interviews but he had not been offered the job.
With only two head coaching opportunities left -- Oakland and Buffalo -- Saunders was fielding a lot of phone calls by teams and coaches who wanted him as their offensive coordinator. The biggest surprise was the arrival of Gibbs in Kansas City on Wednesday.
Gibbs made Saunders an offer he couldn't refuse, a deal that trumped a chance to be a head coach. After the season, Gibbs talked defensive coordinator Gregg Williams into staying instead of taking a head coaching job on an other team. Williams received a three-year, $7.8 million deal. His deal, the most lucrative ever for an assistant coach, includes a $1 million bonus if he is not named the Washington head coach when Gibbs retires.
The Redskins offense finished 11th in the league but faded toward the end of the season and during the playoffs because of a knee injury that slowed down quarterback Mark Brunell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=2485) and injuries to receivers on the other side of wide receiver Santana Moss (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5463).
Saunders was a natural fit because he learned the system of Gibbs and Don Coryell in San Diego as an assistant coach from 1983 through 1985. Saunders became the Chargers head coach from 1986 through 1988, where he compiled a 17-22 record.
Since joining the Chiefs in 2001, Saunders has been running one of the NFL's hottest offenses. The Chiefs finished first in the league averaging 387 yards a game in 2005. They averaged 25.2 points a game. Under his stewardship, the unit never ranked lower than No. 5 in the NFL in total offense, and was No. 1 each of the last two seasons.
His new assignment is to spice up a Redskins offense that averaged 22.4 points a game.
The Washington offense statistically ranked 11th in 2005, a big jump over its No. 30 finish in 2004, but still was inconsistent down the stretch and especially in the playoffs.

Bob Dole
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
It's an outdated repost.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=134041

Saunders in now the Redskin's OC.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Aren't older men always put on hold for younger men.

TEX
01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
“If I was that new coach coming in,” Simms said, “I’d go right away to Al Saunders and say, ‘How much money do you need?’ and I would keep him there. I like the design of their offense tremendously. It’s varied. It’s power running. They run reverses, screens. They throw it down the field. It’s one of the best I’ve watched schemewise in the NFL.”

Exactly...

Matt Helm
01-19-2006, 02:24 PM
It's an outdated repost.

Found new info and reposted.

StcChief
01-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Good for Al. guess take over for Gibbs if all goes well in few years. Wait Synder is in charge.

Matt Helm
01-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Good for Al. guess take over for Gibbs if all goes well in few years. Wait Synder is in charge.

When Gibbs retires Greg Williams is guaranteed the HC job. If he is not named as HC at that time he gets a $1,000,000 bonus.

ChiefsOne
01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
That's less than 1mil a year, what was he getting here?

Williams gets 5mil more than Saunders for the same time span!

Matt Helm
01-19-2006, 03:18 PM

The money talked about was Williams salary and bonus. Al is getting more than $2,000,000 per year.

Hoover
01-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Sims needs to now say, "If I were the Redskins I'd trade Santana Moss and LaVar Arrington to the Chiefs for 5 conditional 7th round picks over the next 5 years."

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 03:40 PM
Carl and Herm are taking a pretty big risk by letting Saunders walk. If this offense dips this year in the slightest, say we dip to like 10th to 15th in the league, guess who we the fans will blame? Herm! Ill be pissed if Herm messes with this offense.

Mecca
01-19-2006, 03:42 PM
Carl and Herm are taking a pretty big risk by letting Saunders walk. If this offense dips this year in the slightest, say we dip to like 10th to 15th in the league, guess who we the fans will blame? Herm! Ill be pissed if Herm messes with this offense.

Saunders wasn't coming back, you can't exactly blame Herm for a guy leaving when it was pretty obvious he didn't wanna be here anymore.

Matt Helm
01-19-2006, 03:44 PM

As always: Carl Peterson.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Saunders wasn't coming back, you can't exactly blame Herm for a guy leaving when it was pretty obvious he didn't wanna be here anymore.

I dont understand why they didnt make a better effort to sooth his hurt feelings though?? The guy was a HUGE reason for our offensive success the past 5 years. Oh well...Good for Al. I guess i cant blame him for leaving.

BigChiefFan
01-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Greener pastures to be ANOTHER OC???!!!! I really would have liked to have seen him stay on as the OC for the Chiefs.

htismaqe
01-19-2006, 03:56 PM
How do you know they didn't make a better offer? Maybe Al just wanted out?

Extra Point
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm now a Redskins fan. Nice chatting with you guys!

KingPriest2
01-19-2006, 04:18 PM

convincing him to sign a three-year contract worth more than $2 million a year

dtebbe
01-19-2006, 04:43 PM
When Gibbs retires Greg Williams is guaranteed the HC job. If he is not named as HC at that time he gets a $1,000,000 bonus.

You forget, we are not talking about the Chiefs here... for Dan Snyder handing out $1,000,000 is like handing out a twenty for most of us. He'll do whatever he thinks he needs to do to win. What a fuc*ing concept!

DT

John Matrix
01-19-2006, 05:00 PM
F*ck that c*cksucker Snyder. There's a difference between doing what you need to do to win and spending money like a f*cktard to gain an advantage, which is what he's done his first 6 years as owner. Fortunately he's been pretty goddamned incompetent so far. Smart move hiring Saunders, but goddamn it pisses me off that he's gone. He should have been the Chiefs' head coach, but I guess we can thank King Carl and his band of cronies for that bullsh*t.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
He'll do whatever he thinks he needs to do to win. What a fuc*ing concept!

DT

Too bad it hasnt gotten the man jack sh*T. I love his enthusiam, but alot of what he does makes zero sense. Unfortunately for us, this one does.

BigChiefFan
01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Good luck, Saunders-You did a Helluva job for the Chiefs!!!

LiL stumppy
01-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I don't understand why he would except a OC position in a different place.I can see a HC position but,with all he had done here, I would think he would stay?It doesn't make since to me.

Sure-Oz
01-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I think if he can make the redskins and offensive force again that may say more about his coaching , cuz everyone knows their O sucked balls in the playoffs/

NJ Chief Fan
01-19-2006, 06:02 PM
didnt herm already say at his introductory press conference that he wasnt going to touch this offense

kcxiv
01-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Too bad it hasnt gotten the man jack sh*T. I love his enthusiam, but alot of what he does makes zero sense. Unfortunately for us, this one does.more play off wins then the chiefs have in the last 10 years .lol

Sure-Oz
01-19-2006, 06:04 PM
I think the offense will likely stay the same, i dont see how it can change much, you'd be a total dumbass to **** up what isn't broke. This O works with mediocre WR's

FloridaMan88
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
My hatred for Carl Peterson just went up a notch.

This is all Peterson's fault. I'm sure Al Saunders would have stayed in KC and continued to be the OC if it wasn't for the way Peterson has treated him.

I have a very bad feeling about this. I hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of what happened to the Vikings this past year where they let their offensive coordinator (Linehan) walk and replaced him with their offensive line coach and their offense wasn't the same.

Thig Lyfe
01-19-2006, 07:03 PM
wwwwwwha?? I thought he wanted to be strictly a HC?

milkman
01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I don't understand why he would except a OC position in a different place.I can see a HC position but,with all he had done here, I would think he would stay?It doesn't make since to me.

It makes perfect sense to me.

I've been saying since the day that Hermie got hired that there was no way in hell Al would return to KC as OC.

Carl has ****ed him twice now, and he's been ****ed in KC a total of three times.

No way he was going to bend over a fourth time.

tk13
01-19-2006, 07:11 PM

This is all Peterson's fault. I'm sure Al Saunders would have stayed in KC and continued to be the OC if it wasn't for the way Peterson has treated him.

I have a very bad feeling about this. I hope this doesn't turn into a repeat of what happened to the Vikings this past year where they let their offensive coordinator (Linehan) walk and replaced him with their offensive line coach and their offense wasn't the same.
I think we're probably going to see some bumps along the way, which will cause some grumbling I'm sure. Simply because we replaced a guy with tons of experience as an OC with a guy who has never called a game. This is definitely the best way to keep the "status quo", but I'm sure things will be different in some form. I imagine Solari might be a little more run happy because he's a lineman, but Andy Reid isn't at all, so who knows. We didn't lose anyone the offensive equivalent of Randy Moss though, so we should be okay I think.

milkman
01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
didnt herm already say at his introductory press conference that he wasnt going to touch this offense

How can he not touch the offense?

The man behind it is gone, and was never going to return.

Doesn't matter who hands the reins over too, it will not be the same.

philfree
01-19-2006, 07:29 PM

The only other way for Peterson to treat Saunders that would have mattered would have been to make him HC. Unlike Side Winder I thought Al might stay in KC for another year or so. To me though it looks like his leaving was came from mutual respect between he and the Chiefs. IMO Saunders was a great fit under DV and he'll be a great fit under Gibbs. On the other hand I don't know that he would have been such a good fit under Edwards and I don't know that he'll make a good HC. I feel like this is gonna work out the best for all parties involved.

PhilFree:arrow:

philfree
01-19-2006, 07:32 PM
How can he not touch the offense?

The man behind it is gone, and was never going to return.

Doesn't matter who hands the reins over too, it will not be the same.

It could end up being better. With all the records and yards and points Als offense put up it seemed that we always had trouble running out the clock in close games and actually controlling the games with our O. That's one aspect of our O that I'll be looking for improvement in next season.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
F*ck that c*cksucker Snyder. There's a difference between doing what you need to do to win and spending money like a f*cktard to gain an advantage, which is what he's done his first 6 years as owner. Fortunately he's been pretty goddamned incompetent so far. Smart move hiring Saunders, but goddamn it pisses me off that he's gone. He should have been the Chiefs' head coach, but I guess we can thank King Carl and his band of cronies for that bullsh*t.

What in the hell did Snyder do wrong? It's admirable to care about winning.

This is all on King Carl.

milkman
01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
The only other way for Peterson to treat Saunders that would have mattered would have been to make him HC. Unlike Side Winder I thought Al might stay in KC for another year or so. To me though it looks like his leaving was came from mutual respect between he and the Chiefs. IMO Saunders was a great fit under DV and he'll be a great fit under Gibbs. On the other hand I don't know that he would have been such a good fit under Edwards and I don't know that he'll make a good HC. I feel like this is gonna work out the best for all parties involved.

Where do you see any eveidence of "mutual respect"?

pr_capone
01-19-2006, 09:39 PM

My thoughts exactly. After EARNING the HC position several times and being passed over each time the job was available by Carl shows a severe lack of respect for the man.

philfree
01-19-2006, 09:54 PM

I was just going buy what Herm said when asked about it.

milkman
01-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I was just going buy what Herm said when asked about it.

It looked more like deflecting to me than anything that implied respect.

philfree
01-19-2006, 10:08 PM
It looked more like deflecting to me than anything that implied respect.

So our perceptions differ. How bout the part about where I saidI feel like this is gonna work out the best for all parties involved. Do you disagree with that notion too?

milkman
01-19-2006, 10:42 PM
So our perceptions differ. How bout the part about where I said Do you disagree with that notion too?

I will wait to see Solari in action as OC.

At this point, all we know about Solari is that he is a competent O-Line coach.

Boon
01-19-2006, 10:47 PM
It's an outdated repost.

Yeah Athan had this one a couple of weeks ago.

Wait a minute--that one was Al would be HC at Detroit.
My bad.

doomy3
01-19-2006, 11:02 PM
My thoughts exactly. After EARNING the HC position several times and being passed over each time the job was available by Carl shows a severe lack of respect for the man.

I just don't understand how he EARNED the HC position several times. He was a very good OC for us yes, but to say he earned the right to be our OC, I just don't see. Remember that Gunther was a very good DC for us before he EARNED the right to become our head coach. Not saying it would go like that, but who knows. IMO, we got the best HC out of any team that signed a HC this offseason. And obviously the Chiefs aren't the only ones who thought Al hadn't EARNED a HC position, seeing as how he was passed over time and time again. Helluva OC, but for whatever reason, the Chiefs and several other teams don't feel like he is the right fit for their HC position. I do in fact think that Carl respects him very much as an OC, but not as a HC.

doomy3
01-19-2006, 11:03 PM

I agree

doomy3
01-19-2006, 11:04 PM
It could end up being better. With all the records and yards and points Als offense put up it seemed that we always had trouble running out the clock in close games and actually controlling the games with our O. That's one aspect of our O that I'll be looking for improvement in next season.

+1

Go back and look through the game threads and see how many times that Al was flamed on this board for play calling at the end of halves, as well as the red zone. Maybe Solari will be a better fit.

doomy3
01-19-2006, 11:43 PM
What in the hell did Snyder do wrong? It's admirable to care about winning.

This is all on King Carl.

Isn't that kind of the same thing that Carl did with Edwards? Like the move or not, Carl went out and "overpaid" in some people's eyes, much the same way that some could say that Snyder overpaid to get Snyder. Both of them basically did the same thing, and wanted their guy and did what it took to get them. Again like the hiring of Herm or not, there's no way anybody could blame Carl for not being willing to spend money or resources (draft picks) on coaches that he wants. Hell, we have had the most expensive coaching staff in the NFL for the Vermeil era, so really, in this instance, Peterson is no different than Snyder.