PDA

View Full Version : didn't sound like Chiefs tried too hard to keep saunders

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 05:06 PM
"did you ask al saunder to stay?"

edwards "Al is one of these guys that is going to be up for a head coaching job every year, you know"

"did you try and convince al saunders to stay?"

edwards "i don't try an convince ANYONE to stay ... we talk and decided what was best for both of us"

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 05:07 PM
very odd sounding comments...

penguinz
01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Who cares.

FringeNC
01-19-2006, 05:09 PM
It might not be on Edwards. Saunders may have told Carl to **** off.

Hammock Parties
01-19-2006, 05:10 PM
We'll see how Saunders does in Washington with an offensive line that is pretty average.

TEX
01-19-2006, 05:10 PM
very odd sounding comments...

And unfortunately Herm Edwards is a master of this. Man I can't believe he's actually the Chiefs HC. :shake:

Deberg_1990
01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Get ready for:

Herm: "Id like to welcome back my good friend, Paul Hackett back to KC as an offensive consultant to Mike Solari" LOL

tk13
01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah, hard telling. Saunders could've said there was no way on earth he was staying, and Herm isn't gonna spill the beans on that.

hawkchief
01-19-2006, 05:15 PM
What Fringe said.

I'll bet Al told Carl to kiss his a$$. Why would Saunders want to keep working for such a tool? Carl needed another yes man, and he got it. Sucks for us.

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, hard telling. Saunders could've said there was no way on earth he was staying, and Herm isn't gonna spill the beans on that.

very true ... but it was weird

you know when you hear an interview and you can tell the guy is trying avoid saying something?

Edwards was dancing hard :shrug:

Hammock Parties
01-19-2006, 05:17 PM
What's interesting is that Saunders and Gibbs don't really mesh that well when it comes to offensive philosophies.

Gibbs likes to keep multiple tight ends and backs in to protect.

Saunders wants to put five eligible receivers out in the pass patterns every damn time.

TEX
Get ready for:

Herm: "Id like to welcome back my good friend, Paul Hackett back to KC as an offensive consultant to Mike Solari" LOL

Or even worse...

Herm: "I'd like to welcome my good friend, Jimmy Raye back to KC as an offensive consultant to Mike Solari. He did a fine job of of consulting Paul Hackett in our Red Zone Offense a few years ago."

penguinz
Get ready for:

You are an idiot. Hackett is not going to leave Tampa.

KcMizzou
01-19-2006, 05:37 PM
You are an idiot. It's "Your and idiot", moran.

Katie
01-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I think this has more to do with Vermeil leaving and Saunders not getting along too well with King Carl. Sounded like Vermeil acted as the buffer between the two and now that he's gone Saunders wants out.

Herm isn't stupid, I think he would have liked to have him back...

Mr. Laz
01-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Herm isn't stupid
link?

:p

Calcountry
01-19-2006, 06:58 PM
"did you ask al saunder to stay?"

edwards "Al is one of these guys that is going to be up for a head coaching job every year, you know"

edwards "i don't try an convince ANYONE to stay ... we talk and decided what was best for both of us"I am assuming that is a direct quote? Well, we know one thing for sure. We went from the glib and artuculate to the GeorgeWanian.

Katie
01-19-2006, 06:59 PM
link?
:p

No link, this is America...innocent until proven guilty.

sedated
01-19-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm sure Herm wanted him to stay, he's creamed his pants dreaming about an offense like this, but it was pretty clear from the beginning Saunders wasn't staying.

When Washington locked up GWilliams, they did it right at the end of the season, so he couldn't even interview for HC jobs.

If KingCarl wanted to keep him, it would have gotten done.

B_Ambuehl
01-19-2006, 07:06 PM
What's interesting is that Saunders and Gibbs don't really mesh that well when it comes to offensive philosophies.

Gibbs likes to keep multiple tight ends and backs in to protect.

Saunders wants to put five eligible receivers out in the pass patterns every damn time.

Although it does appear that way, interestingly enough, they both run the same offense. Run the ball behind road grading lineman, play action, and go down the field. I think the main difference is Gibbs tried very hard to protect his lineman and his quarterback and they had to sacrifice a lot. Saunders also uses a lot of multiple tight end sets. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with that offense. I think the biggest weakness in washingtons passing game was they eliminated 1/2 the field on the majority of their passing plays as they would always play action and Brunell would either scramble left or roll out left.

Frosty
01-19-2006, 07:06 PM
No link, this is America...innocent until proven guilty.

HOW long have you been on this board again?

milkman
01-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Although it does appear that way, interestingly enough, they both run the same offense. Run the ball behind road grading lineman, play action, and go down the field. I think the main difference is Gibbs tried very hard to protect his lineman and his quarterback and they had to sacrifice a lot. Saunders also uses a lot of multiple tight end sets. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with that offense. I think the biggest weakness in washingtons passing game was they eliminated 1/2 the field on the majority of their passing plays as they would always play action and Brunell would either scramble left or roll out left.

They both learned the same system on Coryell's staff in SD.
Both have adapted that system to fit with the personnel they have on offense.

It might take a few games, but Al wiil learen what the players on that offense are capable of, and adapt accordingly.

By season's end, I expect that Skins offense will be a force to be reckoned with.

C-Mac
01-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Interesting notable....

2000 with Jimmy Raye
Head Coach: Gunther Cunningham
Points scored: 355 (#9 of 31 in the NFL)

2001 with Saunders(1st year) the offense actually declined.
Head Coach: Dick Vermeil
Points scored: 320 (#16 of 31 in the NFL)

It may take a couple of years in Washington before Al gets it going.

Bowser
01-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Get ready for:

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you to go eat a turd.

milkman
01-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Interesting notable....

2000 with Jimmy Raye

I would doubt it.

He didn't really have in known quality in KC when he first got here, other than Gonzalez, and he had to install the system.

In Washington, he has Moss and Portis, and they already have the system in place, he just has to make adjustments.

J Diddy
01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Interesting notable....

2000 with Jimmy Raye

not to mention 2001 he had nobody at wr worth a poop....

jettio
01-19-2006, 08:42 PM

I think Gibbs is from the Sid Gilliam-Don Coryell line of coaches, as is Saunders.

As far as who their long time friends in the coaching fraternity are, they know the same folks.

PastorMikH
01-19-2006, 10:10 PM

edwards "i don't try an convince ANYONE to stay ... we talk and decided what was best for both of us"

After taking several positions now with existing staff in place, this is the attitude I have developed. It isn't too hard to figure out if the person in position wants to work with you or not. If they don't there isn't much you're going to do to change it. If you have to beg (or convince) someone to stay, it just invites more trouble down the road.

I even told a church once that offered me a position no based on the fact that they were wanting to keep a youth pastor on staff and I didn't have a say in the matter. In doing my research, I knew he was a quality guy, but also picked up from different conversations and such that there was a lot of potential for trouble (Incedentily, they guy wanted to be the Head Pastor but he wasn't selected however the church wanted to keep him on as the youth minister). The next pastor had fits with the guy and had a hard time cutting ties with the guy. Now, the guy was and is still a good youth minister, but he was part of the old staff and loyalties don't always transfer not to mention that he had a grudge against the new pastor because he really wanted that position.

Herm not begging Al to stay doesn't bother me at all.

keg in kc
01-20-2006, 12:52 AM
The question in my mind is whether it's a case of the Chiefs not trying hard to retain Saunders, or Saunders not trying hard to stay with the Chiefs. Or both.

Joe Seahawk
01-20-2006, 01:20 AM
It is way strange to me that the Chiefs retained their DC and fired their OC in light of what has happened the last few years.. Perhaps there is a good reason, but it just seems weird to me..

DAMMIT CARL!!

Hammock Parties
01-20-2006, 01:39 AM
It is way strange to me that the Chiefs retained their DC and fired their OC in light of what has happened the last few years.. Perhaps there is a good reason, but it just seems weird to me..

DAMMIT CARL!!

Just another symptom of how incompetent this organization is.

By the way, we tried it the other way two years ago. :D

alanm
01-20-2006, 01:42 AM
The question in my mind is whether it's a case of the Chiefs not trying hard to retain Saunders, or Saunders not trying hard to stay with the Chiefs. Or both.
I honestly believe that Saunders offense isn't exactly what they had in mind when Herm took over. I think it's going to change this year and look like some kind of hybrid Coryell and WC offense. I'm also starting to worry about gameday play calling and strategy. Solari and Shea doing the playcalling and you know Edwards is going to want to get involved. With Vermeil it was just Saunders doing the playcalling with Vermeil chipping in now and then.
It's going to be different, I suppose we best get used to it.

kregger
01-20-2006, 01:44 AM
How long before Washington gets to unveil the secret weapon #84.?

keg in kc
01-20-2006, 03:09 AM
I honestly believe that Saunders offense isn't exactly what they had in mind when Herm took over. I think it's going to change this year and look like some kind of hybrid Coryell and WC offense. I'm also starting to worry about gameday play calling and strategy. Solari and Shea doing the playcalling and you know Edwards is going to want to get involved. With Vermeil it was just Saunders doing the playcalling with Vermeil chipping in now and then.
It's going to be different, I suppose we best get used to it.I think it was Saunders' choice. He was gone as soon as he didn't get the HC job. The only suprise is that it was a lateral move, but with what Snyder is paying him, why not go there.

I think Edwards would have kept him it he could, and I don't think he'll (Edwards) be involved in the playcalling in any way. And I haven't seen anything yet that tells me they won't be as aggressive next year as they are now. Maybe that'll show in camp. Maybe Solari will simplify the offense and we won't have 400 passing plays in the book every week or something like that, but I don't think we're going Martyball.

Now, if they cut half the offense and then sign only defense in FA, well, then I might start buying into that.

RNR
01-20-2006, 06:21 AM
It is hard to blame Saunders for taking the Redskins job. I am sure he felt he deserved the head job in KC (I do not know the inside story but I and many others felt he would get it) He nows goes to a team on the upswing for great money and a head coach who will be steping down soon. Maybe he feels he will get a shot to take over there.

Looking at the other offers he faced Washinton is pretty attractive. Lets face the facts Gunther is a rare bird willing to swollow his pride and play 2nd fiddle with no hard feelings, few would or could do the same. It is most likely for the best that he moved on. On a side note I don't feel the hire KC made was a upgrade and can't blame him for having a case of the ass.

siberian khatru
01-20-2006, 06:58 AM
not to mention 2001 he had nobody at wr worth a poop....

And no Willie Roaf.

It also took Al awhile to figure out what he had in Priest Holmes.

chief52
01-20-2006, 07:08 AM
The decision was Saunders', not the Chiefs. AS decided to move on for much "greener" pastures. I do not blame him. To blame the Chiefs for AS's decision to leave is crazy...

King_Chief_Fan
01-20-2006, 07:14 AM
After taking several positions now with existing staff in place, this is the attitude I have developed. It isn't too hard to figure out if the person in position wants to work with you or not. If they don't there isn't much you're going to do to change it. If you have to beg (or convince) someone to stay, it just invites more trouble down the road.

I even told a church once that offered me a position no based on the fact that they were wanting to keep a youth pastor on staff and I didn't have a say in the matter. In doing my research, I knew he was a quality guy, but also picked up from different conversations and such that there was a lot of potential for trouble (Incedentily, they guy wanted to be the Head Pastor but he wasn't selected however the church wanted to keep him on as the youth minister). The next pastor had fits with the guy and had a hard time cutting ties with the guy. Now, the guy was and is still a good youth minister, but he was part of the old staff and loyalties don't always transfer not to mention that he had a grudge against the new pastor because he really wanted that position.

Herm not begging Al to stay doesn't bother me at all.

I agree with the Pastor on this.

PastorMikH
01-20-2006, 08:50 AM
It also took Al awhile to figure out what he had in Priest Holmes.

And then he had to re-learn that the next season too. It also took him longer to realize what he had in LJ.

CoMoChief
01-20-2006, 10:24 AM
It sounds like Herm didn't want any distractions of having an OC that is and should be HC calibur. He wanted someone that knows he's working under him and that the HC runs the show. sounds like Herm didn't want any competition.

Extra Point
01-20-2006, 10:43 AM
"Peterson had enough of Saunders out-running the secondary in practice."

Whoever came up with that one, created a gem!

htismaqe
01-20-2006, 10:44 AM
Sounds to me like Al told them to **** off and Herm's just decided not to bash him in the media.