PDA

View Full Version : Jets' Heimerdinger wants out

chefsos
01-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Not really Chiefs related other than the Herm angle, but it once again makes me glad we're not the Jets, and of course there's potential for poop in Shanahan's punchbowl.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/sports/football/20jets.html

Assistant for Jets Wants Out of Contract

By KAREN CROUSE
Published: January 20, 2006

Just when the Jets seemed ready to start anew, they appeared to find themselves bogged down in another coaching morass, this one involving their offensive coordinator, Mike Heimerdinger.

The Jets, through their spokesman, Ron Colangelo, said last night that Heimerdinger had been retained to run the offense under the new coach, Eric Mangini. But Heimerdinger's agent said his client wished to be released from his contract and was being kept on the Jets' staff against his will.

"That is what is so incredulous to me, because this just doesn't add up," Heimerdinger's agent, Bob LaMonte, said last night. "I just hope we can get beyond this."

A year ago yesterday, Heimerdinger, 53, walked away from a contract extension with the Tennessee Titans to double his salary with the Jets. At the time, he said he was lured to New York not just by the $1 million-a-year salary but also by the promise of working under Coach Herman Edwards.

But days after the conclusion of the Jets' 4-12 season, Edwards was released from the final two years of his contract so he could pursue the head-coaching job in Kansas City. The Jets essentially traded Edwards to the Chiefs for a fourth-round draft pick less than two months after the owner, Woody Johnson, had been effusive in his praise of Edwards, his fifth-year coach.

It is accepted as the nature of the N.F.L. that the seismic event that is a head coach's departure is always followed by aftershocks, with coordinators and coaches being dismissed or leaving for other jobs. It is considered unusual for a holdover coach to be held to his contract, especially if he had interviewed for the head-coaching job, as Heimerdinger had.

Mangini, whose six years in New England were spent entirely on the defensive side of the ball, could conceivably learn much by plugging into Heimerdinger's expertise with N.F.L. offenses. Heimerdinger has been in coaching for 25 years and has spent 11 seasons in the league. He was the receivers coach in Denver for five years and the offensive coordinator in Tennessee for five more before joining the Jets, where the deep-passing offense he installed in training camp had to be scrapped after the lineup was gutted by injuries.

Heimerdinger, through his agent, declined an interview request yesterday. If he desires a fresh start, there are good reasons. The tie that bound him to the Jets was Edwards. And he was passed over for the top job in favor of Mangini, who is younger and less experienced.

Heimerdinger's stance, according to two people close to him who were granted anonymity because they were revealing details from private conversations, is basically this: If the Jets did not consider him valuable enough to promote, why do they want him to stay?

If Heimerdinger were to leave the Jets, he could end up back with the Denver Broncos, working on the staff of Mike Shanahan, who was Heimerdinger's college roommate at Eastern Illinois. He would be a candidate to replace Gary Kubiak, the Broncos' offensive coordinator, who is expected to be named the Texans' coach once Denver's season ends.

While Heimerdinger was retained, at least for the time being, the Jets' defensive coordinator, Donnie Henderson, who was also a candidate to replace Edwards, was not. He was released from his contract yesterday, as were the receivers coach, Pep Hamilton, and the tight ends coach, John Zernhelt.

The Jets are expected to announce that Bob Sutton, the linebackers coach, is being promoted to defensive coordinator. He will continue to work with the defensive backs coach, Corwin Brown, and the defensive line coach, Denny Marcin, who were retained.

Sutton, 54, a holdover from Al Groh's staff, has been coaching the linebackers for six seasons. Before that, he spent nine years as the coach at Army.

Mike Westhoff, 58, the assistant head coach in charge of special teams, is in a position similar to Heimerdinger's. He also interviewed for the head-coaching job and has been retained.

tk13
01-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I read his comments about this earlier today, he didn't seem too pleased. This is the first I've read of him wanting out though... he's a good coach. It's the first I've read of Westhoff being retained too.

Taco John
01-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Damn is Bradway one of the dumbest sons of bitches or what? I'm sure he thought he'd be able to get the best of both worlds by passing over Heimerdinger for the job and bringing in Mangini. It probably sounded really good in his pea-brain.

There's no way a 53-year old holdover who interviewed for the job is going to want to work for the 35 year old, no matter how promising he is.

This is why it was great when Shanahan came in to be GM. He didn't have to try and implement someone elses stupid vision of what the team should be. He came in, insalled HIS program, hired HIS guys, and holds HIMself accountable for the entire package.

Shanahan rules.

tk13
01-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, there seems to be some speculation on the Jets boards of who's running the show over there, Mangini or Bradway...

chefsos
01-20-2006, 12:35 AM
I've heard on ESPN radio that Heimerdinger said he went to the Jets mainly to work for Herm Edwards, and now he's working for someone who's not named Herm Edwards. Throw in the fact that he interviewed for the HC job and was stiffed, you've got the makings of an extremely unhappy camper.

There's no way in hell he stays there now, contract or not.

DaWolf
01-20-2006, 04:42 AM
I've heard on ESPN radio that Heimerdinger said he went to the Jets mainly to work for Herm Edwards, and now he's working for someone who's not named Herm Edwards. Throw in the fact that he interviewed for the HC job and was stiffed, you've got the makings of an extremely unhappy camper.

There's no way in hell he stays there now, contract or not.

Here's the quote:

"I'm not upset because this may be a rebuilding situation," he told the Newark Star-Ledger. "I'm upset because I came to work for Herman Edwards and I'm having to stay and work for someone not named Herman Edwards.

"Also, I'm upset because I interviewed for the [head] job and obviously I was third in the pecking order [behind Mangini and Mike Tice]. So, I wasn't good enough for the job and I still have to stay. I'm not happy with the situation."

the Talking Can
01-20-2006, 05:49 AM
and now you know why AS left...

Amnorix
01-20-2006, 06:34 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

chief52
01-20-2006, 06:50 AM
Edward's comment that he did not try to persuade AS or anyone to stay makes sense, especially in this light. AS apparently did not want to stay here and I can understand why. You only want a staff to include people who want to be there. There is no way it will work out for the Jets if they try to hold Mike Heimerdinger to his contract. Mangini needs to step up and tell them he does not want Heimerdinger on his staff.