PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Wayne

Hoover
01-20-2006, 09:06 AM
26 years old, great WR, and a FA.

I'd love to see him in KC.

Any chance?

I think we need a DE more, but Wayne would be a nice pick up, and the colst can't keep James and Wayne.

teedubya
01-20-2006, 09:06 AM
this is the FA that I most covet.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-20-2006, 09:10 AM
If we signed him we would actually have a number one receiver.

Hoover
01-20-2006, 09:12 AM
I think Wayne, and Parker would be a really nice Combo, Heck for Next year Parker would be in the slot, with Kennison as the #2

jspchief
01-20-2006, 09:14 AM
I don't see it happening. I don't think we fill the WR spot until Kennison retires or has a noticeable drop-off in production.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Just think of how we could stretch the field out. LJ pounding. Running more play action. Man o Man would that be exciting.

Eleazar
01-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Would be nice, but I guess we also don't know what he will do without Manning and Harrison.

Much rather spend the money on defense...

Hoover
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
I agree if we can get John Abraham we need to do it. But if we can't land a top FA DE, I think we need to look at Wayne.

morphius
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
I know he is a decent WR and all, but I fear it could end up being a bit like Peerless Price was. Just looked good because everyone was paying a lot more attention to other players.

ChiefsfaninPA
01-20-2006, 09:20 AM
The money would definetely be better spent on D but if we are going to waste money like we did last year aquiring players like Bell and Hall, I would much rather spend it on a offensive playmaker like Wayne.

ct
01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
expensive, very

BigChiefFan
01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
There's no doubt that Wayne is a talented receiver. We could certainly use an upgrade at the position, but I don't think we'll spend any FA money on the offensive side of the ball.

Bill Lundberg
01-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I know he is a decent WR and all, but I fear it could end up being a bit like Peerless Price was. Just looked good because everyone was paying a lot more attention to other players.

My thoughts exactly.

ct
01-20-2006, 09:27 AM
If we signed him we would actually have a number one receiver.

How? Seeing as Reggie Wayne is a #2 WR, aside a HoF #1, on an offense so varied and explosive, he never gets the coverage of a #1, never has.

morphius called it

Mile High Mania
01-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Wayne will get a huge contract this season... I am curious to see if he can be a #1, outside an offense where the focus is on a guy named Marvin Harrison.

Can he make the leap to being the guy for an offense? Possibly, but there are a lot of #2 guys that make that change to #1 and don't pan out.

KC would likely be better served spending the $ on defense and depth, focusing on players similar to Joe J like Seattle did this past offseason.

I'm interested to see what happens now that Saunders is gone...

Mr. Christopher
01-20-2006, 09:47 AM
I would love to see Wayne opposite from Kennison (actually, I'd love to see Kennison opposite from Wayne), but I don't think it's going to happen because Wayne will command a much larger contract than the Chiefs will be willing to sign him for.

RedThat
01-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Their is no doubt in my mind that KC would be a good opportunity for him.

I just think we have more priorities than WR. Money is better spent elsewhere, like defense.

Miles
01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
He would be nice but will cost too much for a WR that still has some question about being a #1 WR. I would rather go in the direction of someone like A. Bryant.

Mile High Mania
01-20-2006, 09:50 AM
The other thing is the age of the offense... Green, Kennison, a few guys on the Oline. I'm sure Wayne and his agent will look at that and say "could be a good place for a year, maybe two... but what happens when those guys are done?"

Green and a few other key guys have a window of opportunity that is closing and the guys backing them up are not proven.

jAZ
01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
This reminds me of the Issac Bruce & Torry Holt tandem of 2000.

I'd kill to have Torry Holt on our roster now.

Reggie Wayne is bigger.

Mr. Christopher
01-20-2006, 09:54 AM
The other thing is the age of the offense... Green, Kennison, a few guys on the Oline. I'm sure Wayne and his agent will look at that and say "could be a good place for a year, maybe two... but what happens when those guys are done?"

Green and a few other key guys have a window of opportunity that is closing and the guys backing them up are not proven.
That's actually what concerns me for the upcoming years. The Chiefs offense as we know it will cease to be. Roaf, Shields, Richardson, Green, Holmes, Kennison and others are all getting long in the tooth. Who's going to replace them, and will they be the same type of players, or will the offensive scheme be completely changed when they're gone?

I think that the 2006 draft needs to include a few prospects on offensive line, and possible a (dare I say?) a QBotF.

John Matrix
01-20-2006, 09:57 AM
When I think of Reggie Wayne names like Alvin Harper and Peerless Price begin dancing in my heads...I think he's far more talented than those two, but I'd hate to see us take a freaking dirt on a huge contract like that and end up ass-raped on D b/c of it.

John Matrix
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
That's actually what concerns me for the upcoming years. The Chiefs offense as we know it will cease to be. Roaf, Shields, Richardson, Green, Holmes, Kennison and others are all getting long in the tooth. Who's going to replace them, and will they be the same type of players, or will the offensive scheme be completely changed when they're gone?

I think that the 2006 draft needs to include a few prospects on offensive line, and possible a (dare I say?) a QBotF.

We might already have prospects on the OL, the jury is still out on Svitek and Sampson, they could turn into solid players, especially since Solari will be around for a while now. I do think we need to draft another QB, I'm not jerking off over the Casey Printers signing right now, but you never know, he could at least be a solid backup, potentially. Personally, I'd like to see us go after Omar Jacobs in round 3, but I've been pimping Omar for a long time, so I do lack some objectivity there.

Hog's Gone Fishin
01-20-2006, 10:01 AM
He could be our next Johnny Morton!

Rausch
01-20-2006, 10:02 AM

Good point.

But if there's no proven talent at WR now, let alone if our current starters leave/retire, wouldn't that be even more reason to attempt to land a guy like Wayne?...

Sure-Oz
01-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Wayne i hope can be a #1 wouldnt suprise me he pulls a perriman on a team that would suck!

joesomebody
01-20-2006, 10:22 AM
I hate free agent WR's...

We need to spend a number 2 draft pick on a receiver and develop one.

ck_IN
01-20-2006, 10:33 AM
You guys are assuming that he'll be available.

The prevailing theory these days in Indy is that Pollian will sign/tag Wayne and let James go. Then draft another RB in the 1st.

At any rate unless he pulls some kind of TO, which would completely out of character for him, he'll stay in Indy.

patteeu
01-20-2006, 10:54 AM
I think the Chiefs need to address the WR position. Wayne would be an interesting possibility, but I'm not expert so I don't know if he's the best possibility. Charles Rogers may have worn out his welcome in Detroit. Rogers has baggage (drugs and injuries), but CP has gone to the Lions' well before (Perriman and Morton). You know what they say about the third time being the charm.

HC_Chief
01-20-2006, 10:55 AM
lol

Wayne = pipe dream. He's one of the top receivers in the league; would demand a huge salary. That's IF he became avbailable.

I'd bet the Colts would let Harrison go before Wayne

John Matrix
01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
The Colts would be wise to keep Wayne over James, but I think they'd be smarter to let them both go and get some more help on the other side of the ball. That defense is still a fraud, IMO, and until they improve in the secondary, they'll continue to f*ck up. The Colts could possibly draft Maroney at #30, if he slips, and sign Law in Free agency, then worry about finding another WR in the draft or through FA that would carry less expense than Wayne.

Sully
01-20-2006, 11:40 AM
FA WRs are so hit and miss that I'd hate to see the Chiefs screw their cap by signing him to a huge contract...
... that is, until they do. And then I'll be all for it.

ct
01-20-2006, 12:06 PM
lol

Wayne = pipe dream. He's one of the top receivers in the league; would demand a huge salary. That's IF he became avbailable.

I'd bet the Colts would let Harrison go before Wayne

Marvin just signed a big extension last off-season. Big enought they can't let him go. It will be Wayne or James who hits the street, and I bet it's James.

CoMoChief
01-20-2006, 12:07 PM
People are saying that teams pay more attention to Marvin Harrison, thats how Wayne gets more passes and production because of that, but how is that any different with us having Tony Gonzalez if we were to land Wayne?

OmahaChief
01-20-2006, 12:46 PM
When I think of Reggie Wayne names like Alvin Harper and Peerless Price begin dancing in my heads...I think he's far more talented than those two, but I'd hate to see us take a freaking dirt on a huge contract like that and end up ass-raped on D b/c of it.

Just to remind everyone he was a First round draft pick and holds most of the Univeristy of Miami receiving records. He is more then just a sidekick to Harrision. He has made Harrision better as well in my opinion. He has allowed Harrision to enjoy more single coverage then he was seeing. I think they have made each other better receivers.

The one thing I can say about Reggie is that he is a precise route runner with glue on his hands. Nice player.

phxchief
01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
How? Seeing as Reggie Wayne is a #2 WR, aside a HoF #1, on an offense so varied and explosive, he never gets the coverage of a #1, never has.
[/edit]

Look at the stats, or better yet, watch the games and the clutch situations if you think Reggie Wayne is the #2 on that offense.

Manning looks for Wayne EVERY time he NEEDS a throw. There isn't a better example than the Pittsburgh game.

Wayne is a considerably better WR than Harrison.

Hoover
01-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Look at the stats, or better yet, watch the games and the clutch situations if you think Reggie Wayne is the #2 on that offense.

Manning looks for Wayne EVERY time he NEEDS a throw. There isn't a better example than the Pittsburgh game.

Wayne is a considerably better WR than Harrison.
I agree. Wayne is a stud. Green needs weapons as he enters into his final years. Having Wayne would help open up Tony G, and running lanes for LJ. all the talk about Harper and Price is fine, but what else did those teams have in terms of offensive weapons? The Chiefs have weapons at every position on offense but WR.

Jim Jones
01-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Reggie Wayne = Alvin Harper, Peerless Price

Hoover
01-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Reggie Wayne = Alvin Harper, Peerless Price
Hmm thanks for the insight. I've never thought of that.

ck_IN
01-20-2006, 02:21 PM
<i>Wayne is a considerably better WR than Harrison.</i>

I don't know that I'd say that. They do different things. Marvin is the home run hitter. Wayne is the goto guy when they need a 1st down or clutch catch.

CHENZ A!
01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
I think the Chiefs need to address the WR position. Wayne would be an interesting possibility, but I'm not expert so I don't know if he's the best possibility. Charles Rogers may have worn out his welcome in Detroit. Rogers has baggage (drugs and injuries), but CP has gone to the Lions' well before (Perriman and Morton). You know what they say about the third time being the charm.

I agree, and would love to see the Chiefs take a chance on a guy like Rogers, then spend big $ on the D. Chuck has only been in the league 3 yrs, and played very few games, but you can't deny the guys talent, maybe we could get him for cheap.

BigChiefFan
01-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I agree, and would love to see the Chiefs take a chance on a guy like Rogers, then spend big $ on the D. Chuck has only been in the league 3 yrs, and played very few games, but you can't deny the guys talent, maybe we could get him for cheap.
I like Wayne ALOT better than Rogers. Wayne is still only 26 but has FIVE years of NFL experience already. He's a solid player, who's catches continue to improve every year. I think Rogers has alot of potential, but Wayne is money better spent, IMO.

teedubya
01-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I recall during a Colts game, that he has the highest percentage of receptions caught vs Balls thrown to. Like 87% Meaning, he has caught 87% of the balls thrown his way. That is great.

CHENZ A!
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I like Wayne ALOT better than Rogers. Wayne is still only 26 but has FIVE years of NFL experience already. He's a solid player, who's catches continue to improve every year. I think Rogers has alot of potential, but Wayne is money better spent, IMO.

If I'm choosing between the two, then I'd take Wayne in a heartbeat. I was just saying how a guy like Rogers should come alot cheaper because of his past problems, but still could turn out to be a go to guy. That would leave more money for improving the defensive side of the ball.