PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better movie?

Fox River
01-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Menace to Society or Boys in the Hood?

siberian khatru
01-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

chagrin
01-21-2006, 09:15 PM
yeah, aren't those the ones with the poor black people who join gangs because there are no opportunities in America for poor people to advance other than sell drugs and kill each other?

Yeah man, those were great films of our time.

beer bacon
01-21-2006, 09:15 PM

W3rd

Dunit35
01-21-2006, 09:21 PM

Sweet ass movie. The unrated version is awesome.

Fox River
01-21-2006, 09:35 PM
It was a good movie.

They are movies that are about urban minorities growing up in the Ghetto in L.A. They were made a few years apart. They try to show the point of view of growing up in and around that environment. The choices that can be made and what those choices can lead to. They are both good. I recomend that everyone check them out if they can or would like to.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2006, 09:38 PM
It was a good movie.

They are movies that are about urban minorities growing up in the Ghetto in L.A. They were made a few years apart. They try to show the point of view of growing up in and around that environment. The choices that can be made and what those choices can lead to. They are both good. I recomend that everyone check them out if they can or would like to.

I've seen them both, and while they are eye opening.....asking which is better is like asking:

Which do you like better, the Raiders or the Broncos?

:shake:

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2006, 09:40 PM
On the whole, I prefer Menace II Society. Boyz N the Hood was a tad... saccharine, in a way, but still very good in its own right.

Anyone who looks down on them because they think the movies glorify "ghetto life" is clueless. They were very relevant movies about very relevant struggles that millions of people endured and are still enduring.

Fox River
01-21-2006, 09:40 PM
It is a tough one. I lean towards Boys in the Hood. It is almost a tie between the Raiders and Broncos. I think that I hate the Raiders less.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 09:41 PM
They are both strong films, but id have to give the edge to the Hughes Brothers Menace II Society. Its got a much stronger visual style and a little more edge to it. Its too bad Singleton has never really lived up to his early billing. I did enjoy his last film Four Brothers and Shaft, but hes never really made a film near as strong as Boyz in the Hood.

Fox River
01-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Very good posts. I think that Menace ended on more of a down note making it a little more realistic concerning the subject matter. It was the fact that the point of view comming from the lead role gave it an edge. I did forget about Friday too. Friday was better than Dont be.

John Matrix
01-21-2006, 09:48 PM
Boys N' Tha Hood was more formative for me, it hit home more than 'Menace'.

chagrin
01-21-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't know if you're referring to me but I don't believe the movies glorified gang life or violence, I just don't have the patience for 'em and I am tired of still seeing those movies being made about people CHOOSING to not better themselves. Being someone who lost everything 3 times in my life, the first time at the age of 14 - we lost everything including all of our posessions and moved to a 120 sq foot hole in the wall. My mother gave up and my brother gave up, I fu*king ended up getting a freaking job, this in a very poor rural area in Louisiana and even going to college, not because I'm a white guy, but because I tried! I mean all I had left at one point was clothes on my back, no home - nothing. I get tired of hearing about "real struggles" with weak people making poor choices and not getting themselves out of the whole they're in.

I saw the movies, didn't care for them.

Anyway, carry on - I'm sorry for pissing on the thread. Just a little cranky tonight.

Sully
01-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Boyz in the Hood is the only one I remember, and I know I've seen both more than once, so I'd go with that one. It isn't about glorifying someone who chooses to live poorly AT ALL. It is completely the opposite, as it glorifies those in the movie who choose to live the better life, even though their circumstances are often used to live a poor life.

chagrin
01-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Love the sig btw, hate the av though (probably the only Avalanche fan that lived in Detroit for 8 years)

"I'll take the rapist for 100 Alex"

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:15 PM
IAnyway, carry on - I'm sorry for pissing on the thread. Just a little cranky tonight.

whoa, ok...Well i guess we wont get into any of the politics of Spike Lee's film catalog tonight then......LOL

chagrin
01-21-2006, 10:19 PM
whoa, ok...Well i guess we wont get into any of the politics of Spike Lee's film catalog tonight then......LOL

ROFL

I know, I shouldn't have even come in this thing, he was trying to discuss movies he and other like minded dudes like and I was rude. Thanks for the chuckle DeBerg!!

btw, Steve DeBerg did consistently run the best play action I think I've ever seen, he could hide the ball like nobody else.

Good night sir!

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:21 PM
btw, Steve DeBerg did consistently run the best play action I think I've ever seen, he could hide the ball like nobody else.

I very much agree. I hav e to laugh when the idiots on TV say that Peyton Manning in the best play action guy they have ever seen. Hes not even close to as good as DeBerg was.

Mr. Kotter
01-21-2006, 10:22 PM
I very much agree. I hav e to laugh when the idiots on TV say that Peyton Manning in the best play action guy they have ever seen. Hes not even close to as good as DeBerg was.

Peyton is pretty good, but DeBerg was better. It's one of the most under-utilized parts of the game today.

luv
01-21-2006, 10:25 PM
I thought the title was Boyz in da Hood.

jspchief
01-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Colors.

Saulbadguy
01-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Menace II Society.

"Man..i'll suck yo dick for a cheeseburger"

"SUCK ON THIS!" blam blam

Saulbadguy
01-21-2006, 10:26 PM
On the whole, I prefer Menace II Society. Boyz N the Hood was a tad... saccharine, in a way, but still very good in its own right.

Anyone who looks down on them because they think the movies glorify "ghetto life" is clueless. They were very relevant movies about very relevant struggles that millions of people endured and are still enduring.
Post that animated gif.

Fox River
01-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I tried for years to make an anal bum cover.

Ultra Peanut
01-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Post that animated gif.Hey, homey, you need some help?

luv
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Colors.
I have that song on my computer somewhere.

Fox River
01-21-2006, 10:33 PM
Slingin all that shit in the hood and you dont got no snaps for the petro.

KcMizzou
01-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey, homey, you need some help?Awesome.

Ebolapox
01-22-2006, 12:19 AM
this thread brought to you from the guy who complained that tech n9ne sucked--hmmm... methinks this is a bit hypocritical

-EB-

Fox River
01-22-2006, 01:04 AM
I do not think that Tech Nine sucks. They are okay. They are what they are. I get sick and tired of you coming into music threads that are about music that one from your barely old enough to legally drink crowd will more than likely not be into, and bitch about it. You are a billboard for them so I knew that they would be an easy target and you were obviously a big fan of theirs. I also do not see how if one may not like them and not be able to like the movies mentioned. That would be more hypocritical and borderline racist. One is a movie and one is music. I also am learning to not give a damn what you think. Some people's kids.

Ultra Peanut
01-22-2006, 01:06 AM
I do not think that Tech Nine sucks. They are okay. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=52413&stc=1

Fox River
01-22-2006, 01:10 AM
You are going to have to try and explain that last one to me.

Ultra Peanut
01-22-2006, 01:12 AM
I found that to be an amusing pair of sentences.

Miles
01-22-2006, 01:17 AM
I get sick and tired of you coming into music threads that are about music that one from your barely old enough to legally drink crowd will more than likely not be into, and bitch about it.

Meh, attacking someone for being too young to appreciate good music is a crap argument.

Fox River
01-22-2006, 01:29 AM
True. Just like being attacked for being too old to apprieciate crap music is not a good argument.

luv
01-22-2006, 01:41 AM
I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's just personal tastes. I was born in November 1976. I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, Van Morrison, etc, just as much as I like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Linkin Park, etc.

Miles
01-22-2006, 01:44 AM
I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's just personal tastes. I was born in November 1976. I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Eagles, Van Morrison, etc, just as much as I like 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Linkin Park, etc.

Thats not saying much about your taste in new music...

luv
01-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Thats not saying much about your taste in new music...
LOL...

I like a little bit of everything. I just don't like stuff that's really heavy or that I can't understand the words due to them being screamed. A friend recently intrduced me to some very good independent stuff that I like.

Fox River
01-22-2006, 01:50 AM
When people ask me what music I like, I tell them variety. I just turned Thirty and I like all kinds of music.

banyon
01-22-2006, 01:54 AM
Menace is the better film; although Boyz was pretty good, it has nothing to compare to the disturbing scenes with O-dog.

http://www.sfi.se/sfi/IMAGES/SKOLBIO/FILMHANDLEDNINGAR/MENACEII_SOCIETY.JPG

Fox River
01-22-2006, 01:57 AM
America's worst nightmare, young and does not give a f...

Miles
01-22-2006, 02:16 AM
LOL...

I like a little bit of everything. I just don't like stuff that's really heavy or that I can't understand the words due to them being screamed. A friend recently intrduced me to some very good independent stuff that I like.

Yeah I'm just starting to open up to new music again over the past year or so. When I was younger I was alot better about finding new stuff. Seems like it is out there now but it takes a lot more effort to find it.

What was the indy stuff you like?

luv
01-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Yeah I'm just starting to open up to new music again over the past year or so. When I was younger I was alot better about finding new stuff. Seems like it is out there now but it takes a lot more effort to find it.
Talk to the Angry Drunken German. He's in the know.

Miles
01-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Talk to the Angry Drunken German. He's in the know.

I have pulled some decent suggestions from the board. Think I may have likely gotten some from Rausch but cant really remember. Have definitly pulled some solid recommendations from Zach's music threads.

You posted before I edited. What was the indy stuff you liked?

luv
01-22-2006, 02:28 AM
I have pulled some decent suggestions from the board. Think I may have likely gotten some from Rausch but cant really remember. Have definitly pulled some solid recommendations from Zach's music threads.

You posted before I edited. What was the indy stuff you liked?
Check your PM's.

Ebolapox
01-22-2006, 02:36 AM
I do not think that Tech Nine sucks. They are okay. They are what they are. I get sick and tired of you coming into music threads that are about music that one from your barely old enough to legally drink crowd will more than likely not be into, and bitch about it. You are a billboard for them so I knew that they would be an easy target and you were obviously a big fan of theirs. I also do not see how if one may not like them and not be able to like the movies mentioned. That would be more hypocritical and borderline racist. One is a movie and one is music. I also am learning to not give a damn what you think. Some people's kids.

going against my better judgement, I'll actually respond to your ignorant tripe...

'they' are ok... well, 'they' is one guy... get an english textbook so you can get the correct use of the english language that you just butchered

'barely old enough to drink crowd'... heh heh--I've been drinking since I was 17 years old, and am 23 now--so I wouldn't call myself 'barely' old enough to drink--once again, buy a clue, since it's obvious you have none

'billboard for them'... 'them' again--are you a total dipsh*t??-- it's called a signature--I'm a fan of tech n9ne--(A GUY, NOT A THEM)--some people have different things in their sigs; basically whatever works for you--I use mine to give a visual 'shout out' to a guy that I think is talented--once again, your and idiot

when you dissed tech, it didn't bug me so much--I brushed it off as idiocy--but when you come off and call him a 'thug who isn't known in his own city' or something to that regard, and basically 'diss' the whole of hip hop, I find it very amusing to see you now 'being a billboard for' hip hop culture, via this thread--once again, you need to catch up, moran

I'm glad you don't give a damn about what I think--that's perfectly acceptable, and sadly, the most lucid thing you said in your whole response, which, for the record, I initially believed was typed by a room full of chimpanzees--

'some people's kids'... heh heh--you're someone's kid I'd imagine--somewhere, an indian cries when you throw that kind of trash onto the board

-EB-

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 02:57 AM
If anyone has seen "Don't be a Menace" I recommend finding the unrated version of it. There is a hilarious addition to it. Even if you have seen this movie, but not the unrated version. Id rent it.

Fox River
01-22-2006, 03:12 AM
You have confused me with someone else. I have not said anything bad about T9. I have directed it at you. I have only heard T9's music. I have not ever seen him so how would I know that it is only one person. I said to say barely old enough to drink. I love to be misquoted. It saves me the time of making you look like the moron that you are when you do it for me and to yourself. Why do you not save us and yourself wasted time and wait until you have finished furthering your education then after that is completed start posting again. Until then let us just ignore each other. For our sake and the sake of everyone else that is here. Unlike you I actually do not come here to pick fights. If you are looking for a fight by posting bait then do it to someone else please.

Miles
01-22-2006, 03:14 AM
You have confused me with someone else. I have not said anything bad about T9. I have directed it at you. I have only heard T9's music. I have not ever seen him so how would I know that it is only one person. I said to say barely old enough to drink. I love to be misquoted. It saves me the time of making you look like the moron that you are when you do it for me and to yourself. Why do you not save us and yourself wasted time and wait until you have finished furthering your education then after that is completed start posting again. Until then let us just ignore each other. For our sake and the sake of everyone else that is here. Unlike you I actually do not come here to pick fights. If you are looking for a fight by posting bait then do it to someone else please.

Be kind to us drunk folks, please space out replies.

Fox River
01-22-2006, 03:19 AM
It was not directed at you. You are not the one who is in college and smarter than everyone here who is more than likely to be older and wiser. I remember the days of being young and knowing it all. It has been so much better since I have learned to become wiser and realize that there is so much out there that I will still learn.

Miles
01-22-2006, 03:27 AM
It was not directed at you. You are not the one who is in college and smarter than everyone here who is more than likely to be older and wiser. I remember the days of being young and knowing it all. It has been so much better since I have learned to become wiser and realize that there is so much out there that I will still learn.

Huh? Who is this one directed at?

KcMizzou
01-22-2006, 05:18 AM
going against my better judgement, I'll actually respond to your ignorant tripe...

'they' are ok... well, 'they' is one guy... get an english textbook so you can get the correct use of the english language that you just butchered

'barely old enough to drink crowd'... heh heh--I've been drinking since I was 17 years old, and am 23 now--so I wouldn't call myself 'barely' old enough to drink--once again, buy a clue, since it's obvious you have none

'billboard for them'... 'them' again--are you a total dipsh*t??-- it's called a signature--I'm a fan of tech n9ne--(A GUY, NOT A THEM)--some people have different things in their sigs; basically whatever works for you--I use mine to give a visual 'shout out' to a guy that I think is talented--once again, your and idiot

when you dissed tech, it didn't bug me so much--I brushed it off as idiocy--but when you come off and call him a 'thug who isn't known in his own city' or something to that regard, and basically 'diss' the whole of hip hop, I find it very amusing to see you now 'being a billboard for' hip hop culture, via this thread--once again, you need to catch up, moran

I'm glad you don't give a damn about what I think--that's perfectly acceptable, and sadly, the most lucid thing you said in your whole response, which, for the record, I initially believed was typed by a room full of chimpanzees--

'some people's kids'... heh heh--you're someone's kid I'd imagine--somewhere, an indian cries when you throw that kind of trash onto the board

-EB-
heh...

http://www.freewebs.com/mxgirl013/owend.jpg

Fox River
01-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I get misquoted and I am owned?