PDA

View Full Version : Tylenol vs Ibuprofen vs Advil

luv
01-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Acetaminophen is used to relieve mild to moderate pain and to reduce fever. It does not relieve the stiffness, redness, and swelling of arthritis.

Ibuprofen is used to relieve the pain, tenderness, inflammation (swelling), and stiffness caused by arthritis and gout. It is also used to reduce fever and to relieve headaches, muscle aches, menstrual pain, aches and pains from the common cold, backache, and pain after surgery or dental work.

Naproxen is used to relieve the pain, tenderness, inflammation (swelling), and stiffness caused by gout, arthritis, and other inflammatory conditions. It also is used to relieve other pain, including muscle and menstrual pain and pain after surgery, dental work, or childbirth.

Looks like I take Tylenol when I have a fever, Ibuprofen when I have a headache or cold, and Aleve when I have aches and pains. My back has been killing me for the past few weeks. Just thought I would look up to see what would be the best to take for it. I've taken all three before, but never really knew what the differences were.

|Zach|
01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
None of the above...i will tough it out.

KcMizzou
01-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I'd suggest Xanax and marijuana.

(Sorry, if I didn't say it, someone else would have.)

luv
01-22-2006, 10:23 PM
None of the above...i will tough it out.
That's what I've been trying to do for two-three weeks. I figured I'd try to take a little something for it. If that doesn't work, I might consider a chiropractor. I can get a "coupon" for free x-rays and initial visit. If all else fails, I'll go see my doctor.

|Zach|
01-22-2006, 10:23 PM
I just think people take to many pills.

|Zach|
01-22-2006, 10:24 PM
That's what I've been trying to do for two-three weeks. I figured I'd try to take a little something for it. If that doesn't work, I might consider a chiropractor. I can get a "coupon" for free x-rays and initial visit. If all else fails, I'll go see my doctor.
Sounds like something to be looked at.

luv
I'd suggest Xanax and marijuana.

(Sorry, if I didn't say it, someone else would have.)
I tried marijuana a few times, but I never inhaled.

Dunit35
I take whatever is in my medicine department.

Dunit35
I tried marijuana a few times, but I never inhaled.

Thats what they all say.

luv
01-22-2006, 10:26 PM
I just think people take to many pills.
I'm with you on that one. My boss takes pills for EVERYTHING. She carries around a little container in her purse that has the different compartments in it. Each one is a different type of pill. If someone has a headache, she offers them an Excederin Migraine. :shake:

FloridaChief
I'm with Zach. I don't take any of those poisons...

I don't do Xanax or pot either. But I do *do* Zoloft...

cdcox
Asprin rules. Fever, headache, aches and pains, plus thins your blood to help the ticker. Cheap too.

FloridaMan88
01-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I prefer beer over all of those

VonneMarie
01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Ibuprofen is used to relieve the pain, tenderness, inflammation (swelling), and stiffness caused by arthritis and gout. It is also used to reduce fever and to relieve headaches, muscle aches, menstrual pain, aches and pains from the common cold, backache, and pain after surgery or dental work.

And it's great for that time of the month. :)

|Zach|
01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm with you on that one. My boss takes pills for EVERYTHING. She carries around a little container in her purse that has the different compartments in it. Each one is a different type of pill. If someone has a headache, she offers them an Excederin Migraine. :shake:
Psychosemetic.

Dunit35
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
I like Rolaids.

luv
01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
And it's great for that time of the month. :)
That's actually what made me look at Naproxen (Advil). I had taken some Midol a few months ago when I was cramping, and it worked wonders. I noticed the main ingredient was Naproxen.

KcMizzou
01-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I had taken some Midol a few months ago when I was cramping, Damnit woman! This is a football website, for christ's sake! :cuss:ROFL

luv
01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Damnit woman! This is a football website, for christ's sake! :cuss:ROFL
Then go enjoy the thread about the drug addict's runaway cat! :p

VonneMarie
01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
That's actually what made me look at Naproxen (Advil). I had taken some Midol a few months ago when I was cramping, and it worked wonders. I noticed the main ingredient was Naproxen.
I've never taken Midol before. I guess I'll have to try it. Nothing works for me like Ibprofen... it's heaven sent for those hard times.

luv
01-22-2006, 10:35 PM
I've never taken Midol before. I guess I'll have to try it. Nothing works for me like Ibprofen... it's heaven sent for those hard times.
I'd never taken it before either. I had always taken Tylenol for fevers and Ibuprofen for aches and pains. I was asking someone for some Ibuprofen, but that's all they had.

greg63
01-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Tylenol never did much for me at all. I've always had the best luck with Ibuprofen. I take three for really bad headaches, and I take four when I really need to sleep and forget; like when the wife and I have a fight. :D

VonneMarie
01-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Alcohol helps too.

SLAG
01-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Advil is Ibuprofin

Aleave (sp?) is Naproxen

luv
01-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Advil is Ibuprofin

Aleave (sp?) is Naproxen
Oh yeah...Oops. Need to fix that.

NJ Chief Fan
01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
I'd suggest marijuana.

Mecca
01-22-2006, 11:34 PM
I find, 4 Advil generally does the trick for whatever the problem is.

chappy
01-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Cocaine has always worked wonders for me!!

Dunit35
01-23-2006, 12:08 AM
I actually probably take tylonel more than anything else.

luv
01-23-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm wondering if I should even waste my time going to a chiropractor. He'll only want me to come back again and again and again, and he'll charge me every time.

SLAG
01-23-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm wondering if I should even waste my time going to a chiropractor. He'll only want me to come back again and again and again, and he'll charge me every time.

You could just come see me, you will keep coming back for more

:thumb:

Rausch
01-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Excedrin kicks them all in the nads and walks off with their women.

I get migraines and that's worked the best for me (outside prescription drugs.)

luv
01-23-2006, 01:05 AM

That would be great if I had a migraine in my lower back.

Rausch
01-23-2006, 01:07 AM
That would be great if I had a migraine in my lower back.

I'm sure it only cures headache pain.

:spock:

luv
01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
I'm sure it only cures headache pain.

:spock:
Will it knock me on my ass, or can I take it and go to work?

luv
01-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Excedrin Migraine

Drug Facts

Active ingredients (in each tablet) Purposes
Acetaminophen 250 mg Pain reliever
Aspirin 250 mg Pain reliever
Caffeine 65 mg Pain reliever aid

Use
• treats migraine

I could take a Tylenaol and an Aspirin with a soda, and be fine, then.

Rausch
01-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Excedrin Migraine

Drug Facts

Active ingredients (in each tablet) Purposes
Acetaminophen 250 mg Pain reliever
Aspirin 250 mg Pain reliever
Caffeine 65 mg Pain reliever aid

Use
• treats migraine

I could take a Tylenaol and an Aspirin with a soda, and be fine, then.

Or breathe in hydrogen and oxygen and you'll never have to drink water again!

Just try the damned pills....

luv
01-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Or breathe in hydrogen and oxygen and you'll never have to drink water again!

Just try the damned pills....
Touchy, touchy. :p

Pants
01-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Pop an aspirin. It's extremelly good for you (minus the stomach part) as it thins blood, letting the antibodies get to the places they need to get to, simply put. It helps your heart too and makes you sweat, so if you drink a lot you get better much quicker as you cleanse your system. Make sure you chew it really well before you drink, this helps your stomach, even though it tastes like shit.

I hate drugs and medicine too, but whenever I feel something coming up, I just pop an aspirin, drink a bottle of water and hit the sack. Wake up sweaty :) but feel good in the shower.

luv
01-23-2006, 03:19 AM
Pop an aspirin. It's extremelly good for you (minus the stomach part) as it thins blood, letting the antibodies get to the places they need to get to, simply put. It helps your heart too and makes you sweat, so if you drink a lot you get better much quicker as you cleanse your system. Make sure you chew it really well before you drink, this helps your stomach, even though it tastes like shit.

I hate drugs and medicine too, but whenever I feel something coming up, I just pop an aspirin, drink a bottle of water and hit the sack. Wake up sweaty :) but feel good in the shower.
Did you just advise me to chew an aspirin? I'd crumble it up and put it in my water before I'd chew it. Eww.

Pants
01-23-2006, 03:22 AM
Did you just advise me to chew an aspirin? I'd crumble it up and put it in my water before I'd chew it. Eww.

Whatever works for you. It's much grosser for me to drink a glass of chalk tasting water and have the aftertaste than to chew the aspirin and chase it with clean water wasing away the "flavor".

patteeu
01-23-2006, 07:47 AM

I'll second that. Excederin is the best headache medicine.

I was looking at labels one day in the drug store and I found it interesting that there is no difference between Excederin Migraine and Extra Strength Excederin. It seems like there was another variant that was identical too. Apparently, it's just a marketing gimmick.

penguinz
01-23-2006, 10:01 AM
That's actually what made me look at Naproxen (Advil). I had taken some Midol a few months ago when I was cramping, and it worked wonders. I noticed the main ingredient was Naproxen.Advil is Ibuprofen. Alieve is naproxen. Do not take Naproxen for an extended period of time. It will eat a hole in your stomach.

Ibuprofen you can take up to 800mg at a time every four hours as long as you drink plenty of liquids.

luv
01-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Advil is Ibuprofen. Alieve is naproxen. Do not take Naproxen for an extended period of time. It will eat a hole in your stomach.

Ibuprofen you can take up to 800mg at a time every four hours as long as you drink plenty of liquids.
Yes, someone pointed out my mistake in an earlier post. I was saying Advil, but had Aleve in mind. I changed the original post, but didn't go all the way through the thread again.

I've heard that taking too many Ibeprofin can be bad for you as well.

badgirl
11-18-2008, 06:39 AM
Acetaminophen is used to relieve mild to moderate pain and to reduce fever. It does not relieve the stiffness, redness, and swelling of arthritis.

Naproxen is used to relieve the pain, tenderness, inflammation (swelling), and stiffness caused by gout, arthritis, and other inflammatory conditions. It also is used to relieve other pain, including muscle and menstrual pain and pain after surgery, dental work, or childbirth.

Looks like I take Tylenol when I have a fever, Ibuprofen when I have a headache or cold, and Aleve when I have aches and pains. My back has been killing me for the past few weeks. Just thought I would look up to see what would be the best to take for it. I've taken all three before, but never really knew what the differences were.

None of it.:(

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Just remember that tylenol is metabolized by your liver, while those above NSAIDs and aspirin are metabolized by your stomach. If you drink semi-regularly, stay away from tylenol at all costs. If you have ulcers, watch out for NSAIDs.

MOhillbilly
11-18-2008, 08:01 AM
I couldnt get around some days without aleve.

jidar
11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Ibuprofen is my pain reliever of choice. It knocks the hell out of headaches and nothing else comes close. Ibuprofen + 20 minutes will cure just about any headache I've ever had.
My wife was the same way, but she has to be on a medication now that wont let her take Ibuprofen so the Dr. instructed her to take Tylenol instead. She complains that it doesn't work on headaches. :/

Demonpenz
11-18-2008, 08:48 AM
I take a couple uppers, I down a couple downers, but nothing compares to those blue, yellow, and purple pills.

Kylo Ren
11-18-2008, 08:58 AM
I take a couple uppers, I down a couple downers, but nothing compares to those blue, yellow, and purple pills.

I only take Tylenol. I'm allergic to aspirin. Some of you will be happy to hear that aspirin could KILL me. Even if G'ma has aspirin and Tylenol in the same G'ma pillbox and they rub together. If she gives me the Tylenol, it still has enough aspirin rubbed on it to make me really sick. Yes, that happened once when I was playing in a little league baseball game as a kid. Aspirin swells my tounge and throat shut if I don't get to the hospital quickly. Most of my allergies as a child have lessened quite a bit now that I'm an adult. I wouldn't be surprised if this allergy has lessened too. My wife gave me an aspirin by mistake a few months ago. It was the first time in 15 or 20 years that I've taken an aspirin. I could feel my throat swelling some and my airway becoming constricted, but it wasn't very bad, not like when I was a kid. I went home and took some medicine and was OK. My wife didn't have any sympathy for me. She was mad that I accused her of giving me an aspirin. She swore it was a Tylenol. I didn't accuse her, I merely informed her. She said "Do you think I'm stupid? Do you think I don't know the difference between aspiring and Tylenol?" I didn't say she was stupid. I just said that she made a simple mistake. It was night time and it was dark in the car when she dug through her purse for the pills. I told her that I wasn't accusing her of being stupid, but I know it was aspirin because my throat was swelling. She was still mad at me. She said I was just fine and making it all up to maker her look like an idiot. I just quit the conversation altogether. You can't win against this kind of logic and female emotions. Why are women like this? My wife would argue with a stop sign. Yours?

Sure-Oz
11-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Advil is my friend

blueballs
11-18-2008, 12:16 PM
google back exercies
not being a smart ass

Saulbadguy
11-18-2008, 12:56 PM
I take Tylenol when I want to sleep.

Ibuprofen doesn't make me as tired, but it helps with aches and pains, and muscle soreness. Even helps with things like sore throats, or ass pains.

HC_Chief
11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
I take alcohol. A lot of it. Then smile. And sleep.

patteeu
11-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I take Tylenol when I want to sleep.

Ibuprofen doesn't make me as tired, but it helps with aches and pains, and muscle soreness. Even helps with things like sore throats, or ass pains.

You must be taking Tylenol PM or something. I've never heard of Tylenol having any kind of drowsiness side effect.

kchero
11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Just remember that tylenol is metabolized by your liver, while those above NSAIDs and aspirin are metabolized by your stomach. If you drink semi-regularly, stay away from tylenol at all costs. If you have ulcers, watch out for NSAIDs.

Sorry to do this, but Im going to correct your post. First off Aspirin is not metabolized within your stomach, like acetaminophen (tylenol) it is primarily metabolized in the liver and is excreted by the kidneys. Thus, your assumption that if you are a frequent drinker of alcoholic beverages that one should stay away from tylenol are false, because tylenol and NSAID's are primarily metabolized within the liver. Also, NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and aspirin are not different classes of medications. Aspirin is indeed a member of the NSAID drug class.

luv
11-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Sorry to do this, but Im going to correct your post. First off Aspirin is not metabolized within your stomach, like acetaminophen (tylenol) it is primarily metabolized in the liver and is excreted by the kidneys. Thus, your assumption that if you are a frequent drinker of alcoholic beverages that one should stay away from tylenol are false, because tylenol and NSAID's are primarily metabolized within the liver. Also, NSAID's (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and aspirin are not different classes of medications. Aspirin is indeed a member of the NSAID drug class.

Only after the alcohol had damaged your liver whould you stay away from acetaminophen, correct?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-18-2008, 03:26 PM

sorry, he was right, you are mostly wrong.

You should NOT mix alcohol and Tylenol (acetaminophen). It causes liver damage.

http://www.vhl.org/newsletter/vhl1996/96bjtyle.php

You also should avoid aspirin and alcohol as it increases the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.

However GI bleeding will remedy itsself faster than liver damage, so Tylenol is worse for you.

BigMeatballDave
11-18-2008, 03:44 PM
I like Aspirin, ibuprofin, and Aleve. Tylenol sucks balls.

kchero
11-18-2008, 11:51 PM
sorry, he was right, you are mostly wrong.

You should NOT mix alcohol and Tylenol (acetaminophen). It causes liver damage.

http://www.vhl.org/newsletter/vhl1996/96bjtyle.php

You also should avoid aspirin and alcohol as it increases the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.

However GI bleeding will remedy itsself faster than liver damage, so Tylenol is worse for you.

Apparently you did not fully read what I stated. By NO means do I suggest taking alcohol with any medications. I was stating that regardless of the medication the use of alchol while taking it is not looked nicely upon. This is common knowledge and I dont need your web link resources to prove this. The other facts that I stated that were different were in regards to the metabolism locations and classifications of the medication mentioned previously. I don't want to break out the "I am in pharmacy school card" but I think I will in this instance.

Reaper16
11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Ibuprofen fucking rules.

RealSNR
11-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I've had flare-ups of tendinitis just from using my hands all day. It's dangerous just to ignore the pain, it can lead to actual tendinitis or carpal tunnel.

When I have pain, I take ibuprofen and stop my activity for several hours. I come back to work with no pain and the swelling has gone down. It's the healthiest way to continue doing what I love.

Basically, ibuprofen fucking rules is what I'm saying

RealSNR
11-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Ibuprofen ****ing rules.Yeah, this. Rep.

Reaper16
11-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Yeah, this. Rep.
One time I had this insane toothache in a wisdom tooth. It started on a Friday night, which meant I couldn't see a dentist until Monday. Tylenol was not working worth a damn. Eventually, I found that a single Ibuprofen was good enough to alleviate the pain for many hours. I try and always have some Ibuprofen on hand now.

Simply Red
11-19-2008, 01:53 AM
One time I had this insane toothache in a wisdom tooth. It started on a Friday night, which meant I couldn't see a dentist until Monday. Tylenol was not working worth a damn. Eventually, I found that a single Ibuprofen was good enough to alleviate the pain for many hours. I try and always have some Ibuprofen on hand now.

I will say this Reaper, you have been a smart shopper since day one.

badgirl
11-19-2008, 02:19 AM
Only after the alcohol had damaged your liver whould you stay away from acetaminophen, correct?

yep tylenol filters through the liver whereas ibuprofen filters through the kidneys. So its best to kinda switch back and forth between the two