PDA

View Full Version : The Board Game "Diplomacy" Via Email? Anyone Interested?

Amnorix
01-23-2006, 07:35 AM
Someone on Patriots Planet raised the idea of playing the old board game "Diplomacy" via email. He will serve as moderator.

Here's a link to the thread, which contains all necessary information. 2 slots still need to be filled.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15157

If you're unfamiliar with it, Diplomacy is a game with simple rules mechanics, no luck (per se) and alot of interaction between the players. The basic premise is that it's 1901 and the Great Powers of Europe are vying with each other for supremacy.

If interested, you can post either here or there. First come first served.

Amnorix
01-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Bump to keep on page one.

I'll let it drop off page one (like a stone, again, if that's how it goes) after this.

patteeu
01-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Never played before, but if you still need players and don't mind a noob, I'm interested. Back in college, this game always interested me, but I never had enough interested friends to get a game going.

Amnorix
01-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Never played before, but if you still need players and don't mind a noob, I'm interested. Back in college, this game always interested me, but I never had enough interested friends to get a game going.

I've played all of about 3 games myself, the last one being over 5 years ago. Seems like most people on Patriots Planet who have signed up haven't played before at all.

Flagg, the expert, is the moderator or whatever, so he's not actually playing. We just submit turns to him.

So sure, you're in. :D

Amnorix
01-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Here's the moderator's post about joining the game:

I set us up at a site that I frequent: http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/

It's a standard game, under forming games, scroll down to private games, called "planets." To sign up email to the link on the bottom right of the info page, in the format stated. Password is "HermandBB."

We'll start as soon as we fill.

Amnorix
01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
A couple people from CP have now signed on, but the game hasn't yet filled up, so I figured I'd try another bump.

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm in. I will kill you all, and shall build a large castle from your bones on the Rhine, and I shall kennel my dogs there so they can chew on your bones, at least until the castle's home maintenance costs become excessive.

Wa-Z
01-25-2006, 10:50 AM
GOD!!! I hate this game. We played it in my class and then we had to write a paper on it...it sucked.

Rain Man
01-25-2006, 10:53 AM
GOD!!! I hate this game. We played it in my class and then we had to write a paper on it...it sucked.

Okay. You can be France.

Amnorix
01-25-2006, 10:56 AM

Well......errr............there's no paper to write on it this time.... So should I mark you down as "in"?

ROFL ROFL

Simplex3
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Okay. You can be France.
ROFL

tiptap
01-25-2006, 11:41 AM
30 years ago. Lets see you have two armies and one navy except Britian which has two navies and one army and Russia which has 4 allotments of two navies and two armies.

Balance of power notion so very European and you noobies will need to pay attention to Russia or you'll be quickly on the sidelines.

That is all

patteeu
01-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I'm in. I will kill you all...

Yikes! Is it too late for me to back out of this? I hadn't read the rules when I volunteered so I didn't realize this was allowed.

Raiderhater
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm a Conservative, I don't believe in diplomacy. :D

Amnorix
01-25-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm a Conservative, I don't believe in diplomacy. :D

Yes, unfortunately, carpet-bombing and nuclear bombs don't exist in 1901.... :p

Raiderhater
01-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Yes, unfortunately, carpet-bombing and nuclear bombs don't exist in 1901.... :p

Just have to mow them down with Gatlin guns.

Rain Man
01-29-2006, 03:24 PM
I think they can still use some more players here. C'mon, join up so we can have a full game. Do it for the children.

PatPatriot
03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Hello all,

Didn't get a chance to respond to Italy's question of identity before the "mail" was shut off, but yeah, Russia was from Patriots Planet...

Thanks again for the game, and if you ever need another player, by all means, give me a shout out.

Regards,
John

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Hello all,

Didn't get a chance to respond to Italy's question of identity before the "mail" was shut off, but yeah, Russia was from Patriots Planet...

Thanks again for the game, and if you ever need another player, by all means, give me a shout out.

Regards,
John

AAAAAH! AAAAAAH! My mortal enemy! The despot who vexed my soldiers and sailors in the Baltic! Die, Russia, Die!

Rain Man
The King of England

Tribal Warfare
03-30-2006, 07:57 PM
THAT SOUNDS LIKE GAY-ASS SHIT

is phrase that came to me when I read the title of this thread

diplomacy and Chiefs Planet don't mix.

Frazod
03-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I played this game ONCE in high school. All I remember is that I was Austria-Hungary, and was wiped out before I even got a turn. I never played again.

And "never again" includes now. :#

Amnorix
03-30-2006, 08:50 PM
I played this game ONCE in high school. All I remember is that I was Austria-Hungary, and was wiped out before I even got a turn. I never played again.

And "never again" includes now. :#

ROFL

Austria-Hungary does have it tough in my opinion. In our game, whoever had that country was clearly a good player. He took out Turkey (along with the Russians) but eventually couldn't deal with France/Italy on his west, and then his Russian ally backstabbed him and it was all over for him.

Hydrae
03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I am sorry I missed this thread the first time around. You planning to play another game? If so I am interested and my brother would probably join as well.

jidar
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Ah, Diplomacy. A game for the ages, and a game that takes ages. :)

You know if you're into this type of heavy boardgaming the hobby is still going strong.

Check out www.boardgamegeek.com and in particular have a look at the geek lists. I can lose a whole day just reading about all of the great board games past and present.

Rain Man
03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
THAT SOUNDS LIKE GAY-ASS SHIT

is phrase that came to me when I read the title of this thread

diplomacy and Chiefs Planet don't mix.

You just don't have what it takes to be the king of Italy.

Amnorix
03-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Ah, Diplomacy. A game for the ages, and a game that takes ages. :)

You know if you're into this type of heavy boardgaming the hobby is still going strong.

Check out www.boardgamegeek.com and in particular have a look at the geek lists. I can lose a whole day just reading about all of the great board games past and present.

I havent' checked, but I'm sure I've played nearly all of them. Star Fleet Battles, Settlers of Cataan (and the variants it spawned), the original Civilization Board game (the one the computer games are based on), Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Titan, 1776, Diplomacy, 1830 and all of the games it spawned....I could go on and on and on.

I have a friend who has an amazing collection of board games.

And yes, I am a geek. So what?

jidar
03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I havent' checked, but I'm sure I've played nearly all of them. Star Fleet Battles, Settlers of Cataan (and the variants it spawned), the original Civilization Board game (the one the computer games are based on), Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Titan, 1776, Diplomacy, 1830 and all of the games it spawned....I could go on and on and on.

All of them? Well there are thousands on the site.

I'm just getting back into it myself, but it's difficult to get time and players for the quick playing German games, let alone a marathon game like Diplomacy. I guess thats why everyone plays by email.

I'm thinking about doing a pbem, but I'm not sure if Diplomacy will be that game. Hrm.. then again if you post it here next time it probably will be. :)

Skip Towne
03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm not playing any more games with Rainman. He left me stranded in a German POW camp and I'm still pissed about it.

Amnorix
03-31-2006, 10:36 AM
All of them? Well there are thousands on the site.

"nearly all" I said, not all, and I definitely didn't check the site. I havne't played thousands of board games, but I would certainly think I've played hundreds, when you count the variants and such.

I'm just getting back into it myself, but it's difficult to get time and players for the quick playing German games, let alone a marathon game like Diplomacy. I guess thats why everyone plays by email.

Yeah, believe me I know all about how hard it can be to find a decent group of players who have available time to play a decent game.

Amnorix
03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm not playing any more games with Rainman. He left me stranded in a German POW camp and I'm still pissed about it.

That's what you get for swiping his bike and then trying to make a getaway on a Flying Fortress.

Rain Man
03-31-2006, 11:01 AM

Star Fleet Battles - The combination of Star Trek and wargames spiked too high on the geek scale, so I never played it.

Settlers of Cataan - Must be after my time, because I'd never heard of it until I went into a store and bought it for my nephew last Christmas

the original Civilization Board game (the one the computer games are based on) - Loved that game. It's still sitting in my closet

Axis and Allies - Love it. Still sitting in my closet.

Fortress America - Only got to play it once, but it's still sitting in my closet

Titan - Not familiar with it.

1776 - Never found anyone to play it. Still sitting in my closet.

Diplomacy - Played it once in the early 1980s, and again last month

1830 - Not familiar with it.

I've got a ton of games in my closet waiting for me to become the leisure rich and get time to play them again. My all-time favorite is Conquistador, where players explore and settle the New World from the 1400s through the 1700s. Fantastic game, but it takes about 25 to 30 hours to play. Other favorites still in my closet include Tobruk (tank warfare in North Africa in WWII), Outreach (space exploration and settlement game), and probably several others I can't remember right now.