PDA

View Full Version : BOOMER GRIGSBY - Rookie Diary - PART II

Donger
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/01/23/boomer_grigsby__rookie_diary_wrap/

PART II

COACH EDWARDS

I’m sure all of you know by now that the Chiefs have hired Herm Edwards to replace Coach Vermeil. I’m extremely excited about Coach Edwards. Anyone that has such a great relationship with Coach Vermeil probably has similar personality characteristics. I’d like to think that as much as I like Coach Vermeil and as well as they get along, then I’ll like Coach Edwards, too. I haven’t had a chance to meet him personally yet, but hopefully I will soon.

I watched his first press conference online and was more than impressed. I thought he carried himself in such a great way. I’ve heard nothing but outstanding things about how his players love to play for him and I’ve even heard stories that some of his players have said they want to go play wherever he coaches. That’s saying a lot when you’re a player and one of your chief concerns is to follow a coach. He obviously earns an unparalleled amount of respect from his player and at the same time I think he knows how to get the job done.

I don’t claim to be an expert, but I believe we got the best possible coach we could have. What happens is yet to be determined, but I’m excited about it. I’m so crazy about the fact that he’s a defensive coach and that Gunther Cunningham is coming back. I get the best of both worlds: a great players coach and I keep the coordinator that was there to draft me. I’m looking forward to how it will all meld together.

SOME START TO THE OFF-SEASON

Here’s a fun little story from the life of Boomer files. So the season ended and once we realized we didn’t make the playoffs everything slows down dramatically right away. That was a little tough for me to deal with. I’m a bit of a, how should I put this, a hyperactive person. I kind of need to be doing something all the time and need that structure that the season provides. Not that I’ll go to pieces without it, but it makes my day go smoother when I have some sort of schedule.

You get to the point where you go to sleep at night and have nothing to do the next day. You’re really not even supposed to work out because you need to let your body recover. I was already a little banged up from when I hurt my abdomen in about the eighth week of the season.

boomtexI don’t think I really ever hit the “rookie wall” this season, except I think I did hit the rookie abdomen wall. Despite having played almost two college seasons this year and absorbing what amounts to about 30 car crashes per week on the field, I felt pretty good other than the abdominal injury. But that’s one thing about football, no matter what level you’re at, you have to be able to play hurt. You’re going to get hurt and like coaches say, “There is a difference between being hurt and being injured.” You can play through pain, but if you’re injured you need to come out.

So about a week after the season ended I flew out to Philadelphia to see Dr. William Meyers, the same doctor that operated on Eagles QB Donovan McNabb. I kind of figured that he’d tell me I had a muscle strain and should just rest it for a few weeks. So I already had a flight booked for San Diego two days later to visit some buddies. I have a couple college friends who live out there and John Welbourn is out there, too. I was looking forward to having a nice relaxing time in the warm weather. I was thinking in the words of the legendary Ron Burgundy, “San Diego. Drink it in… it always go down smooth.”

But instead of letting San Diego be my rehab, Dr. Meyers felt that I was a strong candidate for surgery. He told me I had an Athletic Pubalgia injury. The press likes to refer to it as a “sports hernia,” but that’s not exactly what it is. I didn’t have a hernia, more like a weakening of the muscles on your pubic bone, which is kind of right above that spot that people are really uncomfortable talking about. Right above THAT area.

It had been sore throughout the year, but they said it’s worse than just a strain. When they went in, they found a few tears and performed laparoscopic surgery. So I don’t have a big scar or anything, just a few holes. It kind of made me feel good though because they told me the next day that they found some tears and that meant I played eight games with torn muscles. So I felt kind of tough for a second. Then that was overcome by the feeling of intense pain when I tried to move.

Dr. Meyers is one of the best doctors in the world at this type of procedure and that’s one of the perks I realized of being a pro athlete. Growing up in Canton, Illinois when you got hurt you just went to the local doctor. I’m sure they are great and do a more than adequate job, but at this level when your body is your lifeline you get the privilege of flying wherever you need to go to see the best. You can’t beat that.

So I made it through. I should return to full flight at a quick pace. Whether they told me it was a muscle strain or cancer, it wasn’t going to keep me from playing. Football is what keeps my heart beating. People can say that football is just a game, but it’s also a way of life if you doing it for a living; if it’s what you drink, eat and breath. No matter the scope of the injury there is no way they were going to get me off the field. I’m still so caught up in the moment and enjoying the rollercoaster ride.

So I had the surgery on Wednesday and stayed over night in the hospital that night. I tried to talk the nurses into giving me some purple scrubs to wear home on the plane. It didn’t really work. I even tried to pay them off and that still didn’t work.

I also realized how hospital food in Philadelphia is still miserable. So anyone who has to eat that for extended lengths of time, I feel for you.

FUN TRAVELING STORY

I flew home the next day on Thursday and I got wheeled through the airport on a wheelchair. One benefit of the surgery was I got to pre-board my flight with the elderly and children. Good times. But times were not as good when I got off the plane in Kansas City.

boomerjerseyI slowly limped to my car at the KCI airport and found that my car battery was dead. You can imagine the delight on my face when I just got released from surgery, flew home by myself and was carrying a bag that was full of clothes for a trip to San Diego. I’m trudging through the airport at turtle speed only to find that my car has no juice. I slammed the car door, threw my bag down and grumbled a few choice words to myself – ones I learned from Gunther by the way – and tried to find a nearby emergency phone. I was starting to hurt at this point and I was feeling pretty helpless.

Then I met this super nice guy named Waylon, who worked at the airport somewhere. He let me sit in his car while he jumped my car for me. That’s why you’ve got to love the Midwest, nice people. The guy basically rescued me and he has no idea. He had no idea who I was or anything, he just wanted to help. I owe you Waylon.

I made it all the way home and have been lying around mostly, completely restless. I watched the entire first season of “Rescue Me.” That’s the Dennis Leary fireman show. I love it and would recommend it to everyone. It’s been tough doing nothing because my whole life when I’ve had nothing to do I lift weights and work out. That’s how I think I got my edge. My mom had keys to the YMCA and I’d be in there lifting on vacation days like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’d always picture that saying, “Somewhere, someone is practicing and when you meet them one-on-one will you beat them.” That was my motivation.

So now that I’m laid up and the season is over, all I want to do is get into the gym for a few hours, and that’s the one thing I can’t do. So I’ve resorted to taking long walks around the neighborhood.

BACK TO SCHOOL

This spring I’ve decided to go back to school and finish my degree. I need six credits to get my Marketing degree with a minor in Economics. Illinois State has been extremely helpful in allowing me to finish my degree at another school in my area, so I’m taking them up on it. I’ve decided to enroll at the University of Kansas. Forgive me Missouri fans, it was a matter of proximity. Columbia was two hours away, Lawrence is like 30 minutes from my house.

So I’m going back to school to get my education and take up some of my down time. My goal is to become the next Van Wilder. And oh yeah, learn something. Even though I’m an Illinois State Redbird at heart, forever and for always, there will now be a few times where I’m an honorary Jayhawks basketball fan. I went to my first KU hoops game at Allen Fieldhouse and got to watch them demolish Kentucky. I loved to atmosphere and I think it’s the closest basketball resemblance to Arrowhead in terms of noise, traditions and environment. So don’t be surprised to see me with my chest painted in Blue and Red some day.

Well, since that I’ve rambled on for several pages now I’ll try to wrap this up. I would really like to thank everybody who has been reading this online diary. It’s been my pleasure to help bring you all inside my life a little and give you a glimpse of life with the Chiefs. I have people coming up to me all the time saying that they’ve read the diary and like hearing about this and that. I appreciate hearing that and I’m glad I can find other ways to entertain than by just playing football. I’m living the dream and I know it. If there is anyway I can bring you all along I’m going to do it.

I’d also like to thank Patrick Herb of the Chiefs P.R. staff. Without his help this diary wouldn’t have happened.

Now that I’m not a rookie anymore we can officially retire the Boomer’s “Rookie” Diary title. You can now log on to kcchiefs.com for updates on simply “Boomer’s Diary.” I’ll try to check in a couple times during the off-season to update you all on the happenings with me and the team. Until that time…

Peace,

Boomer

gblowfish
01-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Have a nice off season, Boomer.
As a Mizzou fan, I'm worried about this Jayhawk fixation, but nobody's perfect.

tk13
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I slammed the car door, threw my bag down and grumbled a few choice words to myself – ones I learned from Gunther by the way – and tried to find a nearby emergency phone.

ROFL

HC_Chief
01-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Quotes Ron Burgundy and is an adoptive KU fan? :thumb:

pr_capone
01-23-2006, 06:46 PM
He has a beautiful way of expressing himself. Reading his diary is almost like reading a good book. :D

bkkcoh
01-23-2006, 07:20 PM

yeah, i was thinking the exact same thing... we should be worried...

KcMizzou
01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
yeah, i was thinking the exact same thing... we should be worried...Eh, his sexual orienation doesn't concern me, as long as he plays well.

:p

ROYC75
01-23-2006, 07:40 PM

Reason he picks KU, we all know MU is nowhere near perfect. :D

KU, wow, I like this guy more now than ever before.

KChiefsQT
01-23-2006, 07:50 PM
:drool: Did someone say Boomer?

He must be in desperate need for a live-in nurse with a cute little nurse "uniform".

teedubya
01-23-2006, 08:16 PM
For everyone who has DONGER on ignore. :P

COACH EDWARDS
I’m sure all of you know by now that the Chiefs have hired Herm Edwards to replace Coach Vermeil. I’m extremely excited about Coach Edwards. Anyone that has such a great relationship with Coach Vermeil probably has similar personality characteristics. I’d like to think that as much as I like Coach Vermeil and as well as they get along, then I’ll like Coach Edwards, too. I haven’t had a chance to meet him personally yet, but hopefully I will soon.

I watched his first press conference online and was more than impressed. I thought he carried himself in such a great way. I’ve heard nothing but outstanding things about how his players love to play for him and I’ve even heard stories that some of his players have said they want to go play wherever he coaches. That’s saying a lot when you’re a player and one of your chief concerns is to follow a coach. He obviously earns an unparalleled amount of respect from his player and at the same time I think he knows how to get the job done.

I don’t claim to be an expert, but I believe we got the best possible coach we could have. What happens is yet to be determined, but I’m excited about it. I’m so crazy about the fact that he’s a defensive coach and that Gunther Cunningham is coming back. I get the best of both worlds: a great players coach and I keep the coordinator that was there to draft me. I’m looking forward to how it will all meld together.

SOME START TO THE OFF-SEASON
Here’s a fun little story from the life of Boomer files. So the season ended and once we realized we didn’t make the playoffs everything slows down dramatically right away. That was a little tough for me to deal with. I’m a bit of a, how should I put this, a hyperactive person. I kind of need to be doing something all the time and need that structure that the season provides. Not that I’ll go to pieces without it, but it makes my day go smoother when I have some sort of schedule.

You get to the point where you go to sleep at night and have nothing to do the next day. You’re really not even supposed to work out because you need to let your body recover. I was already a little banged up from when I hurt my abdomen in about the eighth week of the season.

boomtexI don’t think I really ever hit the “rookie wall” this season, except I think I did hit the rookie abdomen wall. Despite having played almost two college seasons this year and absorbing what amounts to about 30 car crashes per week on the field, I felt pretty good other than the abdominal injury. But that’s one thing about football, no matter what level you’re at, you have to be able to play hurt. You’re going to get hurt and like coaches say, “There is a difference between being hurt and being injured.” You can play through pain, but if you’re injured you need to come out.

So about a week after the season ended I flew out to Philadelphia to see Dr. William Meyers, the same doctor that operated on Eagles QB Donovan McNabb. I kind of figured that he’d tell me I had a muscle strain and should just rest it for a few weeks. So I already had a flight booked for San Diego two days later to visit some buddies. I have a couple college friends who live out there and John Welbourn is out there, too. I was looking forward to having a nice relaxing time in the warm weather. I was thinking in the words of the legendary Ron Burgundy, “San Diego. Drink it in… it always go down smooth.”

But instead of letting San Diego be my rehab, Dr. Meyers felt that I was a strong candidate for surgery. He told me I had an Athletic Pubalgia injury. The press likes to refer to it as a “sports hernia,” but that’s not exactly what it is. I didn’t have a hernia, more like a weakening of the muscles on your pubic bone, which is kind of right above that spot that people are really uncomfortable talking about. Right above THAT area.

It had been sore throughout the year, but they said it’s worse than just a strain. When they went in, they found a few tears and performed laparoscopic surgery. So I don’t have a big scar or anything, just a few holes. It kind of made me feel good though because they told me the next day that they found some tears and that meant I played eight games with torn muscles. So I felt kind of tough for a second. Then that was overcome by the feeling of intense pain when I tried to move.

Dr. Meyers is one of the best doctors in the world at this type of procedure and that’s one of the perks I realized of being a pro athlete. Growing up in Canton, Illinois when you got hurt you just went to the local doctor. I’m sure they are great and do a more than adequate job, but at this level when your body is your lifeline you get the privilege of flying wherever you need to go to see the best. You can’t beat that.

So I made it through. I should return to full flight at a quick pace. Whether they told me it was a muscle strain or cancer, it wasn’t going to keep me from playing. Football is what keeps my heart beating. People can say that football is just a game, but it’s also a way of life if you doing it for a living; if it’s what you drink, eat and breath. No matter the scope of the injury there is no way they were going to get me off the field. I’m still so caught up in the moment and enjoying the rollercoaster ride.

So I had the surgery on Wednesday and stayed over night in the hospital that night. I tried to talk the nurses into giving me some purple scrubs to wear home on the plane. It didn’t really work. I even tried to pay them off and that still didn’t work.

I also realized how hospital food in Philadelphia is still miserable. So anyone who has to eat that for extended lengths of time, I feel for you.

FUN TRAVELING STORY
I flew home the next day on Thursday and I got wheeled through the airport on a wheelchair. One benefit of the surgery was I got to pre-board my flight with the elderly and children. Good times. But times were not as good when I got off the plane in Kansas City.

boomerjerseyI slowly limped to my car at the KCI airport and found that my car battery was dead. You can imagine the delight on my face when I just got released from surgery, flew home by myself and was carrying a bag that was full of clothes for a trip to San Diego. I’m trudging through the airport at turtle speed only to find that my car has no juice. I slammed the car door, threw my bag down and grumbled a few choice words to myself – ones I learned from Gunther by the way – and tried to find a nearby emergency phone. I was starting to hurt at this point and I was feeling pretty helpless.

Then I met this super nice guy named Waylon, who worked at the airport somewhere. He let me sit in his car while he jumped my car for me. That’s why you’ve got to love the Midwest, nice people. The guy basically rescued me and he has no idea. He had no idea who I was or anything, he just wanted to help. I owe you Waylon.

I made it all the way home and have been lying around mostly, completely restless. I watched the entire first season of “Rescue Me.” That’s the Dennis Leary fireman show. I love it and would recommend it to everyone. It’s been tough doing nothing because my whole life when I’ve had nothing to do I lift weights and work out. That’s how I think I got my edge. My mom had keys to the YMCA and I’d be in there lifting on vacation days like Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’d always picture that saying, “Somewhere, someone is practicing and when you meet them one-on-one will you beat them.” That was my motivation.

So now that I’m laid up and the season is over, all I want to do is get into the gym for a few hours, and that’s the one thing I can’t do. So I’ve resorted to taking long walks around the neighborhood.

BACK TO SCHOOL
This spring I’ve decided to go back to school and finish my degree. I need six credits to get my Marketing degree with a minor in Economics. Illinois State has been extremely helpful in allowing me to finish my degree at another school in my area, so I’m taking them up on it. I’ve decided to enroll at the University of Kansas. Forgive me Missouri fans, it was a matter of proximity. Columbia was two hours away, Lawrence is like 30 minutes from my house.

So I’m going back to school to get my education and take up some of my down time. My goal is to become the next Van Wilder. And oh yeah, learn something. Even though I’m an Illinois State Redbird at heart, forever and for always, there will now be a few times where I’m an honorary Jayhawks basketball fan. I went to my first KU hoops game at Allen Fieldhouse and got to watch them demolish Kentucky. I loved to atmosphere and I think it’s the closest basketball resemblance to Arrowhead in terms of noise, traditions and environment. So don’t be surprised to see me with my chest painted in Blue and Red some day.

Well, since that I’ve rambled on for several pages now I’ll try to wrap this up. I would really like to thank everybody who has been reading this online diary. It’s been my pleasure to help bring you all inside my life a little and give you a glimpse of life with the Chiefs. I have people coming up to me all the time saying that they’ve read the diary and like hearing about this and that. I appreciate hearing that and I’m glad I can find other ways to entertain than by just playing football. I’m living the dream and I know it. If there is anyway I can bring you all along I’m going to do it.

I’d also like to thank Patrick Herb of the Chiefs P.R. staff. Without his help this diary wouldn’t have happened.

Now that I’m not a rookie anymore we can officially retire the Boomer’s “Rookie” Diary title. You can now log on to kcchiefs.com for updates on simply “Boomer’s Diary.” I’ll try to check in a couple times during the off-season to update you all on the happenings with me and the team. Until that time…

Peace,

Boomer

teedubya
01-23-2006, 08:25 PM
BTW, I purchased a Boomer jersey from Arrowhead West at Oak Park Mall for $30... :)

Dunit35
01-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Boomer rules. Just think if he could become a starter or played a lot more on D. His press conferences after games would be sweet and the media would want to interview him all the time.

My brother and I met him the day before the Jets game. He was flipping cool. He had some massive arms and his hair was crazy.

ArrowheadHawk
01-23-2006, 10:46 PM
no longer a rookie hopefully he has a breakout second year

Wa-Z
01-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Can he take Bell's position? :D

Wa-Z
01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
:drool: Did someone say Boomer?

He must be in desperate need for a live-in nurse with a cute little nurse "uniform".

So am I.

Ultra Peanut
01-24-2006, 03:40 AM
I can't see what my future has in store
but I move forth with the strength of a condor
The courage of a warrior
The commitment of an American soldier
Despite this weight on my shoulder
my inner forces circulate to form
a nucleus of an unbreakable bond
These words describe the soundtrack to my life's song
My mind and body united like the Colors of Benneton
My destiny isn't told by the creases of my palm
A sharp thorn once cut my soul
The blood flowed
But no bandage would cover the wound
I couldn't help but stare at the distant moon
Waiting for a resolution to come at an instant soon
I asked the Lord, "What am I to do?"
He said, "Son, I made the sky blue
The rain falls because of me
Leaves change colors on a fall tree
I was the inspiration to Martin Luther King
I'm the reason Ray Charles could sing
I've changed others through and through
And my son, I'll do the same to you"
-- J.J. Redick

Hee hee hee. Oh, hee hee hee.

jynni
01-24-2006, 08:17 AM
I went to my first KU hoops game at Allen Fieldhouse and got to watch them demolish Kentucky.
I was at that game too! Great game.