PDA

View Full Version : Are any Planeteers stay at home dads?

pikesome
01-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Any one out there stay at home with the kids? Due to our recent move to the KC area for my wife's new job, I have found myself a stay at home dad (AKA House-husband). Watching the little one while his older brother is at school is a bit of a change from working all day but all in all not a bad change. Just way more cartoons than I'm used to. Discuss.

SLAG
01-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Being 21 and married with 2 kids heres my take...

I WISH i was a Stay at home dad. I beg my wife all time to switch spots with me- send her ass to work and I stay home- Id Love it.

She says she cant get a job making what I make (and that isnt SHIT! if anyone out there can hook it up with a good Job Shoot me a smoke) :sigh:

I want to stay home so bad

pikesome
01-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Being 21 and married with 2 kids heres my take...

I WISH i was a Stay at home dad. I beg my wife all time to switch spots with me- send her ass to work and I stay home- Id Love it.

She says she cant get a job making what I make (and that isnt SHIT! if anyone out there can hook it up with a good Job Shoot me a smoke) :sigh:

I want to stay home so bad

I worked while my wife went to nursing school, that was hard on both of us. Now that she has her ticket punched and we moved for her dream job, I'm at home. It isn't a laugh a minute party though. I do the house work, deal with a small child, all of the stuff the wife does traditionally. We even have the "your not helping at home" fights just with the roles reversed. Still I get to spend time with my 18mo old and that is not an unimportant benefit of staying at home.

SLAG
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I worked while my wife went to nursing school, that was hard on both of us. Now that she has her ticket punched and we moved for her dream job, I'm at home. It isn't a laugh a minute party though. I do the house work, deal with a small child, all of the stuff the wife does traditionally. We even have the "your not helping at home" fights just with the roles reversed. Still I get to spend time with my 18mo old and that is not an unimportant benefit of staying at home.
We are both Students right now... My wife does have her CNA I am going to try and convince her again tonight to let me stay home and send her to work

:cuss: Damnit Carl

mike_b_284
01-24-2006, 11:21 AM
You are so lazy, you know better than to let her bring in the bacon. You are whipped enough with financial leverage, you better not give her anything else to hold over your head. BTW where do you go to school?

pikesome
01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
We are both Students right now... My wife does have her CNA I am going to try and convince her again tonight to let me stay home and send her to work

:cuss: Damnit Carl

I would say that unless she gets a 4year nursing degree, you'll never be able to live off her income alone. The way to good money for a nurse is moving to more administrative jobs most of the time. Thats not to say you can't do it other ways but the best, highest paying shifts are usealy taken by the more senior nurses. Also, if she is motivated, she can work 2-3 shifts a week somewhere then pick up some more at a different employer.

01-24-2006, 11:26 AM
I work a part time job on weekends but am home during the week with 2 of my 3 kids. I love it.

pikesome
01-24-2006, 11:27 AM
You are so lazy, you know better than to let her bring in the bacon. You are whipped enough with financial leverage, you better not give her anything else to hold over your head. BTW where do you go to school?

I'm not sure that this harsh of criticism is justified. One of the things my dad regrets is not having more time to spend with us kids. It is best if one parent can stay home, especially when the kids are young, and I don't care who it is. However if you just want to stay home and watch TV while eating on the couch, well, we have names for women that do that and they aren't nice.

SLAG
01-24-2006, 11:31 AM
I would say that unless she gets a 4year nursing degree, you'll never be able to live off her income alone. The way to good money for a nurse is moving to more administrative jobs most of the time. Thats not to say you can't do it other ways but the best, highest paying shifts are usealy taken by the more senior nurses. Also, if she is motivated, she can work 2-3 shifts a week somewhere then pick up some more at a different employer.

thats the plan and thats why she is still in School she is working for her R.N

We work as a Team im not "Whipped" we just respect eachothers wishes

Im at JCCC still....

Dunit35
01-24-2006, 11:34 AM
JCCC huh? Had a buddy go there, mainly because he didn't have good enough grades to get into KU. Too bad the moron lasted the fall semester this year and flunk out. Spent too much money at the bars and now is working for his parents, paying them off.

ROYC75
01-24-2006, 11:38 AM
I stay at home and work, plus I'm a Dad and a grandad....... Does that qualify.

NewChief
01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
I do it during the summer. My wife works out of our home, too, so we're all at home during the summer.

I always thought I could do it, but after staying home with our baby all last summer, I was pretty bored. Of course, there's a difference in what you can do with a 5 month old vs. what you can do with a 5 year old. As our son gets older, I think it will get more and more fun.

pikesome
01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
I always thought I could do it, but after staying home with our baby all last summer, I was pretty bored. Of course, there's a difference in what you can do with a 5 month old vs. what you can do with a 5 year old. As our son gets older, I think it will get more and more fun.

That was kind of my thinking posting. The thought of a play date with the little ones is enough to make me look for a razor blade. To much Oprah and Daytime soaps. Throw in Chiefs football, maybe it would be enjoyable.

bogie
01-24-2006, 11:43 AM
In the past when my child was not in school, my wife and I had our share of "you go to work and I'll be glad to stay at home" arguments. But, in reality, I would have probably gone crazy. Now that my kid is in school though, I'd trade places in a heart beat.

pikesome
01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
I stay at home and work, plus I'm a Dad and a grandad....... Does that qualify.

If you take care of the kids and do all that, well, I would nominate you for Grand-Poobah of SAHDs (Stay at Home Dads). :)

Chiefs Express
01-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I was the house husband for about 18 months in the early 90's. It wasn't fun and the other half of the equation still felt like she was working two full time jobs.

It didn't matter what I did, it wasn't enough. But then I concentrated on the "guy" stuff you do at home. Paint the house, inside and out, fix whatever needed to be fixed and attempt, notice I said attempt, to clean the house. Turns out I suck as a house cleaner, but that is somewhat expected for someone with my background.

StcChief
01-24-2006, 11:54 AM
NFW would I have done that.

Go luck SAH dads, glad it's you and not me.

mike_b_284
01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
We work as a Team im not "Whipped" we just respect eachothers wishes

Im at JCCC still....

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

NewChief
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
It didn't matter what I did, it wasn't enough. But then I concentrated on the "guy" stuff you do at home. Paint the house, inside and out, fix whatever needed to be fixed and attempt, notice I said attempt, to clean the house. Turns out I suck as a house cleaner, but that is somewhat expected for someone with my background.

That's probably the most frustrating part about it. Unless my wife actually does the work, she doesn't feel like the house is clean. I could completely scrub and clean the house while she's gone for a day, and she'd still think it was dirty unless she did it. We both know this, so you'd think that the answer would be just to let her do all the housecleaning. Unfortunately that "solution" doesn't appear to be to her liking.

01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
That's probably the most frustrating part about it. Unless my wife actually does the work, she doesn't feel like the house is clean. I could completely scrub and clean the house while she's gone for a day, and she'd still think it was dirty unless she did it. We both know this, so you'd think that the answer would be just to let her do all the housecleaning. Unfortunately that "solution" doesn't appear to be to her liking.

They always have that need to tell you "how to do it". I just tell her how to clean now. She doesn't bug me about it anymore.

pikesome
01-24-2006, 12:03 PM

I've got a leg up on most in this regard. I enjoy cooking more than my wife does and 4 years in the Navy gave me the desire and the ability to keep the house clean. It also helps that she's not overly anal about the state of the house. Toddlers ensure that no house stays clean long.

Inspector
01-24-2006, 12:59 PM
My job often has me working when I'm at home. Seems my job is pretty much 24 x 7 whether I'm in the office or at home.

And when I'm at home, I often take care of one or more of my grankids since my wife sort of provides full time day care to help out our kids and their wives.

eh...guess that don't count for much of anything....

Chiefs Express
01-24-2006, 01:07 PM

That solution is a lose lose situation. I gave up and got another job.

TNTEICHER
01-24-2006, 01:16 PM
I supported my wife while she got a Masters degree in Psychology. When she got into medical school after that I started staying home with our 1st daughter. Well now two more kids later and I'm still at home. I have two in school and a 20 month old. It was my wife's idea that I stay home in the first place but I sure damn sure didn't expect to be at home 8 years later. I haven't worked in so long I don't know what I'm qualified to do.

sedated
01-24-2006, 01:23 PM

tell that ungrateful b!tch to get her ass on the floor and scrub, and while she's down there...

pikesome
01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
I supported my wife while she got a Masters degree in Psychology. When she got into medical school after that I started staying home with our 1st daughter. Well now two more kids later and I'm still at home. I have two in school and a 20 month old. It was my wife's idea that I stay home in the first place but I sure damn sure didn't expect to be at home 8 years later. I haven't worked in so long I don't know what I'm qualified to do.

Well, since full-time child care cost about $800-$1000 a month here, you can look at it as your earning that much just taking care of the kids.

chiefs4me
01-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, since full-time child care cost about $800-$1000 a month here, you can look at it as your earning that much just taking care of the kids.

Where do you live? I have my son in a private christian school for pre-k, he is 4 and it's mon-fri and only 325.00 a month.......:shrug: 800-1000 I have never heard of that......:shake: hell you should open a daycare..

TNTEICHER
01-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Where do you live? I have my son in a private christian school for pre-k, he is 4 and it's mon-fri and only 325.00 a month.......:shrug: 800-1000 I have never heard of that......:shake: hell you should open a daycare..

Dude that is cheap. I was paying that for a child to go twice a week.

Inspector
01-24-2006, 03:12 PM

(psssst...that would be "dudette". She's a foxy internet girl.)

bogie
01-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I've got a leg up on most in this regard. I enjoy cooking more than my wife does and 4 years in the Navy gave me the desire and the ability to keep the house clean. It also helps that she's not overly anal about the state of the house. Toddlers ensure that no house stays clean long.

Yea my wife grew up with a mother that was over the top when it came to cleaning, so she's pretty relaxed about the whole cleaning thing. We have a house cleaner that comes twice a month and between her visits, except for picking up clutter, we pretty much let it go. Thank goodness for dishwashers.

chiefs4me
01-24-2006, 05:48 PM

I am in the same state as you, there shouldn't be that much price difference..:shrug:

wutamess
01-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Well I work from home and watch the 1.5 yo.
The youngest (6mos) goes to daycare and will soon be joining us to stay @ home (around April).

The oldest(8 yo) goes to school. This is the first year she hasn't had to do before & after school daycare because we're allowed to work from home. (Thank you Katrina)

My department allowed us to WFH so that we could save money when Katrina hit and gas prices were above $3. We've been allowed to stay working from home because our scorecard numbers were actually better since we did nothing but BS a lot of the time while at work anyways.

~Not looking forward to watching the 2 youngest for 10 hours a day. :cuss:

Bob Dole
01-24-2006, 06:29 PM
Im at JCCC still....

One of Bob Dole's employees was just added to the Wall of Honor there.

Thanks for making Bob Dole feel really, really old.