PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs checkout Cutler and Watson

Hal McRae
01-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Chiefs were spotted paying close attention to Jay Cutler and Gabe Watson today at the Senior Bowl practices.

I doubt we can get Cutler without a trade, as his stock is soaring, but Watson would be a fit....

Chiefs also talked with a USC guard, according to DD.com

Nice info from Mobile:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

nychief
01-24-2006, 09:36 PM
good post - and the best screne name

nychief
01-24-2006, 09:42 PM
I can't imagine us taking a QB first....but then again.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-24-2006, 09:44 PM
didn't watch much college football this year....how good is this cutler???

Pasta Little Brioni
01-24-2006, 09:54 PM
thanks he sounds awesome, so i'm sure he'll be long gone before we pick....i hope we go defense with the 1st pick myself, but if a top notch O-lineman or santonio holmes were there i wouldn't mind too much.

siberian khatru
01-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Best avatar EVAH!

Pasta Little Brioni
01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
PGM, here is a great article on Cutler, maybe as high as #3 overall

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/SPORTS01/601240353/1002/MTCN0302

I agree, wide receiver has got a spot.....Kennison won't play forever; Boe has never gotten over the 2004 injury and Dante is mostly kick returner, ect....

Should be fascinating to see who King Carl selects :hmmm:

good read...seems the titans may be interested in making him a very rich man with taking him 3rd overall.

i would love to get one of those stud DE's this year.

nychief
01-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Kiwi would answer a lot of our questions.

FAX
01-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Cutler has a lot of promise. Plays here in Nashville (Vanderbilt). Smart. Guts. Cool. Leader. Has most of the fundamentals. The Titan's were talking him up here quite a bit this year as an understudy to McNair.

FAX

SoCalBronco
01-24-2006, 10:34 PM
The Chiefs were also gushing over Notre Dame WR Maurice Stovall.

Today they also interviewed Auburn TE/WR Anthony Mix.

Frosty
01-24-2006, 10:38 PM
From the blog:

One day after arriving in Mobile, we have already seen what we expected from the wide receivers, which isn’t a lot. After watching recent Biletnikoff Award winner Mike Hass (90 rec, 1,532 yards and 6 TD's) from Oregon State light up defensive backs at the East-West Game Saturday (4 receptions, 107 yards and the game winning TD), we are left to wonder why the organizers of the Senior Bowl are so insistent on keeping him out the game, despite repeated pleas to add him to the roster?

Rumor is the Senior Bowl is unimpressed with Hass’ estimated speed. This has prompted Senior Bowl spokesman Vic Knight to constantly claim "Awards are not a basis for our invitations." However, the Senior Bowl recently added Oregon wide receiver Demetrius Williams, who is just about the same size as Hass and has consistently clocked in the mid 4.6’s in college. That’s not to say Williams isn’t a worthy player, because he is. Nonetheless, if size and speed isn’t a huge factor for Williams, why is it a factor for the more productive Hass?

A big 4321 to the Senior Bowl :harumph:

Reaper16
01-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I like Hass. Especially in the 3rd round or so if he continues to go relatively under the radar. :thumb:

ZootedGranny
01-24-2006, 10:44 PM
I'd pass on Gabe Watson considering the other DTs that'll be there when the Chiefs pick.

I'm not saying he'll be a bust by any means, but he tanked his senior year after a good junior year. Who knows if he's regaining his form & hunger, or if he's simply trying to raise his stock before the draft?

I think Kiwi will be off of the board before we pick, along with Mario Williams. Then again, DJ fell to the Chiefs last year, so there's always hope.

Hammock Parties
01-24-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm onboard the Jay Cutler bandwagon.

Despite my only knowledge of him coming from this thread.

tk13
01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm onboard the Jay Cutler bandwagon.

Despite my only knowledge of him coming from this thread.
I saw him play in high school. He went to the same high school former Colts TE Ken Dilger went to.... good program. I have to say when I saw him I didn't think "now there's a guy who's gonna be a top 5 draft pick", but he's done nicely for himself at Vandy.

FAX
01-24-2006, 11:17 PM
The thing that stands out about Cutler (especially this year) is that he never, ever quits. He keeps the team focused and keeps coming at you. Doesn't get rattled, etc. He is impressive in this regard.

As for NFL-caliber QB skills, he has work to do. He has good fundamentals, but needs development in order to perform at the NFL level - at least that is the opinion of the Titan staff who have watched him closely as I am, unfortunately, unqualified as an NFL scout.

FAX THE UNQUALIFIED

pikesome
01-24-2006, 11:34 PM
The thing that stands out about Cutler (especially this year) is that he never, ever quits. He keeps the team focused and keeps coming at you. Doesn't get rattled, etc. He is impressive in this regard.

As for NFL-caliber QB skills, he has work to do. He has good fundamentals, but needs development in order to perform at the NFL level - at least that is the opinion of the Titan staff who have watched him closely as I am, unfortunately, unqualified as an NFL scout.

FAX THE UNQUALIFIED

I can't speak to Cutler's physical abilities or play (didn't see him play) but the attitude aspect is priceless. I had a conversation with my brother today about QBs and where I thought Montana, Brady, Marino, Manning, Green and Big Ben related to each other and their game. The only thing I think we agreed on was that the will to win, that killer instinct, is the most important thing. You can coach up a decent QB or adjust your gameplan around his abilities but if he wilts *cough* Plummer *cough* there is little you can do to fix that.

Mecca
01-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Gabe Watson is the type of player we need.....It's nice to see the Chiefs have interest in him.

Dave Lane
01-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Uckkk! this sounds worse than Sims.

Weaknesses:
Underachiever who doesn't always play up to his talent level...Looks like a Top 5 pick on one play and a 7th rounder on the next...Lazy and needs to show more effort on a consistent basis...Struggles to stay in shape and gets too heavy...Has trouble with his stamina and easily runs out of gas...Seems to be on the ground a lot...Will never be a great pass rusher...Was actually benched as a senior.

Dave

Mr. Laz
01-25-2006, 12:05 AM
(71) TAITUSI LUTUI–Offensive Guard-Offensive Tackle, 6-6, 365, Sr./Sr., Mesa, AZ (Mesa HS/Snow JC)

2005: Lutui, who started at right offensive tackle in 2004, was moved to left guard in 2005 fall camp and not only ended up starting there all season as a senior, but he had an honors-filled season. He was named a 2005 Football Coaches, Football Writers, The Sporting News, ESPN.com, SI.com, CBS Sportsline.com and Rivals.com All-American first teamer and AP, Walter Camp and Collegefootballnews.com All-American second teamer. He also made the 2005 All-Pac-10 first team. He made the 2005 ESPN.com All-Pac-10 team. He won USC’s Offensive Lineman of the Year, Co-Most Inspirational Player and Co-Lifter Awards. He also earned a place on the

Rivals.com All-Bowl team.

2004: Lutui, who came to USC in the fall of 2005 as a heralded junior college transfer, started all season at right offensive tackle as a junior in 2004 and did a fine job.

JUNIOR COLLEGE: He was named to the 2003 J.C. Grid-Wire All-American first team, National Junior College Athletic Association All-American first team, Super Prep JUCO 100 and All-Western States Football League first team as a sophomore offensive lineman at Snow Junior College in Ephraim (Utah). Snow went 9-1 and tied for fourth in the final NJCAA poll. He spent his 2002 freshman season at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College. He originally signed with Utah in 2002, but did not qualify for admission.

HIGH SCHOOL: As a senior two-way lineman at Mesa (Ariz.) High in 2001, he was a Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best of the Rest, All-State, All-Region and All-conference selection.

As a junior in 2000, he made All-State, All-Region and All-Conference.
PERSONAL: He’s a sociology major at USC. He was married in July of 2004 and his wife’s name is Pua. Their son, Inoke Liuaki Moeltau (“Return a champion”), was born on Jan. 5, 2005, the day after USC’s win in the 2005 Orange Bowl. His brother, Sam, was an assistant football coach at Southern Utah, where he also started on the line in 1995 and 1996. He is related to current BYU players T.J. Sitake and David Tafuna and former Cougar Ofa Mohetau. His nickname is “Deuce.” He was born in Ha’api, Tonga.

TAITUSI LUTUI ON: His size: “I have always been one big boy. When I want to, I can eat. I’m trying to cut down, but I love my rice and those carbs.” Surviving an auto accident when he was 6 years old that killed his sister and disabled his father: “It was a trauma for all of us. I was determined after that to make something of my life. My parents were hurt, but I felt they had brought us to this country for a purpose…As a teenager, I had to take care of the family. I was the one paying the bills. My parents, coming from the Tongan Islands, weren’t too familiar with the American system.”

Mecca
01-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Uckkk! this sounds worse than Sims.

Weaknesses:
Underachiever who doesn't always play up to his talent level...Looks like a Top 5 pick on one play and a 7th rounder on the next...Lazy and needs to show more effort on a consistent basis...Struggles to stay in shape and gets too heavy...Has trouble with his stamina and easily runs out of gas...Seems to be on the ground a lot...Will never be a great pass rusher...Was actually benched as a senior.

Dave

Ted Washingtons lazy too......fact is all fat guys are marked as lazy. But you need them in the middle of your line to eat up blocks and defend the run. High Motor DT's are guys who are backups and play for the league minimum, if you read that scouting report and think "oh he's lazy" ask the Pat's how happy they were to have big lazy Ted Washington.

pikesome
01-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Cutler's attitude is priceless -- Kind of like Brett Favre, except Cutler doesn't like opponents....

He'll never, ever lay down like dog to give a player a record like Favre did (Strahan) than pat him on the back.....Cutler looks like he doesn't even like shaking opponents hands.

If a DB pushes him, he swings back.....He gets hit hard, he'll come back with an elbow while getting up.

I like him as a prospect, just wish he didn't have to rocket up the charts (if he does so soon).

You love some fire but I hope he channels that drive well in the pros. Hate to see a talented player get egged into doing something stupid. You know that defenses would be looking at pushing him as far as they can.

Mecca
01-25-2006, 12:08 AM
(71) TAITUSI LUTUI–Offensive Guard-Offensive Tackle, 6-6, 365, Sr./Sr., Mesa, AZ (Mesa HS/Snow JC)

2005: Lutui, who started at right offensive tackle in 2004, was moved to left guard in 2005 fall camp and not only ended up starting there all season as a senior, but he had an honors-filled season. He was named a 2005 Football Coaches, Football Writers, The Sporting News, ESPN.com, SI.com, CBS Sportsline.com and Rivals.com All-American first teamer and AP, Walter Camp and Collegefootballnews.com All-American second teamer. He also made the 2005 All-Pac-10 first team. He made the 2005 ESPN.com All-Pac-10 team. He won USC’s Offensive Lineman of the Year, Co-Most Inspirational Player and Co-Lifter Awards. He also earned a place on the

Rivals.com All-Bowl team.

2004: Lutui, who came to USC in the fall of 2005 as a heralded junior college transfer, started all season at right offensive tackle as a junior in 2004 and did a fine job.

JUNIOR COLLEGE: He was named to the 2003 J.C. Grid-Wire All-American first team, National Junior College Athletic Association All-American first team, Super Prep JUCO 100 and All-Western States Football League first team as a sophomore offensive lineman at Snow Junior College in Ephraim (Utah). Snow went 9-1 and tied for fourth in the final NJCAA poll. He spent his 2002 freshman season at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College. He originally signed with Utah in 2002, but did not qualify for admission.

HIGH SCHOOL: As a senior two-way lineman at Mesa (Ariz.) High in 2001, he was a Super Prep All-Farwest, Prep Star All-West, Long Beach Press-Telegram Best of the Rest, All-State, All-Region and All-conference selection.

As a junior in 2000, he made All-State, All-Region and All-Conference.
PERSONAL: He’s a sociology major at USC. He was married in July of 2004 and his wife’s name is Pua. Their son, Inoke Liuaki Moeltau (“Return a champion”), was born on Jan. 5, 2005, the day after USC’s win in the 2005 Orange Bowl. His brother, Sam, was an assistant football coach at Southern Utah, where he also started on the line in 1995 and 1996. He is related to current BYU players T.J. Sitake and David Tafuna and former Cougar Ofa Mohetau. His nickname is “Deuce.” He was born in Ha’api, Tonga.

TAITUSI LUTUI ON: His size: “I have always been one big boy. When I want to, I can eat. I’m trying to cut down, but I love my rice and those carbs.” Surviving an auto accident when he was 6 years old that killed his sister and disabled his father: “It was a trauma for all of us. I was determined after that to make something of my life. My parents were hurt, but I felt they had brought us to this country for a purpose…As a teenager, I had to take care of the family. I was the one paying the bills. My parents, coming from the Tongan Islands, weren’t too familiar with the American system.”

He actually come in quite a bit smaller than that.......6'3 338 are his marks coming out this week.

ZootedGranny
01-25-2006, 12:09 AM
Other players the Chiefs looked at, according to http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/north124.html :

Davin Joseph (OL)
Mark Setterstrom (G)
Anwar Phillips (CB)
Michael Robinson (QB maybe WR)
the aforementioned USC guard, Deuce Lutui

Mecca
01-25-2006, 12:11 AM
We should be looking at safeties too.........

Mr. Laz
01-25-2006, 12:12 AM
He actually come in quite a bit smaller than that.......6'3 338 are his marks coming out this week.
okay... i just grabbed that from his school bio

Hal McRae
01-25-2006, 12:12 AM
You love some fire but I hope he channels that drive well in the pros. Hate to see a talented player get egged into doing something stupid. You know that defenses would be looking at pushing him as far as they can.

You know Pike, I thought of that too....

There is a very thin line between being a good feisty and Ryan Leaf type pyscho, who folds when the going gets tough.

We won't find out until he plays in the NFL, but he seems to be an ultimate team player.....As bad as Vandy was, they got worse due to injuries during the season and he never publicly took on teammates.

Mecca
01-25-2006, 12:13 AM
I know, I was just saying that for anyone who was gonna say, "holy crap that guy is far to fat and out of shape for us to draft."

B_Ambuehl
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Gabe Watson is the type of player we need.....It's nice to see the Chiefs have interest in him

yes that bench down on the sideline does get awful cold in December and the Chiefs need another big ass to keep it warm.

Mecca
01-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Alright, let's never address our DT need then. We can't keep picking undersized 3 technique DT's.

Munson
01-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Alright, let's never address our DT need then. We can't keep picking undersized 3 technique DT's.

KC has been trying to address the DT problem for years. They've used first, second, and third round picks, and every one they've drafted has been a bust. Its time to start addressing other areas and stop wasting so many picks on one position.

Mecca
01-25-2006, 02:06 AM
KC has been trying to address the DT problem for years. They've used first, second, and third round picks, and every one they've drafted has been a bust. Its time to start addressing other areas and stop wasting so many picks on one position.

Yea, cause the coaching staff was dumb.........We pick Ryan Sims cause Vermiels buddy John Bunting told him to. We pick Eddie Freeman move him to end, draft a 5th round project in the 2nd round in Siavii. Then add that in with a reach pick of Eric Downing in a year where we were lacking picks to begin with.

There are 2 DT's in this draft that fit what we need, Haloti Ngata and Gabe Watson, we have no shot at Ngata. Am I saying Watson should hands down be our pick? No, but he may be the best option when our pick comes up.

Dunit35
01-25-2006, 02:30 AM
I'm interested in Cutler.. What time do these practices come on? They do show them on ESPN like last year?

Mecca
01-25-2006, 02:33 AM
I'm interested in Cutler.. What time do these practices come on? They do show them on ESPN like last year?

It's on from 1:30-2:30 tomorrow afternoon on ESPN.

Tribal Warfare
01-25-2006, 07:00 AM
It's on from 1:30-2:30 tomorrow afternoon on ESPN.

2:00-3:00 on the NFL Network and the recap is on 7:30-8:00

jspchief
01-25-2006, 08:45 AM
If Cutler is for real, he'll never make it to #20.

Fisher gets a weeks worth of free workouts with him by coaching him in the Senior Bowl. If he's as good as advertised, the Titans will take him with the 3rd pick.

I'm not a fan of Watson, at least not as a first round pick. I realize all DTs are fat and lazy, but Watson just disappears in the middle of games. He may have the size, but I'm not sure he has the heart to be a great DT. The guy is over-rated, plain and simple.

Mr. Laz
01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Yea, cause the coaching staff was dumb.........We pick Ryan Sims cause Vermiels buddy John Bunting told him to. We pick Eddie Freeman move him to end, draft a 5th round project in the 2nd round in Siavii. Then add that in with a reach pick of Eric Downing in a year where we were lacking picks to begin with.
:clap:

RedThat
01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Yea,cause the coaching staff was dumb .........We pick Ryan Sims cause Vermiels buddy John Bunting told him to. We pick Eddie Freeman move him to end, draft a 5th round project in the 2nd round in Siavii. Then add that in with a reach pick of Eric Downing in a year where we were lacking picks to begin with.

Yup. And too even mention the amount of loyalty they gave to underachievers like Hicks.

Vermeil even came out and said, Sims was going to be a dominant player one day. We all know how that turned out. Last year, DV said DL wasn't a problem.

I hold Vermeil accountable for the failure and underachievement of our DL over the years. The is one the main reasons the Chiefs have failed in their pursuit, quest for a Lombardi Trophy.

RedThat
01-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Vermeil even said were lucky to have Dalton. Puh-lease.

The guy is nothing but a backup.

phxchief
01-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Kiwi would answer a lot of our questions.

:shake:

There are multiple DEs better than him.

Kiwanuka is getting HANDLED by D'Brickashaw Ferguson, almost embarrassed.

phxchief
01-25-2006, 12:40 PM
The guy is over-rated, plain and simple.

Not really.

He's had first-round talent since HS, but the question was always work ethic.

No one even rates him now.

Mr. Laz
01-25-2006, 12:55 PM

you know i've read about Kiwi beating Ferguson as well

:shrug:

tomahawk kid
01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I read Watson's profile on Kiper's "Big Board".

His down side sounds eerily familiar.

"Lack of elite Burst", "Might be nothing more than a two down DT", "Not a great athlete" etc.....

Any Wolverine fans in the house to enlighten a Big 12 refugee?

Hal McRae
01-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Sounds like Kiwi and D'Brick are having some great battles, as are Dvoracek and the OC from Ohio State....just great players, on their level, going back and forth.

The talent is so great in the Senior Bowl, and pressure to preform is so high, it's really hard to tell who's doing what in practices....and different eyes see things in different ways.

Kiwi is a freak....I'd love to see him next to Jared Allen....Jared's QB sack totals would spike?

But I doubt Kiwi reaches us....I'm looking at Tamba Hali, but he looks sort of smallish and squat...maybe a DE/DT tweener in the NFL?

Maybe in round 3, or so, we can get another Jared type that surprises folks -- James Wyche, Ryan LaCasse, Rob Ninkovich, the DE from Indiana who's name I can never remember?

BigChiefFan
01-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Sounds like Kiwi and D'Brick are having some great battles, as are Dvoracek and the OC from Ohio State....just great players, on their level, going back and forth.

The talent is so great in the Senior Bowl, and pressure to preform is so high, it's really hard to tell who's doing what in practices....and different eyes see things in different ways.

Kiwi is a freak....I'd love to see him next to Jared Allen....Jared's QB sack totals would spike?

But I doubt Kiwi reaches us....I'm looking at Tamba Hali, but he looks sort of smallish and squat...maybe a DE/DT tweener in the NFL?

Maybe in round 3, or so, we can get another Jared type that surprises folks -- James Wyche, Ryan LaCasse, Rob Ninkovich, the DE from Indiana who's name I can never remember?

Dusty Dvoracek is a bad mofo. He's a tough kid, who ENJOYS knocking the shit out of people. He's not the best athlete, but he's a Hell of a football player and will give his all on every down. I bet his stock rises.

Mecca
01-25-2006, 08:36 PM

Multiple? there's one, Mario Williams. Because he can't beat the consensus best OT in the draft every single time does not make him a crappy prospect.

I got news for you, we are picking 20th, not 2nd. Any player that is on the board when we pick is going to have some kind of question mark. If they didn't they'd have gone before our pick.

BigChiefFan
01-25-2006, 08:57 PM
I agree. He is in a tough spot on ESPN, going 1 on 1 with the best OC in America (Ohio State)....

But as Craig James said, that's not Dusty's game -- harassing the QB.

He's more of a tough, runstopping player...

Kiper thinks he's a 3rd round, I wonder if he can't higher than that?
Dusty Dvoracek
2006 NFL Draft Prospect

from Dane Brugler

Position: Defensive Tackle
School: Oklahoma

Height: 6-3

Weight: 298

Positives:
A player who plays at 100%, Dusty Dvoracek never gives up and often plays with his heart. A guy who plays for the name on the front of the jersey and not the back, he is very athletic and intimidating. Dvoracek is very quick off the snap and is a playmaker.Sponsored Links
Nfl Draft

Negatives:
Dvoracek has a history of injuries as well as anger problems. He was dismissed from the team in 2004, but allowed to return for 2005. Dvoracek doesn’t possess the greatest size, but he makes up for it with his determination.

Overview:
A great player when healthy, Dvoracek plays at a high energy level on each play. He is a very devoted player who will do the dirty work. Dvoracek plays a bit imbalanced, but is an outstanding football with a great drive and love for the game.Suggested Reading
More NFL Draft Prospects

HolmeZz
01-25-2006, 11:52 PM

Kiwi is a left end.