PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging Stats - KC and StL on Grass

Bob Dole
10-21-2000, 04:45 AM
Some reason for encouragement, as far as Bob Dole is concerned, is validation that the Rams are a pretty normal team when playing on a surface that is soil-based.

<a href="http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/last5/KC-ONGRASS-matchup.htm">Rams Mortal?</a>

Kurt Surber
10-21-2000, 05:06 AM
Mr Dole-When was the last time the Rams played a regular season game on grass? Is it possible that they have improved since then? (The last loss on grass was over a year ago.)I wonder if anyone realizes that they practice EVERY day on grass?

I may be dense but I have yet to figure out how rain or grass can have an affect on the game. Won't both teams be playing on the same surface and under the same conditions? If it slows M Faulk won't it slow Donnie Edwards? If the wind blows K Warners pass off line won't it blow Elvis' (or is that Elvis's or Elvises or maybe Elvi?) I think you get the pic.

All I say is I hope the King is out there Sunday morning with the firehose and the grass is three feet tall. I still would wager the best team will win, straight up that is.

[This message has been edited by Kurt Surber (edited 10-21-2000).]

Bob Dole
10-21-2000, 05:20 AM
Bob Dole isn't questioning whether the best team Sunday will win. Bob Dole is not questioning that the weather and surface impacts both teams. There's a pretty good chance, though, that rain and real grass will impact St. Louis more than KC.

Try an example:

Bob Dole walks into his office over a marble floor every day wearing leather soled shoes with hard rubber heels. When your feet are wet, it's like walking on ice. Bob Dole makes the walk repeatedly and knows to compensate by walking differently when his feet are wet. Kurt Surber walks to his office over carpet every day in similar shoes. Kurt Surber comes to visit Bob Dole and it's raining. Bob Dole thinks the odds are pretty good Kurt Surber is going to fall and bust his a$$ because he's not used to stepping gingerly when his feet are damp.

Bob Dole
10-21-2000, 05:23 AM
Forgot to respond to your first question.

"The Rams have not played on grass yet this season. The closest they've come to the real thing was an artificial turf at the University of Washington's Husky Stadium, where they faced the Seattle Seahawks. That turf is more grasslike than typical artificial turf, but it's still not grass. The Rams have prospered on turf, which can be beneficial to speedy teams."

<a href="http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/teamrpt/0,1601,427,00.html">Source</a>

Kurt Surber
10-21-2000, 05:50 AM
MR Dole-LMAO. Now, suppose Kurt Surber walks all the time on damp marble floors with leather soled shoes at home, but only walks on carpeted floors when he goes to work. Why would Kurt Surber slip and fall on his @ss when he visits Bob Dole in his marble floored office? Oh, I get it now, it's because I'm in Bob Doles office and not my home. Stupid me! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Did Bob Dole miss the item about the Rams practicing outside on grass every day?

Bob Dole
10-21-2000, 05:57 AM
No, Kurt, Bob Dole didn't miss it. Bob Dole just feels like arguing with someone because he has nothing better to do while drinking his coffee.

Has Bob Dole pointed out that you're taking the minority stance on this issue?

All Bob Dole knows is that he's played on both and there's a difference. The balls bounce differently, you wear different shoes, it hurts more to get tackled on plastic stuff, yada yada yada...

gh4chiefs
10-21-2000, 07:08 AM
I guess I'm in the minority too, because I can't see how rain is really going to be to advantage either. Convential wisdom is that rain slows down the passing game and is more conducive to a running attack.

Well, uh, last time I checked, WE HAVE NO RUNNING GAME.

So I'm not sure how it can be good, it may slow down the Rams, but won't it just slow us down too?

I've said it before, I hope you guys are right, but I just don't see it. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

------------------
Gary

[This message has been edited by gh4chiefs (edited 10-21-2000).]

Luzap
10-21-2000, 07:52 AM
I've also played on both and I've always felt that more than giving any particular team an advantage, turf gives the Offense the advantage.

You can be much quicker on turf and therefor place the onus to react on the defender. It truly emphasises the difference in reaction times.

Luz
now if your team's strength happens to be offense anyway...

Bob Dole
10-21-2000, 08:48 AM
Bob Dole doesn't think game-time rain is to our advantage, either. The point was that there is some advantage to walking/running/playing on a surface with which one is familiar.

DJay23
10-21-2000, 05:55 PM
I hope it is 70 degrees sunny and dry without a cloud in the sky, birds chirping, people in shirts sleeves, etc. Then I hope we go out and give the Rams a good old fashioned Arrowhead @ss whoopin so there are no excuses. I swear I will give up drinking if we beat the Lakers like we did the Niners a couple of years ago. Did I say Lakers?

Warrior5
10-21-2000, 06:53 PM
DJ,
I'm gonna hold you to that on Monday morning!

DaKCMan AP
10-21-2000, 07:12 PM
The Lambs practice everyday on grass? Ok, so what? They don't happen practice on soaking wet, long grass, do they?

Warrior5
10-22-2000, 07:00 PM
DJay23,
I see now you provided yourself an out by saying "Lakers" instead of "Rams". Remind me to never try to hold you to an oath. Go celebrate and drink yourself into a coma (have a Pepsi for me).
Let's hope Grbac and Hicks are OK for the Seahawks next week. This is a must-win for us to have a legitimate shot at the playoffs.<BR>

Bob Dole
10-22-2000, 07:03 PM
Bob Dole just wanted to pull this back up and take the opportunity to admit his ignorance.

Thankfully, the grass and moisture had no impact on the game whatsoever.

KC just spanked them li'l ole Rams.

Enjoy, Kurt.