PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Dental Help

ChiefsFanatic
01-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Please, if you read this, don't be an ass. I have been a member of this BB for 5 years, and have tried to be a good member. Thank you for any help.

I grew up very poor. I am talking water-in-my-cereal poor. [if I was ever lucky enough to have cereal] My parents never had enough money for anything, much less the dentist.

I have only been to the dentist twice in my life. Once when I was 13 [I am now 34] for a cleaning after my parents got divorced, and once when I was 24.

When I went the second time I had to be given valium [for extreme anxiety] and then put under by gas [I have an extreme fear of needles] While under the influence of the gas I had a panic attack, except that I couldn't move or tell anyone. Needless to say, it was a horrible experience, and I never returned.

At this point in my life I am uninsured. My problem is that both my back molars are ravaged with cavaties. To compound this, my wisdom teeth have nowhere to come in, and are forcing their way into my gumline. This obviously puts a huge amount of pressure on my back molars.

And if that is not bad enough, the very small parts of my wisdom teeth that have made it through also have cavaties.

My wisdom teeth and my molars need to be removed, but I do not have the cash to pay for that. Anyone who has a problem similar to this knows what kind of pain it can cause.

My question for fellow Planet members is if anyone knows about an inexpensive dentist or oral surgeon, or any other means that an uninsured person can get help without having a ton of money. One person suggested that I try the dental college, but another friend of mine said that he had heard horror stories about people getting work done there.

Any help would be very much appreciated. If you made it through this entire post, thanks.

And, no, I am not British. No, I do not live in a trailer park. [I have heard lots of snide remarks from people who claim to be my friends, so I can only imagine what people who don't know me will say]

Thanks for your time, and any help you can suggest.

ChiefsFanatic

chief52
01-28-2006, 10:58 AM
I wish I could give you some advice, but I have none. There must be someplace, though. Hopefully someone will come up with a plan.

I do feel for you. My parents drug me to the dentist faithfully when I was a kid. I hated it, but obviously I was very fortunate. Sometime we that had it so good do not appreciate it. Good luck...there has to be something out there.

'52

Simplex3
01-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Have you looked into Medicaid? I don't pay all these taxes for nothing. Or at least I hope I don't.

jspchief
01-28-2006, 11:05 AM
You could always just stiff the dentist. I don't think they charge up front.

But my suggestion would to get a job with dental insurance.

ChiefsFanatic
01-28-2006, 11:07 AM
You could always just stiff the dentist. I don't think they charge up front.

But my suggestion would to get a job with dental insurance.

As soon as I get out of school.

Phobia
01-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Two options:
http://dentistry.umkc.edu/bec_patient/becomingpatient.htm

Also if you make very little money per year you may qualify for subsidized care. Swope Medical Center on Blue Parkway (near the Plaza) may be able to help you.

Good luck.

Simplex3
01-28-2006, 11:40 AM
You know, another option is the route my grandfather always used. Go to the garage, find the cleanest pair of pliers you have, then reach in and yank it out. Of course my family generally has very few nerve endings so that might really hurt.

Extra Point
01-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Phobia is right. The UMKC Dental School is excellent, and has pay plans to suit one's budget.

Good luck to you.

Hoover
01-28-2006, 12:49 PM
I had all 4 wisdom teeth yanked out, it cost about 1500 bucks, insurance covered 600 of it.

Dental work is expensive, I would go talk to a Dentist about making payments to have this work done.

Hoover
01-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Great point about dental schools, the university of Iowa does a lot of that, fo talk to the school and let them know you situation, best of luck.

penguinz
01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I had all 4 wisdom teeth yanked out, it cost about 1500 bucks, insurance covered 600 of it.

Dental work is expensive, I would go talk to a Dentist about making payments to have this work done.
You got screwed. I had all 4 removed. Was put all th eway under by IV becasue they were impacted and it cost me under $600 without insurance. But that was 7 years ago. Costs have probably gone up.

alanm
01-28-2006, 01:15 PM
CF, First thing Monday call the Blue Springs Community Services office and ask about Health and Dental care. Most places have Dr's and Dentists for low income people. I know here where I live in Scottsbluff, Ne they have a Dental clinic where you just show up and they take you on a first come, first serve basis. The dentists are out of dental school and usually doing their residency. Best thing is their very cheap. I've used them in emergencies and never had a problem.
But you have to call to find out the location in Blue Springs.

Good luck!

SLAG
01-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Here is a helpful link:

http://www.kcfree.org/pages/services.shtml

Also Sometime during the year like 500 Dentists or something like that go up to the KS Speedway and Hold a weekend of Free Dental Work. So keep your Ears and Eyes Posted for that (Unless those are broken too :p )

ChiefsFanatic
01-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. You have all been very nice, as well. Thanks.

Bwana
01-28-2006, 01:52 PM
It sounds like you got some good advise, let us know what happens and good luck.

Phobia
01-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. You have all been very nice, as well. Thanks.

That was entirely unintentional. I just don't have a whole lot of fresh tooth material. I've already used it all on Slayer Diablo.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Best of luck, CF.

BTW, whatever happened to Slayer?

Phobia
01-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Best of luck, CF.

BTW, whatever happened to Slayer?

He took a hint.

Skip Towne
01-28-2006, 02:07 PM
He took a hint.
Yeah, it took us what....................two years to run him off? He was a lot of fun while he lasted. Million dollar lawsuits for throwing paperwads, Spy work, driving into houses, green teeth, beard growing contest.

KcMizzou
01-28-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah, it took us what....................two years to run him off? He was a lot of fun while he lasted. Million dollar lawsuits for throwing paperwads, Spy work, driving into houses, green teeth, beard growing contest.ROFL After reading all that, I do wish he'd come back.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
ROFL

I see...

I kinda miss Chuck Norris' best student, Slayer Diablo.

Frankie
01-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Don't be afraid of having it done at the Dental College. I've used the U of Iowa dental services a few times and have been very impressed. They will be cheaper than a regular dentist and do just as good a work, IMO. Plus, they'll most likely let you pay in smaller payments.

As for fear of needles, with today's advances they really minimize the pain. All you need to do is to tell yourself that the pain will be very short-lived and at worst far less than excruciating. Very bearable when you prepare yourself that way. Close your eyes and accept it for a few seconds.

Good luck.

Phobia
01-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Having a small prick in your mouth really isn't that bad considering the alternatives.

Frankie
01-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Having a small prick in your mouth really isn't that bad considering the alternatives.
How do YOU know Phob? :p

Mr. Flopnuts
01-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Dental pain is the most horrible, agonizing shit a person can go through. Dental college is kind of a luck of the draw type of thing. However remember this. No matter how bad it hurts to have the work done, it won't compare to going through days, weeks, months, or even years of pain ignoring it out of fear. I know first hand because I had no insurance and needed a wisdom tooth out. No dentist would touch me without payment up front. So I refused the community clinic because they only took kids and did adults in emergency situations. While I qualified I feared they would be underqualified to do the job. Needless to say after missing a week worth of work, contemplating suicide, and banging my head into a brick wall to try and shift pain elsewhere I finally went in. Funny thing is, they shot me with novacain and I didn't feel a thing. I hope you come through this sooner than later. Please let me know how it goes, I sympathize and empathize with this stuff. No one REALLY knows unless they've dealt with it.

Signed,

A guy who feels your pain.

patteeu
01-28-2006, 04:21 PM
My mother used to go to the Dental school at UMKC and never had any serious complaints about the place.

Hydrae
01-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Down here in Austin they are advertising quite often for wisdom tooth removal for FREE. Yes, free. This is because it is part of testing new pain medications. As to how good they are and all that, no idea.

Also we have Castle Dental down here that advertising being pretty cheap. Again, with insurance I have never had to check them out but I know they are nationwide.

KcMizzou
01-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Down here in Austin they are advertising quite often for wisdom tooth removal for FREE. Yes, free. This is because it is part of testing new pain medications. As to how good they are and all that, no idea.
Damn, I'd hesitate to try that.

Rain Man
01-28-2006, 05:36 PM
It sounds like you've received good advice already, chiefsfanatic. Like the others, I'll reiterate that dental schools often do the work you need for free or reduced rates. A potential entry point might be through the nearest public hospital, too.

Skip Towne
01-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Before you go the Dental school route, go to the barber college and get a haircut. See if you are happy with the results.

Hydrae
01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Damn, I'd hesitate to try that.

Yeah I would be afraid of getting the placebo.

Hydrae
01-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Before you go the Dental school route, go to the barber college and get a haircut. See if you are happy with the results.

You know that the barber is no longer the dentist, right? I mean that is why they have the red and white pole is from the days when the barber pulled teeth but most of us don't have the barber do that any more. Try joining us in the 21st century old man. :p

Phobia
01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Nice job, Kevin. Heh heh. Now tell him to shut up.

Extra Point
01-28-2006, 06:02 PM
IS IT SAFE?

Rain Man
01-28-2006, 06:27 PM
IS IT SAFE?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! I DON'T! I DON'T!

Extra Point
01-28-2006, 06:33 PM
HMMM......ARE YOU SURE?