PDA

View Full Version : Texans do best to woo Sherman

Wile_E_Coyote
01-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Former coach in Green Bay has spurned Bills, Jets
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman interviewed with new Texans coach Gary Kubiak on Friday for the job of offensive line coach and assistant head coach.

Sherman, who was fired by the Packers after the season despite a 57-39 record as their head coach, was on the same staff as Kubiak at Texas A&M in 1992-93.

Kubiak coached the running backs and Sherman the offensive line under R.C. Slocum, who endorsed Kubiak, owner Bob McNair and the Texans to Sherman this week.

Sherman led the Packers to four playoff appearances and three NFC North titles before finishing 4-12 in 2005. With two years remaining on his contract, he was replaced by former Saints and 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy.

Sherman, who coached under Slocum for two stints at Texas A&M, interviewed for head coaching jobs at Buffalo and New Orleans. The Bills hired Dick Jauron and the Saints Sean Payton.

Sherman also was pursued by teams that wanted to hire him as their offensive coordinator. He turned down the Bills and Jets. The Texans hope Kubiak can do what the Jets and Bills couldn't — convince Sherman to coach again rather than sit out the 2006 season.

Besides Sherman, Kubiak has put a priority on hiring a defensive coordinator. He wanted Arizona linebackers coach Frank Bush to run his defense, but the Cardinals denied the Texans permission to interview him.

Friday, his first official day at the office, Kubiak declined to discuss assistant coaching possibilities.

"All I can tell you is that I'm in the office working, and I might not leave for days," he said. "There's a lot of work to do. I'm trying to hire a staff, and I want to start looking at film."

Because he has so much to take care of, Kubiak will not be going to Detroit for Super Bowl XL.

Kubiak has put together about half his staff, although nothing has been announced and won't be before next week.

Troy Calhoun (offensive coordinator, quarterbacks), Kyle Shanahan (receivers), Brian Pariani (tight ends), David Diaz-Infante (assistant offensive line), Jon Hoke (defensive backs) and Joe Marciano (special teams) are expected to be part of his first staff.

-I find Sherman's situation interesting. Winning head football coach(though in a weak division) not getting a job, while unknowns are getting HC jobs left & right

Hoover
01-28-2006, 12:32 PM
If I were him I'd sit this year out, and be the guy to get next year. I would never want him to be my GM, but I think the guy can coach.

Bowser
01-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Sherman must have been sick of cold weather to hold out for the Texan's O-Line coach.

Reaper16
01-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Sherman must have been sick of cold weather to hold out for the Texan's O-Line coach.
It's like wanting to be a special education teacher.

teedubya
01-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Kyle Shanahan (receivers)

hahahahaha....

Frankie
01-28-2006, 03:09 PM
O-line coach? There was a a former HC who'd be willing to do OL work and we got the Rams' OL coach? Dammit Carl!

jAZ
01-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Besides Sherman, Kubiak has put a priority on hiring a defensive coordinator. He wanted Arizona linebackers coach Frank Bush to run his defense, but the Cardinals denied the Texans permission to interview him.
I didn't think this was possible.