PDA

View Full Version : Tim Allen Moments

Braincase
01-28-2006, 05:47 PM
C'mon guys... you've had that moment... it's the day after Thanksgiving and your in the hardware section of Sears eyeballing a vast array of shiney Craftsman tools and you feel your inner Tim "The Toolman" Taylor coming out...

Happened to me yesterday. Went to the Grizzly Showroom in Springfield, and I drove out of there with a nice granite reference table, a small buffing machine and one of these... (http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/G0570)

Oooh ooh oooh oooh oooh

Phobia
01-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Kick ass. I have an entire trailer full of Tim Taylor moments.

Braincase
01-28-2006, 05:51 PM

Yep, I'm proud. All thle other 14" bandsaws I was looking at only had 3/4 horsepower... but this one has a full 1 1/2 hp. And an 8" clearance for resaw... aaaargh!

<<<<<<<<<<<<More POWER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Phobia
01-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Yes, with all those elephant tusks you'll be honing into guitars, you need the extra horsepower.

Skip Towne
01-28-2006, 05:55 PM
You are a walking Tim Taylor moment. How can you have a car wreck and never leave the jobsite? Kinda like dropping an "I" beam on a Nomad. (That isn't really a Nomad they destroyed, just a two door 55 Chevy station wagon)

Braincase
01-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes, with all those elephant tusks you'll be honing into guitars, you need the extra horsepower.

Elephant my ass... I'm going full-bore MASTODON!

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/quekett/Reports/Bel-mastodon.jpg

jspchief
01-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey, what did you pay for the granite reference table, and how big was it?

Also, do ever go to Woodnet Forums (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=)? Pretty good woodworking forum that I used to hang out at.

Braincase
01-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey, what did you pay for the granite reference table, and how big was it?

Also, do ever go to Woodnet Forums (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=)? Pretty good woodworking forum that I used to hang out at.

The one I got is 18" x 24" , and it weighs 59 kg's. I also got the stand for it as well. The table was 50 and the stand was 50, but freakin' shipping on 'em is like $120.00, and the saw was 80 for shipping, so I came out ahead by going and getting it myself. Not a bad drive really.

Skip Towne
01-28-2006, 08:31 PM
The one I got is 18" x 24" , and it weighs 59 kg's. I also got the stand for it as well. The table was 50 and the stand was 50, but freakin' shipping on 'em is like $120.00, and the saw was 80 for shipping, so I came out ahead by going and getting it myself. Not a bad drive really.
How many Planeteers did you meet?

jspchief
01-28-2006, 08:39 PM
The one I got is 18" x 24" , and it weighs 59 kg's. I also got the stand for it as well. The table was 50 and the stand was 50, but freakin' shipping on 'em is like $120.00, and the saw was 80 for shipping, so I came out ahead by going and getting it myself. Not a bad drive really.How was the showroom? Did they have a lot of stuff? I'd like to get down there someday, but it'll have to wait until I have a lot of money to spend. They've got an 8" jointer that I have my eye on.

Mosbonian
01-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Not to hijack this thread but the best Tim Taylor moment that every guy experiences was from the episode "It Was The Best of Tims, It Was The Worst of Tims"....

It's where he comes back from a day at the truck rally to his wife who is in bed waiting for him in a sexy nightie....but Tim, after a day at the truck rally filled with Chili Cheese Dogs, Nachos & Jalapenos, and the Super Duper Root Beer, comes home with a bad case of indigestion and gas....he crawls into bed only to belch while trying to kiss Jill, then proceeds to fart so bad Jill has to leave the room......every guy has done this once in their life.

mmaddog

Braincase
01-29-2006, 07:01 AM
How was the showroom? Did they have a lot of stuff? I'd like to get down there someday, but it'll have to wait until I have a lot of money to spend. They've got an 8" jointer that I have my eye on.

Showroom was very clean, organized and well-stocked, with a side area for factory outlet stuff (blem's & refurb's). They keep one of everything out on the floor, with smaller items stocked (sandpaper, respirator cartridges).

You fill out your paperwork and then turn in an order sheet, then a stock person fills your order.

I'd call it a positive experience.

Rausch
01-29-2006, 07:06 AM
You are a walking Tim Taylor moment. How can you have a car wreck and never leave the jobsite? Kinda like dropping an "I" beam on a Nomad.

I know a guy who dropped a backhoe bucket on an illegal russian immigrant.

'Dat count?...