PDA

View Full Version : A Cinema buffs trivia thread:

Frankie
01-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Post any role that was made big by the actor who was NOT the original one it was written for. And name the originally intended actor too. For example:

Tom Selleck was originally tabbed to be Indiana Jones. But when he became unavailable they gave the role to Harrison Ford.

I thought of this topic when I was trying to remember who was originally supposed to be Rick Blaine in Casablanca before Humphrey Bogart made it memorable.

This should be interesting. Chip in Cinema buffs.

FAX
01-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Who is Chip, Mr. Frankie? And I never saw Cinima Buffs, either. I'm having trouble with this game already.

FAX THE HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS GAME ALREADY

Katipan
01-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Christopher Reeve & Sylvester Stallone turned down the role Michael Douglas took in Romancing the Stone.

I only remember that because I tried to imagine either of them doing the pot smoking scene in the airplane.

Deberg_1990
01-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Try to imagine Slyvester Stallone as Axel Foley. That role was originally intended for him.

Miles
01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Try to imagine Slyvester Stallone as Axel Foley. That role was originally intended for him.

Somehow I don't think the two sequels would have been made if Stallone had played the part.

tk13
01-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in the Back to the Future movies.

Deberg_1990
01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in the Back to the Future movies.

True, there is even bootleg footage of his two weeks of work floating around the internet somewhere. I found a site that had a couple of pics once.

Miles
01-29-2006, 06:30 PM
The director of Lawrence of Arabia originally wanted Albert Finney insted of Peter O'Toole.

tk13
01-29-2006, 06:34 PM
That would be pretty sweet to have.

They should've included it on the super-duper DVD version they released.
There are pictures of him as Marty on the DVD. Well at least one picture.. it's been a while since I've watched all those special features.

JBucc
01-29-2006, 06:34 PM
I think I heard somewhere that Will Smith was supposed to be in The Matrix. I don't know if it was as Neo but I assume so. Not sure if that's true or not though as I am only posing as a cinema buff.

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Al Pacino as Michael Corleone, originally intended for Robert Redford.

Speaking of Reeve, Patrick Wayne (John Wayne's son), Paul Newman, Redford, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Charles Bronson, and Kris Kristofferson (rumored, as well as Steve McQueen) were original thoughts on Superman -- none of them wanted the part because they didn't want to parade around on screen in a pair of tights.

Miles
01-29-2006, 06:36 PM
There are pictures of him as Marty on the DVD. Well at least one picture.. it's been a while since I've watched all those special features.

I found a few pics of it with google:

http://www.retourverslefutur.net/les_decors/stoltz9.jpg

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Stuart Townsend was originally going to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings:

http://www.videomax.ro/Images/Actors/458_a_normal.jpg

He was replaced by Viggo Mortensen of course.

01-29-2006, 06:39 PM
:eek:

Fire Me Boy!
Redford, Clint Eastwood and James Caan were all offered the Clark Kent/Superman role.

And I just found this! Marlon Brando reputedly suggested that his cameo role as Jor-El be done by him in voice over only, with the character's image onscreen being a glowing, levitating green bagel. Unsure if Brando was joking or not, the film's producers formally rejected the suggestion.

tk13
It's not a movie, but I know Fred Dryer was almost cast as Sam Malone in Cheers. He lost the role to Ted Danson.

Bowser
01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Stuart Townsend was originally going to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings:

http://www.videomax.ro/Images/Actors/458_a_normal.jpg

He was replaced by Viggo Mortensen of course.

Boy did he **** up.

I guess he thought it couldn't get any better than playing a rockin' Lestat.

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Warren Beatty, Burt Reynolds, and Jon Voigt all passed on Superman, too.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Boy did he **** up.

I guess he thought it couldn't get any better than playing a rockin' Lestat.

I for one am glad they made the change. Stuart is way too young for the role.

Deberg_1990
01-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I found a few pics of it with google:

http://www.retourverslefutur.net/les_decors/stoltz9.jpg

Yep, there are a whole bunch of pics located here....Interesting:

http://www.bttf.com/cgi-bin/ImageFolio3/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Eric_Stoltz_as_Marty_McFly&img=0

Bowser
01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
I for one am glad they made the change. Stuart is way too young for the role.

Viggo Mortensen was born for that role.

01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
It's not a movie, but I know Fred Dryer was almost cast as Sam Malone in Cheers. He lost the role to Ted Danson.

That was because the creators originally planned on Sam Malone being a former football player. When Ted auditioned, they loved him so much that they changed the role to a former baseball player since Ted obviously was not built to be a football player.

JBucc
01-29-2006, 06:43 PM
Viggo Mortensen was born for that role.
Yeah it's hard to imagine anyone else in that role that would have been as good. I want to see A History of Violence too.

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Fire me Boy really likes Superman.
I do, but after I posted the original post I went over to IMDB to look at their trivia page on it -- learned some new stuff. And the Marlon Brando thing cracked my ass up.

And in case you didn't read my last post on the Brown Bunny thread. What a stupid ****ing movie.

Miles
01-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Redford, Clint Eastwood and James Caan were all offered the Clark Kent/Superman role.

And I just found this! Marlon Brando reputedly suggested that his cameo role as Jor-El be done by him in voice over only, with the character's image onscreen being a glowing, levitating green bagel. Unsure if Brando was joking or not, the film's producers formally rejected the suggestion.

ROFL

FAX
01-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Marlon Brando reputedly suggested that his cameo role as Jor-El be done by him in voice over only, with the character's image onscreen being a glowing, levitating green bagel.

Marlin Brando is a genius. This would have been great.

FAX

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:46 PM
This guy (Toshiro Mifune) could have been Obi-Wan Kenobi instead of Alec Guiness:

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.sprout.org/toshiro/images/pics/Samurai2_4.jpeg

JBucc
01-29-2006, 06:47 PM
This guy (Toshiro Mifune) could have been Obi-Wan Kenobi instead of Alec Guiness:

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.sprout.org/toshiro/images/pics/Samurai2_4.jpeg
Does he speak English? That would have ****ed up the whole thing. I wonder who'd have played him in the recent three if they had that guy originally...

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2006, 06:47 PM

And it would have been ****ing brilliant, too! Don't get me wrong, Alec Guiness is great, too, but Toshiro Mifune is a god.

Bowser
01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
You should know this one, gochiefs.....

Who were the original actors slated to be Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, respectively? (I don't know the answer. I just remember hearing about it a long time ago.)

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
And it would have been ****ing brilliant, too! Don't get me wrong, Alec Guiness is great, too, but Toshiro Mifune is a god.

Ruke! Stletch out with youl feerings! Ret go, Ruke!

FAX
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Okay, I still don't know who Chip is, but I see how the game works.

Jack Benny turned down the role of Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey because he thought the story made fun of people who believed in invisible bunnies.

FAX

Hammock Parties

Who were the original actors slated to be Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, respectively? (I don't know the answer. I just remember hearing about it a long time ago.)

I have my Empire Building book out right now. I'm pretty sure there were no "original actors," but there were other people considered for the roles.

Miles
Does he speak English? That would have ****ed up the whole thing. I wonder who'd have played him in the recent three if they had that guy originally...

I think only phonetically but im not positive. Toshiro Mifune was a complete badass though.

Kurt Russell was considered for Han.

01-29-2006, 06:51 PM

Jet Li

Bowser
I have my Empire Building book out right now. I'm pretty sure there were no "original actors," but there were other people considered for the roles.

I would have sworn Lucas had someone other than Ford and Hamill in mind for their roles, originally. I thought I saw it on some show called "When Star Wars Ruled the World", or something.

Oh well. I could be mistaken.

Fire Me Boy!
Ruke! Stletch out with youl feerings! Ret go, Ruke!
%(/ BAD GOPAINT! %(/

tk13
01-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I would have sworn Lucas had someone other than Ford and Hamill in mind for their roles, originally. I thought I saw it on some show called "When Star Wars Ruled the World", or something.

Jack Lemmon as Chewbacca. Okay not really, but that's a great SNL skit.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
OK this is interesting.

The alternate "Luke, Leia, Han" trio was comprised of:

Terri Nunn
Christopher Walken
Will Selzer (who?)

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm gonna take a dump in this thing is what I'm gonna do! ROFL

Bowser
01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
OK this is interesting.

Terri Nunn
Christopher Walken
Will Selzer (who?)

Walken as Han Solo? Genius.

01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Christopher Walken would've made a great Leia.

They were also considering Cindy 'Shirley' Williams for Leia.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Glynn Turman was considered for the Han Solo role:

http://images.zap2it.com/20050406/saharaprphotos/008_glynnturman_saharapr.jpg

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
They were also considering Cindy 'Shirley' Williams for Leia.

According to the book, someone twisted Lucas' arm.

She was rejected with the line "We want a YOUNG Cindy Williams."

Richard Dreyfuss browbeat Lucas into testing him for the role of Solo.

Sully
01-29-2006, 06:59 PM
There was really no chance for this thread NOT to be about Star Wars, huh?

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Jodie Foster was considered but rejected because of her age. She was only 13.

01-29-2006, 07:02 PM
According to the book, someone twisted Lucas' arm.

She was rejected with the line "We want a YOUNG Cindy Williams."

Richard Dreyfuss browbeat Lucas into testing him for the role of Solo.

Dreyfuss? Thank God that didn't happen.

Reaper16
01-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Kevin Costner and Warren Beatey were both offered the role of Bill in Kill Bill. Beatey suggested David Carradine.

tk13
01-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Jodie Foster was considered but rejected because of her age. She was only 13.
Would've made the whole Jabba the Hut bikini prisoner scene a lot more awkward.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 07:06 PM
Kevin Costner and Warren Beatey were both offered the role of Bill in Kill Bill. Beatey suggested David Carradine.

Oh my god. We lucked out. None of those guys can make sandwiches like David Carradine can.

Reaper16
01-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Oh my god. We lucked out. None of those guys can make sandwiches like David Carradine can.
ROFL

Tribal Warfare
01-29-2006, 07:19 PM
John Belucshi was orignally slated to play Venkemen in Ghostbusters.

Russell Crowe was also offered the role of Aragon in LOTR

John Travolta was orignially slated to play Richard Geres part in Officer And A Gentlemen.

Anthony Hopkins signed on as Jor-El for Superman Returns until Brian Singer decided to use Brando's unused footage in Superman.

VonneMarie
01-29-2006, 07:20 PM
Gwenyth Paltrow was originally offered the female lead in Titanic, but she turned it down and we all know how that turned out.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 07:20 PM

Bullshit.

Infidel Goat
01-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Would've made the whole Jabba the Hut bikini prisoner scene a lot more awkward.

Not really. JF would have been 19 or so by the third movie, I think.

And maybe Hinkley would have opted for a light saber . . .

--Infidel Goat

Tribal Warfare
01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Bullshit.

it's true, he said on Leno he thought it was a shitty script

Reaper16
01-29-2006, 07:26 PM
it's true, he said on Leno he thought it was a shitty script
That's so Russell Crow-esque of him.

Psyko Tek
01-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I thought of this topic when I was trying to remember who was originally supposed to be Rick Blaine in Casablanca before Humphrey Bogart made it memorable.

I think it was Ronald Reagan
thank god he only ****'d up the country and not a great movie

Adept Havelock
01-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Stephen King wanted Robert Duvall as Randall Flagg for his miniseries of The Stand.

Sadly, Duvall cost a lot more than Jamey Sheridan.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Yeah I've heard that. I think though that a lot of rewriting was probably done for Eddie Murphy.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Somehow I don't think the two sequels would have been made if Stallone had played the part.
No. Not two. Maybe six. Stallone would have made it dry, ala Rocky.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Eric Stoltz was originally cast as Marty McFly in the Back to the Future movies.I always thought Stoltz and Fox looked very similar.

Brock
01-29-2006, 07:48 PM
John Belucshi was orignally slated to play Venkemen in Ghostbusters.

John Travolta was orignially slated to play Richard Geres part in Officer And A Gentlemen.

Anthony Hopkins signed on as Jor-El for Superman Returns until Brian Singer decided to use Brando's unused footage in Superman.

The only other actor considered for Aragorn was Stuart Townsend.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 07:52 PM

Why not. That would have been real cool.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Why not. That would have been real cool.

Alec Guinness > All.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Jet Li, I bet.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Okay, I still don't know who Chip is, but I see how the game works.

Jack Benny turned down the role of Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey because he thought the story made fun of people who believed in invisible bunnies.

FAX
Didn't James Stewart do that role? Wow, now I can see Benny in that role for sure.

Adept Havelock
01-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Alec Guinness > All.

Agreed. Ever seen him in Murder by Death as the blind butler, Jamessir Bensonmum?

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:00 PM

I've seen it too. I don't remember it either. Very interested to know.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Who is Chip, Mr. Frankie? And I never saw Cinima Buffs, either.No, but I bet you've watched Cinema in the buff.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:04 PM
OK this is interesting.

Terri Nunn
Christopher Walken
Will Selzer (who?)By the order you've shown Christopher Walken would be Leia. And I would have been marked for life.

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Agreed. Ever seen him in Murder by Death as the blind butler, Jamessir Bensonmum?

I've only seen him in four movies.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Carradine should have had at least an Oscar nomination for that role, and that scene.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:11 PM

I think it was Ronald Reagan
thank god he only ****'d up the country and not a great movie
ROFL ROFL
You know I think that was it. Reagan as Rick.

Adept Havelock
01-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I've only seen him in four movies.

For your sake, I hope one of those was Bridge on the River Kwai.:thumb:

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Alec Guinness > All.I love Alec Guinness. But I think Mifune would have instantly injected more mystisism into the role.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:33 PM
That's immediatel what I visualize when I think of Guiness. He was brilliant in MBD.

Miles
01-29-2006, 08:36 PM
ROFL ROFL
You know I think that was it. Reagan as Rick.

Found this on IMDB

Studio publicity in 1941 claimed that Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan were scheduled to appear in this film, and Dennis Morgan is mentioned as the third lead. This was never the case, however, and the false story was planted, either by a studio publicist or a press agent for the three other actors, to keep their names in the press. Meanwhile George Raft was angling for the part with Jack L. Warner, but Hal B. Wallis had been assigned to search for what would be Humphrey Bogart's next starring role. He wrote to Warner that he had found the next movie for Bogart and the role was perfect for him. Nobody else was ever considered for the part.

Reaper16
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
I love Alec Guinness. But I think Mifune would have instantly injected more mystisism into the role.
And Ken Watanabe could have been in the prequels!

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I love Alec Guinness. But I think Mifune would have instantly injected more mystisism into the role.

No way.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Found this on IMDB
Thank you very much! :rolleyes: You just shot a great piece of trivia down to hell. Partypooper.

Adept Havelock
01-29-2006, 08:48 PM
That's immediatel what I visualize when I think of Guiness. He was brilliant in MBD.

Yes. Seeing Alec doing comedy was fantastic. Especially the closing scene. ROFL

How did Peter Falk get cast? Did Simon ask for the actor who chewed on the scenery the most when he was doing Bogie? He and Brennan were great together.

Frankie
01-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Yes. Seeing Alec doing comedy was fantastic. Especially the closing scene. ROFL

How did Peter Falk get cast? Did Simon ask for the actor who chewed on the scenery the most when he was doing Bogie? He and Brennan were great together.
That whole flick was a blast. Peter Sellers was classic.

Deberg_1990
01-29-2006, 09:38 PM
The Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) role in Ghostbusters was written for John Belushi.

ChiefsFanatic
01-29-2006, 10:09 PM
That was because the creators originally planned on Sam Malone being a former football player. When Ted auditioned, they loved him so much that they changed the role to a former baseball player since Ted obviously was not built to be a football player.

Yet, when they appeared on the show together, they looked to have extremely similar builds.

KCChiefsMan
01-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Pierce Brosnan was supposed to do the James Bond film that Timolthy Dalton did, but Brosnan was under contract with Remington Steele so he couldn't do it, but obviously after that contract expired he did the next Bond

Demonpenz
01-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I think kate hudson would have been a good mary jane in spiderman. Better than that other girl who looks like she has had a stroke

KCChiefsMan
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Charlie Sheen turned down the role in Indecent Proposal, Burt Reynolds turned down Terms of Endearment that went to Jack Nicholson.

I heard a rumor that Tom Cruise refused to do Goodfellas because the character used drugs, the role then went to Ray Liotta (not sure how true that is)

Fire Me Boy!
01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Pierce Brosnan was supposed to do the James Bond film that Timolthy Dalton did, but Brosnan was under contract with Remington Steele so he couldn't do it, but obviously after that contract expired he did the next Bond
And oddly, Dalton was the guy they wanted to replace Connery. His agent told him it would be a bad idea to not only follow Connery, but it would pigeonhole him into that type of role. So he refused and the studio went with George Lazenby.

Dartgod
01-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Steven Spielberg wanted Sterling Hayden for the role of Quint. Hayden, however, was in trouble with the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid tax. All Hayden's income from acting was subject to a levy by the IRS, so there was an attempt to circumvent that: Hayden was also a writer, so one idea was to pay him union scale for his acting, and buy a story from him (his literary income wasn't subject to levy) for a large sum. It was concluded that the IRS would see through this scheme, so Robert Shaw was cast instead.

Tribal Warfare
01-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Jack Nicholson turned down the role of Micheal Corleone

Hammock Parties
01-29-2006, 11:57 PM
And oddly, Dalton was the guy they wanted to replace Connery. His agent told him it would be a bad idea to not only follow Connery, but it would pigeonhole him into that type of role. So he refused and the studio went with George Lazenby.

I saw The Living Daylights the other day. I really liked Dalton as Bond.

B2chiefsfan
01-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Steven Spielberg wanted Sterling Hayden for the role of Quint. Hayden, however, was in trouble with the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid tax. All Hayden's income from acting was subject to a levy by the IRS, so there was an attempt to circumvent that: Hayden was also a writer, so one idea was to pay him union scale for his acting, and buy a story from him (his literary income wasn't subject to levy) for a large sum. It was concluded that the IRS would see through this scheme, so Robert Shaw was cast instead.

Dartgod.......OMFG.......LOL...........that's the funniest Avatar...........LMAO............ROFL........(crying)............

I'M BATMAN!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar126_8.gif

Demonpenz
01-30-2006, 12:08 AM
wasn't james earl jones supposed to play pistol pete in the pete marivich story

B2chiefsfan
01-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Clint Eastwoods role in "A Fist full of Dollars" was originally offered to Henry Fond and Charles Bronson.

Barrymore50
01-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Not QUITE on topic, but close. There's been a lot of casting and re-casting in movies, lately. Here are some that I can think of:
OCEAN'S 11: Bruce Willis or Michael Douglas was going to play the role that Andy Garcia plays. The Wilson Brothers (Owen and Luke) were going to play the parts that Scott Caan and Casey Affleck play.
BEWITCHED: Jim Carrey was going to be Will Ferrell's part.
PHONE BOOTH: Jim Carrey and Will Smith were both going to play the part that Colin Farrell played. Also, the villain was played by someone completely different (Malkovich?) in the original cut, and after test screenings, Kiefer Sutherland was subbed in and scenes were re-filmed and re-dubbed.
THE CABLE GUY: Was written for Chris Farley, but Jim Carrey was subbed in, not sure if it was before or after Farley's death.
SHREK: Chris Farley was the original voice of Shrek, and Mike Myers for sure was subbed in when Farley died.
FUN WITH DICK AND JANE: Nicole Kidman or somebody was going to play Tea Leoni's part.
MR. AND MRS. SMITH: Nicole Kidman was originally Mrs. Smith, and Angelina came in at the last minute (hmmm.)
SPIDER-MAN 2: If you believe the hype, Tobey Maguire was close to being replaced by Jake Gyllenhaal.
I am either remembering some of these wrong, or Nicole Kidman is very bad about committing to projects.

01-30-2006, 05:56 AM
Not QUITE on topic, but close. There's been a lot of casting and re-casting in movies, lately. Here are some that I can think of:
OCEAN'S 11: Bruce Willis or Michael Douglas was going to play the role that Andy Garcia plays. The Wilson Brothers (Owen and Luke) were going to play the parts that Scott Caan and Casey Affleck play.
BEWITCHED: Jim Carrey was going to be Will Ferrell's part.
PHONE BOOTH: Jim Carrey and Will Smith were both going to play the part that Colin Farrell played. Also, the villain was played by someone completely different (Malkovich?) in the original cut, and after test screenings, Kiefer Sutherland was subbed in and scenes were re-filmed and re-dubbed.
THE CABLE GUY: Was written for Chris Farley, but Jim Carrey was subbed in, not sure if it was before or after Farley's death.
SHREK: Chris Farley was the original voice of Shrek, and Mike Myers for sure was subbed in when Farley died.
FUN WITH DICK AND JANE: Nicole Kidman or somebody was going to play Tea Leoni's part.
MR. AND MRS. SMITH: Nicole Kidman was originally Mrs. Smith, and Angelina came in at the last minute (hmmm.)
SPIDER-MAN 2: If you believe the hype, Tobey Maguire was close to being replaced by Jake Gyllenhaal.
I am either remembering some of these wrong, or Nicole Kidman is very bad about committing to projects.

I just cannot see Nicole Kidman in the Mrs. Smith part.

Baby Lee
01-30-2006, 07:30 AM
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. But Lucas and DePalma shared audition space when Lucas was casting Star Wars and DePalma was casting Carrie. Carrie Fisher auditioned for the part of Carrie, and Sissy Spacek auditioned for the part of Leia. The two switched parts and the rest is history.
Also, William [believe it or not, I'm walkin' on air] Katt and Amy Irving Auditioned for Luke and Leia, respectively, then got parts in Carrie. Also, Melanie Griffith auditioned for the part of Carrie.

Dartgod
01-30-2006, 07:35 AM
Gone With the Wind

Gary Cooper was offered the role of Rhett Butler but turned it down. He is quoted saying both, "Gone With The Wind is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history," and, "I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper."

Chiefs Express
01-30-2006, 07:40 AM
wasn't james earl jones supposed to play pistol pete in the pete marivich story

What are you smoking today? Can I have some?

Tribal Warfare
01-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Orsen Wells was also up for the voice over part of Darth Vader

Chiefs Express
01-30-2006, 07:42 AM
I was originally cast as the lead in Big Jake, but some no-name came in and took it from me because he was taller. I forget his name.

Dartgod
01-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Animal House

Director John Landis has stated that his original choices for the roles of Boon and Otter were Bill Murray and Chevy Chase. The role of D-Day was written for Dan Aykroyd. None of them could be signed on for the movie because of scheduling conflicts.

Frankie
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
The Peter Venkman (Bill Murray) role in Ghostbusters was written for John Belushi.
Yeah and Belushi died before they started filming.

Frankie
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Steven Spielberg wanted Sterling Hayden for the role of Quint. Hayden, however, was in trouble with the Internal Revenue Service for unpaid tax. All Hayden's income from acting was subject to a levy by the IRS, so there was an attempt to circumvent that: Hayden was also a writer, so one idea was to pay him union scale for his acting, and buy a story from him (his literary income wasn't subject to levy) for a large sum. It was concluded that the IRS would see through this scheme, so Robert Shaw was cast instead.Shaw was perfect for that role.

Frankie
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Jack Nicholson turned down the role of Micheal CorleoneReally? Thank god. I just can't see Nicholson as Michael. Even the young Nicholson of those days.

BTW, speaking of the Godfather, Burt Reynolds was originaly tabbed to play Sonny Corleone. But apparently Brando vetoed that.

Frankie
01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I saw The Living Daylights the other day. I really liked Dalton as Bond.
Me 2

Frankie
01-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Clint Eastwoods role in "A Fist full of Dollars" was originally offered to Henry Fond and Charles Bronson.
I was hoping somebody would post that. I had heard that too, but didn't remember if it was Fonda or Bronson. It turns out they were both opffered the role. Funny enough, Sergio Leone paired those two in another spaghetti western a few years later.

Frankie
01-30-2006, 12:57 PM
BEWITCHED: Jim Carrey was going to be Will Ferrell's part.Wow! When I first heard they were going to film Bewitched with Kidman, I immediately thoughtof Carrey as the perfect Darin. Of course I was thinking they'd keep with the original show format. Carrey looks like the perfect morphing of the two Darins. Just for that alone, they should apologize for the movie they made and make one about the show's characters with carrey in it. They should recast Shirley McLaine as Endora though.

Frankie
01-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Gone With the Wind

Gary Cooper was offered the role of Rhett Butler but turned it down. He is quoted saying both, "Gone With The Wind is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history," and, "I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face and not Gary Cooper."
ROFL ROFL

On a similar note, Richard Burton thumbed his nose at the Captain Von Trapp role in The Sound Of Music. I remember him on Carson (I think) lamenting that it was one of his biggest career mistakes. Oddly enough, Christopher Plummer who ended up playing Von Trapp has always hated it refering to the whole movie as "Sound of Mucus."

Frankie
01-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I was originally cast as the lead in Big Jake, but some no-name came in and took it from me because he was taller. I forget his name.
Yeah, whatever happened to that Duke guy? :hmmm:

Swanman
01-30-2006, 01:28 PM

I read the Maguire was so banged up after filming Seabiscuit that there was question as to whether he'd be physically ready in time to shoot the film.

Chiefs Express
01-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah, whatever happened to that Duke guy? :hmmm:

I'm not sure, I think he sunk into obscurity.

B2chiefsfan
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I was hoping somebody would post that. I had heard that too, but didn't remember if it was Fonda or Bronson. It turns out they were both opffered the role. Funny enough, Sergio Leone paired those two in another spaghetti western a few years later.Once Upon a Time in the West

One of the best westerns ever made.....:thumb:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/2005/100movies/images/once_upon_time_in_the_west.jpg

Frankie
01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Once Upon a Time in the West

One of the best westerns ever made.....:thumb:

http://img.timeinc.net/time/2005/100movies/images/once_upon_time_in_the_west.jpg
Yep, thaqt's it. And I agree with it being a great western. Though I wish they would take those early spaghetti westerns and redub the Italian actors to more natural sounding dialogue. I do get put off a bit by some of the cheap quality dubbing.

Dartgod
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Pulp Fiction

The role of Vincent Vega was written for Michael Madsen, who played the characters brother, Vic Vega, in Reservoir Dogs, but he couldn't do the film due to scheduling conflicts for another film.

Chiefs Express
01-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Pulp Fiction

The role of Vincent Vega was written for Michael Madsen, who played the characters brother, Vic Vega, in Reservoir Dogs, but he couldn't do the film due to scheduling conflicts for another film.

:thumb:

too bad you took out the double pump. that was going to get:

:thumb:-Squared.

B2chiefsfan
01-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Michelle Pfeiffer was offered and turned down the role of Clarice Starling in “Silence of the Lambs”. An eager Jodie Foster not only played Clarice in the movie but also picked up the 1991 Best Actress Oscar for the role. Jodie, however, opted not to reprise the role for the film, “Hannibal”. The part went to Julianne Moore.

B2chiefsfan
01-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Both Kate Winslet and Julia Roberts turned down the role of Viola De Lesseps in the 1998 Oscar winning film, “Shakespeare in Love”. This movie, about a young William Shakespeare (Joseph Fiennes), not only won the Best Picture prize, but Gwyneth Paltrow, who played Viola, also won a Best Actress statuette.

Barrymore50
01-30-2006, 03:26 PM
About SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, I once read that Gwyneth Paltrow actually stole the script off of Winona's Ryder's coffee table and immediately went after the part. Not sure if it's true, but the two were friends at the time.
Thought of another one: Originally, Adam Sandler was talked about to play the part of the cabbie in COLLATERAL. Jamie Foxx later got the part and one awards and got to hang out with Katie Holmes's awesomely incredible boyfriend.
GODFATHER 3: Winona Ryder dropped out at the last possible minute and Sofia Coppola infamously was subbed in.
THE VILLAGE: Kirsten Dunst dropped out and Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron's daughter) got the part.

B2chiefsfan
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
About SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, I once read that Gwyneth Paltrow actually stole the script off of Winona's Ryder's coffee table and immediately went after the part. Not sure if it's true, but the two were friends at the time.
Thought of another one: Originally, Adam Sandler was talked about to play the part of the cabbie in COLLATERAL. Jamie Foxx later got the part and one awards and got to hang out with Katie Holmes's awesomely incredible boyfriend.
GODFATHER 3: Winona Ryder dropped out at the last possible minute and Sofia Coppola infamously was subbed in.
THE VILLAGE: Kirsten Dunst dropped out and Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron's daughter) got the part.

Sofia Coppola killed that role!!! The kissing cousin thing still creeps me out..........:shake:

DJJasonp
01-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Bill Murray was considered before Tom Hanks for the role of Forrest Gump.

David Alan Grier was considered for Bubba Gump

Terry Gilliam turned down the opportunity to direct it. (would have been much darker....interesting to consider what might have been with Gilliam....)

Frankie
01-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Sofia Coppola killed that role!!! The
kissing cousin thing still creeps me out..........:shake:
The Sofia Coppola casting and the lack of casting Robert Duvall were the two worst decisions about that movie. Duvall, especially would have pushed up that movie to almost the level of the two previos GFs. I heard they didn't want to give in to RD's demands, so they rewrote and substantially reduced the part of the concilieri (sp) and inserted George Hamilton into it (who was practically invisible). I keep wanting to visualize Robert Duvall as an older Tom Hagen in that movie. What a missed opportunity? :shake:

banyon
01-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Great film- The Bicycle Thief. Originally, the producers wanted Cary Grant to play the role of the unemployed father. Instead, miraculously, De Sica cast non-actor real-life factory worker Lamberto Maggoriani.

http://simr02.si.ehu.es/FileRoom/images/image70.gif

ChiefsCountry
01-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Not a movie, but the hit tv show from the 80's, Dallas, the role of JR Ewing was first offered to Robert Foxworth. He declined and they turned to Larry Hagman.

Bald but Beautiful
01-30-2006, 07:05 PM
This will be the most oddball of them all. We all know that Mel Brooks is absolutely nuts in the best way, and this will continue that legacy. The first one is pretty common knowledge, that the role of the black sheriff was supposed to go to Richard Pryor, but with his legendary drug habit/rep, the role instead went to of course Cleavon Little. Of course Rich helped with the writing which is some seriously funny shit that him and Brooks came up with. For the role of Cisco Kid, Mel Brooks originally offered that to none other than John Wayne!! Of course, the Duke turned it down, but can you all imagine, having Richard Pryor and John Wayne playing the leads in that flick??? I know, Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder were great, but just imagine...

Frankie
01-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Wow, the duke in a Mel Brooks movie. I'm not too sure I would have liked it. But Richard Pryor was tailor-made for the CL role. Too bad.

Deberg_1990
01-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Chalize Theron was considered for the lead in "Showgirls" before Elizabeth Berkely snagged it.

Hammock Parties
01-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Chalize Theron was considered for the lead in "Showgirls" before Elizabeth Berkely snagged it.

That's a damn shame.

txd60060
10-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I was watching Universal Soldier... made me remember.

Not a role, but trivia... Dolph Lundgren was an MIT Rhodes Scholar, speaks five languages, and has a master's degree (from MIT) in chemical engineering.

It's said he has an IQ of 160.

:Scanlon:

EDIT: And I had to look up "green bagel" to find this thread.