PDA

View Full Version : Lions hire Henderson as defensive coordinator

huskerdooz
01-29-2006, 08:54 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9195402

Didn't see it posted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lions hire Henderson as defensive coordinator
Jan. 29, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions on Sunday announced that Donnie Henderson is the team's new defensive coordinator.

Henderson comes to the Lions after two seasons as the New York Jets' defensive coordinator. He parted ways with the team after Eric Mangini was hired as head coach Jan. 17.

Henderson oversaw a vast improvement in the Jets' defense as the team made the playoffs in his first year there. In 2005, the defense played well at times but could not carry an anemic offense. Injuries also plagued the team as the Jets finished 4-12.

Before joining the Jets, Henderson spent five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, first as assistant defensive backs coach and then as defensive backs coach.

Lions coach Rod Marinelli also announced Sunday that Chuck Priefer will return next season as special teams coordinator. The Lions also said Phil Snow will be the new linebackers coach -- he was a defensive assistant for the Lions last season.

Defensive assistant Don Clemons, assistant special teams coach Stan Kwan and coaching assistant Adam Gase also will be retained.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1995 - 2006 SportsLine.com, Inc. All rights reserved. SportsLine is a registered service mark of SportsLine.com, Inc.
CBS "eye device" is a registered trademark of CBS Broadcasting, Inc.

Dunit35
01-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Oh well. Surprised the Raiders didn't try to interview him for HC.

shaneo69
01-29-2006, 09:11 PM
If Marinelli gets Martz to be his OC, they might have something going in Motown next year.

I guess that Priefer guy they mentioned in that article is the brother of our new ST coach.

shaneo69
01-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Did Herm retain Vernon Dean?

booger
01-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Did Herm retain Vernon Dean?
no

Although I guess Dean was a DB at SDSU a few years after Edwards was there and they might have had some familiarity.

booger
01-29-2006, 10:00 PM
If Marinelli gets Martz to be his OC, they might have something going in Motown next year.

I guess that Priefer guy they mentioned in that article is the brother of our new ST coach.
Mike Priefer our new ST coach is the son of Chuck Priefer the Lions St Coach.

Sybil
01-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I think he would have been a good addition; but DC was taken...