PDA

View Full Version : Favre leaning toward retirement?

BigChiefFan
01-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Packers' Favre is contemplating retirement

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Jan. 30, 2006) -- Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre says he has not yet made a decision on whether to play next season, but would lean toward retirement if he had to decide right now.

"I wish I knew," he said in an interview that aired Sunday on ESPN. "I still know I can play. I still love to play. But there's just so much more to it than that now. I never thought it would be complicated, never thought I would give out mentally before I did physically.

"If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."

The 36-year-old Favre threw a career-high 29 interceptions this season and failed to throw for more than 20 touchdowns for only the second time since 1993 as the Packers finished 4-12 for their first losing season since he joined the team in 1992.

"There's days I wake up and say, 'You know what? I can't retire. Don't be stupid. What will I do?'" Favre said. "There's other days, I go, 'What if it's crunch time, two minutes left, do you want the ball?' I don't know if I do.

"If I was to come back and play, I would hope that I would be totally committed to the team, because I've always been that type of player."

Favre said the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the NFL draft and other offseason personnel decisions. He said he feels fine and that "my arm is as good today as it was 10 years ago."

"I'd like to wait 'til training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

Favre met last week with Packers general manager Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy and said he was honest about his mixed feelings.

"I love the team, I love the Packers, and it's not about me, it's about everyone involved and I want to make the right decision for everyone involved," he said.

Favre said he told Thompson if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

"When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," Favre said.

Thompson told The Associated Press that Favre's comments don't sound dramatically different from what he said when they met last week.

"That's a decision Brett has to make with his family," Thompson said. "They'll get it worked out."

Bowser
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm betting he's done. New coach, new system....

Wile_E_Coyote
01-30-2006, 02:18 PM
go away now & maybe all those INTs will slip people's minds

FAX
01-30-2006, 02:20 PM
How does Farve rank in all time QBs?

I know he has a Super Bowl belt. But, after the last few seasons, I'm beginning to wonder what all the Farve Fuss is about.

FAX

BigChiefFan
01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Great player, who played with alot of heart. Favre has been good for football, but I think it's time for him to hang 'em up.

sedated
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, brett.

"I'll always love you, mary."

Red Dawg
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
John Madden will talk him out of it.

ROYC75
01-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey Brett, here is a hint, " it will only get worse before it gets better ".

KCTitus
01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Farve is a jackass for keeping the Packers in the air like this. I think the Packers should just move on and plan like he's not going to be there.

Bob Dole
01-30-2006, 03:04 PM
How does Farve rank in all time QBs?

I know he has a Super Bowl belt.

You're thinking of Clitoris Portis and the Rushing Belt.

Eleazar
01-30-2006, 03:08 PM
I hope he retires, if for no other reason than we'll finally get to stop hearing about him.

el borracho
01-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Well, they should get Walker back from injury, yes? That might help but, really, the Packers are probably going to be terrible for a while. I'm not sure I would come back for that. Of course, I'm not a HOF quarterback so who knows. In the plus column the Pack does play in the supersoft NFC so there is a realistic chance they could make the playoffs next year.

FAX
01-30-2006, 03:12 PM
You're thinking of Clitoris Portis and the Rushing Belt.

Ah ... Mr. Bob Dole, we have a communication problem. Since I don't know AOLingo, nor do I speak in letters, I am making up my own lexicon. Belt in FAXese means ring.

According to espn.com ... I don't know how current this is ...

Throwing things. (Passing Yards)

1 Dan Marino 61,361
2 Brett Favre 53,471

Throwing things to Somebody Else. (Completion Yards)

1 Dan Marino 4,967
2 Brett Favre 4,657

Throwing things for Points. (Passing TDs)

1 Dan Marino 420
2 Brett Favre 395

FAX

Cormac
01-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Ah ... Mr. Bob Dole, we have a communication problem. Since I don't know AOLingo, nor do I speak in letters, I am making up my own lexicon. Belt in FAXese means ring.

1 Dan Marino 61,361
2 Brett Favre 53,471

1 Dan Marino 4,967
2 Brett Favre 4,657

1 Dan Marino 420
2 Brett Favre 395

FAX

I noticed that "Throwing things to people wearing a different colour" is conspicuously absent.

Favre should retire. He's a great player, loaded with charisma. But he's always been high risk, and he has embarassed himself in games many times. The team is in the tank, and if he doesn't want another season with 25+ INTs he'll retire this year. JMO.

FAX
01-30-2006, 03:25 PM
I noticed that "Throwing things to people wearing a different colour" is conspicuously absent.

Yes, Mr. Cormac. That's one I was originally looking for. But, that stat wasn't available on the list I saw. I think that Farve would have big numbers in that category.

FAX

Nzoner
01-30-2006, 03:26 PM

Favre should retire. He's a great player, loaded with charisma. But he's always been high risk, and he has embarassed himself in games many times. The team is in the tank, and if he doesn't want another season with 25+ INTs he'll retire this year. JMO.

Not to mention giving up a free sack so Strahan could get the sack record,I lost alot of respect for Favre after that.

RockChalk
01-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Ints-career from NFL.com

277 George Blanda
268 John Hadl
266 Fran Tarkenton

255 Brett Favre

Most in a season for Favre was this past year, 29

42 in a season is the record by George Blanda

Calcountry
01-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Packers' Favre is contemplating retirement

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Jan. 30, 2006) -- Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre says he has not yet made a decision on whether to play next season, but would lean toward retirement if he had to decide right now.

"I wish I knew," he said in an interview that aired Sunday on ESPN. "I still know I can play. I still love to play. But there's just so much more to it than that now. I never thought it would be complicated, never thought I would give out mentally before I did physically.

"If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I would say I'm not coming back."

The 36-year-old Favre threw a career-high 29 interceptions this season and failed to throw for more than 20 touchdowns for only the second time since 1993 as the Packers finished 4-12 for their first losing season since he joined the team in 1992.

"There's days I wake up and say, 'You know what? I can't retire. Don't be stupid. What will I do?'" Favre said. "There's other days, I go, 'What if it's crunch time, two minutes left, do you want the ball?' I don't know if I do.

"If I was to come back and play, I would hope that I would be totally committed to the team, because I've always been that type of player."

Favre said the Packers need to know soon to properly prepare for the NFL draft and other offseason personnel decisions. He said he feels fine and that "my arm is as good today as it was 10 years ago."

"I'd like to wait 'til training camp," Favre said with a laugh. "But I know I have to make the decision in the next month for their sake."

Favre met last week with Packers general manager Ted Thompson and new coach Mike McCarthy and said he was honest about his mixed feelings.

"I love the team, I love the Packers, and it's not about me, it's about everyone involved and I want to make the right decision for everyone involved," he said.

Favre said he told Thompson if the team doesn't want to wait for him to commit to either playing the 2006 season or retiring, then he should be "cut loose."

"When you sit down and tell a GM, 'I don't know if I can give you everything' -- and I have -- that's usually the first ticket out of town," Favre said.

Thompson told The Associated Press that Favre's comments don't sound dramatically different from what he said when they met last week.

"That's a decision Brett has to make with his family," Thompson said. "They'll get it worked out."Lean toward?!1? WTF dude, you should have RETIRED as in past fuggin tense 2 years ago.

Calcountry
01-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Farve is a jackass for keeping the Packers in the air like this. I think the Packers should just move on and plan like he's not going to be there.They should cut him if he doesn't.

Calcountry
01-30-2006, 03:43 PM
You're thinking of Clitoris Portis and the Rushing Belt.Didn't he look good for Washington in the playoffs? He's the champeen all time rusher.

Calcountry
01-30-2006, 03:45 PM

1 Dan Marino 61,361
2 Brett Favre 53,471

1 Dan Marino 4,967
2 Brett Favre 4,657

1 Dan Marino 420
2 Brett Favre 395

FAXROFL, I thought you meant interceptions not (completion yards)

How many fuggin Int's has he thrown in his career?

Calcountry
01-30-2006, 03:51 PM
Ints-career from NFL.com

277 George Blanda
268 John Hadl
266 Fran Tarkenton

255 Brett Favre

Most in a season for Favre was this past year, 29

42 in a season is the record by George BlandaYou know, I hope he comes back and makes a run at that record.

JBucc
01-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't hate Farve like say Mannings or Plummers, but I like most here can't stand the way the media talks about how great he is when he sucks lately. Yeah he used to be great but he's old and makes stupid decisions now. Time to move on Packers let what's his face take over and see if he's any good.

FAX
01-30-2006, 04:11 PM
You know, I hope he comes back and makes a run at that record.

I totally agree, Mr. bunnytrdr. Plus, I really like the way he slings the ball so energetically off his back foot into a pack of enemies as if he were storming Beirut with hand grenades.

FAX

Deberg_1990
01-30-2006, 04:30 PM
What will John Madden do now?? Whos knob will he slobber all over now???