PDA

View Full Version : Ticket question

badgirl
01-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Yesterday, I passed a State Trooper who said I passed the patrol car paced at 80mph, my speedometer doesn't work, thanks to autozone, but thats another story. If I was pacing him at 80 as he said , he had to be going close to that speed himself, how doesn't he know I was only going 72 or something to get past him? He said he was going the speed limit, so it doesn't mean I was going 80 to get around him. Should I go to court on this or just mail in the ticket?

jspchief
01-31-2006, 07:54 AM
The fact that you have no idea how fast you were really going tells me you should just take your lumps.

And get your speedometer fixed.

Smed1065
01-31-2006, 07:57 AM
From my experiences, if it comes down to the officer's opinion versus yours, you usually lose. It would depend on the number of points and accidents on your record as well. The cost of a lawyer is probably not worth it, especially if they know your speedometer does not work.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 07:57 AM
The fact that you have no idea how fast you were really going tells me you should just take your lumps.

And get your speedometer fixed.
I have a 2001 ford Explorer, Autozone sold me a alt. which something was wrong with, it sent a surge of power through my voltage regulator and skipped the fuses, which burned up the wiring in my dash, so nothing on my dash works or the power windows, its not gonna be a simple speedometer, its all the wiring to be replaced

badgirl
01-31-2006, 07:58 AM
From my experiences, if it comes down to the officer's opinion versus yours, you usually lose. It would depend on the number of points and accidents on your record as well. The cost of a lawyer is probably not worth it, especially if they know your speedometer does not work.
yea, i guess so. :deevee:

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Passing cops is not a good idea. Especially when you don't know how fast you are going.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:04 AM
Passing cops is not a good idea. Especially when you don't know how fast you are going.
I was in a hurry, but yea I know, it was a marked patrol car too, I knew what I was doing I just had to get here for a meeting and thought I was going to be late.

He also gave me a ticket for no seatbelts :banghead:

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 08:12 AM
I was in a hurry, but yea I know, it was a marked patrol car too, I knew what I was doing I just had to get here for a meeting and thought I was going to be late.

What's that going to cost?

Rogcop_3121
01-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Yesterday, I passed a State Trooper who said I passed the patrol car paced at 80mph, my speedometer doesn't work, thanks to autozone, but thats another story. If I was pacing him at 80 as he said , he had to be going close to that speed himself, how doesn't he know I was only going 72 or something to get past him? He said he was going the speed limit, so it doesn't mean I was going 80 to get around him. Should I go to court on this or just mail in the ticket?

Cops can visually estimate speeds, write citations based upon their visual estmates. In radar training you must b abl to look at a car and estimate within 5 mp of the actual speed of the vehicle you estimate. Sorry but mail it in, he got you.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:13 AM
What's that going to cost?
I haven't called yet, but I was told by one of the guys here at the dealership that if you get stopped by a trooper it a flat 165.00 to start, so I am screwed, I might as well just mail it and skip the court costs.

Rogcop_3121
01-31-2006, 08:14 AM

Skip you are soo right, it is a bad choice. Why would you want a cop behind you? I have people pass me all the time, I don't understand why?

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Cops can visually estimate speeds, write citations based upon their visual estmates. In radar training you must b abl to look at a car and estimate within 5 mp of the actual speed of the vehicle you estimate. Sorry but mail it in, he got you.
I hope your visal estimations are better than your spelling.

Inspector
01-31-2006, 08:16 AM
You must serve time at a maximum security prison.

Sorry. You have no choice. Criminal.

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 08:17 AM
I haven't called yet, but I was told by one of the guys here at the dealership that if you get stopped by a trooper it a flat 165.00 to start, so I am screwed, I might as well just mail it and skip the court costs.
I'll bet you get the court costs anyway. It's just a money grab.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:18 AM
I'll bet you get the court costs anyway. It's just a money grab.
I agree, they really don't care about your safety its all a money game

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:19 AM
You must serve time at a maximum security prison.

Sorry. You have no choice. Criminal.
:deevee: :deevee:

Wait a minute, are handcuffs involved :drool:

Saulbadguy
01-31-2006, 08:20 AM
I have a 2001 ford Explorer, Autozone sold me a alt. which something was wrong with, it sent a surge of power through my voltage regulator and skipped the fuses, which burned up the wiring in my dash, so nothing on my dash works or the power windows, its not gonna be a simple speedometer, its all the wiring to be replaced
Then get it replaced.

Inspector
01-31-2006, 08:21 AM
:deevee: :deevee:

Wait a minute, are handcuffs involved :drool:

Hey there you naughty girl...

It's supposed to be punishment.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2006, 08:21 AM
I agree, they really don't care about your safety its all a money game
You are driving around in a vehicle that has no working gauges on the dash, and are talking about safety?

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Then get it replaced.
Damn your brilliant!!!!! I would have never thought of that.

By the way thanks for the B-day rep :rolleyes:

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey there you naughty girl...

It's supposed to be punishment.

ROFL

Saulbadguy
01-31-2006, 08:27 AM
It's also a very bad idea to pass a cop.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:28 AM
It's also a very bad idea to pass a cop.
Right again, damn baby your on a roll this morning

Rogcop_3121
01-31-2006, 08:31 AM
Some V&T tickets can be reduced to minimize the fines, like the seatbelt deal. Hopefully the judge will give you a break so that if you agree to plead guilt to the speed. I would try that, good luck.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 08:32 AM
Some V&T tickets can be reduced to minimize the fines, like the seatbelt deal. Hopefully the judge will give you a break so that if you agree to plead guilt to the speed. I would try that, good luck.
Thanks.

kc rush
01-31-2006, 08:53 AM
You might check with a traffic lawyer to see what they will charge. A lot of times they will go in front of the judge and say that you had faulty equipment (your speedometer). You will have to pay court costs and the lawyer fee, but it wont cost you points on your license and your insurance wont be affected.

Extra Point
01-31-2006, 08:56 AM
Get the speedometer fixed. You can probably find a wiring harness on the web cheap enough.

Finding a policeman who doesn't speed just getting from point A to point B is a rarity. I don't mind getting ticketed if I FU'd, but it chaps my hide when law enforcers speed.

HMc
01-31-2006, 09:11 AM
Why weren't you wearing your seatbelt?

Rogcop_3121
01-31-2006, 09:19 AM
You might check with a traffic lawyer to see what they will charge. A lot of times they will go in front of the judge and say that you had faulty equipment (your speedometer). You will have to pay court costs and the lawyer fee, but it wont cost you points on your license and your insurance wont be affected.

Faulty equipment is not an excuse for any violation of the vehicle and traffic law. You must really like spending money to hire a lawyer plus pay ticket fines and court surcharges, a lawyer can't do s#$t for you. What can he say to the judge, that you cannot. If you have a clean driving history, go see the DA and get it reduced t a non-moving violation.

Iowanian
01-31-2006, 09:27 AM
Have your boyfriend give him the big one.

If you were simple enough to pass a fargin trooper, its on you. Pay the fine.

Maybe you should have just offered to take a couple of puffs on his breathalizer.

Eleazar
01-31-2006, 09:32 AM

No kidding. :shake:

trndobrd
01-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Faulty equipment is not an excuse for any violation of the vehicle and traffic law. You must really like spending money to hire a lawyer plus pay ticket fines and court surcharges, a lawyer can't do s#$t for you. What can he say to the judge, that you cannot. If you have a clean driving history, go see the DA and get it reduced t a non-moving violation.

This ticket would be quite easy to beat. I would definitely talk to a traffic attorney.

If the officer claims he was going the speed limit the City should be able to produce the most recent certification from the speedometer on the patrol vehicle. You could also demand all service records for the vehicle, in case there were any tire changes, transmission services, etc which might affect the accuracy of the spedometer.

The officer claims he was going the speedlimit, which implies that the was continually watching his speedometer. He would also have to be watching the passing vehicle at the same time. It is impossible to watch two things in different directions at the same time. How is the officer certain at any particular point in time as to the exact speed.

While the officer might be able to accurately testify that he was passed, he cannot testify as to the exact speed of the vehicle. Even if he is trained, which is not the same as 100% accurate, to determine the speed of moving vehicles there is still a question of +/- 5mph. I guessing (and could certainly inquire at trial) if the training includes making the speed determination passing parallel to the officer's own moving vehicle. Is that particular task tested? How is it tested? Does the officer have a certification?

I could go on, but I think you get the idea that there are plenty of ways to develop reasonable doubt. Non-radar speeding cases are simple to win. You need to go see an attorney, and wear your seatbelt on the way.

Bob Dole
01-31-2006, 09:49 AM

You're lucky you didn't get a third for a defective motor vehicle.

jspchief
01-31-2006, 09:57 AM
While the officer might be able to accurately testify that he was passed, he cannot testify as to the exact speed of the vehicle.What if he had his vehicle on cruise control?

Saulbadguy
01-31-2006, 09:59 AM
What does it really matter? If she takes it to court, she will surely lose. Even if she did have a case, look who you are talking about.

But, might as well take it to court and hope the officer doesn't show up a few times if you want to delay your payment. You have to pay for court costs anyways.

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 10:00 AM
A friend of mine is a state trooper, and he laughs that whenever he drives down the road, hardly anyone will pass him, no matter how slow he goes.

trndobrd
01-31-2006, 10:08 AM
What if he had his vehicle on cruise control?

That doesn't make his spedometer any more or less accurate. Besides, even on cruise the speed of a vehicle increase and decreases as road conditions change and the system catches up.

badgirl
01-31-2006, 10:21 AM
What does it really matter? If she takes it to court, she will surely lose. Even if she did have a case, look who you are talking about.

HEY!!!! :mad:

I think I can beat it, but I'll probably just pay it and stay out of the red tape zone.

Phobia
01-31-2006, 10:28 AM
The fact that you passed a cop with a non-functioning speedometer is bad enough. But now you're posting it. That's plain silly. When I do something really stupid, I keep it to myself.

You may elect to replace that Ford soon. Especially since GM is now putting food on your table.

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 10:30 AM
When I do something really stupid, I keep it to myself.

Having read about 50,000 posts from you, I find this one the most shocking of all.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2006, 10:32 AM
HEY!!!! :mad:

I think I can beat it, but I'll probably just pay it and stay out of the red tape zone.
Don't do that. Go ahead and fight it, and tell us how it turns out. Please?

Phobia
01-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Having read about 50,000 posts from you, I find this one the most shocking of all.

The key word there was "really". I still share the plain old "stupid" stories. I'll take the really stupid stories to the grave.

Eleazar
01-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Don't do that. Go ahead and fight it, and tell us how it turns out. Please?

Now Saul. You wouldn't be encouraging her to do something (even more) foolish purely for your personal amusement would you? :evil:

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 10:40 AM
The key word there was "really". I still share the plain old "stupid" stories. I'll take the really stupid stories to the grave.
So leaving your vehicle unattended in Mexico is just plain stupid?

Phobia
01-31-2006, 10:47 AM
So leaving your vehicle unattended in Mexico is just plain stupid?

Yeah. I'm not very bright at all. If I told you all the other really stupid shit, you would think I was really dumb.

Brock
01-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Maybe your bf can give the judge "a really big bribe".

dj56dt58
01-31-2006, 12:08 PM
don't ever just send in a fine. If you go to court, usually worst case scenario is you at least get the fine lessened.

savedin79
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Give it up, you would never win.

Rogcop_3121
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
don't ever just send in a fine. If you go to court, usually worst case scenario is you at least get the fine lessened.

Go see the district attorney, he/she will likely reduce one of the violations for you. Sometimes I write two tickets knowing to an operator knowing that one of the two will get tossed. Don't mail in the tickets. Go to court.

Iowanian
01-31-2006, 06:42 PM
I'll pass a cop that's being a d!ck and driving 45 on the hwy....and on the way by, wish him a 'roid the size of Phildo's head, and a concrete car seat.

ChiefsFire
01-31-2006, 06:46 PM
did ya try flashin him some tit and thigh??

the doughtnut brigade here say they let alotta people off if they do that...i hope just the women though

Rogcop_3121
01-31-2006, 06:51 PM
did ya try flashin him some tit and thigh??

the doughtnut brigade here say they let alotta people off if they do that...i hope just the women though

I never let hot chicks go, if they pull something like that or cry. Thats a great way to end a career, sexual harassment- um no. Ma'am today you are being cited with . . . . . . However, if the woman is just plain honest, they have a much better chance of me giving them a warning.

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 06:54 PM
I never let hot chicks go, if they pull something like that or cry. Thats a great way to end a career, sexual harassment- um no. Ma'am today you are being cited with . . . . . . However, if the woman is just plain honest, they have a much better chance of me giving them a warning.
Aren't you supposed to decide whether they get a ticket or a warning before you talk to them? To avoid an "attitude arrest"?

chiefs4me
01-31-2006, 08:16 PM
Have your boyfriend give him the big one.

If you were simple enough to pass a fargin trooper, its on you. Pay the fine.

Maybe you should have just offered to take a couple of puffs on his breathalizer.

ROFL :D