PDA

View Full Version : Salaries and Job Changes

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Assume that you like your job. It's got its challenges, and you sometimes work long hours, but overall it's interesting and you don't mind coming to work in the mornings. There's a good career path for you as long as you do good work, and you like your boss and the company. You're very important in your firm, and are valued in your role.

Now imagine that you get a job offer from another company. The working environment is more austere, with fewer perks and fewer luxuries (e.g., older equipment, smaller cube or office, etc.), and the career path is based mostly on seniority rather than merit. You go home after precisely eight hours of work, and there's seldom anything beyond 40 hours. You think your boss seems good from the interview, but know nothing else about him/her. The work will be slightly to moderately less interesting than that in your current job, but still okay. You'll probably be valued, but at the same time you're going to be one of a large group of people, and no one can really become a star.

What is the lowest salary you'd require to make the switch? What would be your motivating factors?

4th and Long
01-31-2006, 08:44 PM
The more of these hypothetical threads you post, the more convinced I am that we are all rats in your personal laboratory. I refuse to run the maze and chase down the cheese for your entertainment.

:p

Bootlegged
01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Stay in your office. You're the boss and can sexually harrass your young female employees without fear of HR.

tyton75
01-31-2006, 08:46 PM
If, every Tuesday, they allowed me to lay brains on the copier and tape the copy to my boss's freaking door.

Skip Towne
01-31-2006, 08:47 PM
The more of these hypothetical threads you post, the more convinced I am that we are all rats in your personal laboratory. I refuse to run the maze and chase down the cheese for your entertainment.

We've been doing his work for him for 5 years.

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 08:50 PM

Come on. It's cheddar today. Good stuff.

robags0817
01-31-2006, 08:52 PM
I would ask for at least 6% increase to even consider it. I work in pharma sales and that seems to be the industry standard as far as starting point in the negotiation to switch to a different company. But it also depends on you financially if you need more money than you might have to buck up and go for the money, but if your inancially stable than I would probably expect more only becasue all the chnage and negatives have to be outweighed by the money being offered

4th and Long
01-31-2006, 08:53 PM
We've been doing his work for him for 5 years.
I know! :cuss:

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 08:54 PM
I know! :cuss:

Extra sharp cheddar. The best kind.

4th and Long
01-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Cheddar you say? :hmmm:

Just as I was about to change my mind and do your work for you again ... err ... I mean, ... answer your hypothetical question, I suddenly developed lactose intolerance.

Hoover
01-31-2006, 08:56 PM
Sounds like a move to a Govt job

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a move to a Govt job

I must've painted that picture pretty well.

OldTownChief
01-31-2006, 08:59 PM

I love cheddar day.

ck_IN
01-31-2006, 09:02 PM
You don't paint a very appealing picture.

Not much of a career path.
Fewer nicities at the office
Potential boss is an unknown commodity
Less interesting work.

About the only positive is the strict 40hr work week. (This means this job is NOT in IT!)

I don't see any reason in that scenario to make a change.

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 09:04 PM
You don't paint a very appealing picture.

Not much of a career path.
Fewer nicities at the office
Potential boss is an unknown commodity
Less interesting work.

About the only positive is the strict 40hr work week. (This means this job is NOT in IT!)

I don't see any reason in that scenario to make a change.

So extra money wouldn't make up for these shortfalls?

Bugeater
01-31-2006, 09:05 PM
Make it smoked Gouda and I'll vote.

Rain Man
01-31-2006, 09:11 PM

Sure thing. Just go over there and press on that bar a bunch of times, and some smoked gouda will fall down that chute. Probably.

Dave Lane
01-31-2006, 09:12 PM
I haven't had a job since 1980. So 26 years without a job pretty much doesn't matter about the increase.

Dave

Simplex3
01-31-2006, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't do it. I make more than I need to live already, I'm all about positioning myself to do things that interrest me and have potential. I'm probably outside the norm there, however.

ck_IN
01-31-2006, 09:13 PM
<i>So extra money wouldn't make up for these shortfalls?</i>

No because I think over time the money would even out.

1. Little career path vs clear career path.

Promotions = more money. Clear career path = promotions. No career path <> promotions

2. Less interesting work

At least in IT this means less advanced technology. That translates into a stiffled skillset. Advanced technology = current skillset = more money or at least leverage while negotiating.

Last but not least if you're working for jackazzes then the money kinda pales in importance. (My current situation *L*)

Extra Point
01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
I refuse to run the maze and chase down the cheese for your entertainment.

Me, too. Well, at least if I don't get too winded.........

KChiefsQT
01-31-2006, 10:26 PM
ROFL

Logical
02-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Seems like the definition of perks is important in this equation. Luxury box access to all Chiefs home games would be quite a perk as an example. Stock options as perks? Great insurance vs. adequate insurance?

Demonpenz
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
do they drug test at the new job>

cdcox
02-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I'd do it for a salary increase of around 40%. I'd be giving up too many things I enjoy to do it for less. That kind of income increase together with the free time would be enough to give up being a workaholic.

KC Jones
02-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Assume that you like your job.

You lost me right there.

chagrin
02-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I just took a new one and sacrificed 30% benefit reduction, as in how much they will pay of my medical expenses - but the bonus structure has much more potential, and I also only work 6 hours a day - from 9-4.

Giggitty!

Skip Towne
02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I just took a new one and sacrificed 30% benefit reduction, as in how much they will pay of my medical expenses - but the bonus structure has much more potential, and I also only work 6 hours a day - from 9-4.

Giggitty!
Do you consider posting on the Planet "work"?

Dunit35
02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't leave the job.

luv
02-03-2006, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't leave my job. Although I am in supervision, I am still hourly as an assistant. I average 5 hours of OT per week, and about one week a month I get nearly 10 hours. Also, it's not so much the prestige of being in a slightly higher position, but it's the fact that I feel I can make a difference for my employees. Also, while an increase in pay would be nice, I am doing just fine on what I'm making right now. I know that I will get a 5% increase in my salary every year.